• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift DK2 Thread

Anybody try Pinball Arcade?

Unless I'm missing something the game only runs at 60fps, so you get judder, it uses extended mode, and there's no positional reset. Impressive regardless, though. Hopefully it'll see more love.

I was just playing it. Got a crash after about twenty minutes. It's clearly hacked in, but since it's open source, hopefully we'll get things sorted. I had to move my camera to get a relatively normal feeling 'stood up'. Initially the table surface felt like it was beneath my feet, which was weird.

I was able to downsample from 4K, which looked pretty good. The ball didn't look quite right though. Like the reflections weren't quite doing what they were supposed to.

Again, no big deal, it's impressive as is.

Carmack's talk suggested that it wasn't capable of doing 75Hz. Perhaps they could make it happen if they ripped it out of the Note 4, but we're talking about literally using an untouched Note 4 here, not a new product made with a Note 4 panel.

Oh right. I completely forgot he said that. The Note 4 was suppose to only go up to 60hz, so it wouldn't be a good idea to use it in place of the other headsets... Damnit. I had it in mind that I would be able to save some cash (I might end up getting the Note 4 for free) and get somewhat similar performance if they did add the mini display port. It would be cool if you could overclock the panel without removing anything.

PinballArcadeVR is amazing. It adds so much to multilevel play field tables like Black Knight 2000, as you can lean over to focus on the higher playfield when you're up there. It just feels so *right*.

Time to buy season 1 finally (I have 2 and 3 on PC... long story).

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
https://www.youtube.com/user/oculusvr/videos

Oculus just put the Connect keynote presentations on YouTube for anyone who's interested in watching them.

So the takeaways from the future of VR panel...

1) Input is difficult, and it's a very hard problem to solve. No clear solution seems obvious at this time - lol at people expecting bundled input with CV1.

2) VR goggles, and the current state of VR do not present a clear road map to neural hijacking interfaces - lol at people saying it's "right around the corner".

Got it.

Black Knight 2000 in Pinball Arcade VR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYMQfNR3KAw&feature=youtu.be

This game benefits so much from VR. Whether it's being able to see things going on in the backglass in your peripheral vision in games like Cirqus Voltaire, or whether it's being able to more easily focus in on different parts of multi level tables like Black Knight 2000, positional tracking is *huge*.

I hope it gets updated so you can change where you want to be relative to your DK2 camera (it needs to be level with your head pointing right at it to get a good position, and that's not normally where I have my camera), but one of my absolute favorite games now has a new way to play and it's absolutely the best way to play.

Tain

Are you disabling low persistence to run at 60hz or playing with stutter? Or is there some way to get it to run at 75hz? I could probably deal with the stutter if I had to, but I didn't re-position my camera to give it a real shot.

Black Knight 2000 in Pinball Arcade VR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYMQfNR3KAw&feature=youtu.be

This game benefits so much from VR. Whether it's being able to see things going on in the backglass in your peripheral vision in games like Cirqus Voltaire, or whether it's being able to more easily focus in on different parts of multi level tables like Black Knight 2000, positional tracking is *huge*.

I hope it gets updated so you can change where you want to be relative to your DK2 camera (it needs to be level with your head pointing right at it to get a good position, and that's not normally where I have my camera), but one of my absolute favorite games now has a new way to play and it's absolutely the best way to play.

I was never really satisfied how pinball is displayed as a videogame. I played the shit out of Pinball Dreams and Fantasies on Amiga but the newer stuff was never able to capture my interest.
This however looks awesome!

Seanspeed

Banned
After playing Lucky's Tale, I'm half convinced that 3rd person games will actually be better and easier(at least in the short term) than on-foot 1st person games in VR.

Its not the most spectacular game in the world, but its an undeniable proof of concept. It worked brilliantly and was a joy to experience a game like that *in* the level with the character. Its a crying, crying shame Nintendo isn't onboard with this, cuz with Nintendo's creativity, a Mario game like that would blow people's socks off.

I cant wait for 3rd person RPG's and adventure games and whatnot. They're gonna be fantastic.

