• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

just checked my messages and a rep has been assigned to my case. i called him back and he said that my console is repaired and awaiting shipping and couldn't tell me for sure if it will ship tomorrow or not...GREAT!

thanks for the "push" though.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
WickedLaharl said:
just checked my messages and a rep has been assigned to my case. he said that my console is repaired and awaiting shipping and couldn't tell me for sure if it will ship tomorrow or not...GREAT!

Hope it turns out well for you. I got the email last night but according to UPS the thing hasn't shipped yet. Wonder how long it'll take.

Phoenix Down said:
MS does have good 3rd party.. but will it be that way forever? no.. depending on 3rd party games to drive your system is a No No... when the install base matures first party will be what moves consoles.. thats where most of your are exclusives are

Well tell Sony " that 3rd party doens't sell a ssytem", That is why PS1 beat Nintendo the past two generations. It wasn't becuase of Sony's 1st party. If it was about 1st pary games then Nintendo would have won the past two generations, becuase Nintendo beats Sony's 1st party hands down.'

Joei

You can add my name to the list. My 360 died about a week and a half ago. I sent it in its coffin this past Monday. I got my 360 around the 14th of December. The thing is, I didn't even play it a lot. :(

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
This won't affect MSFT until it starts hitting the mainstream media. If there's a mass failing when Halo 3 hits people are going to get pissed. Why people continue to purchase the 360 with its abysmal track record on quality hardware is beyond me. It's quite obvious there is a major design flaw and MSFT won't do jack shit about it until it starts hurting their bottom line (aka stop buying it). I'm gladly sitting out this gen so far.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
OK, well I received another call from MS just now (this is the 3rd rep who has contacted me, this one being related to a BBB complaint I filed). He told me that they're waiting for UPS to pick it up and it might take until the second week of July for me to receive it.

Needless to say, I will be extremely pissed off it this happens, as I'll already be away to Summer College. Though I wouldn't be surprised at all frankly.

WTFing

Banned
i don't know if this has been posted: http://www.weplayxbox.com/2007/06/28/the-great-xbox-360-repair-debacle-part-ii/

Hi Larry,

Thanks for getting in touch, it’s very nice to hear from you and I hope you’re well.
My current Xbox Support reference number is ##########.

As stated in my article, I first sent off my original Xbox last month only to receive a broken and cracked Xbox in return, the reference number from that repair was ##########..

I do appreciate you taking the time to get in touch with me and your assistance is sincerely appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Parm

From: Major Nelson, Received: Wednesday, June 27 2007, 15:05

“Thanks. I am escalating now..“

Hi Larry,

Just a quick note to ask if you’ve had any updates on the Xbox 360 repair delays? I know you must be very busy but myself and a lot of readers are waiting for news on their consoles and any information you can provide will be very much appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Parm

From: Major Nelson, Received: Thursday, June 28 2007, 04:12

“I do not, sorry.“

Is there likely to be any further information?

From: Major Nelson, Received: Thursday, June 28 2007, 14:59

“If I get any, I’ll share them.“

That’s all so far. Whilst we still wait to hear from Major Nelson again in the hope of getting some information, we don’t expect to hear much more. It is possible that Major Nelson has been too busy to investigate the matter just yet, which is completely reasonable.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
OK, according to UPS it has actually been picked up now, apparently to be delivered Tuesday. I sure hope so.

Either way, what the hell? MS needs to seriously tighten up their customer support. Not only did I have 3 different reps contact me claiming to be assigned to me, none of them had the same story as another. Who knows what the **** I'm supposed to believe?

cvxfreak

Someone add me to that huge list. My 360 died two months ago via the red lights. Got back a refurb which still seems to be working, but it's a ticking time bomb so...

jedimike

I got my 360 back from repair today... well it's not my 360, another refurb with a born on date of 10-12-2006 o_O An original... a classic.

Thing is dead f'in silent though. So quiet is scares me... I'm fairly certain I got the mod done, but I don't know the definitive way to tell w/out opening it up.

Now I need to reclaim my marketplace points...

Anyway, MS has done right by me, even though I had to fight for it. Of course my pain wasn't as bad because I had another 360 to play while waiting for the 4-week repair process. (from the time it died to the day I got it back has been 4 weeks and one day).

