• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bish's Official GTA IV Thread of Comparisons and Ignoring the OP at One's Peril

Raistlin

dallow_bg said:
I think the only game that has ever stated "LPCM" as a choice was Uncharted.

Resistance outputs lossless if you support it, and DD5.1 as default if not.
Wondering if GTAIV did that as well. (well, as pretty much every other game with PCM and DD5.1)

I just checked ... my pre/pro is receiving multi-channel PCM :)

lowrider007 said:
PS3
http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/4913/wmplayer200804280036497sh8.png[IMG]

[IMG]http://imk.cx/screenshots/xbox360/Grand%20Theft%20Auto%20IV/compare.png[IMG]

In regards to aliasing, I've seen quite a few 360 screenies now and I really feel that the 360 version has less jaggies, look at the steps in the above pictures, the steps in the 360 version almost look they they have 2xAA apllied to them, and thats even with it being sharper.[/QUOTE]
Yup, that's the difference between the two versions, PS3 tries to mask it by lowering the resolution giving it a smooth look.. but sometimes thats not enough to had the fact it has no AA.

Raistlin

duk said:
Is it possible to tweak the TV settings to get a bit more warmer color out of the 360 version? I know my TV has a 'warm' color setting.

:p

I'm not sure if you can completely replicate it (different lighting, etc) ...

... but you should note that when talking about color temperatures (which is what your TV is referring to) ... it has the opposite effect of what you're thinking. A warmer color temperature yields what we would consider cooler colors (more blue, etc.) ... while a colder color temperatures increases red, etc.

vpance

The lighting has its moments and is generally pretty nice, but only after tweaking the brightness and contrast settings in game. But overall the blur filter and bad aliasing combined distracts too much. Scoring 10 for graphics out of the box at least seems insane unless you play on a tiny CRT.

conman

I've spent a good chunk of the day now jumping back and forth between playing the two versions (I'll sell the one I ultimately decide against).

Regardless of which one is "better," there's absolutely a very noticeable difference between the two. Screenshots and videos don't do the difference justice. It's a pretty stark contrast, IMO. As others have stated, 360 version is crisp and vibrant; PS3 version is muted and filtered. I wish I could combine elements of both versions:

--I really like the more muted look of the PS3 version (very cinematic and gritty), but I don't like the blurred textures. You also really notice the jaggies on the PS3 version on power lines, fences, and scaffolding.

--And I really like the sharp, clear textures of the 360 version (great details, especially on building facades), but I don't like the cartoony look. Even with the in-game visual settings adjusted, it still looks too clear and bright. Also, during cinematics, the characters get that weird next-gen lighting shimmer that makes characters look like they've been swimming in oil (the PS3 version doesn't have this).

Anyhow, I've been looking at both versions all day, and I'm still not sure which one I would rather keep. They both have their graphical strengths and weaknesses.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Bebpo said:
Flipping back through the pages I just saw this post.

What you said applies to something like Halo 3. Halo 3 has jaggies but the lighting is godly and the game can look really good at times.

I can't agree with it here with GTAIV though. It's not just the jaggies. The game IQ is just bad IMO. Even the lighting is too strong. It's either way too dark or way too bright. Reminds me of like PGR3's hdr. I like the color changes that go along with the time of day, but that's about it.

Then again, unlike you I haven't put a decent amount of time in. So maybe the subtle beauty type stuff will appear after hours of playing and noticing cool looking things.
Give it more time.

Perhaps you won't change your mind, but I love the way the game looks. It really does remind me of Wreckless in how it appears. I prefer the image quality here to Halo 3. It really looks very unique. Games like Crackdown and Saints Row are far less appealing to me in that they have a very defined "game" look. GTAIV looks very different.

I'm curious as to how it will appear on a CRT, however. Plasma has a higher ANSI contrast and I've found that it does a much better job when dealing with simultaneously bright and dark areas. On my CRT, such an image loses detail. I have no issues with seeing everything within the darker areas while still experiencing the bright highlights.

I prefer the IQ here over Halo 3 simply due to its soft appearance. They use a lot of post processing where as Halo 3 was completely devoid of it. I suppose this will be a matter of opinion.

My only complaint remains the framerate (which is still *MUCH* better than Saints Row - a game which I've played recently). Crackdown likely runs much smoother as it uses a very basic lighting model (no realtime shadows from objects, no HDR, etc.). Saints Row doesn't seem to use HDR of any sort, but it does contain realtime shadows (which I believe look worse than those in GTAIV).

