• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elder Scrolls Online Beta sign up

Sothpaw

I love the defense force? Like...I've played EVERY MMO that's come around from the west in the past 15 years, in beta or release. This is absolute bottom of the barrel jank. Beta or not, it's not going to do a magic 180. The worst I've played in at least 5 or 6 years, no joke.

I would honestly say this is the worst MMO I have ever played. And I have played almost every MMO.

well it's better than Tortanic. I'll play this some when they add in controller support.

Fuck no. I mean I wouldn't recommend TOR to anyone but ESO is on a whole nother level of shit.

Edwardo

I played for about an hour. I thought it would run better on my laptop, but I had to put everything on low to not slow anything down. It sucks because I turned it on High first and everything looked really nice.

I love the defense force? Like...I've played EVERY MMO that's come around from the west in the past 15 years, in beta or release. This is absolute bottom of the barrel jank. Beta or not, it's not going to do a magic 180. The worst I've played in at least 5 or 6 years, no joke.

I am curious, if you have played EVERY western developed MMO of the last 15 years, what is the 2nd to worst MMO you played?

Valravn

So the world is pretty dead i heard. So far for immersion in an Elder Scrolls game.

Did someone do a dungeon? If the combat is awful i wonder how it is during a dungeon run. :)

TheYanger

I am curious, if you have played EVERY western developed MMO of the last 15 years, what is the 2nd to worst MMO you played?

That's a long list of mediocrity to consider. It's definitely nothing as reasonable as FF or ToR despite what people want to hear. I think for me it would be DDO, but even that is miles more entertaining than this was tbh. I struggle to think of a game I saw NO redeeming features in until now. Vanguard had a lot of jank but it had a lot right, it DID run like poop though which made it pretty bad.

nutella

Neo Member
Played about 10 hours and I'm ready to write this one off. My MMO track record dates back to UO beta with about 5 MMOs played to end game: UO, EQ, DAOC, WoW (heroic raiding through Pandaria), and SW:TOR. I feel like all of those games (perhaps excluding SW:TOR) have unique qualities that make them stand out from the pack and hold your interest over time. With ESO, I'm just not feeling it. It needs to figure out what it wants to be going forward, because I think it struggles with a major identity crisis at the moment that will alienate both ES fans and MMO veterans alike.

Oh well. At this point, I'm left hoping EQ Next will deliver on its promises.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
That's a long list of mediocrity to consider. It's definitely nothing as reasonable as FF or ToR despite what people want to hear. I think for me it would be DDO, but even that is miles more entertaining than this was tbh. I struggle to think of a game I saw NO redeeming features in until now. Vanguard had a lot of jank but it had a lot right, it DID run like poop though which made it pretty bad.

Vanguard > ESO. If ESO was releasing 6/7 years ago, then sure, it would be more comparable, but it's not 2006/7. This type of shit is not acceptable anymore, or shouldn't be to anyone that has played MMOs for a while.

TheYanger

Vanguard > ESO. If ESO was releasing 6/7 years ago, then sure, it would be more comparable, but it's not 2006/7. This type of shit is not acceptable anymore, or shouldn't be to anyone that has played MMOs for a while.

I...agree wholeheartedly? I didn't think it read that way, if it did I apologize: TESO is certainly the worst MMO I've ever played, I only add the caveat that it's entirely possible I've forgotten about some terrible ones along the way.

ZPs

Everyone I know shares the same thoughts as the recent posts in this thread - the game is garbage. It's an actual unprecedented level of bad. Most of the MMO stinkers in recent memory have had at least a handful of redeeming aspects (ie: SWTOR and it's leveling story), but there is nothing redeeming in TESO. The only entertaining part of the game is going to be the insider leaks about how such a turd got developed in the first place.

Effect

Played a little and ugh. Not worth the download time at all. I can see what they're going to go for here but the experience is bad feel. It's functional but that's just it I think. For a MMORPG there are other games out there currently do a much better job with the action combat system period. I was iffy on the game anyway from the start. I didn't think this was ever needed or desired. A co-op version of Elders Scroll would have been fine. I had actually forgotten I had signed up when I got the email. Such a waste in the end.

Played more, and surprisingly addicted, though that may be because it scratches a long-dormant MMO itch.

