• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grim Fandango Remastered |OT| The Excelsior Line Edition

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I just went and looked and it said "Not available for purchase". Kinda sucks, I'll check back tomorrow and see if it changes.

I would. I have the majority of my themes from pre-orders, but the LBP3 theme is on there for purchase. I just assume something would change.

gfxtwin

Well shit. I pre-ordered it and got the timer glitch that prevents me from playing it now. So I deleted the game and tried re-downloading it but every time I try to do that it tells me if I'd like to go back to the playstaion store and download it WHICH IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO DO THIS WHOLE TIME. Argh!

gfxtwin

How are you guys already playing the game? Nobody else is having issues with either the pre-order timer or downloading it from PSN?

kgtrep

I played just enough to meet
Eva and Glottis
, and am quite impressed by the branching dialogs. I could handle the tank control all right with the D-pad, but got confused every now and then with the analog stick. Hopefully there is no run-for-your-life event in the game.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Hello,

For those of you who pre-ordered Grim Fandango Remastered and have already pre-loaded the game, you may need to re-download the game in order to play it.

Here's how:

Re-download steps for pre-order users
Return to the PS4 store and purchase the free version of the game (this SKU will only be visible to pre-order users at around 9pm PST.) Purchase the SKU only, do not re-download at this point.
Restore PS4 licenses. [Settings] > [PSN] > [Restore License]. If this doesn't solve the issue continue to step 3.
Go to Library, highlight Grim Fandango and press Options.
Delete Game Content.
While still in the Library highlight Grim Fandango and press X to re-download the content.
Restore licenses again.

Hope this helps,
- MV

http://community.us.playstation.com...ndango-Pre-order-Issue/m-p/44923029#U44923029

This link came from Tim Schafer's Twitter.
If you pre-ordered Grim and it's not unlocking for you, Sony has some tips for you here: Link from above
https://twitter.com/TimOfLegend/status/559963931544809472

Here's another option:

Delete the game.

Use the PlayStation webstore to purchase the "free" SKU if you haven't already.

Then use the Download List option on the webstore to add it to your queue.

https://twitter.com/amboyes/status/559966577362075648

ZeroX03

Banned
Well shit. I pre-ordered it and got the timer glitch that prevents me from playing it now. So I deleted the game and tried re-downloading it but every time I try to do that it tells me if I'd like to go back to the playstaion store and download it WHICH IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO DO THIS WHOLE TIME. Argh!

Delete the game.

CompC

How are you guys already playing the game? Nobody else is having issues with either the pre-order timer or downloading it from PSN?

Yes lots of people had the problem.

Delete the preloaded game (select it on the menu and press Options)

Then use the web store on your computer or phone and look at your download list. You should be able to start the game downloading on your PS4 from that.

You might need to restore PSN licenses.

ZeroX03

Banned
Here are some comparisons between the two in-game filter options: "Remastered" & "Original". Remastered is on the left/first, Original on the right. If you're having trouble picking which one you like more, you can switch on the fly with R3.

Other PS4 graphical options are the ability to choose 4:3 with the borders (as picture), with pure black bars or 16:9 stretched. Please don't pick that last option.

uqttma.jpg
ipcjex.jpg

skoqgv.jpg
jwfbzd.jpg

juauwy.jpg
feemic.jpg

gtmeng.jpg
vqtwqb.jpg

taottu.jpg
xtdxht.jpg

cheesekao

Here are some comparisons between the two in-game filter options: "Remastered" & "Original". Remastered is on the left/first, Original on the right. If you're having trouble picking which one you like more, you can switch on the fly with R3.

Other PS4 graphical options are the ability to choose 4:3 with the borders (as picture), with pure black bars or 16:9 stretched. Please don't pick that last option.
Any idea what frame rate it runs on? I'm not really one who cares too much about high frame rate but I would be seriously surprised that a game this old doesn't run at 60.

Vita version is ... perfect? Not sure if it is cross-save tho.. Why is nobody talking about the Vita version?

Edit: Pretty sure I prefer the Original version graphics. The shading/lighting/contrast is off on the new textures.

gfxtwin

Delete the game.

I went to PSN via web and went to download it again. It said "Choose version". My options were "Download to PS4 and Download to PS4". I went with "Download to PS4". Didn't show up on my PS4.

So I went to my account to look at my download list. The closest thing to that I found was this, and there's still no option to download:

bjKi7yk.jpg

I went to PSN via web and went to download it again. It said "Choose version". My options were "Download to PS4 and Download to PS4". I went with "Download to PS4". Didn't show up on my PS4.

So I went to my account to look at my download list. The closest thing to that I found was this, and there's still no option to download:

bjKi7yk.jpg

In the drop down menu under your username on the main website, choose download list. You can download it from there

ZeroX03

Banned
Any idea what frame rate it runs on? I'm not really one who cares too much about high frame rate but I would be seriously surprised that a game this old doesn't run at 60.