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
lowrider007 said:
PS3

In regards to aliasing, I've seen quite a few 360 screenies now and I really feel that the 360 version has less jaggies, look at the steps in the above pictures, the steps in the 360 version almost look they they have 2xAA apllied to them, and thats even with it being sharper.

That's really what the 360 looks like? Judging from the videos, it didn't seem the difference was that major...whoa.

Phoenix

All I can say is that the PS3 has this somewhat muddy blurry feel to it, probably as a result of resampling the textures due to the way the PS3 allocated video memory.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Phoenix said:
All I can say is that the PS3 has this somewhat muddy blurry feel to it, probably as a result of resampling the textures due to the way the PS3 allocated video memory.
Eh? The textures are the same between the two versions. That was a huge complaint of mine with CoD4 on PS3, but that isn't the case here. It's a matter of resolution, that's all there is to it.

Phoenix

dark10x said:
Eh? The textures are the same between the two versions. That was a huge complaint of mine with CoD4 on PS3, but that isn't the case here. It's a matter of resolution, that's all there is to it.

I dunno, after looking at lowrider007s shot above I see it as clearly as when its playing on my big screen.

DeadGzuz

Banned
chubigans said:
That's really what the 360 looks like? Judging from the videos, it didn't seem the difference was that major...whoa.

Just ignore all that annoying dithering, read the burger signs, both the near one and all the far ones on the menus. it's a trade off.

ypo

lowrider007 said:
PS3

In regards to aliasing, I've seen quite a few 360 screenies now and I really feel that the 360 version has less jaggies, look at the steps in the above pictures, the steps in the 360 version almost look they they have 2xAA apllied to them, and thats even with it being sharper.

umm if you look at rest of image there're places where the PS3 has less aliasing. like the pillars, the hand rails, the counter, the green and red lights in the back, etc, etc...

Brashnir

Diablos said:
GUYS I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO

I have a 360 and PS3.

I called Circuit City and they have some copies for both.

360 version is sharper, but more texture pop-in and of course that weird dithering effect.

PS3 version has more vibrant color, but not as detailed it seems, no dithering effect though (yes I know it's not true HD but it's damn close and it's upscaling anyway). Also load times are better.

I don't know which copy to get. Help me, GAF.

If you don't care about DLC, Achievements, paying for Xbox Live, don't a controller preference, and aren't bogged down by fanboy nonsense, just flip a coin. You can't go wrong on this one. It's better to just get one or the other and enjoy it than to sit on the sidelines and wait due to indecision or fear of getting the "inferior" one.

Phoenix

Brashnir said:
If you don't care about DLC, Achievements, paying for Xbox Live, don't a controller preference, and aren't bogged down by fanboy nonsense, just flip a coin. You can't go wrong on this one. It's better to just get one or the other and enjoy it than to sit on the sidelines and wait due to indecision or fear of getting the "inferior" one.

Depends on whether or not the online gaming experience is compatible between the consoles. Not sure about that myself. If so, you're more or less compelled to go with the XBox version to have a larger audience. I don't have that option myself, but that would be what compelled me to head in that direction given the option of either console.

Schrade

I just bought the game today and I'm wondering how the heck this game is getting 10s for graphics :-/ Mine's a PS3 version but still.. even looking at the Xbox 360 pics I can't see a 10 there.

I would give the graphics something between 9.0 and 9.5.

Schrade

lowrider007 said:
Sorry mate, I've rehosted the pictures in my original post using TinyPic, hope thats OK, if not PM me a host url that is safe.
TinyPic is ok and is probably the preferred hosting for pics on here.

conman

Surfheart said:
What was your experience with the framerate between the two?
I can't be sure, but I feel like on the PS3 version I keep running into these occasional "hiccups." It's not the framerate taking a hit; it's more like a brief pause for loading. Once it was long enough that I thought the game had locked up. Mostly it's just these occasional pauses while I'm driving. This is on the 60gig PS3, so maybe this is related to the other reported lockup issues?

I haven't hit the same things on the 360 version. Overall, though, the framerates seem indistinguishable.

I didn't say this above (since everyone else has already pointed it out ad nauseum), but I have definitely run into sudden texture pop-in on the 360 version (often it's at very close range, so it's very noticeable; and it's usually buildings, but sometimes it's the trees).

Anyhow, as we're finally starting to recognize, this is all about trade-offs. No, the two versions aren't graphically identical. No, one version isn't superior. Yes, they both have visual advantages over the other. Yes, the both have visual disadvantages against the other.

The crap of it is that I still don't know which version I prefer. Once I figure that out, I can finally focus on one game and start really playing. This is driving me nuts.