After playing Lucky's Tale, I'm half convinced that 3rd person games will actually be better and easier(at least in the short term) than on-foot 1st person games in VR.

Its not the most spectacular game in the world, but its an undeniable proof of concept. It worked brilliantly and was a joy to experience a game like that *in* the level with the character. Its a crying, crying shame Nintendo isn't onboard with this, cuz with Nintendo's creativity, a Mario game like that would blow people's socks off.

I cant wait for 3rd person RPG's and adventure games and whatnot. They're gonna be fantastic.

When I saw Lucky's Tale (video, haven't played) this was my very first thought. Holy shit at what Nintendo could bring to the table regarding creativity.

Durante

I just got this email:
Hello y'all!

Huh it's been a busy couple of months. Let's go straight to the point. We have some good news and some bad news. Despite our best efforts we regret to inform you that the whole game won't be ready for Christmas.

But the good news is that the game is progressing nicely, and we are releasing a funder beta demo consisting of one playable puzzle for you for Christmas. This release is exclusive to funders.

It's been a tough decision to push back the release and we hope you bare with us through this delay. The main reason is that we owe you a great game and we don't want to cut important corners just to make the Christmas deadline. We think that it is better to delay the release a bit than release an unfinished game. We haven't set a new release date yet.

We are also launching the long awaited forum with the demo and one of the aspects of the demo is to get feedback from you guys especially on the technical side.

We've integrated the Oculus Rift DK2 and if you have the DK2 then you will be able to play the demo with it. As our mission from the get go has been to create an immersive experience, the Rift is really an ideal device for playing Reset. We are looking forward to the consumer version of the Rift.

Information on the demo download will follow as we get closer to the end of the year.

Sincerely and humbly yours, rock on,

Alpo&Mikko
Theory
I'm really looking forward to trying that demo with DK2!

I was never really satisfied how pinball is displayed as a videogame. I played the shit out of Pinball Dreams and Fantasies on Amiga but the newer stuff was never able to capture my interest.
This however looks awesome!

Pinball Arcade on PC is a free download with Tales of the Arabian Nights, so you can totally check it out to see if it's something you dig before investing in any of the tables. After trying out a few tables last night that I already owned, I bought the one season pack I didn't already have. This is honestly a dream use of VR for me.

Mik2121

One question for all of you guys with the DK2. Where do you live, and how long did it take to arrive after receiving the email about the order being sent?

I ordered it on the 24th of August and back then it said they'd be sending it on October. I'm even expecting it to be shipped near the end of October (which would suck terribly, anyway), but I wonder how long it would take for it to arrive to where I live (Japan).

GeoGonzo

I just got this email:
I'm really looking forward to trying that demo with DK2!
Just in case it wasn't clear for someone else, its probably worth mentioning that the email is talking about the game RESET, the first person puzzle game about a robot able to travel back in time to solve puzzles with itself.

Seanspeed

Banned
Just in case it wasn't clear for someone else, its probably worth mentioning that the email is talking about the game RESET, the first person puzzle game about a robot able to travel back in time to solve puzzles with itself.
Took me a minute before I realized what game he was talking about.

Reset looks awesome:

EDIT: You know what's thoroughly depressing? That news about Reset getting Oculus Rift support is probably not thread worthy while a thread about pre-orders of art prints for Uncharted will probably see several hundred posts overnight.

I'm honestly tempted to start posting more VR news as threads, even if they're not popular. Cuz by golly, they deserve it.

Jedi2016

Yeah, I read a blurb about a year ago saying the game would support the Rift, I'm glad they reiterated it here (I got the email too).

Just a question.

I saw some really cool emulators for the Rift. I just saw some Gameboy-Emulator in some black and white enviroment on YouTube.
I also saw some video of someone being in a 90s room, "reading" comics, playing some C64.

So what are the emulators/emulator-enviroments that are kinda popular right now? Or some cool emulator concepts?

Vuze

Just a question.

