• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

Bildi

mj1108 said:
Let's all hope his dies soon so we can complete the list.
Well, I'm not so heartless as to wish misfortune upon someone else for no good reason. The way I see it, it's the same as wishing that the sun will come up tomorrow.

Phthisis

DrBaalzamon said:
I'll post my brief experiences thus far and this may help someone who is experiencing similar symptoms.

About a week ago I experienced a strange lockup that I had never gotten before. I was comparing games with someone using the dashboard/blades and after comparing the gaming hitting back on the controller resulted in a grey blade loading with just the red and green accept and back buttons being shown but no data or anything. The system had hard locked. I shrugged it off and figured it happens.

Earlier this week I had the exact same lockup doing the exact same thing and I became worried. I restarted my console and after about 20 minutes of Pacman CE I switched over to Gears and played maybe 30minutes worth. After having a few uneventful matches and a few disconnect / connection issues I quit to the dash. I didnt give it second notice but right after quitting i went and held the Guide button in an attempt to shut down the console but to my dismay it was hard locked. I turned it off by using the front button and went to bed thinking that my console may be dying.

The following day I did some diagnosis and I found the root of my problem ( I think ). I've had my console since Christmas and the build date is that of October, so I dont have the noisiest drive but the second one that isnt as quiet as the most recent drive revision. Anyway I went into my network blade and saw that i had a wireless connection of 1 red bar and began noticing that I was getting disconnected from live quite frequently when leaving the console idle. As if it was struggling to stay connected.

I went to my wireless router and moved it around a bit and adjust it so it would send a better signal, returned to my 360 and bam, 3 solid green bars. I've since had no connection issues and zero freezes checking or comparing games or once quitting a game.

I did have a single lockup playing the free movie rental of Austin Powers after watching maybe 40minutes of it trying to bring up the menu to pause/stop/quit it locked up my 360.

All in all Im hoping that the wireless connection fickleness was causing my lockups and not the impending death of my console. Heres to good luck and I hope this might help someone.

The dashboard gets sluggish when the system is having trouble connecting with Live. This happened to me recently with EA's servers, as they are not very compatible with my old router. Nothing to worry about; if you figure out a way to improve the connection, the dashboard will run smooth as butter.

Also, someone earlier mentioned a "barking" sound on startup. I thought this was normal? Mine does it everytime. Never thought much of it.

Still on my first 360. Had it since December, and it was manufactured in June of 06. Very few problems (several DREs and a couple freezes over the course of 7 months. That's it.)

Phthisis said:
Still on my first 360. Had it since December, and it was manufactured in June of 06. Very few problems (several DREs and a couple freezes over the course of 7 months. That's it.)

you haven't had it for that long. the 360 i bought in feb 06 which was made in oct 05 just recently bit the dust.

also i never had DRE. ever.

Emerson said:
Sorry to hear that, but I got word that my system shipped, so I got lucky I guess.
One's repair experience really shouldn't boil down to who gets lucky and who doesn't. Of course, I'd like to say the same about one's console ownership experience.

Not that it's saying much, I've owned two X360s... an early 06-manufactured Core purchased used off a friend, one late-06 Pro courtesy of a lucky hat draw... and neither one has kicked the bucket.

The Core's louder than a freight train and encountered some sporadic DRE hiccups with Viva Pinata, but hasn't really encountered much in the way of issues. The Pro purrs like a kitten despite an unfortunate birthright of crashing to the floor thanks to an over-extended Ethernet cable its first night out of the box.

Anyhow, for those of you on Page 84 aside from Emerson who've had an unfortunate run-in with the latest backlog at the service center, I sent off some escalation requests during my 12+ hours at work yesterday in hopes of giving them a nudge out the door. Hopefully you'll have some equally good news tomorrow.

Rorschach

FrenchMovieTheme said:
add me to your list of doom fellas! appears my console is dead... we'll see what tech support says but i can't get any dvd-based GAMES to work. however, my XBLA and DVD movies still work fine... not sure what the problem is...
Does yours make a horrible sound when you try to play a game? Does it give you the "put this disc in a 360" message? That's what mine did at first...then, I attempted to play XBLA games to pass the time and it redringed on me :( You might wanna check your discs to make sure they don't have scratches on me.

Still no box...I got them to send me a box on the 22nd. It was in transit from the 25th to the 27th and now it says it's "rescheduled" after making it to 4 Texas locations. No updates since then. It's just a flat box. :\

I have the worst luck lately. :lol

Seeing people on my list on xbox.com playing the darkness makes me sad.

