• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: Only one area per planet

Trickster

There was an explorable area under the moon that was similar size to the entirity of Old Russia, it also had a few areas we couldn't get to like Old Russia did. There was quite a lot to explore.

This seems like a highly flawed statement considering Urk said that The Moon was the smallest zone in the game

Zakalwe

Banned
This seems like a highly flawed statement considering Urk said that The Moon was the smallest zone in the game

I explored it myself, as did others.

The areas we could explore were comparible in size to the areas we could explore in Old Russia. There were a few areas that were blocked off that were obviously meant to be reachable as the new area prompt appeared when you neared them.

We don't know how expansive Old Russia will be when the areas we couldn't access open up, but the actual parts we could explore on the moon were similar in size to those in old russia. It was a pretty expansive place.

Also, just because The Moon is the smallest, doesn't mean it's the smallest by a considerble amount.

Make of that what you will.

Trickster

I explored it myself, as did others.

The areas we could explore were comparible in size to the areas we could explore in Old Russia. There were a few areas that were blocked off that were obviously meant to be reachable as the new area prompt appeared when you neared them.

We don't know how expansive Old Russia will be when the areas we couldn't access open up, but the actual parts we could explore on the moon were similar in size to those in old russia. It was a pretty expansive place.

Just because The Moon is the smallest, doesn't mean it's the smallest by a considerble amount.

Make of that what you will.

I'm not saying that it is. But you clearly said that there was an underground area on the Moon, that alone was bigger than all of Old Russia. Which is in direct conflict with what Urk has told us.

And we do know pretty much how big the locked off areas in Old Russia are, people have been in them, and they aren't really that huge.

Zakalwe

Banned
I'm not saying that it is. But you clearly said that there was an underground area on the Moon, that alone was bigger than all of Old Russia. Which is in direct conflict with what Urk has told us.

And we do know pretty much how big the locked off areas in Old Russia are, people have been in them, and they aren't really that huge.

I didn't say it was bigger. You should probably read my posts again.

Zakalwe

Banned
Okay no, not bigger. But you said it was similar size. Which is still in conflict with what Urk said.

No Urk said smaller and I said similar, it can be both smaller and similar. No conflict there.

Again, Urk didn't say how much smaller it was, it could just be a couple of rooms smaller.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
The fact that, after 4000 posts, people are still arguing about the size of a game that is yet to be released astounds me. It astounds me because NO ONE KNOWS HOW BIG OR SMALL IT WILL ULTIMATELY BE. All I see are haphazard guesses and estimates and extrapolations. Why not wait 5 weeks and then we'll all know? Then we can bash Bungie or praise them.

I'm waiting to see what the expansion packs are going to contain, by the description of one of them it says that it will unlock some areas on the moon so those locked doors found in the beta could very well be unlocked by purchasing the DLC and not be a part of "vanilla" Destiny.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

Or that there's a lot more to Old Russia, and/or Earth, than shown in the Beta. Time will tell.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
The fact that, after 4000 posts, people are still arguing about the size of a game that is yet to be released astounds me. It astounds me because NO ONE KNOWS HOW BIG OR SMALL IT WILL ULTIMATELY BE. All I see are haphazard guesses and estimates and extrapolations. Why not wait 5 weeks and then we'll all know? Then we can bash Bungie or praise them.
The fact that some people did not want to acknowledge that and instead made assumptions based on the limited Beta content is exactly why this discussion is still going, sadly.

Doc_Drop

Can we just accept that there are those here that are possibly underestimating the size of the game based on the beta and information provided by devs etc

Vs

Those that seem to be constantly trying to stomp those arguments with equally uniformed ideas of what will be available based on their own musings

??

It seems pretty apparent that there will be a lot of grinding in the game (as it is loot based) and that it seems that the level of exploration has possibly been oversold compared to other games that people may have played; leading to disappointment regarding the info that seems to indicate that the area per planet is a bit more limited than some first thought.

Yes there will be expansion on the ideas first presented in the retail version of the game,but I think some people are possibly sceptical about the amount of money they may need to drop to get the expanse that some may have envisioned when this game was first introduced

Ooccoo

The Moon area you guys are talking about will be the first DLC.

Don't believe me?

" Expansion 1: The Dark Below

Set deep beneath the surface of the Moon, fans will discover an ancient tomb that has been unsealed, and a dark god who has risen an evil army in the depths of the Hellmouth, the home of the Hive enemy race. "

Seems awfully similar no? So that leaves us with maybe 3-4 missions on the Moon total.

Rockyrock

Don't believe me?

Set deep beneath the surface of the Moon, fans will discover an ancient tomb that has been unsealed, and a dark god who has risen an evil army in the depths of the Hellmouth, the home of the Hive enemy race. "

Seems awfully similar no? So that leaves us with maybe 3-4 missions on the Moon total.
Why would they make DLC available in the beta but then lock it off in the full game?