Bildi

jedimike said:
I'm fairly certain I got the mod done, but I don't know the definitive way to tell w/out opening it up.
Stand in a dark room, torch held right up against the side of the 360. The new heatsink should be clearly visible between the CPU heatsink and the front of the 360. If there's a big gap and you can see the side of the DVD drive easily, there's no additional heatsink.

Phoenix Down said:
MS does have good 3rd party.. but will it be that way forever? no.. depending on 3rd party games to drive your system is a No No... when the install base matures first party will be what moves consoles.. thats where most of your are exclusives are

My favorite 360 games (Crackton, Forza) are published by MS. I think they actually finally have a nice balance, at least this year. Probably why they're pushing so much into 2008. PS3's install base will have risen to the point where MS has no more de facto timed exclusives and they will be getting slaughtered by Sony's 2008 lineup. A Jan-March of Too Human, Banjo, and Mass Effect might let them slide a little further before the hammer comes down.

Alan Wake looks incredible to me, but it's too esoteric, even moreso than Bioshock, to really make a dent, I think.

Doytch

Got my replacement yesterday. Was a new console, not my old one repaired. Finally got to try Shadowrun today, and had a bunch of artifacts. My room is so damn cold I don't know how it's overheating... Gonna call MS tomorrow, get started on getting my third box.

3-5%

Bildi

Doytch said:
Got my replacement yesterday. Was a new console, not my old one repaired. Finally got to try Shadowrun today, and had a bunch of artifacts. My room is so damn cold I don't know how it's overheating... Gonna call MS tomorrow, get started on getting my third box.

3-5%
It may have died because of the quick heat>cool cycle. Cheap motherboards in PCs can't hack that sort of thing and the 360 is likely the same. My second one died in the same way after six days.

Add some zero's and the percentages look spot on.

Barnolde

Banned
I should be x2 on that list as well.

Mine died 24 days ago. I've been on vacation for almost a week and been on the phone with customer service who said that it'll probably get there on Monday, which makes it 4 goddamn weeks without a system. ****ing ridiculous, especially considering I was expecting it back BEFORE I left for vacation, not after I got back :lol

This thing is responsible for so much unnecessary headache, it's crazy and frustrating beyond belief. Last time was a painless experience, with a complete turnaround of about 2 weeks. Who knew it'd be so difficult just to play some damn games. I know MS is patch happy, but someone should have told them that you can't patch hardware.

They NEED to recall the thing before the Xbox brand is tarnished anymore.

KiKaL

This may be a stupid question and may have already been addressed multiple times in this thread and if so Im sorry, but will buying aftermarket fans that hook up to the 360 help at all in preventing the ROD?

Phoenix Down said:
at the rate there going.. it will happen soon... my guess is when theres massive playing times of GTA and halo 3

do you even have a 360? i sure hope so

anyways i got a call and my console has shipped. the tracking # isn't in ups' system yet though

Barnolde

Banned
KiKaL said:
This may be a stupid question and may have already been addressed multiple times in this thread and if so Im sorry, but will buying aftermarket fans that hook up to the 360 help at all in preventing the ROD?
No.

They may actually be even worse for it.

Bildi

KiKaL said:
In my opinion they can help but I think get the style that hooks up to a USB port and can keep running after you've turned the console off. (in other words, not the NYKO).

As I've written a lot, the heat>cool cycle may be what kills many 360's and fans that can keep running after the box is off will help the MB cool more slowly thus helping prevent fast movement which causes solder traces to break. They could help prolong the 360's life a bit.

WickedLaharl said:
do you even have a 360? i sure hope so

anyways i got a call and my console has shipped. the tracking # isn't in ups' system yet though

... it broke today... read my posts

luckily i bought it from best buy.. and got the 2 year warranty.. its packed up and everything now... hopefully i get it back b4 e3

Speevy

Banned
They can't recall the Xbox 360. But if they can't fix the machine before the year is up, the machine will recall itself. (i.e. completely fail in the marketplace)

Phoenix Down said:
... it broke today... read my posts

luckily i bought it from best buy.. and got the 2 year warranty.. its packed up and everything now... hopefully i get it back b4 e3

must of missed it. sorry about that.

Speevy said:
They can't recall the Xbox 360. But if they can't fix the machine before the year is up, the machine will recall itself. (i.e. completely fail in the marketplace)

just curious.. why cant they recall it?