EDIT: Also, I don't know if this was random or if this is something that's already been pointed out:

Content difference: during first date, when it shows strippers during the tutorial explaining the different things you can do on a date, in the PS3 version the stripper doing the pole dance had black-tape X's over her boobs. In the 360 version, she had a bikini top.

Randomly generated? If this is deliberate, are there other similar differences?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Played the PS3 ver. for about an hour (works perfectly on my 60GB) and I too can report that it indeed looks just like those IGN screens posted around yesterday. It has such deep, rich look to it, it's really a joy to look at.

I can see the aliasing, but it's been masked pretty damn well for the most part, that it never bothered me, and I never noticed it unless I was specifficaly looking for it. Plasma TV helps with this I assume, it always alleviates aliasing problems a bit compared to LCD. This combined with the wonderful colors it's showing in the game, makes me happy to have plasma for the n'th time :-D

Framerate has been really fine so far, it seemed even better than what I've seen in videos. Haven't noticed any obvious object popup either. The game feels so much more polished technically than any of the previous GTAs. Controls so much better, animates so much better, framerate is much, much better, and it's just so much fun to play - it's really proves who's the king in town when it comes to sandbox free roaming games.

What especially surprised me was that the game animates and controls so good. Coming from the recent Uncharted high, this doesn't feel that much inferior at all, which is a huge accomplishment for GTA series. Character control and animation is slightly more clumsy and inert, but just the fact that I can mention GTA game in the same breath as the game made by Naughty Dog, is mind blowing to me.

I can also confirm that the PS3 ver. also has dithered shadows, but it's been hiding it very well so far. I probably wouldn't even notice if I wasn't aimlessly running on the beach and found some long, stretched shadow there that I could carefully inspect. Other objects, like those signs and other things in the distance are not dithered however.

conman said:
I can't be sure, but I feel like on the PS3 version I keep running into these occasional "hiccups." It's not the framerate taking a hit; it's more like a brief pause for loading. Once it was long enough that I thought the game had locked up. Mostly it's just these occasional pauses while I'm driving. This is on the 60gig PS3, so maybe this is related to the other reported lockup issues?
It might be :\ I can say with utmost certainty that it's not normal - I haven't seen anything like that in my play time so far.

Raistlin

ypo said:
umm if you look at rest of image there're places where the PS3 has less aliasing. like the pillars, the hand rails, the counter, the green and red lights in the back, etc, etc...

That's what's so confusing about the PS3 version. Certain parts of it have aliasing that is quite noticeable, while other parts have a really smooth image.

Raistlin

Marconelly said:
It might be :\ I can say with utmost certainty that it's not normal - I haven't seen anything like that in my play time so far.

Neither have I.

I will say that when you really start cruising in the car though, the framerate takes a nose-dive. Certainly not unplayable, but it's obvious you're play GTA :p

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
JB1981 said:
im pretty disappointed with the gfx too

you and me both brotha!

I can appreciate all the shyt that is going on i nthe game but still doesn't look too hot.
Which is also wierd, is that I experience little hickups (.5 pauses) but its random and doesn't really effect the gameplay.

conman said:
I've spent a good chunk of the day now jumping back and forth between playing the two versions (I'll sell the one I ultimately decide against).

Regardless of which one is "better," there's absolutely a very noticeable difference between the two. Screenshots and videos don't do the difference justice. It's a pretty stark contrast, IMO. As others have stated, 360 version is crisp and vibrant; PS3 version is muted and filtered. I wish I could combine elements of both versions:

--I really like the more muted look of the PS3 version (very cinematic and gritty), but I don't like the blurred textures. You also really notice the jaggies on the PS3 version on power lines, fences, and scaffolding.

--And I really like the sharp, clear textures of the 360 version (great details, especially on building facades), but I don't like the cartoony look. Even with the in-game visual settings adjusted, it still looks too clear and bright. Also, during cinematics, the characters get that weird next-gen lighting shimmer that makes characters look like they've been swimming in oil (the PS3 version doesn't have this).

Anyhow, I've been looking at both versions all day, and I'm still not sure which one I would rather keep. They both have their graphical strengths and weaknesses.

for those who want gritty, turn the saturation down in the options. you want colorful then turn it up.

GreekWolf

g35twinturbo said:
you and me both brotha!

I can appreciate all the shyt that is going on i nthe game but still doesn't look too hot.
Which is also wierd, is that I experience little hickups (.5 pauses) but its random and doesn't really effect the gameplay.
Hate to admit it, but I've already grown tired of this generation, with its ram limitations and woefully underpowered graphic cards. I'm ready for next-gen to arrive, where it'll be possible to enjoy these sandbox games in proper HD, with high resolution textures, zero pop-in, and all at an acceptable framerate.

Yama

I have a 46" 1080p XBR-3. Should I force the game to run at 1080p, or continue playing in 720p which it prioritizes for this game. I tried MLB 08 The Show in 1080p and the game was incredibly choppy. Does this one suffer at a higher resolution in the same way? If not why is it set to run at 720p > 1080p?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
ypo said:
It could be that the upscaling is blurring things a bit and that softens the edges, but I don't know. How much blur can the horizontal 1150 -> 1280 resize produce? That pillar on the left or that green light up there look like they have some AA going, same with some other spots. But other spots pretty visibly have no AA. Maybe it's some selective AA algorithm (wouldn't be the first time)?

MobiusPigeon said:
for those who want gritty, turn the saturation down in the options. you want colorful then turn it up.
It's not just that. It really isn't. i tried changing those settings, and while it changes colors, the basic look still stays the same. It has that same filtered look and depth to it even when I put saturation all the way down.

Also, during cinematics, the characters get that weird next-gen lighting shimmer that makes characters look like they've been swimming in oil (the PS3 version doesn't have this).
Yep, I've been thinking their skin looks different ever since I saw that comparison video, and I really don't think it's just a color adjustment change.

Yama said:
I have a 46" 1080p XBR-3. Should I force the game to run at 1080p, or continue playing in 720p which it prioritizes for this game. I tried MLB 08 The Show in 1080p and the game was incredibly choppy. Does this one suffer at a higher resolution in the same way? If not why is it set to run at 720p > 1080p?
PS3 ver. is natively rendering at 1152x640 and then upscaling that to 720p or 1080i/p. If the game is going for 720p, it's the best to leave it like that despite that you have 1080p TV. Either the TV or the console would have to upscale to 1080p, but the base resolution is still going to be 1150x640.

Surfheart

GreekWolf said:
Hate to admit it, but I've already grown tired of this generation, with its ram limitations and woefully underpowered graphic cards. I'm ready for next-gen to arrive, where it'll be possible to enjoy these sandbox games in proper HD, with high resolution textures, zero pop-in, and all at an acceptable framerate.

Shit yeah bring it on! :D

Yama said:

Well that's interesting. Can anyone confirm this? It may have been why I thought the 360 had a better framerate. I'll have to doublecheck what my friend had set in the xmb.

t0va

anyone with an LG and a copy of the 360 version; try using dynamic color and high saturation ingame. this has made my game look more vibrant than any screenshot i've seen thus far for either version. stay away from dynamic contrast though. :D :D :D

duk

Banned
GreekWolf said:

nah because next gen will have next gen effects and issues to deal with still, there will always be limitations and trade offs. one would hope that next gen would bring 1080p with 8xAA, FP16 HDR at least, and a min of rock solid 30fps.

Surfheart

duk said:
nah because next gen will have next gen effects and issues to deal with still, there will always be limitations and trade offs. one would hope that next gen would bring 1080p with 8xAA, FP16 HDR at least, and a min of rock solid 30fps.

Eh, you are right duk. :(

GreekWolf

duk said:
Well that's true to an extent, but I think this gen has greatly suffered from making the transition of SD to HD on a measly 512MB ram, which is exactly why so many concessions have had to be made. Yeah, there will always be overly ambitious devs with grandiose projects that'll bring a system to its knees but, by and large, I just don't envision the same level of limitations which have defined this particular generation.

Bebpo

Banned
GreekWolf said:
I'm ready for next-gen to arrive, where it'll be possible to enjoy these sandbox games in proper HD, with high resolution textures, zero pop-in, and all at an acceptable framerate.

Crackdown!

manxor

<lowrider007 bowling alley images>
Huh. I'm playing on 360, but my overall image/contrast looks exactly like your PS3 captures. Identical. I'm on Component 1080i, RP-CRT and its nowhere near as bright as your 360 caps. I'm curious, were your shots captured through HDMI?

G-Bus

Banned
conman said:

I've been getting this. I really hope this is something they can fix with a patch.

60 GB also.

CowboyAstronaut said:
I've already done just that successfully with a small bit of toying around with the tint, advanced picture setting's color temperature option and a slight adjustment to the backlight on my HDTV, but I put it back to my original settings because I figure rockstar had it like that for a reason so I'll check it out.

Going a bit further, I wouldn't even need to touch any other setting other than my color temperature setting on my HDTV to come damn near identical to the ps3's colors and in an instant back to the 360's colors.