Might as well add my experience to this long list of failures:

My 360 died at the beginning of June so I called up MS and got the labels emailed to me.

It was picked up from me on the 6th June
I got an email saying it had arrived at the repair centre on the 18th June
Microsoft are now telling me that it will take up to 25 working days from the 18th June and to wait that long (that will be 23rd July + a couple of days shipping)

23rd of July!!! :-(

I have phoned them quite a lot as I was initially told that it would take 15 working days. I have been told various different things every time I call them:

Your 360 is being repaired at the moment, call in 2 days for a tracking number (I get this a lot)

Your 360 is booked in for repairs and will be done today

Your 360 has been repaired and is in the warehouse waiting for labels to be shipped back to you - I called the next day to be told that this wasn't true and I shouldn't have been told this

Your 360 was booked in before the 16th of June so will take 15 working days

We received your 360 after the 16th of June so it will take 25 working days

They told me that it wasn't in the UK any more, but couldn't tell me whereabouts it was, but I think I heard it's gone to Germany once.

I give up, I guess I'll just have to sit here and wait for it to come back one day, if it ever does. I don't think I could go through all this again if it died and I don't want to constantly be afraid of playing it incase I'm "wearing it out" if you know what I mean.

Gutted, I loved my 360, I had all (every one) of the arcade games on it and spent a fortune on it, then Microsoft go and not give a damn about me.

Kabouter

When I called yesterday (they btw notified me I wouldn't be getting it back until the second week of july, almost two months after I sent it in and over 2 months after it broke) I was told to send an e-mail to request compensation for such an extremely long wait and for the full time of Xbox Live lost. Had to be an e-mail, because they couldn't guarantee me anything over the phone. So I sent an e-mail immediatly, got one back today. E-mail I got back basically says they won't do hardware support via e-mail and I have to call customer support.

Wth is this shit MS?

Btw, I should be x2 on the list.

R&R

Can add me too, first one broke in march (was a launch machine), now on my second one that is running ok for now...

Manp

Twicenightly said:

same here. every time i call the customer service the "usual" time for the repair process gets 5 days longer :lol

first time it was 15 days, then 20 and now 25 :lol

:)

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
FrenchMovieTheme said:
add me to your list of doom fellas! appears my console is dead... we'll see what tech support says but i can't get any dvd-based GAMES to work. however, my XBLA and DVD movies still work fine... not sure what the problem is...

Damn man.... I have seen all the madden legends in here this is ridiculous...mine just borke again

WTFing

Banned
Twicenightly said:
I give up, I guess I'll just have to sit here and wait for it to come back one day, if it ever does. I don't think I could go through all this again if it died and I don't want to constantly be afraid of playing it incase I'm "wearing it out" if you know what I mean.
Gutted, I loved my 360, I had all (every one) of the arcade games on it and spent a fortune on it, then Microsoft go and not give a damn about me.

this exactly how i feel. I don't call them anymore, they won!

- Console sent on 27 April 2007 to MS
- MS sent me a broken one on 22 May 2007
- I sent it back the same day 22 May 2007
- today is 28 June 2007, still waiting since 27 April 2007. +2months!

In fact i don't care anymore and now i am thinking about selling it IF it comes back one day. What's the point of keeping a hardware that i am sure it will die ?

pCeSlAyEr

My launch unit is still alive and kicking, but my second console I purchased in Feb of 06 died just a few days ago.. :(

where the hell are the 3rd party solutions???

Got mine April 26th this year... it's now beginning to die - no red rings, but it'll only boot a disc (game or dvd) about 1 in 20 attempts. And if it does recognise the disc there's then a 20% it will crash within 3 minutes. I've been squarely ignored by Xbox customer support (now there's a surprise)

Great.

+1 for the list

Seeing as I've had it less than 90 days, I'm going to try and get a full refund, not a replacement. I'm not having MS take the piss. I'll just enjoy my Wii and start thinking about PS3.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
With the way things are going, I have to wonder if it is even worthwhile sending a 360 in for repair. After one repair, you can expect failures out the wazoo...

If my launch unit DOES crap out, I think I'll just wait until the 65nm hits (if it ever does). Then again, there are so many good 360 games on the way that I could not stand to miss. I'd probably end up buying a new 360 at that point (though I'm sure it would die soon enough as well).

