• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Dreohboy

Botolf said:
Not all games need be the same. When will you learn? :p
I dont understand this complaint. If the protagonist is ME in a suit, why would i care if i cant hear myself. Another persons voice would damper my immersion.

sTaTIx said:
*Ahem* Far Cry 2.
you must have played a very different Far Cry 2 to me then. Crysis was broken up sandboxes, Far Cry 2 was open world. Crysis had suit powers that dramatically effected game play and Far Cry 2 had realism.

Far Cry 2 is more like a good Boiling Point than it is like Crysis, and Crysis 2 is more like Crysis than Far Cry 2 is like Crysis.

Dreohboy said:
I dont understand this complaint. If the protagonist is ME in a suit, why would i care if i cant hear myself. Another persons voice would damper my immersion.
in this case, because everyone thinks that you are someone else and this puts your life at risk. if you were in that situation you wouldn't silently stand their while people shot at your or aimed guns at you.

that's the problem as it pertains exclusively to Crysis 2.

Morkins

Banned
plagiarize said:
in this case, because everyone thinks that you are someone else and this puts your life at risk. if you were in that situation you wouldn't silently stand their while people shot at your or aimed guns at you.

that's the problem as it pertains exclusively to Crysis 2.

Maybe I like to yell at my TV and pretend that my voice goes into the game world. Having the player character speak makes me feel like someone is putting words in my mouth...

Dreohboy

Morkins said:
Maybe I like to yell at my TV and pretend that my voice goes into the game world. Having the player character speak makes me feel like someone is putting words in my mouth...
+1

Dyno

Ickman3400 said:
That is probably the most whiny bitter PC fanboy post I've ever read, and I read Gaf.

The graphics suck? Good god.

Seriously. I'm happy that guy is mad and I'm even happier that he feels he wasted $60. Fools like that should be parted from their money at every opportunity.

Well I am around the third lvl, PC version, gameplay in "entertaining" at best, however graphics lack the wow factor that Crysis 1 or Metro 2033 have. I don't even think is the best looking game on PC or the graphics showpiece its predecessor was, it's not a bad looking game by all means, but it feels somehow a slight downgraded version of Crysis 1

JoeBoy101

Morkins said:

Maybe I don't like it when characters act mute and avoid saying anything, even when the situation would demand that someone with an IQ greater than protozoa would speak. You know... illogical and unbelievable behavior? That tends to break immersion for me as well.

Heavy said:
Holy shit: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1595150&page=15

It's like another world over there.
No, it's just like the most angry and bitter PC gamers here times a hundred. Look at this:

Crysis 2 is made for console noobs and punk teenage kids who only have played console noob shooters.and it looks like ass even on pc.

the xbox 360 looks worse than that and contols worse.

I should have known it was partmade by the crap timesplitters and golden eye console noobs shooter makers wasnt it?

they should never be allowed with in 12 feet of making a realshooter for the pc they don't know crap about making one.

You know how they improved the engineto run better don't you? ya they made it look like ass and took out everything that pushed game graphics into a new age and sent it back 5 years.
Haha

Also I like mute protagonists but especially in this game. If you really want to justify it, pretend his suit communicator is damaged and it's one way only. ;)

CozMick said:
In some ways I'd have to agree.

I couldn't even fathom what Crytek's Cryengine 3 would look like without console limitations being put into the equation.
You still haven't played it, right? See it in-motion in front of you and look in awe at the visuals. The graphics are better than Crysis 1, especially as you get deeper into the game. EDIT: Based off the PC version. I dunno what version you're getting?

Neuromancer said:
No, it's just like the most angry and bitter PC gamers here times a hundred. Look at this:

Haha
And that is just the tip of the iceberg. I'm in disbelief...

Jin

Put 3 hours into the game so far on my PC with Extreme settings. I've been taking my time admiring every brick, wall, cars, water, the lighting, etc. I hope the game doesn't end soon.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
MedIC86 said:
Welcome to the master race forums ;)

The funny thing is, if the game was PC only, required a quad core SLI then they'd be coming in their pants.

CozMick

Banned
Heavy said:
You still haven't played it, right? See it in-motion in front of you and look in awe at the visuals. The graphics are better than Crysis 1, especially as you get deeper into the game.

We'll see, and once again I hope you're right.

And my post wasn't an attack on consoles it was just a thought, and a mind boggling one at that.

