• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda teases early development of The Elder Scrolls VI on 30th anniversary of the franchise

mansoor1980

Gold Member
i hope they dont ignore the fallout franchise

d88.gif

Better than Skyrim and Oblivion? Not a chance in hell. Starfield has a catchy theme, which is par for the course with Zur, but not much else beyond that. He can’t carry a game with his tunes like Soule does. Dude is on a different level.
Yeah, OK. Sure. Starfield is far more advanced than anything Soule has ever done. I've already commented on this in the past, but Zur did some Mozartean stuff with Starfield. Opening statement in the main theme and building new compositions out of all the motives present in the opening theme. It's brilliant, expertly crafted, and you probably haven't closely listened to the Starfield score if you think it sucks. I love what Jeremy Soule did for The Elder Scrolls, but it's no comparison, IMO.

Kacho

Yeah, OK. Sure. Starfield is far more advanced than anything Soule has ever done. I've already commented on this in the past, but Zur did some Mozartean stuff with Starfield. Opening statement in the main theme and building new compositions out of all the motives present in the opening theme. It's brilliant, expertly crafted, and you probably haven't closely listened to the Starfield score if you think it sucks. I love what Jeremy Soule did for The Elder Scrolls, but it's no comparison, IMO.
The Starfield score is functional but unremarkable. It will be the same in TESVI if Zur is tasked with composing the music. Gonna feel like off brand Elder Scrolls.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
When was this game announced with that tiny trailer? 5 years ago?

By the time it comes out, it'll skip a gen an be a 2028 kind of game. You never know, maybe even 2030.

E-Cat

Elder Scrolls music is a different beast, a Sibelian kind of quiet introversion and embodying the natural elements. It's where Soule excels at.

SoloCamo

30 years of Elder Scrolls, and almost 15 years since the launch of Skyrim. Puts things in perspective.
Aging Matt Damon GIF

Better than Skyrim and Oblivion? Not a chance in hell. Starfield has a catchy theme, which is par for the course with Zur, but not much else beyond that. He can’t carry a game with his tunes like Soule does. Dude is on a different level.

I'll just mod in the Morrowind music like I did for other games.

Humdinger

Morrowind is my favorite game of all time. I enjoyed Oblivion, and I loved Skyrim. No doubt, I will buy Elder Scrolls VI, if for no other reason than sentimental attachment to the series. I will have to play it for myself. I take some comfort from knowing that they will not (unlike what happened with Starfield) abandon the core element of what makes their games so immersive, the open-world exploration.

However, it is way too early to get "excited" about anything -- the game is many years away -- and I'm pretty jaded by Bethesda's track record over the past decade. So although I fully intend to buy the game, I also fully expect to be disappointed.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
30 years of Elder Scrolls, and almost 15 years since the launch of Skyrim. Puts things in perspective.
Game companies should not be allowed to celebrate anniversaries of their games if they've been absent with new entries for 7+ years.

The franchise has been around for 30 years yes but you haven't made 30 years worth of games, neither have you gained 30 years worth of experience.

In reality we've had 15 years worth of elder scrolls games and then dead silence for the rest

fatmarco

Elder Scrolls music is a different beast, a Sibelian kind of quiet introversion and embodying the natural elements. It's where Soule excels at.
Yeah, I'd also say Starfield actually suffered musically in part because of repetition and its inability to get out of the way. It didn't have the kinds of passive, ambient atmospheric sounds that allowed you to play long sessions of Skyrim, nor was it dynamic enough to enhance those individual moments of discovery.

To be fair though, a lot of the issues with the music are the fault of the game itself. There was very few big discovery moments for dynamic music to even play a part. The music in Skyrim (and Morrowind and Oblivion) worked a lot largely because the worlds lore/canon gave the music a gravitas that Starfield just couldn't compete with due to it not existing in a world with magic. Elder Scrolls lore is full of mystery and unknown, of men, magic, and gods, and the music does an incredible job of conveying those elements.

Exploring an ancient civilization's underground city, whose population vanished thousands of years ago with no clear explanation, where you can find texts and lore around every corner is always going to crush the feeling of exploring a procedurally generated mercenary outpost on a completely meaningless planet, with completely valueless, non unique loot. Skyrim is full of the former, and unfortunately Starfield is primarily the latter.

Last edited:
I really hope this studio can turn things around. They’ve been making the same outdated games for a very long time, Starfield being an example of a title that also introduced so much bloat and flaws

They need to really rethink their engine, and the amount of worthless trivial scope they add to their games

Will play it 2 years after launch, so maybe 10 yrs from now??

Had promised myself this with Starfield as well but stupidity got the better of me.

No more Todd Howard press conferences for me, ever….

Banjo64

cumsessed
This has got disaster written all over it. There’s a really clear trajectory with BGS, they reached their zenith with TES V in 2011 and it’s been a decline ever since.

Fallout 4 and Starfield have been repackaged Skyrims in a post apocalyptic and space setting.

This will be Skyrim set in another Tamriel region. The issue is that this will release nearly 20 years after the last iteration and people are sick and tired of the BGS formula.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
a lot of hurtfull replies inhere , starfield broke a lot of hearts it seems

tumblr_inline_payxrbMY2L1rk1o7g_640.gif

todd howard redemption arc begins with ES6..................

2FC189AEDFAA45F71388AA215195557C303ADF05

Last edited:

Kings Field

I hope they can recapture that magic they had with Morrowind and Oblivion because Skyrim just didn’t do it for me at all.

LRKD

At least with something like Elder Scrolls, the devs have previous games to look back towards, when they are wondering how the hell to make a decent game. But with 3 mid-bad games in a row, you bet people will be questioning this ones quality all the way up to release.

Also, does anyone seriously expect a new engine? Hell no, not happening. I also don't think the engine has ever truly been the problem. It's not a bad car, it's a bad driver so to speak. You don't see people speaking ill of something like Destiny that has been using a 25-year-old engine.

dorkimoe

someone said this is using the same engine starfield used? If thats the case this is going to be one of the biggest failures in gaming. That engine is so fucking crusty old, might as well call it Load Simulation

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Their biggest, most expensive, longest-in-development game with their largest ever development team. Surely that means it’s going to be awesome, right?

Top Bottom