• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Strikes Again: All YouTube Comments Are G+ Username Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone is complaining about the G+ account but aren't those accounts auto-created based on your Youtube name?
No they have to get your consent. Every time I X the box, it says "okay we'll ask you again later". Judging Google's approach over the last year or two I would give it 6 months before they threaten to close your account unless you do it. And then another few months before they actually close it. Assuming the backlash does nothing.

Google's steps of introducing products
1. Launch as a closed beta, the exclusive nature will attract an elite
2. Launch publicly and hope people will join of their own accord
3. Pester those who haven't to join when using other Google services
4. Slowly remove access to other Google features unless they use new product
5. Entirely remove access to the Google service unless they use new product
6. Create a new product account without their permission (see Hi5)

alf717

Yea Goolge is getting weird. Last night I was going to comment and then it keep asking me the same questions. The wording of that question is so annoying. No matter what I did it kept creating G+ accounts for me. Even if I wanted to use my Youtube name it kept making a G+ account it was infuriating. I have like three accounts now according to the switch account manager. My real name and two of my Internet name.

Diablos

So many hateful/inflammatory/misleading comments are made with semi-anonymous usernames, and with no real moderation in place to deal with that consistently it might be a welcome change.

It isn't like NeoGAF where you can crack down on that stuff immediately.

Still, G+ sucks, so it isn't really helping the community aspect of YT by forcing that it be the only viable option...

I can't even see the comments section anymore, regardless of whether I'm viewing on my G+ or YT accounts. Can't rate any videos either. That was yesterday, in work now so not sure if it's been fixed in the interim.

A search tells me to disable extensions and see which one is causing the problem but that didn't do it either. I don't mind not seeing the comments so much but I do like to give that extra support to the persons video I'm watching by liking it.

tci

This finally motivated me to delete that G+ account.
I did this about a month ago.

One day I got the regular message from YT if I wanted to use my G+ name on my channel. I choose no, but still it happened.

So I got two accounts. 1 with all my subrscriptons and the other with all my filters which I had used about 1 hour to setup a few days earlier.

Deleted my G+ and are in the progress of going only Ooutlook from now on.

Google can go fuck themself.

?oe?oe

I just clicked a random person and found out you can posts gifs on G+. The first thing I thought was why was this person using G+.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I did this about a month ago.

One day I got the regular message from YT if I wanted to use my G+ name on my channel. I choose no, but still it happened.

So I got two accounts. 1 with all my subrscriptons and the other with all my filters which I had used about 1 hour to setup a few days earlier.

Exactly what happened to me. Its fucking stupid. Is there any way to move my subscriptions and videos over to this new channel they created for me without having to manual move everything over?

tci

Exactly what happened to me. Its fucking stupid. Is there any way to move my subscriptions and videos over to this new channel they created for me without having to manual move everything over?
No idea. I was so pissed I didn't give a damn.

I was close to deleting my YT account as well. But I would hate to loose my 100 subscriptions.

Mindwipe

So many hateful/inflammatory/misleading comments are made with semi-anonymous usernames, and with no real moderation in place to deal with that consistently it might be a welcome change.

Why would it do anything about that?

Except tell the people posting hate speech who everyone else was to target their racist/sexist comments against?

Facebook has long since proven that dickheads actually don't mind having their real name attached.

Rootbeer

Banned
Classic Google, all engineering and no design. It's a clustefuck of confusing account entanglement and privacy issues. I still can't navigate around youtube properly since the last overhaul, and now the new comment system has made it all the worse.

No idea. I was so pissed I didn't give a damn.

I was close to deleting my YT account as well. But I would hate to loose my 100 subscriptions.
Subscriptions remain in tact, when you delete your channel. You just log in with the same e.mail and password, they describe it as a non public presence. Not sure if this means you lose playlists however. Might be tied to your channel.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
And the crazy will know who you are.

What YouTube comments really needed was for all the racists, sexists and general dickheads to know the gender and ethnic background of every other commentator. That won't go badly at all.

Good point - oops.

tci

Subscriptions remain in tact, when you delete your channel. You just log in with the same e.mail and password, they describe it as a non public presence. Not sure if this means you lose playlists however. Might be tied to your channel.
my subscriptions are intact, my filters are not. Which I used a long time to setup.

K.Sabot

Is it just me or are the awful offensive comments the ones being voted to the top more often now?

It's like the worst case scenario reddit, and normal reddit isn't that much better.

diamount

Banned
Is it just me or are the awful offensive comments the ones being voted to the top more often now?

It's like the worst case scenario reddit, and normal reddit isn't that much better.

It feels to me that voting down comments is broken. You got like religious zealots spouting something like typhoons are the wrath of god on videos that have nothing to do with god.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Classic Google, all engineering and no design. It's a clustefuck of confusing account entanglement and privacy issues. I still can't navigate around youtube properly since the last overhaul, and now the new comment system has made it all the worse.