Neuromancer said:

Haha

Also I like mute protagonists but especially in this game. If you really want to justify it, pretend his suit communicator is damaged and it's one way only. ;)
why can't they put that into the story though? i mean in the same way Sands of Time threaded game mechanics in there.

wouldn't it be cooler if he took a bullet to the throat earlier on or what have you?

LowParry

Heavy said:
Holy shit: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1595150&page=15

It's like another world over there.

I hope everyone here will never mention the PC gamers at GAF being elitist, smarmy, bitter, etc., because after reading the last few pages of that thread we're angels in comparison.

Did you get this quote? Holy shit. lol

"I rage on consoles all the time (including in this thread) and yet I own all of the consoles and extensive libraries for each. However, you're not going to find me spending real money for fake clothes, buying $60 games with 4 hour campaigns, or generally functioning as an enabler for all the bullshit that has infected this generation of gaming. If you rush off to drop $15 on the latest Black Ops map pack, you just might be a consoletard. If you own consoles mainly for the unique and eccentric games that don't typically make it to the PC, there is no negative connotation.

The insults directed at console gamers are well placed in my opinion because by their actions they make gaming worse for all of us. If they didn't buy DLC that costs 1/4 the price of a game and has 1/20 the content, companies would go back to earning their money by making expansions. If they weren't dumb enough to pay real money for clothes for their Xbox live avatars, we'd probably be able to dress up our avatars for free. If they stopped buying FPS games with 5 hour campaigns, the industry standard would shift back towards the traditional 12-15 hour campaign. I could go on and on with pages of examples like this, but the summary is that console gamers deserve every bit of criticism they get for creating collective action problems for more discerning purchasers.

A lot of it comes down to poor parenting and failing to teach children the value of a dollar. I was 12 once, I gamed mostly on consoles with the occasional PC game like Commander Keen or Doom, yet I would have laughed at the prospect of paying real money for the virtual items today's console gamers eat up like candy. You know, I preordered Dragon Age Origins for something like $40 on Amazon. It came with a code for some stupid Lion's Paw boots or something like that, and a console gamer bought the code from me for $31 on ebay. R.O.F.L."

People are complaining about the graphics? WTF?

I understand some of the other complaints and may even agree with them to some degree, but this is the best looking and playing game I've come across on my PC thus far and by a rather wide margin. Honestly, it's going to piss me off every time I come across another game that doesn't look nearly as impressive yet still struggles to maintain a decent framerate.

MedIC86

Seriously, you guys all sound like you have never been on a proper PC game forum before ? the bitterness is on so much places, most (not all) of those people dont even play games a lot, they just use them to showcase hardware.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Played a couple hours (post-human supersoldier difficulty). Lukewarm towards it so far. There is definitely not much of a playground here; it feels like it uses the typical console-centric cinematic hallway shooter as its starting point rather than Crysis 1 as its starting point. So I feel like I'm going through the motions, checkpoint to checkpoint, accomplishing nothing, with the objective being pushed away yet again every time I get to where I was supposed to be going.

The silent protagonist angle makes absolutely no sense.

At one point I got into a CELL vehicle, shocked that I'd even be able to get into a vehicle in this game, and then wasn't able to drive more than ten feet before I hit impassable 6 inch high barricades on all sides. That about sums that up.

Graphics are nice enough, but I'm kind of indifferent to what's on screen, as opposed to Crysis 1 which still wows me.

CcrooK said:

"I rage on consoles all the time (including in this thread) and yet I own all of the consoles and extensive libraries for each. However, you're not going to find me spending real money for fake clothes, buying $60 games with 4 hour campaigns, or generally functioning as an enabler for all the bullshit that has infected this generation of gaming. If you rush off to drop $15 on the latest Black Ops map pack, you just might be a consoletard. If you own consoles mainly for the unique and eccentric games that don't typically make it to the PC, there is no negative connotation.

The insults directed at console gamers are well placed in my opinion because by their actions they make gaming worse for all of us. If they didn't buy DLC that costs 1/4 the price of a game and has 1/20 the content, companies would go back to earning their money by making expansions. If they weren't dumb enough to pay real money for clothes for their Xbox live avatars, we'd probably be able to dress up our avatars for free. If they stopped buying FPS games with 5 hour campaigns, the industry standard would shift back towards the traditional 12-15 hour campaign. I could go on and on with pages of examples like this, but the summary is that console gamers deserve every bit of criticism they get for creating collective action problems for more discerning purchasers.