I saw some really cool emulators for the Rift. I just saw some Gameboy-Emulator in some black and white enviroment on YouTube.
I also saw some video of someone being in a 90s room, "reading" comics, playing some C64.

So what are the emulators/emulator-enviroments that are kinda popular right now? Or some cool emulator concepts?

Well I only have tried Dolphin VR in that regard and it's amazing to replay your favorite GC/Wii games with the ability to freely look around and lean in the world (provided they work without issues). It recently got asynchronous timewarp added so there is no headtracking stutter at all even if the games are locked to 30 or 60 fps.

Well I only have tried Dolphin VR in that regard and it's amazing to replay your favorite GC/Wii games with the ability to freely look around and lean in the world (provided they work without issues). It recently got asynchronous timewarp added so there is no headtracking stutter at all even if the games are locked to 30 or 60 fps.

I mean more like emulator for retro-consoles. I really love this concept being in some 90s room, seeing a SNES plugged into a virtual TV.

Lurch666

I was just playing it. Got a crash after about twenty minutes. It's clearly hacked in, but since it's open source, hopefully we'll get things sorted. I had to move my camera to get a relatively normal feeling 'stood up'. Initially the table surface felt like it was beneath my feet, which was weird.

I was able to downsample from 4K, which looked pretty good. The ball didn't look quite right though. Like the reflections weren't quite doing what they were supposed to.

Again, no big deal, it's impressive as is.

How did you manage to downsample from 4k?I can only set mine to rift resolution.

How did you manage to downsample from 4k?I can only set mine to rift resolution.

I used DSR with my GTX980. I wasn't able to get it working that way when I had SLI enabled, for some reason, but with a single GPU I had no problems. It makes a huge difference on how readable the DMD is.

Faith

Almost 2 weeks and fucking nothing. They received my DK2 on the 24th September and they don't respond to my email since then.

Will I even get a new rift?

Krejlooc

Banned
Almost 2 weeks and fucking nothing. They received my DK2 on the 24th September and they don't respond to my email since then.

Will I even get a new rift?

why not try hitting up cyberreality directly on either the dev board or the subreddit? He posts like daily.

Vuze

From Ashes is quite amazing. Really got me with the fish and octopus scene hahaha
Really nice to see more educational demos. Not sure how amazing "learning by doing/experiencing" for subjects like history, biology, chemistry and the like would be.

I don't have a Rift yet, but, here is a video I haven't seen here: Live coding in VR. It seems like pop culture was 20 years ahead of technology.
This is just great :D I need to try this at some point

edit: Anything surfaced regarding the new VR features in the 900 series of Nvidias graphics cards? Do devs need to utilize this? Is this available already in the driver? How? ;)

Metal B

I don't have a Rift yet, but, here is a video I haven't seen here: Live coding in VR. It seems like pop culture was 20 years ahead of technology.
This is the kind of the future I would like to see with VR, an actual improvement of the workspace: Unlimited Screens, expended visual design and feedback, new user interactivity and many other new exciting options. The only element holding back those possibilities is a good input device. VR-Gloves are a necessity for VR, if we want the technology to become part of our everyday life (and a screen, which doesn't hurt the eyes after working for 4 hours straight).

Blizzard

Banned
I don't think VR gloves are a good idea unless they are resting on a keyboard or table. The classic gorilla arm syndrome is why vertical touchscreens and stylus control are not practical.

Krejlooc

Banned
Doc_OK's dump of current findings for low level hardware hacking of the rift and positional tracking camera

Super interesting stuff, this will eventually be used to reverse engineer a set of open-source drivers and an alternative SDK for the rift.

Really good information about how the positional tracking of the DK2 works.

4pErwsl.gif

LEDs strobing slowed down by Doc_OK. Thus far, they haven't figured out the syncing method between the HMD and the camera so the strobe appears random.

Krejlooc

Banned
If anybody wants to play around with Kreylos' research, here is a utility he made for accessing the reports from the HID:

Yet another update: I posted a small utility in the original thread, to download 3D LED coordinates. Might be a starting point for further tinkering, so here is a copy of that comment:

Download the tarball, extract, cd into RiftHacking-0.1 directory, run make, run ./bin/ExtractModel. You'll need the development version of the udev library. On Ubuntu: sudo apt-get install libudev-dev; on Fedora: sudo yum install libudev-devel.