More than anything I'm enjoying the world. Seeing Elsweyr is wonderful, and only cements my opinion that a future mainline title needs to take place there. The combat's otherwise mediocre, and the quests are at best a step above your average fair, helped by being more unique and interesting than kill/collect quests.

Has anyone successfully picked a lock in this beta?
Yes. It's not too difficult. Hold down the LMB over a tumbler until it starts wiggling, then release. Rinse and repeat.

Red Comet

The combat needs some serious refining. Or maybe it gets better at higher levels, I don't know. One thing I can say is that the character models look great and there is the potential for some really cool armor. I don't have overly positive feelings for the game as a whole though. I'll wait to see how it fairs after launch, but I don't know if I'm going to subscribe to this.

I think the game would do decently well as a B2P like Guild Wars, but as a subscription game, I don't have much hope for it lasting long. One can only hope they have people planning on how to monetize it for when that inevitably has to happen.

I honestly enjoyed my romps into ESO at PAX and a few weeks ago during a 3 hour stress test. This time I couldn't even get past level 6 before walking away. It feels so automated. Combat has no weight, they removed countering, and skills are bland. Honestly SWTOR is better than this game by far. This games survival will depend solely upon how good its F2P model becomes. Swtor was killed by its horrible pay gate F2P model that inhibited general play. If they put pay gates all over in ESO once it hits F2P it will die as well especially with Wildstar and Everquest next coming.

I think the game would do decently well as a B2P like Guild Wars, but as a subscription game, I don't have much hope for it lasting long. One can only hope they have people planning on how to monetize it for when that inevitably has to happen.

B2P mixed with a microstransaction system for cosmetic upgrades is the future. Also letting the consumers create and expand content for you like everquest next is doing is of the utmost importance. Most teams simply cannot balance working on micro transaction items and produce great new content at the rate people expect. So what's the answer? The thing the community has been saying for years and is just now being recognized, let us do it. Let us be a larger part of your game, we are your lifeblood, but we are also the people who appreciate and understabd your vision. let us forge ahead with the expansive manpower you don't have. You are the creator, you set the world in motion, you can still have a part in this, but for the most part it's in our hands now.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Tried this game over the weekend, it's aweful. Not much of an MMO player any more but The new FF shits all over this and I still won't pay for that one. Good luck, they gonna need it.

Gave this game a go, and while i'm usually fairly lenient with betas and will give a lot of feedback I felt this one was beyond saving. Not a single aspect of the game seemed enjoyable to me after giving it a shot for an hour. The combat being atrocious was the worst offender since it's the base of the game. The only positive i saw is that it looks fairly nice. It's usually unfair to write off a game after an hour, but this is one of the worst playing MMOs i've ever experienced. Went back to playing Wildstar and never looked back. I hope the devs can somehow turn it around and make it good, but it felt like a really terrible free-to-play MMO you'd stumble across on a random site.. but with Elder Scrolls paint. If i was trying it in alpha i'd have said it really needed some work, but this is beta and there's only so much you can do by that point.

fader

did anyone do the survey? I'm filling it out now I have a lot to say about this.... A LOT. I am not going to be one of those guys who complains and don't give input. This was probably my worst experiences with a Beta game... Hell even an Alpha game.

BizzyBum

I can't form my own opinion since I only played about an hour since I was busy most of the weekend. I got past the starting area and walked around the Skyrim starting zone for about 5 minutes.

It's pretty discouraging how bad the outlook is. I was really hoping this was going to be good. The one thing I can comment on are the graphics which were pretty sub par. "It's an MMO" is not an excuse anymore for bad graphics when games like TERA and FFXIV exist which look great.

I played for several hours over three different characters because I wanted to see the different zones... I was immensely disappointed that the starting zone for Dunmer wasn't in Morrowind.

My basic feedback is: it's like playing gimped Elder Scrolls. I played with a friend who is into MMOs but has never played an Elder Scrolls game, and I had to keep explaining how you can actually do more in regular Elder Scrolls, like rob the shopkeepers, kill NPCs, find items without being on a quest, etc.

The best thing I could say is the lore seemed good, like a retail Elder Scrolls game.

Kimawolf

I played for several hours over three different characters because I wanted to see the different zones... I was immensely disappointed that the starting zone for Dunmer wasn't in Morrowind.