They are shifting to use G+ as the basis for all Google services. They are moving AWAY from account entanglement, and as of this month they have one privacy policy for all of their products. How is this a clusterfuck?

I think I'm just going to move over all of my videos to Vimeo.
I got a fledgling music career to think of here, and I'd rather not get to the top by suckling on Google's anti-consumerist teet.

Hale-XF11

Made a google plus account with the exact same name as my youtube name just so I could reply to comments on my videos. Just the fact that I had to do that is so dumb.

Now, on top of that, I also have to create a gmail account I'll never use except for when I want to be notified of when I get replies to my videos. Meaning, I'll have to log into gmail in order to get my notices instead of just using youtube like I've always done.

SMH

Darkwater

I've been fiddling with this, and I got this message after I let Google/YouTube create a Google+ page (not an account) for an old YouTube account:

Your channel has been updated. You can now access any other Google products as TehDarkwater.
Visit your channel's page on Google+. You can undo this update any time in the next 14 days.

Anyone know what happens after 14 days? Does the glue between the channel and the page dry or something?

IISANDERII

I can't even post comments at all. I get a fucken pop-up and then it says:

5507688003_a58994266e_z.jpg

Fucking morons.

Rootbeer

Banned
They are shifting to use G+ as the basis for all Google services. They are moving AWAY from account entanglement, and as of this month they have one privacy policy for all of their products. How is this a clusterfuck?
When I login to youtube after being forced to migrate it to G+ I now have a drop-down list where I have to manually select my youtube account or my G+ account, even though they are apparently the same now or something. Just one of many poorly implemented features, with so many others already outlined in this very thread. I think that's pretty unintuitive and yes, clusterfuckish. I don't want or like this, and I don't think anyone else does either.

I'm not going to go into a whole shpiel about the privacy concerns, It's all been laid out very clearly. Bottom line: I don't trust google to manage my privacy, I'll do that myself and I prefer to do it through pseudonyms to protect myself. We definitely have a lot of people that will abuse that but that's their problem to deal with, they have the money to do so. I don't want a solution that forces me to share anything I don't want to.

About toxic comments on youtube and other social sites... I think comment rating (and sorting based on this) coupled with abuse reporting by the public should be more than enough. But honestly I don't believe this is about that for them. If anything it's an excuse to push G+ on people, that's their ultimate goal, not making youtube a nicer place because it's more unusable now than it's ever been, comments or no comments.

You know, I'd be fine with this if there actually was a consumer privacy law that protected us from the selling of our information, especially in the case of business bankruptcy.

What? Random website wants to log in through Facebook and will have access to all my Facebook details? Then random website goes out of business a week later and sells my personal information in the liquidation process?

Yeah, no thanks.

Woorloog

Banned
Did they revert to old comment system? Or do i still have some old cookies or some such so that i see the old system?
EDIT i mean, the voted comments being top comments, not the ones with most replies?

tci

Did they revert to old comment system? Or do i still have some old cookies or some such so that i see the old system?
EDIT i mean, the voted comments being top comments, not the ones with most replies?
Seems they have updated it, yes.

But I still can't reply to pre G+ comments on my old videos.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Seems they have updated it, yes.

But I still can't reply to pre G+ comments on my old videos.

That probably won't be fixed. Just imagining the various technology behind the two systems, the difficulty in integrating them fully would like make it infeasible, if not nearly impossible.

All the other problems will probably be fixed in time, though. And as time goes on, the issue of responding to old comments won't be much of an issue.

test_account

XP-39C²
Is the notification system not working? I know for sure that i've set the Google+/Youtube settings to notify me if someone comments on my videos, and i know for sure that i've got comments on my videos after i did this (i know this buy checking the video comment section manually), yet i have received no notification.

Has Google made any statements on this force Google+ integration by the way? I assume that there are a lot of angry people due to this change.

EDIT: When you give thumbs up to a comment now, do this person get a notification about it? If so, that is one thing that is great with the new system.

brian577

Banned
And as time goes on, the issue of responding to old comments won't be much of an issue.

It will always be for me. I've received responses to comments I've made years ago. They never even made it clear this would be an issue when the changes were implemented which show how little thought they put into this.

Somehow the website logged me off two times today, and each time when logging in again it asked me if I wished to use the site as my YouTube nickname or as my gmail address.

I'm even more lost now. This whole mess makes no fucking sense.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
so, in my opinion, this seems to be working. all the real name comments ive been reading have been pretty civil and cool.

Madao

i didn't have a g+ account before this.

the account i was given is basically the same info i had in my YT account (in other words, no real life info at all)

badblue

Gold Member
Youtube just forced me to log in with my google+ name. No choice in the matter either... doing it also just deleted every channel subscription i had too.

I finally got rid of the annoying nag screen "Use Youtube As" which tries to force you to use your Google+ account. I more or less had to create another Google account (on top of the several I already had), just to keep my old default name on Youtube. Fucking Christ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom