• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 Official Japanese Thread - USE SPOILER TAGS (or we Kafrizzle yo ass)

king zell

09071113175_6.jpg

09071113175_5.jpg

09071113175_3.jpg

09071113175_13.jpg

09071113175_11.jpg

dq9ike01.jpg

dq9ike03.jpg

dq9ike05.jpg

dq9ike06.jpg

dq9ike11.jpg

dqix06.jpg

dqix05.jpg

dqix04.jpg

shibuya11.jpg

sprsk said:

147.jpg

A homeless guy was sleeping next to me in the line. He had no idea what on Earth was going on.

150.jpg

One of the first things I saw was a crazy foreigner (not sure where he was from) holding a sign that that proclaimed: "Final Fantasy BONZAI!(sic) / Dragon Quest BAKA!!! / Square Soft BONZAI / Hanz rocks my world / I like pie / Giant Bomb.com." And he kept shouting "FINAL FANTASY 13!"

:lol

RevenantKioku said:
Not at all.

Awesome, thanks for answering my question.

I think I might try getting this when it comes out in the US, my first Dragon Quest! I'll try and get my girlfriend to get it too, there's local co-op right?

That foreigner guy is a loser. Why would anybody waste their time randomly cheering on one game and hating on another...oh wait that's what the internet and GAF is for.

Anyway yeah those are the game books. Again, with the power of the internet, can't believe people still buy them. There must be a Japanese version of gamefaqs.com and hopefully without the community aspect to it.

Grampasso

Synth_floyd said:
That foreigner guy is a loser. Why would anybody waste their time randomly cheering on one game and hating on another...oh wait that's what the internet and GAF is for.

Anyway yeah those are the game books. Again, with the power of the internet, can't believe people still buy them. There must be a Japanese version of gamefaqs.com and hopefully without the community aspect to it.
For the art in the book and for the book itself. I'd buy it if I were there ç_ç

So any impressions from people that got it? I've played a little over an hour and just got to the part where you lose your wings and go down to the village that you were protecting. I guess the main part of the game starts from here. The part where you're an angel really reminded me of DQ6 when you first go to the illusion world and no one can see you.

fernoca

Synth_floyd said:
Well, yeah..but I buy guides for the art/drawing, extras..etc..
Recently bought the Pokémon Platinum Guide, mainly because:
  • It's 600+ pages (full color)
  • Includes a poster/map
  • Includes stickers
..and just $15..

Johnas

Icehouse said:
So on average, how long am I going to have to wait for this game to come out in America?

Who knows, but DQIV for DS released in NA ten months following the JP release, and DQV was six months after its JP release. Granted, those are remakes, but maybe it's not completely illogical to expect less than a year. I'm hoping for February '10 or so, I just don't think it's realistic to expect it this fall. I'd love to be surprised though.

fernoca said:
Well, yeah..but I buy guides for the art/drawing, extras..etc..
Recently bought the Pokémon Platinum Guide, mainly because:
  • It's 600+ pages (full color)
  • Includes a poster/map
  • Includes stickers
..and just $15..

Hubba hubba.

Artadius

Damn I wish we got guidebooks like that here in the US. I much prefer to have something like that at my hands than having to wade through walls of text on the internet....especially gamefaqs.

Doublejump books have been the closest that I've seen...but there's probably no chance in hell they'll be doing a guide for DQIX. It'll probably be prima or brady or some shit like that. :\

Johnas said:
Who knows, but DQIV for DS released in NA ten months following the JP release, and DQV was six months after its JP release. Granted, those are remakes, but maybe it's not completely illogical to expect less than a year. I'm hoping for February '10 or so, I just don't think it's realistic to expect it this fall. I'd love to be surprised though.

I think it would be easier to determine a release on when the announcement was made for the localization of the other two games relative to the Japanese release. Though, with the unhappiness about IVr and Vr sales in the rest of the world, and the fact that this is neither a remake or as short as those games, I'm not hoping for anything under a year. Sounds a lot like A Dance With Dragons :lol.