My basic feedback is: it's like playing gimped Elder Scrolls. I played with a friend who is into MMOs but has never played an Elder Scrolls game, and I had to keep explaining how you can actually do more in regular Elder Scrolls, like rob the shopkeepers, kill NPCs, find items without being on a quest, etc.

The best thing I could say is the lore seemed good, like a retail Elder Scrolls game.

That's exactly what ti feels liek to me. A gimped Elder Scrolls game. the combat is as bad as it is in all Elderscrolls game, but it's missing that spark that makes people like them. I guess they were hoping the live players would add life to the game.

Effect

I don't understand at all the thought that you can't form an opinion about a MMO after a few hours of play or less. For as much new content that appears as you progress further in a MMO the basics of what you are doing don't change from the beginning. Unless they decide to introduce something completely off the wall and even that that's likely to be an endgame type of thing or raiding related.You normally just get new abilities. If a core aspect of the game isn't enjoyable or is confusing from the very beginning it won't magically get better later on in the game. All that will happen is you will become more frustrated and unhappy and the company will have gotten more of your money as you naively hold out hope things will get better.

Kingbrave

did anyone do the survey? I'm filling it out now I have a lot to say about this.... A LOT. I am not going to be one of those guys who complains and don't give input. This was probably my worst experiences with a Beta game... Hell even an Alpha game.

I wrote a bunch of stuff on my survey. I really wanted to like the game but shit.

Dysun

So is the beta already over or are the servers just down?

Weekend beta.

TOR was far more playable, at least you had the story to keep you entertained. This has zero redeeming qualities, it's a by the numbers MMO that feels like it's copy pasted MMO 101 design. The combat is atrocious and a jankfest, the world is sterile and lifeless. I won't be bothering with the beta again, 2 hours is enough for an impression. This isn't my first MMO

Sothpaw

TOR was far more playable, at least you had the story to keep you entertained. This has zero redeeming qualities, it's a by the numbers MMO that feels like it's copy pasted MMO 101 design. The combat is atrocious and a jankfest, the world is sterile and lifeless. I won't be bothering with the beta again, 2 hours is enough for an impression. This isn't my first MMO

Yea I have been disappointed by mmos in the past (SWG, TOR, WAR, etc). But this is absolutely, positively a bad game. Not a disappointing game, simply bad.

studyguy

That was... okay I guess.
I honestly stopped playing it 1/2 way through the weekend to go play PSO2 and XIV again. I can see the appeal to Skyrim fans specifically, but it doesn't really scratch that Elder Scrolls itch for me exactly.

Also this game is slated for Q1 2014 right?
It doesn't exactly feel like it is in a ready state for a what? 3-4 month timeframe of release? Seems awfully fast, but whatever, good luck to them.

Aaron

I only played this for about an hour and went back to playing Skyrim, even though I already have over 300 hours in the latter. It's just a much better game.

Valravn

The game suffers from identity crisis. It wants to be an mmo but with the combat and first person perspective from the Elder Scroll games. The combat is just bad, there is no weight behind it. Take the combat from Skyrim and make that even duller and you have TESO.

The Elder Scrolls games are all about immersion. We can look past the clunky combat if the world invites you to explore it. But TESO doesnt have it, the world is just dead. Also the game is in beta, but it plays more like an alpha. How did this get through? They need to change a lot, but its in beta and release is in 4 months? I expect a massive failure and this game will tarnish the repution of the Elder Scrolls series.

So there, i said it.

Mandoric

Banned
I don't understand at all the thought that you can't form an opinion about a MMO after a few hours of play or less. For as much new content that appears as you progress further in a MMO the basics of what you are doing don't change from the beginning. Unless they decide to introduce something completely off the wall and even that that's likely to be an endgame type of thing or raiding related.You normally just get new abilities. If a core aspect of the game isn't enjoyable or is confusing from the very beginning it won't magically get better later on in the game. All that will happen is you will become more frustrated and unhappy and the company will have gotten more of your money as you naively hold out hope things will get better.

I think it's certainly possible for them to change vastly. Think of a game like early FFXI where your defining abilities trickle in all the way up to endgame, and the content is structured around solo hunting at the bottom, occupying dungeon territory as a party midgame, and straight-up fights with large bosses endgame, plus a focus on role versatility and being able to combine roles more effectively as you gained more experience.