60fps if I'm not mistaken but let me check.

Vita version is ... perfect? Not sure if it is cross-save tho.. Why is nobody talking about the Vita version?

Edit: Pretty sure I prefer the Original version graphics. The shading/lighting/contrast is off on the new textures.

Yes it is cross save. Just save your game normally and you'll notice 3 slots with cloud symbols on them that represent cloud saves obviously.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Thanks everyone who suggested downloading it from the web store, just finished downloading and it actually works!

My pre-load didn't work. I got the screen that said: "Cannot find the application. Do You want to look in PlayStation Store?" (couldn't share a screenshot)
IMG_0693.jpg

I said "Yes"

The same message popped up.

I went to Sony's website (Download List) and queued it to download. Now it is downloading just fine.

cheesekao

bjKi7yk.jpg
I believe you have to click the highlighted button [Download list] and download it from there..
Ap19s9w.png

My pre-load didn't work. I got the screen that said: "Cannot find the application. Do You want to look in PlayStation Store?" (couldn't share a screenshot)
IMG_0693.jpg

I said "Yes"

The same message popped up.

I went to Son'ys website (Download List) and queued it to download. Now it is downloading just fine.

Yeah, going to Sony's website is the best work around for this at the moment. Shame Sony is having these technically difficulties with it.

ZeroX03

Banned
People who want to remote play this game: it works great, everything is a face button except for run on the R button and toggle render mode is on the touch screen.

Just captured some 30fps footage and it's playing back choppier than the game itself, it's not that noticeable, but yes the game is 60fps. For those who remote play (aka forced 30fps) it won't be an issue, it feels smooth and nothing in the game requires timing.

That's your purchase history not your download list. Follow the pictures the other guys posted up, that's the right way to go.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Yeah, going to Sony's website is the best work around for this at the moment. Shame Sony is having these technically difficulties with it.

I pre-order most of my games digitally and this is the only time I've ever had problems. I'm not really mad. It's just something that I didn't see coming. I don't think anyone else saw it coming either.

I pre-order most of my games digitally and this is the only time I've ever had problems. I'm not really mad. It's just something that I didn't see coming. I don't think anyone else saw it coming either.

Yeah I've preloaded about 5 games off PSN and they were all flawless, unlocked exactly when they should have.

A shame this one got messed up so bad.

Okay, got it working after downloading through the web store. That was a whole bit of frustration I could have done without. Thanks, Sony!

Anyway, having never played it before, I'm having a blast so far. I'm only a couple scenes in, but it plays just like the old adventure games I remember. I opted for tank controls because I've used them often enough in the past, and hey, free trophy.

I'm pretty excited that Day of the Tentacle is getting this treatment as well.

gfxtwin

People who want to remote play this game: it works great, everything is a face button except for run on the R button and toggle render mode is on the touch screen.

Just captured some 30fps footage and it's playing back choppier than the game itself, it's not that noticeable, but yes the game is 60fps. For those who remote play (aka forced 30fps) it won't be an issue, it feels smooth and nothing in the game requires timing.

That's your purchase history not your download list. Follow the pictures the other guys posted up, that's the right way to go.

Re-downloading now! Hurrah! :D

Boem

Some early impressions (won't be able to play more until after the weekend, argh!): This is, quite frankly, heaven for me. I don't care about AAA-gaming, and but I care about adventure games. Lucasarts games were my life back in the 90s. Grim belongs near the top (Fate of Atlantis, and possibly Monkey 2 are the only things above Grim on my list - although I change opinion on that all the time).

This is perfect. I know some people are bummed they didn't remake the backgrounds, but they didn't need it. I actually like that they're staying as close as possible to the original. The new models and lighting looks GREAT. I'm switching to the old graphics in every scene, and it just makes me so happy. Commentary track is insightful and often funny. Unlockable concept art is a nice bonus, although I assume I've seen all of it over the years (although it would be great if they found some stuff that hasn't been seen by the fans yet).

The new controls are great as well. Just feels a lot more modern now. I tried all three options (playing on PC), and I prefer using the gamepad (camera relative) controls. Point & Click works I suppose, but I just like being able to walk Manny around myself. It fits the game. I'm not bothering with that tank controls achievement. I already did that back in the 90s.

I can't overstate how happy it makes me to be back in the world of Grim again, and have it looking so good. The fact that we're getting Day of the Tentacle as well (and probably Full Throttle, and hopefully more) is messing with my head.

I'm not the biggest fan of Escape From Monkey Island, but they could actually make that game look kinda good using this method. The art direction in Grim is a lot stronger (as is the writing and everything else), but I'd still pay for a remake of that game.

Denur

I'm stuck already

-_-
Great!

I remember having enjoyed the original game very much, but only some bits and pieces of the game itself. Playing this remastered version will be like a whole new experience. All that remains now, is waiting for it to show up in the EU PS store tomorrow.

Why would you remote play it? To save on install size?

Top Bottom