Who knows though, already seeing line by line translations pop up on various sites as people play through the game. Maybe playing through an import copy won't be that bad after all.

One of the first things I saw was a crazy foreigner (not sure where he was from) holding a sign that that proclaimed: "Final Fantasy BONZAI!(sic) / Dragon Quest BAKA!!! / Square Soft BONZAI / Hanz rocks my world / I like pie / Giant Bomb.com." And he kept shouting "FINAL FANTASY 13!"
I hope he was saying it like a Japanese person, like "FINAHDU FANTAHSEE SAHTEEN"

Neo Member
antispin said:
Has anyone spotted the DQIX Hori case for DSi?

Yeah, they're about 10 bucks. I walked into a Yamada this morning a few minutes after it opened and walked out about 5 minutes later with DQ9 and one of the cases. Being in a small town has some benefits, it seems.

The case is nice, but it's painted on the outside so I'm all nervous about scratching it. I feel like I need a case for the case.

xfactor

Banned
rhino4evr said:
that hint book was massive. I guess this wont be a short game.

That's the average strategy game books in Japan. The reason why they are so thick is because they are smaller than English guides, and they include lots of information on the games, artworks, and sometime interviews.

colinp

Banned
polyh3dron said:
I hope he was saying it like a Japanese person, like "FINAHDU FANTAHSEE SAHTEEN"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you've never heard a Japanese person pronounce Final Fantasy, have you?

antispin

0405 said:
Yeah, they're about 10 bucks. I walked into a Yamada this morning a few minutes after it opened and walked out about 5 minutes later with DQ9 and one of the cases. Being in a small town has some benefits, it seems.

The case is nice, but it's painted on the outside so I'm all nervous about scratching it. I feel like I need a case for the case.

Some pics would be appreciated, if you can.

Also: there seem to be two versions announced -- a silver/grey and a dark grey/black combo -- were they both available for purchase. I ask cause I only see the lighter version (meant to be used with white DSi, probably) available online and I wanted the darker one, for black DSi. Thanks for your time answering these.

john tv

Thread title updated. Use spoiler tags for story-related stuff or anything even remotely spoiler-ish. Remember a lot of peeps won't be playing this for many months to come. :)

colinp

Banned
antispin said:

Also: there seem to be two versions announced -- a silver/grey and a dark grey/black combo -- were they both available for purchase. I ask cause I only see the lighter version (meant to be used with white DSi, probably) available online and I wanted the darker one, for black DSi. Thanks for your time answering these.

I think they're all the same- it's just clear plastic around the slime so you can see the color of your DSi... Does that make sense?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Shouta said:
The character creation gives a nice DQ3 vibe off if you're playing solo, it's kinda nice.

Would this also happen to include the DQ III ability to make more than four party members?

Neo Member
antispin said:

No problem. I only saw the light one(which is the one I wanted), so I don't know if there's a darker one. Pictures were taken with a cellphone camera, so they're not the greatest. I tried to keep my hand out of most of the pictures, but it's in a few, so try not to be distracted by it's awe-inspiring beauty.

Front of box:
01.jpg

Back of box:
02.jpg

Front of case:
03.jpg

Back of DSi open:
04.jpg

Front of DSi open:
05.jpg

Left side:
06.jpg

Front...side?:
07.jpg

Back at angle:
08.jpg

If you have a wrist strap or something attached on the back, it seems like you'll have to take it off before putting the case on, then it put it back on afterwards. All the buttons/stylus/ports are easy enough to get to with it on.

Shouta

Man God said:
Would this also happen to include the DQ III ability to make more than four party members?

Seems like you can and leave them at the place. Of course, they don't come with much if any gear at all. :lol Yay for making sure we don't abuse them!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Shouta said:
Seems like you can and leave them at the place. Of course, they don't come with much if any gear at all. :lol Yay for making sure we don't abuse them!

It was a decent source of money in DQ III, I guess. :lol

Anyways, variety is good! Until one absolutely broken job line comes up and I eventually have all/most of my party do that, but still!

Top Bottom