Can we just accept that there are those here that are possibly underestimating the size of the game based on the beta and information provided by devs etc

Vs

Those that seem to be constantly trying to stomp those arguments with equally uniformed ideas of what will be available based on their own musings

??

It seems pretty apparent that there will be a lot of grinding in the game (as it is loot based) and that it seems that the level of exploration has possibly been oversold compared to other games that people may have played; leading to disappointment regarding the info that seems to indicate that the area per planet is a bit more limited than some first thought.

Yes there will be expansion on the ideas first presented in the retail version of the game,but I think some people are possibly sceptical about the amount of money they may need to drop to get the expanse that some may have envisioned when this game was first introduced

You are making far too much sense for this thread sir!

Karl Hawk

Banned

Don't believe me?

What's your point? All I read from Expansion 1 heavily implies there will be more than meets the eye for the moon. We already know the moon is available in the full game.

Zakalwe

Banned

Vs

Those that seem to be constantly trying to stomp those arguments with equally uniformed ideas of what will be available based on their own

We actually have enough information to reliably tell us that the amount of playable content in the beta is not indicative of the final release's playable content, there's nothing uninformed about that.

Trickster

No Urk said smaller and I said similar, it can be both smaller and similar. No conflict there.

Again, Urk didn't say how much smaller it was, it could just be a couple of rooms smaller.

Surface area of the moon isn't exactly super tiny though.

Whatever though, wasn't out to get into a debate about the definition of what similar means in terms of space.

Ooccoo

What's your point? All I read from Expansion 1 heavily implies there will be more than meets the eye for the moon. We already know the moon is available in the full game.

Be ready to be disappointed then. I don't know about Mars and Venus, but Moon looks like it has even less missions than Earth. Of course I don't have other sources than educated guesses, but I'm setting my expectations very low for September.

Karl Hawk

Banned
Be ready to be disappointed then. I don't know about Mars and Venus, but Moon looks like it has even less missions than Earth. Of course I don't have other sources than educated guesses, but I'm setting my expectations very low for September.

As long my expectations are tempered and realistic, I don't have to be disappointed.

Zakalwe

Banned
Surface area of the moon isn't exactly super tiny though.

Whatever though, wasn't out to get into a debate about the definition of what similar means in terms of space.

It seemed that was exactly what you wanted to do!

The topside area of the moon was pretty small relative to the underground parts. I explored the entire thing (available parts anyway).

So if the moon is the smallest area confirmed , this is pretty good news seeing how large the underground parts were.

Trickster

We actually have enough information to reliably tell us that the amount of playable content in the beta is not indicative of the final release's playable content, there's nothing uninformed about that.

Locked off areas doesn't give you a factual basis for saying that zones are definitely gonna me much bigger than they were in the beta though.

A lot of people are acting as if they expect the locked off areas to add huge new areas to Old Russia and The Moon, which we simply don't have the evidence to support. On the contrary in fact, the locked off areas don't appear to add huge new areas to the zone.

Zakalwe

Banned
Locked off areas doesn't give you a factual basis for saying that zones are definitely gonna me much bigger than they were in the beta though.

A lot of people are acting as if they expect the locked off areas to add huge new areas to Old Russia and The Moon, which we simply don't have the evidence to support. On the contrary in fact, the locked off areas don't appear to add huge new areas to the zone.

Locked off areas are not the only factors.

Read Tiemen's post a few pages back for a decent explanation.

Doc_Drop

You are making far too much sense for this thread sir!

Right,but there is no proof of what that content will actually be like to play.

There has been a lot of "I'm sure the missions will get longer","There are areas locked off that I'm sure will open up" etc. But unless you've actually seen the final build,how sure can you be of what lies behind doors and no go areas.

All I'm saying is that people have concerns over the content and that is okay. You're trust in the game being noticeably bigger is okay.

Buy as it seems no-one has seen the retail build,either extreme of this argument could potentially be wrong.

I'd love for this game to be huge,honestly. But I also sympathise with people who felt a bit flat after the beta and have decided that rather than pay full price and hope that the game ships with good content,they will see if their fears of the amount of content are justified.

If you are right then we're all winners.if not,some people may feel like they should have waited until later to buy a reduced price complete version.

Dude! You have been doing the EXACT same thing in reverse for page after page. You have no more facts than anyone else here, yet this doesn't stop you from pontificating about the game's size and implying that the game is small from a content perspective over and over and over and over.

Zakalwe

Banned
Right,but there is no proof of what that content will actually be like to play.

There has been a lot of "I'm sure the missions will get longer","There are areas locked off that I'm sure will open up" etc. But unless you've actually seen the final build,how sure can you be of what lies behind doors and no go areas.

All I'm saying is that people have concerns over the content and that is okay. You're trust in the game being noticeably bigger is okay.

Buy as it seems no-one has seen the retail build,either extreme of this argument could potentially be wrong.