A lot of it comes down to poor parenting and failing to teach children the value of a dollar. I was 12 once, I gamed mostly on consoles with the occasional PC game like Commander Keen or Doom, yet I would have laughed at the prospect of paying real money for the virtual items today's console gamers eat up like candy. You know, I preordered Dragon Age Origins for something like $40 on Amazon. It came with a code for some stupid Lion's Paw boots or something like that, and a console gamer bought the code from me for $31 on ebay. R.O.F.L."

I couldn't even get through that whole post. My brows might be permanently furrowed for cringing so much while reading that thread.

The Nature Roy said:
People are complaining about the graphics? WTF?

I understand some of the other complaints and may even agree with them to some degree, but this is the best looking and playing game I've come across on my PC thus far and by a rather wide margin. Honestly, it's going to piss me off every time I come across another game that doesn't look nearly as impressive yet still struggles to maintain a decent framerate.
Nobody here is complaining about the graphics except for a couple guys; we're just reading the HardOCP forum quotes.

Nekrono

EviLore said:
Played a couple hours (post-human supersoldier difficulty). Lukewarm towards it so far. There is definitely not much of a playground here; it feels like it uses the typical console-centric cinematic hallway shooter as its starting point rather than Crysis 1 as its starting point. So I feel like I'm going through the motions, checkpoint to checkpoint, accomplishing nothing, with the objective being pushed away yet again every time I get to where I was supposed to be going.

At one point I got into a CELL vehicle, shocked that I'd even be able to get into a vehicle in this game, and then wasn't able to drive more than ten feet before I hit impassable 6 inch high barricades on all sides. That about sums that up.

Graphics are nice enough, but I'm kind of indifferent to what's on screen, as opposed to Crysis 1 which still wows me.

Nicely summarized, I really don't get why people say it's better than Crysis, IT'S NOT.

That doesn't mean Crysis 2 is a bad game though, they just should have named it something else :p

CcrooK said:

The sad thing is that I can't say that I disagree with the man.

Heavy said:
You still haven't played it, right? See it in-motion in front of you and look in awe at the visuals. The graphics are better than Crysis 1, especially as you get deeper into the game.
Looking better than Crysis shouldn't be the benchmark over three years after that game came out, though. I think it's fair for people to wonder how much Crytek could've squeezed out of this engine if they weren't optimising for consoles at the same time.

Note: What I've seen does look very nice and due to shitty UK releases I haven't played it yet. Crysis utterly amazed me with what I saw before I even played it, though, and that isn't the case here.

CcrooK said:

It works really well if you read it in Shawn Elliot's 'emo nerd' voice.

I am a pc gaming noob so I have a quick question about if my laptop can run this game or not. It has 4 gigs of ram, a core I5 processor clocked in at 2.4 GHz, amd am ATI mobility Radeon HD 5650. So how well can I run crysis 2 on this thing?

Foliorum Viridum said:
Looking better than Crysis shouldn't be the benchmark over three years after that game came out, though. I think it's fair for people to wonder how much Crytek could've squeezed out of this engine if they weren't optimising for consoles at the same time.

Note: What I've seen does look very nice and due to shitty UK releases I haven't played it yet. Crysis utterly amazed me with what I saw before I even played it, though, and that isn't the case here.
No I totally agree with you. It would've looked out of this world if it was PC exclusive, but they are a business. Blowing another $20-30 million on an exclusive like that to cater to a very small audience like the HOCP type, while leaving all that money on the table with the console versions just wouldn't have been a smart idea.

With that said, imo, it's still more technically impressive than Crysis. The lighting tech alone puts it ahead. And the game really opens up later on... remember it's a (fairly) accurate representation of a metropolitan city versus a wide open beach/jungle landscape (at least for 6 out of the 11 chapters in Crysis 1).

I do miss the gorgeous tropical setting. We had two games in it though... I'm cool with the change. I dunno

pix said:
Same here.
He does make some great points. If we hadn't bought $15 map packs by the millions, they wouldn't exist. You can say this about tons of consumer products, though.

JoeBoy101

EviLore said:

Encapsulates my feelings as well. Not a bad shooter, but compared to the original Crysis, it tends to suffer. Though I'm told the back half the game is better.

sdornan

thehillissilent said:
The sad thing is that I can't say that I disagree with the man.

Really? You think it all comes down to poor parenting? People buy dumb shit all the time. It has nothing to do with parenting.

Nekrono

Heavy said:
No I totally agree with you. It would've looked out of this world if it was PC exclusive, but they are a business. Blowing another $20-30 million on an exclusive like that to cater to a very small audience like the HOCP type, while leaving all that money on the table with the console versions just wouldn't have been a smart idea.