Steroyd

Holy crap at list, that is absolutely amazing in a sad way. O_O

Someone with twelve broken Xbox 360's must be the current record right?

pCeSlAyEr

dark10x said:
With the way things are going, I have to wonder if it is even worthwhile sending a 360 in for repair. After one repair, you can expect failures out the wazoo...

If my launch unit DOES crap out, I think I'll just wait until the 65nm hits (if it ever does). Then again, there are so many good 360 games on the way that I could not stand to miss. I'd probably end up buying a new 360 at that point (though I'm sure it would die soon enough as well).
well my one box is well out of the warranty period, so I did Lawdawgs fix and it works just fine... for now..

segarr

Bugnology said:
this exactly how i feel. I don't call them anymore, they won!

- Console sent on 27 April 2007 to MS
- MS sent me a broken one on 22 May 2007
- I sent it back the same day 22 May 2007
- today is 28 June 2007, still waiting since 27 April 2007. +2months!

In fact i don't care anymore and now i am thinking about selling it IF it comes back one day. What's the point of keeping a hardware that i am sure it will die ?

Are you in the states?

Please tell me that not everyone is going to have to wait like this......there ARE still people getting their 360 back within a month....right?

This is REALLY frustrating to me....I'm a college student and I don't take my 360 back with me to the dorms (People at home want to play it). While I go to school fairly close to home, and can come back on a lot of weekends, I really don't get to play games that much during the school year. I really look forward to being able to play in the summer, but the ****ing console is a piece of crap.

This is the kind of stuff that is going to stop Microsoft from "winning" this gen......they have a chance and they are just giving it away.

Ronok

My console is dead and I'm not yet on the list...... Honestly it's been dead a few months and it's just sitting there...... Thinking of trying the towel trick followed by selling it to a store in order to buy a new one when it drops in price?

WTFing

Banned
segarr said:
Are you in the states?
Please tell me that not everyone is going to have to wait like this......there ARE still people getting their 360 back within a month....right?
No i am in Europe. Like others said, if you send your console today you have to wait 25 'working' days. Since you are in the US you are safe on this side, but maybe you'll have to wait 2 weeks for the coffin :lol :lol

Got my UPS call last night, should be here this afternoon.

June 02 to June 28, failure to replacement.

At least the last BBB rep I talked to said that the sweet spot for getting a new console instead of a refurb was 3 refurbishments...but he might have just been trying to get me off the phone. I'll let you know how this one goes.

segarr said:

I'm in the States and got mine in two weeks. That included shipping to and back.

i turned it on and my controller wasent working

i thought maybe it died and needed to be charged.... plugged the charge cable in.. no green light..reset the console red lights showed up

is it over for my 360? i checked the cables.... its a no go

Tokubetsu

grendelrt said:
My 3rd xbox died last night. Just bought the darkness too damnit. Hey maybe it is lucky number 4!

That's a tough break, mine broke 2 weeks before it came out so I canceled my pre-order. Now, I'll probably just trade in some games for it.

Dalauz

sorry if was already posted

Mass Xbox 360 crashing, Forza 2 forum gets over 900 replies

In a thread over at Forzamotorsport.net, there are now over 900 replies regarding 360s crashing due to Forza Motorsport 2. The pages go on and on with frustrated gamers and their stories. Many of the replies state that Forza 2 is the only game that causes the Xbox 360 to crash. It seems like this is a widespread problem.

From Forzamotorsport.net Forums:

"Add me to the list. Mine freezes up about once per hour also, although its been getting worse. Console is well ventilated and in horizontal position. I've had the freezing problem and the "To play this disc please insert into an XBOX 360 console" problem. It occurs at the start up screen, in the menus, in the races..every part of the game. Like most people on here, Forza is the only game that I've had this problem with. When it freezes up I get a clicking sound from the console like a CD player skipping. Its frustrating cause I'm really addicted to the game....when it works."

"If we have problems, they should be fixed. Free. Because it's this game that is causing it, regardless if it's the 360's fault in hardware, THIS game is causing the hardware to fail and freeze and of couse I'm mad because I had to buy a new 360 because my old one BRICKED while playing Forza (no prior problems) and now my new one bricked too (playing FORZA) and I have to send it in for repairs. Within one week of buying it, my brand new out of the box 360 got 3 red lights. Because of FORZA."

Every time a new game comes out we get these "it broke my system" sagas.
And yet the only occurence of a console-breaking update that's actually been grounded in fact was last Halloween's dashboard update.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
wtf my 360 started acting up with Forza :\ I had never had a problem with my launch unit till then.First time it froze I heard a huge screeching sound and I had to power off the system.