I'd love for this game to be huge,honestly. But I also sympathise with people who felt a bit flat after the beta and have decided that rather than pay full price and hope that the game ships with good content,they will see if their fears of the amount of content are justified.

If you are right then we're all winners.if not,some people may feel like they should have waited until later to buy a reduced price complete version.

Again, it's not just about size.

This post explains it very well.

Doc_Drop

Dude! You have been doing the EXACT same thing in reverse for page after page. You have no more facts than anyone else here, yet this doesn't stop you from pontificating about the game's size and implying that the game is small from a content perspective over and over and over and over.

This was kinda my point with regards to both sides of this argument,both sides pulling sizes and content out of nothing.

My only problem I guess is that other than physical space and the occasional enemy group or chest,there is nothing filling these corridors and rooms. I expected to at least have something to look at whilst exploring

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

So... you are saying that there's no evidence to support the fact that the locked off areas add a huge amount to Old Russia and the Moon... yet you turn around and say that, despite this lack of evidence, the "locked off areas don't appear to add huge new areas to the zone".... how can the former be wrong but the latter be correct in light of the fact that there's no evidence either way....?

Doc_Drop

Again, it's not just about size.

Please go back a few pages and read The quote I posted from Tiemen. It explains it very well.

Right,but it's still just thinking about what could be. No-one can say for sure that we won't just see the same kind of missions over and over

All these comments referring to The Reef as a second social hub; is there any evidence for that? I keep seeing it mentioned as fact, but I can't find anything solid on it.

Gaz_RB

Don't believe me?

lol I followed you til you jumped to the 3-4 missions on the moon conclusion. Then you totally lost me.

Zakalwe

Banned
This was kinda my point with regards to both sides of this argument,both sides pulling sizes and content out of nothing.

My only problem I guess is that other than physical space and the occasional enemy group or chest,there is nothing filling these corridors and rooms. I expected to at least have something to look at whilst exploring

Again: it's not just about size, read the post I linked to above. It explains why we know with all the information we have that there will be plenty of gameplay content.

Bone if the thing he writes is a stretch of any kind, Bungie are laying safe with convention here, that's quote apparent, so unless you think they're going to throw curveballs regarding how all these mechanics we know about come together , I think you can safely call this the most accurate idea we have.

It's certainly a lot more accurate than "only a single zone per planet? NO CONTENT".

The world is not going to be incredibly dense, but that doesn't mean the gameplay will be lacking.

Right,but it's still just thinking about what could be. No-one can say for sure that we won't just see the same kind of missions over and over

Potential lack of mission variety is not the type of concern we're complaining about. :p

Ooccoo

Regardless of the final build, announcing DLC (two even) is something no dev should be allowed to do.

edit: before shipping your game I mean

Trickster

I have said what I expect to be in the game based on the information about the game this is available. As well as explained why I feel like how the game was talked about by the developer, made the game seem like it would be something that it probably won't really live up to.

That is different than saying a place is pretty much as big as another place, when information provided by the developer pretty much stands in contrast to that.

So... you are saying that there's no evidence to support the fact that the locked off areas add a huge amount to Old Russia and the Moon... yet you turn around and say that, despite this lack of evidence, the "locked off areas don't appear to add huge new areas to the zone".... how can the former be wrong but the latter be correct in light of the fact that there's no evidence either way....?

Because people have been into some of those locked off areas and seen how big they are.

Zakalwe

Banned
That is different than saying a place is pretty much as big as another place, when information provided by the developer pretty much stands in contrast to that.

Again, no!

The developer said it was "the smallest", that doesn't mean it won't be almost as big!

I have no idea why you think "smaller" has to mean "considerably smaller".

There is NO contrast there. Stop it!

It also doesn't give you a factual basis for saying the zones won't be much bigger. We have no idea how big or small they will be... just like the game itself.

"Area" is such a relative term; I'm surprised you guys are still finding things to talk about based on zero knowledge of what the full game content will look like.

I thought urk's post in this thread was sufficiently assuring that we'll get our $60 worth and more with Destiny.

Doc_Drop

Again: it's not just about size, read the post I linked to above. It explains why we know with all the information we have that there will be plenty of gameplay content.

Bone if the thing he writes is a stretch of any kind, Bungie are laying safe with convention here, that's quote apparent, so unless you think they're going to throw curveballs regarding how all these mechanics we know about come together , I think you can safely call this the most accurate idea we have.

It's certainly a lot more accurate than "only a single zone per planet? NO CONTENT".

The world is not going to be incredibly dense, but that doesn't mean the gameplay will be lacking.

I get the size point, but the fact that the gameworld isn't even close to dense, the gameplay will only do so much to satisfy some of the expectations people have for this game.

After getting the feel for the gunplay and traversal (which felt excellent), I was taken by suprise at the enemy AI,the lack of anything tangible to look at within the environments,and the shallow nature of the RPG elements. There was nothing to collect,read, or examine in the environment.and I'm sure at that point I wasn't the only person thinking this game has very little to offer me

Top Bottom