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Phoenix Down said:

They may as well pack up and get the hell out of gaming if that did that. These new heatsinks that they are using better fix this shit for the older users. I feel that they will, but they are way too ****ing late.

Speevy

Banned
Phoenix Down said:

Because it would create a window of time in which their entire US lead would be called into question, and possibly caught.

It would also destroy support, I think.

Agent Icebeezy

Speevy said:

This is definitely true. Under the guise of these breakdowns, it looks as if they are fixing these consoles right with the heatsinks.

WickedLaharl said:
i honestly have a hard time believing that there will be another xbox at this point. but we'll see.

Before this generation, I would have said that they were the one's most likely for a newer console. Now, I'd put them second behind Nintendo.

Speevy said:
Because it would create a window of time in which their entire US lead would be called into question, and possibly caught.

makes sense.... plus it would hurt halo 3 sells big time and GTA.. thus hurting those companys.. it would be a ripple effect type deal

Agent Icebeezy said:
This is definitely true. Under the guise of these breakdowns, it looks as if they are fixing these consoles right with the heatsinks.

Before this generation, I would have said that they were the one's most likely for a newer console. Now, I'd put them second behind Nintendo.

i doubt they will put heak sinks in every broken console... that would drive the gaming division in the dirst... it would be a shareholders nightmare

Agent Icebeezy

Phoenix Down said:
i doubt they will put heak sinks in every broken console... that would drive the gaming division in the dirst... it would be a shareholders nightmare

The fee in public perception and trust would cost them more. Those heatsink are probably cheap. You are paying the labor.

Agent Icebeezy said:
The fee in public perception and trust would cost them more. Those heatsink are probably cheap. You are paying the labor.

heating issues arent the result in every MS failure.. theres dozens of problems with the consoles design

Agent Icebeezy

Phoenix Down said:
heating issues arent the result in every MS failure.. theres dozens of problems with the consoles design

I don't know if the problems go into the dozens, but the vast majority of them seem to stem from the GPU overheating. Anyways, I think that is why they are taking so long to get out. Instead of putting a band-aid over something that requires surgery, they are doing something more suitable. Also, make no mistake about this, anything that was designed to protect the cash cow such as Windows will always be treated highly, they will put the money in this.

BenjaminBirdie said:
My favorite 360 games (Crackton, Forza) are published by MS. I think they actually finally have a nice balance, at least this year. Probably why they're pushing so much into 2008. PS3's install base will have risen to the point where MS has no more de facto timed exclusives and they will be getting slaughtered by Sony's 2008 lineup. A Jan-March of Too Human, Banjo, and Mass Effect might let them slide a little further before the hammer comes down.

Alan Wake looks incredible to me, but it's too esoteric, even moreso than Bioshock, to really make a dent, I think.
And I fear that your prognostication will be correct. Both Alan Wake and Bioshock appear to balance story and gameplay; rather than the typical "story-as-afterthought." Further, both stories appear to have an intelligence and maturity greater than much of the dross floated out to market. Mario Bros: don't need or want a story. Alan Wake: bring on the David Lynch®.

MS has and is funding superlative games/franchises. The quality of games from the last and current generation has undoubtedly been positively influenced by MS's entry into the video game space. Readily available example: Forza 2. I anticipate PD's response with the GT series. Surely the world is a better place if we get two great games as the result of (friendly) developer competitiveness :). And Mario Kart.

Buck up and fix the console MS. As the competition intensifies this next three or whatever years, I don't want any incentive for the other two to backslide.

Please.

p.s. Thanks for XBLA. Great games available and the side benefit of rousing Sony to make some good downloadable content. Even Nintendo. Eventually; excepting the VC. Nice.

Also, commiserations to any and all posting of a dead console in this thread.

Agent Icebeezy said:
I don't know if the problems go into the dozens, but the vast majority of them seem to stem from the GPU overheating. Anyways, I think that is why they are taking so long to get out. Instead of putting a band-aid over something that requires surgery, they are doing something more suitable. Also, make no mistake about this, anything that was designed to protect the cash cow such as Windows will always be treated highly, they will put the money in this.