I tried to play pacman CE like an hour later and I got the red rings of death.

**** that,im not putting in Forza when I get my system back from MS.

i seriously cannot fathom how anyone can be a 360 "fanboy" why would anyone take up for a company with such shoddy hardware

they literary handed this generation over to Sony

Speevy

Banned
Phoenix Down said:
they literary handed this generation over to Sony

You mean...err...Nintendo?

And the game library is pretty much it. If the 360 weren't getting all the games, then people would just jump ship.

But the fact is that a bunch of us already have the system, and are too lazy/broke to make an expensive switch to a failing platform.

Speevy said:
You mean...err...Nintendo?

And the game library is pretty much it. If the 360 weren't getting all the games, then people would just jump ship.

But the fact is that a bunch of us already have the system, and are too lazy/broke to make an expensive switch to a failing platform.

no i meant sony... Wii has good games... but I honestly don't think the console has legs for the future to lead the industry.. plus theres nothing next gen about the console... the price is cheap.. you get what you pay for.. it will be dead in the water in 2 years
along with the ps2

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Yeah, pretty much. The 360 has an amazing lineup and that's the only thing keeping all these people playing. The PS3 is flopping hard and the Wii doesn't have the games to justify the purchase, nor the technical power I want.

Emerson said:
Yeah, pretty much. The 360 has an amazing lineup and that's the only thing keeping all these people playing. The PS3 is flopping hard and the Wii doesn't have the games to justify the purchase, nor the technical power I want.

the 360 lineup is amazing.. i know there going to have some nice game demos via XBL at e3... there hardware issues and the lack of fessing up to them is going to bite them in the ass.. the longer they wait the worst it will get

The ps3 is selling very slow mainly because of the high price point and the lack of games... it will still be expensive most likely at the end of the year ( maybe 499).. but there software will kick ass.... should drive sells... at least we know there stable and in for the long haul.. hardware wise

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Phoenix Down said:
the 360 lineup is amazing.. i know there going to have some nice game demos via XBL at e3... there hardware issues and the lack of fessing up to them is going to bite them in the ass.. the longer they wait the worst it will get

The ps3 is selling very slow mainly because of the high price point and the lack of games... it will still be expensive most likely at the end of the year ( maybe 499).. but there software will kick ass.... should drive sells... at least we know there stable and in for the long haul.. hardware wise

I agree, MS needs to get a silent fix out the door quickly or it will come back to hurt them, though I doubt it will kill the 360 as you seem to think it will. The system's too strong for that.

Yes, PS3 would sell better at a lower price point, but there are other advantages to the 360 that the PS3 doesn't match. Also, while it's got some nice games coming up, nothing like the 360 does IMO.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Phthisis said:
God damn. It's like someone at Microsoft hit the "Execute Order 66" button this week.

:lol

Emerson said:
I agree, MS needs to get a silent fix out the door quickly or it will come back to hurt them, though I doubt it will kill the 360 as you seem to think it will. The system's too strong for that.

Yes, PS3 would sell better at a lower price point, but there are other advantages to the 360 that the PS3 doesn't match. Also, while it's got some nice games coming up, nothing like the 360 does IMO.

I respect you on that.. both the ps3 and 360 have things the other doesen't.. but reliability is the biggest factor... ... what good is the games if you cant play them?

and I Disagree.. I think Sony has an edge on the games.. because there first party is so strong.. so many different companys and AAA titles in Alot of genres .. first party is a leg on the console... MS is missing that leg... 1 AAA title isent enough

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I can see that as well. But MS has a fairly strong edge in 3rd party support.

what good is the games if you cant play them?

True enough, but what good is a 600 dollar console sitting around with nothing great to play on it? I suppose it all comes back to the price for me.

Emerson said:
I can see that as well. But MS has a fairly strong edge in 3rd party support.

True enough, but what good is a 600 dollar console sitting around with nothing great to play on it? I suppose it all comes back to the price for me.

MS does have good 3rd party.. but will it be that way forever? no.. depending on 3rd party games to drive your system is a No No... when the install base matures first party will be what moves consoles.. thats where most of your are exclusives are

If a few ps3 titles interest you.. then of course the 600 isent worth it...

if you want to spend 400 dollors on a console.. 50 bucks a year for live.. and after your warranty is up.. pay for it to get fixed.. by all means go ahead... MS is really screwing people over left and right.. and it will bite them... this year.. watch

I will pay for quality any day

Top Bottom