• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

bummyhead

boris feinbrand said:
OoT has vastly better pacing. Especially in the crucial parts (beginning, before end) it is more streamlined and has more interesting stuff to do.

I like Twilight Princess, to me it is the ultimate refinement of the OoT formula, but making something perfect often loses some of the charme, and OoT has charme en masse.

The good thing about OoT is that the main quest is practically perfect. From length to content, to variety and pacing.
What boggles my mind is that the TP haters cite pacing as a big issue and yet they all seem to retroactivley love wind Walker which has the most alarmingly bad pacing of any Zelda game consideration the triforce fetch quest at the end.

Mistle

trinest said:
As for OoT I'm raging that everyone gets this game this week bar Australia- aka me. RAGE!
Haha, tell me about it. I mean it's not a huge wait but I want to play it so bad D:

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Izayoi said:
It's Team Ninja's fault!

Hopefully we'll see a Prime game for the 3DS or Cafe. That would make up for it.

You mean Sakamoto/Nintendo's fault. As far as I know Team Ninja are not the ones responsible for Samus's atrocious characterization or the easy gameplay.

Ydahs

Has it been confirmed if this game has three save slots, like the original? I'd rather share it with my brother than having to buy a separate copy.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Ydahs said:
Has it been confirmed if this game has three save slots, like the original? I'd rather share it with my brother than having to buy a separate copy.

3 slots for OoT 3D, 3 slots for Master Quest.

Ahhhhh it's almost time! I think this will be the first time I'm happy to be unemployed haha.
Gotta finish Link's Awakening and Spirit Tracks in four days!
Overloading on Zelda at the moment and love every minute :)

Peru

I've touched on the game several times since my one time finishing it (back when it was released) -- through virtual console, bonus discs and whatnot, but this will be just the 2nd time for a full play-through. Whether it's a wholly decent thing to release it at full price is another debate - I don't know that it is, but at the same time never doubted that I'd buy it day one. Taking away the dated technical elements ensures I'll have a great experience.

bummyhead said:
What boggles my mind is that the TP haters cite pacing as a big issue and yet they all seem to retroactivley love wind Walker which has the most alarmingly bad pacing of any Zelda game consideration the triforce fetch quest at the end.

Considering that WW is shorter and all than TP, not to mention only has one area of the game has bad pacing compared to numerous like the beginning portion of the game, the in between sections of the first 3 dungeons, and in between the Temple of TIme and City in the Sky, yeeeeah. Nevermind that story wise, it comes to a complete after the 4th dungeon and then doesn't come back until the whole find statues thing a little too late.

rhino4evr

bummyhead said:
I tend to agree...in fact I've never replayed (or do I intend to) Wind Waker based on the feeling I have from the tri force Fetch quest alone.

The tears in wolf form were much more entertaining and interesting on a gameplay stand point. I've replayed TP twice.

I also want to re-state that TP had the best dungeons in the series. And that's what makes it a great game. Watching the skyward sword dungeon demo makes me think the new game will follow it's footsteps. I just hope there are more then 4.

samoset

the-iek said:
Pretty awesome seeing what they did to the ice cavern:

28525.jpg
Aww... I really liked the strange star wallpaper they used to have there. It was really surreal to me when I was younger. Combined with the music the room felt like you had entered a new strange place that was a combination of space and a hall of mirrors. I understand how it was kind of a graphical slump for the game even at the time but it did have a certain kind of charm.

RaidenZR

the-iek said:

28525.jpg

I had totally forgotten about that room's textures. Ughn...

Well, at least now it will have a new coat of paint to burn into my memory.

LayLa

Your order from zavvi has been dispatched and will be with you shortly!
1 The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time (3DS) GBP 26.87 2-5 days*

oooooooh hype! hope its 2 days and not 5....

bummyhead said:
The Wind Waker is the most overrated game in the franchise in my opinion. Strip away the pretty graphics, and you have the most flawed Zelda game in the series. From bad pacing, to tedious travel, to boring and completely forgettable dungeons, and thrown in fetchquests to prolong the game.

An observation I made is that fans claim that those who don't like Wind Waker are "graphics whores" but all those WW fans gloat on about is how pretty WW is.

Sorry that I'm putting all WW fans into one category. I know it's not completely accurate, but I don't see the big deal with Wind Waker, especially with how flawed and tedious the game is.

PooBone

Anyone know of more comparison screens like that one of the ice cavern?