On the other hand, I think modern MMO design is completely opposed to emergent play like that and we're unlikely to see that kind of opening up from a post-WoW title. Maybe EQNext.

TheYanger

I think it's certainly possible for them to change vastly. Think of a game like early FFXI where your defining abilities trickle in all the way up to endgame, and the content is structured around solo hunting at the bottom, occupying dungeon territory as a party midgame, and straight-up fights with large bosses endgame, plus a focus on role versatility and being able to combine roles more effectively as you gained more experience.

On the other hand, I think modern MMO design is completely opposed to emergent play like that and we're unlikely to see that kind of opening up from a post-WoW title. Maybe EQNext.

That's only content changing though, the basic gameplay does not change. For instance, while the pvp MAY be fun in TESO, or the end game pve may be really cool somehow, the combat and quest systems are NOT going to change, they're basic gameplay functions, and they're bad. So, it's genuinely not that difficult to get an idea of how an MMO plays pretty quickly. I had an entire bar of hotkeys by level 3 or 4, If the low level abilities suck and aren't fun, why would I extrapolate something different for the level 20 and 30 abilities?

I mean, yeah, wow at level 10 is different in many ways from wow at level 90 in a raid, but all the same the basic act of running up to something and killing it isn't THAT different aside from the amount of depth due to having more options.

fwpx

I gave this a shot for a solid 2 hours, the combat is so horrendous that I'll never purchase this game. They'd have to do some kind of overhaul.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
This is my surprise when this goes into open beta and is almost immediately delayed to November 2014.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Everyone I know shares the same thoughts as the recent posts in this thread - the game is garbage. It's an actual unprecedented level of bad. Most of the MMO stinkers in recent memory have had at least a handful of redeeming aspects (ie: SWTOR and it's leveling story), but there is nothing redeeming in TESO. The only entertaining part of the game is going to be the insider leaks about how such a turd got developed in the first place.

Yup, after playing the beta I have to agree. At least with SWTOR you could ignore everything else wrong and just play your character as if it was KOTOR 3, a story driven single-player RPG.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
I'm quite impressed with some of yall. I could only take 10 minutes of this game before I uninstalled it.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Part of me feels like the reason I enjoy TES so much is the feeling of solitude you have while exploring. A full out MMO just has and does feel weird to me.

I like some MMO's, but I like The Elder Scrolls series for different reasons entirely. And yeah, like you said, that feeling of solitude in a vast interactive world is exactly why I've played every TES game since Daggerfall. It's why I buy them. If I want an MMO experience I'll boot up WoW.

That's not to say that an MMO TES game couldn't work, but I'm not sure I'd want one anyway. And from the sound of it, I don't want this one either.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I like some MMO's, but I like The Elder Scrolls series for different reasons entirely. And yeah, like you said, that feeling of solitude in a vast interactive world is exactly why I've played every TES game since Daggerfall. It's why I buy them. If I want an MMO experience I'll boot up WoW.

That's not to say that an MMO TES game couldn't work, but I'm not sure I'd want one anyway. And from the sound of it, I don't want this one either.

They could totally have done that in an MMO (in the traditional sense of the term) setting. They just needed a really big world (easier said than done, I know), with interesting settings and reasons to explore. Get rid of the concept of starting towns and quest hubs. Hell, get rid of quests in the traditional sense completely. Make it full PvP, but also implement systems that discourage outright ganking and encourage cooperative player interaction. It could have been a brilliant game, but instead they didn't have any kind of vision and just made some weird version of WoW with shitty combat and a totally out-of-place interface.

CzarTim

They could totally have done that in an MMO (in the traditional sense of the term) setting. They just needed a really big world (easier said than done, I know), with interesting settings and reasons to explore. Get rid of the concept of starting towns and quest hubs. Hell, get rid of quests in the traditional sense completely. Make it full PvP, but also implement systems that discourage outright ganking and encourage cooperative player interaction. It could have been a brilliant game, but instead they didn't have any kind of vision and just made some weird version of WoW with shitty combat and a totally out-of-place interface.

Yep, so much they could have done had they ignored traditional MMO conventions.

Top Bottom