Couldn't agree more.
Uh the reason for the colour differences in multiplatform games for 360 and PS3 is due to PS3 being built as a media device from the ground up. It's puts out a very good colour profile. I remember it was discussed a while back and that was the explanation, people were complaining about PS3 games looking "washed out" compared to the darker 360 games.

The reason 360 games have a more contrasted image is because the PS3 outputs a proper 2.2 gamma signal, whereas the 360 is closer to 2.6

So, I take it that both versions are fine, and there isn't a clear "winner" in terms of visuals or performance, correct?

I have both systems, and right now I'm leaning toward the PS3 version just because of controller preference.

I know this isn't the most "technical" differentiation between the two versions, as I guess it's pretty subjective, but having compared the first 45 minutes or so of gameplay on both consoles (from the beginning through the first date with Michelle), the colors of the 360 version seem to better reproduce the look of the posters for the game that I've seen all over NYC (ditto the look of the GTA IV avatar icons at the Rockstar Social Club). That's enough to make me want to move forward with the game on the 360 rather than on the PS3, but I'm certainly going to keep both versions (it helps that, as a member of the press who sometimes covers gaming, I got free copies of both, which showed up after my midnight purchase of a PS3 copy that I'm gonna give to a friend).

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Well, looks like I'm not the only one having complaints about the image quality in that game. I only have the PS3 version for the moment (360 one is on the way), but damn the aliasing really annoys me (keep in mind I've been one of the first here to point that the aliasing in Halo 3 was quite bad), the framerate is all over the place, and the blur is well... blurry.
I didn't play enough to get pop-ins, but honestly I just don't even feel like playing anymore. Call me a graphics whore since I am one, but the technical issues are just too much for me.

SpokkX

dark10x said:
Still, I swear the game is performing much better now that I've played for a while than when I first started. Might be my eyes playing tricks (becoming used to it), but it really doesn't seem to bog down as often. Simply walking around is pretty smooth now.

This is also my experience. Replayed the intro-scene and it ran much smoother than the first time (on PS3). Maybe the game caches stuff besides the initial install?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Can you guys save your screens at a higher JPEG quality? Some of them have horrendous artefacting and you can't tell what's part of the game and what's part just shitty compression.

2real4tv

GreekWolf said:
mann u read my mind

2real4tv

Blimblim said:
Well, looks like I'm not the only one having complaints about the image quality in that game. I only have the PS3 version for the moment (360 one is on the way), but damn the aliasing really annoys me (keep in mind I've been one of the first here to point that the aliasing in Halo 3 was quite bad), the framerate is all over the place, and the blur is well... blurry.
I didn't play enough to get pop-ins, but honestly I just don't even feel like playing anymore. Call me a graphics whore since I am one, but the technical issues are just too much for me.
yeah I also felt the same way about H3 but this is bad....I've only played a little just got my first piece and the game itself is fun but the visuals mostly outdoors have some graphical issues

Pug

Well I have just played the PS3 and the 360 version, I only have the 360 version and have played it for around 4 hours. Colleague of mine brought the PS3 version around and I must admit for me its just plain blurry thats the best way I can describe it. The 360 hasn't got the best IQ either but its much easier on the eyes compared to PS3 version. For me the PS3 version was actually diffciult to play it was like a computer monitor that is slightly out of focus. As for colours well to be honest I couldn't see a massive difference. There is also more jaggies on the PS3 version that was pretty obvious. To be honest Im pretty dissapointed with both versions, yeah Crackdown is different and cartoon like but the IQ in that game is miles beyond GTA4. By the way I was playing on a calibrated Panasonic Plasma

Bebpo

Banned
dark10x said:
Still, I swear the game is performing much better now that I've played for a while than when I first started. Might be my eyes playing tricks (becoming used to it), but it really doesn't seem to bog down as often. Simply walking around is pretty smooth now.

Yeah, actually after playing for an hour or so with the lights off somehow my eyes adjusted and the game started looking pretty nice and it was very immersive with how alive the city was.

One thing that helped was switching the walking camera to the RE4 upclose one so it's almost like FPS. Looks really good, though I wish the camera didn't keep fighting you and pulling control away from you. Either that or I wish there was just an FPS mode.

I think the game looks a lot better on foot than in the cars. None of the car views make you feel like your there. They're all so distant and the hood camera is terrrrrible with the view distance + framerate.

Pug

kurisu74 said:
yes ppl that can't figure out how to properly display hd input make me not want the game too!

Well lots of posters do know how to display a HD input correctly and no matter how you cut it, the IQ quality of the game is poor and blurry to boot.

Top Bottom