Looks 100x better. I'm gonna be getting a 3DS eventually just for this, probably at the end of summer.

Tadale

bummyhead said:

I think Wind Waker has excellent pacing right up until that part. My complaints with TP are more about how barren the world felt, combined with pretty poor art design and the wolf sections where you're stuck hunting the tears of light or whatever they were called.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
the-iek said:

28525.jpg
Wow, it really has been too long since I've played OoT. Everything except the story is going to feel like a brand new game to me. The wait is starting to hurt now.

mileS

trudderham said:
First review from NowGamer:

*link deleted*
9/10. Pretty much what we expected :)

Edit: woah at the above pic!

getting avast malware pop ups from that site. Great job!

Tadale

ciD_Vain said:
does this play when you're out on the field?

I don't think the game has orchestrated music. I'm willing to bet that's a track from the soundtrack CD you get for registering the game.

Damn, now I want the 3DS for this. Almost tempted to trade in my DSi XL and a few games today and pick up a system and reserve this. I originally backed off buying a 3DS at launch, but this (and a few other games) are making me change my mind.

NIN90

LayLa said:
Your order from zavvi has been dispatched and will be with you shortly!
1 The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time (3DS) GBP 26.87 2-5 days*

oooooooh hype! hope its 2 days and not 5....

Expect 10 days with zavvi.

f@luS

More than a member.
Magicpaint said:
Easy - 2D. OOT was never designed for 3D after all.
you have to be designed for 3d to be good? i mean its video game...all game can be ok for 3D.
for zelda...i like it , but gimme a little bit of headache. and since u have to use giro sometimes...not so good for 3D..

so yeah 2D i think , all this + AA

dk_ said:
Doesn't 3D provide some kind of fake AA? Will play it in 3D for sure.

it looks higher rez, for sure, but not aa

f@luS said:
you have to be designed for 3d to be good? i mean its video game...all game can be ok for 3D.
for zelda...i like it , but gimme a little bit of headache. and since u have to use giro sometimes...not so good for 3D..

so yeah 2D i think , all this + AA
3D has many issues, plus on 3DS it's easy to lose the effect, so if there are no tangible benefits for 3D then I will go 2D for sure. Since OOT was never designed for 3D (and most impressions I've read say the 3D ain't special) then I can safely miss it if it means I gain AA in the process.

f@luS

More than a member.
Magicpaint said:
3D has to many issues, plus on 3DS it's easy to lose the effect, so if there are no tangible benefits for 3D then I will go 2D for sure. Since OOT was never designed for 3D (and most impressions I've read say the 3D ain't special) then I can safely miss it if it means I gain AA in the process.
but ( and foremost why?) does 2d looks so low rez, and 3d look really sharper? ! its not just because of Aa i noticed this in other game too.

i think ill switch from times to times :D
playing in 2D, until i go new area , switch 3D for wow factor, and go back 2d, until new area again :D

f@luS said:
but ( and foremost why?) does 2d looks so low rez, and 3d look really sharper? ! its not just because of Aa i noticed this in other game too.

i think ill switch from times to times :D
playing in 2D, until i go new area , switch 3D for wow factor, and go back 2d, until new area again :D
I dunno, I didn't notice that 2D look lower res (what the hell) or even less sharp in the pics? Why in the world would that be the case. I guess it varies from game to game or something.

KeeSomething said:
The Wind Waker is the most overrated game in the franchise in my opinion. Strip away the pretty graphics, and you have the most flawed Zelda game in the series. From bad pacing, to tedious travel, to boring and completely forgettable dungeons, and thrown in fetchquests to prolong the game.

An observation I made is that fans claim that those who don't like Wind Waker are "graphics whores" but all those WW fans gloat on about is how pretty WW is.

Sorry that I'm putting all WW fans into one category. I know it's not completely accurate, but I don't see the big deal with Wind Waker, especially with how flawed and tedious the game is.

I don't think that's fair. I am a huuuuge Wind Waker fanboy, I recognise that the game was rushed out and has its flaws (from trying to artificially lengthen the game), but it was beautifully put together and there are many ways in which the game has a unique charm. One that maybe other Zelda titles don't possess.