On command line, here's the whole process (after installing libudev-dev(el)):

cd ~
mkdir src
cd src
wget -O - http://stout.idav.ucdavis.edu/Software/RiftHacking/RiftHacking-0.1.tar.gz | tar xfz -
cd RiftHacking-0.1
make
./bin/ExtractModel

Obviously this is a linux application. User /u/jherico has developed a java class to do the same thing for those wanting to work in windows which can be found here:

https://github.com/jherico/jocular/...a/org/saintandreas/input/oculus/RiftTest.java

Krejlooc

Banned
X-post from the AI thread:

It's super fucking buggy, but...

pH5xGBN.jpg

sup dudes.

Right now, due to limitations of VorpX, no positional tracking (only skyrim has positional tracking right now, but it's supposed to be coming next update for all games), just orientation tracking. But DAMN this is awesome.

Prat

X-post from the AI thread:

It's super fucking buggy, but...

pH5xGBN.jpg

sup dudes.

Right now, due to limitations of VorpX, no positional tracking (only skyrim has positional tracking right now, but it's supposed to be coming next update for all games), just orientation tracking. But DAMN this is awesome.

Men I really wish they implement official support for VR in a future patch :(

Soi-Fong

Is this a new Dolphin build?

Ok just to let know the people that ordered around the same time as me, my DK2 is about to ship.
I ordered it end of July (27th).

I'm thrilled and i'm going to browse this thread to know which demo to try unless there is a good site that list them ?

Metal B

I don't think VR gloves are a good idea unless they are resting on a keyboard or table. The classic gorilla arm syndrome is why vertical touchscreens and stylus control are not practical.
This would also be my assumption. Our hands are still the most natural "input-device" for us, which would make VR gloves is the most mainstream device you can make. Until you can manipulate VR objects with your thoughts.

Other features VR needs are many different cameras for different uses.
First to scan surfaces and your surroundings: So that a program could for example include a physical table in the VR world and project a keyboard on it, so that a user can rest his arms on it.
Secondly to switch back to reality without lifting the devise: Sometimes you just want to drink something fast and just grab after something.
Thirdly scan the human face and recreate facial features in real time. If we want to have virtual worlds with other players (like a NeoGaf Virtual Lobby), we should make sure not to be surrounded by dead eyed dolls. Since we already have a devise on our hand, it should be able to scan the movement of the eyes and at least basic facial movements of the eyebrows and the mouth. Combined with the camera, which scans your surroundings and your body like the Xbox Kinect, and a good animation software, we should be able to recreate a human in a virtual space.
I hope, this isn’t too much to ask for.

Yeah, that is, what i want to see in the future
=)

wickfut

Banned
YES! Grid Autosport DK2 support being added very soon.

Steam forum page said:
PC Patch - The Oculus Rift Edition
We’re busy putting the final touches together for the latest GRID Autosport patch for PC, which we're expecting to go live later this week. Changes include support for the upcoming Drag Racing DLC pack, along with fixes around vehicle upgrades and improvements made to the official playlists.

Alongside this we’re pleased to announce that we are adding Oculus Rift support to GRID Autosport.

Oculus Rift - Added code support to enable Oculus Rift compatibility, coupled with minor optimisations for the virtual reality experience. For more details please see this[blog.codemasters.com]

wickfut

Banned
Interesting... but that game had kind of mediocre reviews, so I think I'll wait for impressions.

I'm wary about how cockpit views will look too, since they decided to blur them out.

If LiveForSpeed can become an amazing experience with a DK2 and a wheel then I'm quite sure Autosport with a DK2 and a wheel will blow my little socks off :)

We’ve been tinkering with VR for a while now and have reached the stage where we believe it’s working pretty well, and as such, we’ve decided to allow you to experience it for yourselves.