With that said, imo, it's still more technically impressive than Crysis. The lighting tech alone puts it ahead. And the game really opens up later on... remember it's a (fairly) accurate representation of a metropolitan city versus a wide open beach/jungle landscape (at least for 6 out of the 11 chapters in Crysis 1).

I do miss the gorgeous tropical setting. We had two games in it though... I'm cool with the change. I dunno

Not sure about this when you could achieve a similar lighting in CryEngine 2 almost 4 years ago.

StevieP

Banned
CcrooK said:

I agree with a lot of what was said there.

Really? You think it all comes down to poor parenting? People buy dumb shit all the time. It has nothing to do with parenting.

I'm sure it plays a part.

JoeBoy101 said:
Encapsulates my feelings as well. Not a bad shooter, but compared to the original Crysis, it tends to suffer. Though I'm told the back half the game is better.
The last 5 chapters of Crysis 1 (out of 11 total) are more linear than even the starting area of Crysis 2... when you get the suit and step out in the open, those connected sandboxes give you more freedom than the last 5 chapters of the original. Wait till you get to the latter half of the game :D

Nekrono said:
Not sure about this when you could achieve a similar lighting in CryEngine 2 almost 4 years ago.
When was the last time you played vanilla Crysis 1, without any lighting/texture mods? I just played through it again over the past month in anticipation for C2. Anyway, back to playing. I'm coming off as a filthy fanboy.

Sh1ner

JoeBoy101 said:
Compared against Crysis so far, I don't think Crysis 2 is better than it.

Compared against 95% of the shooters out there, any platform? It ranges from being light years better to significantly better. I ultimately decided to throw down on it when I realized that if this game didn't have the pedigree of Crysis, even with the same features (and lack there of *stares at graphics menu*) I would have bought it.

Oh, thats one more thing. NO dedicated pistol slot! That's Bullshit! Gotta have a holdout slot. If you only have two main gun slots, who in their right mind is going with a pistol? That was a mistake on Crytek's part. Especially since there is more than one pistol in the game.

Yea it's what I got from your post, it may not be Crysis 1 quality but it is definitely one of the better games of this year for a first person shooter.

Dyno said:
You're coming off as the kind of person who would never say otherwise, even if proven wrong.

Always-honest said:
what was that bold prediction?

Jesus, can you still just have fun with a game?

Dyno said:
He's going to his FRIENDS HOUSE, he will PLAY THE GAME, and then he will grace us with HIS IMPRESSIONS.

Hey when you make predictions about which direction a game is going to take only to be attacked with calls of "ITT hysterical reactions" "Just trust in Crytek" "You dont have any idea what is going to happen with the game" the only thing left to do is wait for the game to release. Well it's released. And now it's time for the smug satisfaction that comes from being right all along. To be able to say I called it. I called it all.

Nekrono

CcrooK said:

StevieP said:
I agree with a lot of what was said there.

I'm sure it plays a part.

Yeah that post is getting laughs here but the reality is that it is indeed true.

I agree with a lot of stuff there too, remember when new maps were patches instead of payed DLC? those were good days.

Blizzard

Banned
MisterAnderson said:
What in fucks name... "Serial code is currently in use" is still an issue. Can't play multiplayer. WTF Crytek/EA. Get your shit together please.
Reposting from the last page since no one responded, did you try entering the code all lower-case?

EviLore, what I watched of a 360 stream showed a fair number of paths (and the guy I was watching even tried multiple approaches), I thought...not to mention one or two people had been talking about how you can still choke slam people, still put C4 on vehicles, still drive vehicles, etc. I thought someone even said that when vehicles show up, you have room to drive them. And you can detach the turret and take it with you.

Has anyone else encountered a vehicle which has 6-inch walls, ten feet away on all sides?

Well, playing the game tomorrow on the 360 and i think it will be nice ride. Great graphics/ lighting, and a shooter that let's you be creative with weapons and suit.
A bit of corridor shooting and areas with more freedom. A 12 hour campaign.

Sounds like a solid shooter. Maybe i'll try some online. But i bought it for the SP.

The netcode for multiplayer is complete shit compared to the beta... and there aren't even half as many people playing. Hitboxes are all fucked up and the host advantage is crazy. (PC)

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Heavy's Sandvich said:
How many of those vowing not to buy it till a steam sale brought the price down, have in fact bought the game?
Only four percent of my Steam friends bought it. So...anecdotally not that many.

About half of Homefront/Rift actually.

Top Bottom