For me, growing up, A Link to the Past was a mind blowingly good experience. I don't look to Ocarina of Time as the pinnacle of the series, as many others do, because my greatest childhood videogame experience was provided by its predecessor. For me, Wind Waker captures a colourful visual charm, fantastical whimsy and purity that I associate with a Link to the Past. It also has some great throw backs to many of the games in the series, which many fans of the game are probably picking up on - subconsciously or otherwise:

• The giant bird kidnaps maidens on behalf of Ganondorf, who is looking for the Triforce of Wisdom... Ganon's alter ego in LTTP also kidnaps maidens looking for a way to find the Sacred realm and lay hands on the Triforce.
  • That giant bird is called the Helmaroc King. The 'roc' part of the name comes from Kargaroc - the smaller flying bird enemies. The 'Helma' and 'King' sections of the name come from Helmasaur King - which was a dungeon boss in Link to the Past. Like the bird in Wind Waker, the Helmasaur King could only be defeated once you shattered its protective mask. Ghoma, in DragonRoost island also had this protective shell, which cracked before eventually shattering in much the same way. Definitely deliberate.
  • Ghoma of course appears in a lot of Zelda games, WW had a particularly memorable version - the first boss battle in which I can remember the action cutting away from the boss battle (to show the dragons reaction to you yanking on his tail)...
  • Mothula appears as a mini-boss, he was present in A Link to the Past and Oracle of Seasons.
  • Hyrule Castle in Ocarina of Time was populated mostly by good, loyal, royal guards. In Link to the Past, it was full of enemies, armoured and otherwise.
  • It was in Wind Waker's Hyrule Castle that the Royal theme / hyrule castle theme from a Link to the Past was brought back into the 3D games. It appears again in Twilight Princess.
  • Molgera, the Wind Temple dungeon boss in Wind Waker, is clearly inspired by the Lanmolas / sand-worm boss battle in A Link to the Past. It shares part of its name with Moldorm, the multi-segment worm enemy from LTTP as well.
  • Once you reach the Tower of the Gods, you face an enemies called Armos and Armos Knights, the enemies that hop towards you when you go near them. The Armos Knights were the very first dungeon boss in A Link to the Past, and similar enemies were encountered in the run-up to that dungeon. Beamos (laser turret) enemies are also present in this dungeon, and although they have been commonplace in Zelda games, it is another very real, intentional link to LTTP.
  • Wind Waker would have also been the first mainline game to bring Wizzrobes into 3D, were it not for Majora's Mask getting there first.
  • The collection of three artifacts, before the Master Sword is retrieved and the adventure really begins, has been a staple of the Zelda franchise since A Link to the Past. In Link to the Past it was pendants, in Ocarina of Time it was Spiritual Stones, in Wind Waker it is pearls named after the three Godesses. In Twilight Princess there are three light spirits to restore (with tears of light) etc.
  • The drawing of the Master Sword was particularly spectacular in Wind Waker
  • Bottled fairies looked more like the bottled fairies from the Link to the Past artwork than the 'bottled navi' look we got in Ocarina.
    bottle-fairy.jpg
    Bottled_Fairy_(The_Wind_Waker).png
  • The travelling salesman is a Goron in disguise... the rarity of Gorons in WWs world is one of those things that made me wonder how bad the deluge of Hyrule must have been.

I could go on and on about all the little links and visual quirks that I love about Wind Waker... it had some great minigames that people forget about as well. I really wish they'd have let it bake for 6 months more, included an extra dungeon or two and then not had to tack on that ridiculous fetch quest... it had the potential to be the best in the series, and a lot of love clearly went into it.

I recorded myself re-playing every minute of Wind Waker so I could make a compilation video a few years ago. Sadly my capture equipment was limited, but anyone looking to reminisce about it can hopefully get some good out of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_ahbyKgEYc

rhino4evr

That nowgamer review just said the 3D effects were amazing. I don't think I'll play any games in 2D on my 3Ds unless I'm getting headaches. I bought a 3DS to play games In 3D without glasses, and that's exactly what I want to play. The trailer for OOT in 3D sold me on the effect.

Teknoman

Magicpaint said:
3D has many issues, plus on 3DS it's easy to lose the effect, so if there are no tangible benefits for 3D then I will go 2D for sure. Since OOT was never designed for 3D (and most impressions I've read say the 3D ain't special) then I can safely miss it if it means I gain AA in the process.

I'd wait until you get the game in your hands. People said the 3D didnt have that big of effect in SFIV, but it really does. And since they've redesigned every area graphically, that kinda throws OoT not being designed for 3D out of the window.

Top Bottom