If you have an Oculus Rift kit of your own and want to give it a try with GRID Autosport then below you’ll find some handy step by step instructions and additional information to get you set up.

We have tested both the DK1 and DK2, and released support using SDK 0.4.1, which contains the Direct to HMD rendering mode, as well as extended desktop mode. We recommend using the Direct to HMD mode.

This support is only experimental, and as such, there are some in-game options that may cause crashes if you try to change them in game – examples of these are changing resolution, and resizing the window.

To setup these options properly, after running the game once and closing it, open the following file:

C:\Users\[user]\Documents\My Games\GRID Autosport\hardwaresettings\hardware_settings_config.xml

Set the resolution line to <resolution width=&#8221;1920&#8243; height=&#8221;1080&#8243; aspect=&#8221;auto&#8221; fullscreen=&#8221;true&#8221; vsync=&#8221;0&#8243; multisampling=&#8221;4xmsaa&#8221;>

There are also some Oculus specific settings you can play with in this file, if you want to experiment: <oculus enabled=&#8221;true&#8221; headMovement=&#8221;true&#8221; chromatic=&#8221;true&#8221; timeWarp=&#8221;true&#8221; vignette=&#8221;true&#8221; overdrive=&#8221;true&#8221; convergence=&#8221;1.0&#8243; />

headMovement: allows our usual head-bobbing logic to run (you may want to disable this)
chromatic: chromatic aberration override
timeWarp: low latency override
vignette: edge darkening override
overdrive: low latency override
convergence: modify the IPD (also available in game, see below)
Touring

Now you&#8217;re ready to launch the game! It is worth mentioning that the menus do not run in VR mode, so do&#8216;nt worry when you don&#8217;t immediately see the dual-eye images on screen. We appreciate that our menus are difficult to use with VR, (they were never designed for it), so we only recommend enabling it when going into a race itself.

We strongly recommend running the game in the Ultra-Low graphics preset initially, particularly for DK2.

Framerate and resolution are two of the most important things for a good VR experience &#8211; only turn up other settings if you know your PC can handle it
You will need a very good CPU and GPU to turn settings up much beyond the minimum
A program like FRAPS is useful for ensuring you are hitting the desired 60fps for DK1, and 75fps for DK2. (Note that sometimes FRAPS shows a doubled-up fps in the Direct to HMD rendering mode)
If you do want to turn up graphics settings, we recommend doing the following, in order, and checking your framerate after each change:

Set Texture Quality to High
Set Anisotropic Filtering to High
Set Cloth to High
Set Ground Cover to High
Set Skidmarks to On
Set Vehicle Details to Medium
Set Trees to Medium
Set Crowd to Low
Set Shader Quality to Medium (resource intensive change!)
Set Shadows to Medium or High (resource intensive change!)
Set Vehicle Reflections to Medium or High (resource intensive change!)
If your PC can still handle this fine, then you can probably relax and turn things up to the High preset.

Finally, there are some in-race controls to help you configure Oculus:

You can reset the sensor using F11. Use this to re-centre the device
You can adjust the IPD using -/+ on the main keyboard. Press 0 to reset it back to the default. Use this to scale the world up and down, effectively making the game look like a toy car game! This is particularly effective in the chase-cameras

As mentioned above, this support is only experimental but, if you do give it a try we&#8217;d love to hear what you think.
http://blog.codemasters.com/grid/10/grid-autosport-oculus-rift-support/

Native Alien Isolation support!

Instructions here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=133403402&postcount=96

And here's a quick gameplay video I shot this morning. I was downscaling from 4K using DSR (which helps a load with image quality if you have the horsepower).

http://youtu.be/yATj64gwb-8

There appeared to be a few very minor rendering issues with doors not quite looking right... the motion tracker is in a kind of weird and uncomfortable place (although it's still usable)... there's no animation for your legs when using ladders...

but all in all this is awesome. I'm so glad they left this in, and I'm so glad someone found it!

How is GRID Autosport's wheel support? Does it work great with the Logitech G27?

Top Bottom