I guess... I think peter moore said it best .. "its a moving target"... its hard to pin point the problems.. i know for a fact mine diden't overheat... I barely even turn it on

you have GPU failures
Disk read errors
Firm ware bricking
video games that brick the console

theres a series of issues.... and i doubt MS will pour alot of money into this .. there going to handle it the cheapest way possible( like they been doing)... which IMO will end up costing them more money in the future

I serious wont be surprised if there are at least 5 million failures out there.. if not more... EVERY one I know 360 broke at least once.. .. I think this is bigger then what alot of people think.. MS just has so much power in the industry they can suppress it

Rorschach

Barnolde said:
I should be x2 on that list as well.

Mine died 24 days ago. I've been on vacation for almost a week and been on the phone with customer service who said that it'll probably get there on Monday, which makes it 4 goddamn weeks without a system. ****ing ridiculous, especially considering I was expecting it back BEFORE I left for vacation, not after I got back
Count your blessings that you're getting it that early. :p

I'm still waiting for my "coffin" and it's been 3 weeks. :lol

I know for sure I won't get it back in time for APF and that just means -1 sale because I'm not playing catchup with everyone else and I was mainly getting it for the GAF leagues. I can wait on the SP games, but not that one. :\

Orlics

The situation is very interesting in the Philippines.

One of the most well-known console repair/sales places, a little shop in a certain mall, say they've received a lot of 360s over the summer because of the heat. Interestingly, when I asked them to comment about why so many 360s break down, they say it's because the console isn't designed for Philippine weather. :lol

They do repair consoles for very cheap though, about $40-$60. And they even offer to add cooling (extra fans, etc). When my second 360 breaks, maybe I'll have them do just that.

Phoenix Down said:
The 360 may have some problems, but I don't believe that a game is causing the problems. Rumors like this just get started by people overreacting. I own many of the games that people claim break thier 360s ( Oblivion, Dead Rising, and Foraza 2), and my console still works fine, and I have had it since Feb, 1 2007. If the games were cuaing a system to break, then my console too would be off to the repair shop.

Bildi

Phoenix Down said:
A recall would cost a fortune. Even if they could repair at a cost as low as $50 per console (extremely unlikely since it would require a redesigned MB and the labour to exchange it and postage for all customers) it would cost half a billion dollars for 10 million consoles.

Microsoft as a whole makes a profit of 12 billion per year, so half a billion is not an insignificant amount to the corporation. Especially when it gets eaten up by the Xbox division in one hit. That would possibly be the end of the Xbox division.

985boi

With the NBA draft is dwindling down, I decided to pop in NBA 2K7 in. Then there it happened right there, the red lights. :( This is f'ing lame. The longest I've played with my 360 is an hour. I watch more dvds on there than play games. I'm guessing it might have to do with my stupid brother leaving that shit on idle for hours with the disc running and not turning it off today. I tried disconnecting, reconnecting everything, moving it into a new spot. None of those work.

Anyways how long did you guys wait to call MS? I want to get it fixed and working before E3.

It doesn't even warrant a recall. Just replace the damn things when they break, under warranty or not. $140 is too damn much to charge for a flawed-design repair (and why does it cost MORE now than when the original warranties expired?). Replacement would alleviate the stories of multiple repairs at least.

B-Rad Lascelle said:
Every time a new game comes out we get these "it broke my system" sagas.
And yet the only occurence of a console-breaking update that's actually been grounded in fact was last Halloween's dashboard update.
the problem is that playing videogames on an xbox 360 can lead to conditions that cause it to fail, so whenever a big new game hits, alot of people play it and a higher amount of consoles die playing that game than other games, which causes people to say en masse that the game broke their system.

HokieJoe

I agree, recall isn't necessary. Going forward they need fix every one that can be fixed with the auxillary heatsink and do something about the x-clamp/motherboard issue. I bet that would cure 90+% of the problems.

WickedLaharl said:
he said that my console is repaired and awaiting shipping and couldn't tell me for sure if it will ship tomorrow or not...GREAT!

I was told that exact same thing at the beginning of this week. I phoned up a couple of days later to see if I could get a tracking number and was told "Your console isn't repaired, I don't know why you were told that but you shouldn't have been"

Then I was told to wait another 3 weeks

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
HokieJoe said:
I agree, recall isn't necessary. Going forward they need fix every one that can be fixed with the auxillary heatsink and do something about the x-clamp/motherboard issue. I bet that would cure 90+% of the problems.
I think they would rather have you buy a brand new XBox 360.

What is the latest manufacturing date on the XBox 360? They might have slowed down production until the fix is approved. Then they can roll out the updated version with a new chip and a price drop.

Top Bottom