• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The LEGO Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
The Cuusoo Hayabusa looks great, and I'm really glad it's getting released outside of Japan. I finished the Shinkai 6500 not too long ago:

IMG_0474.jpg

How much did you pay for this? I remember looking into it a while back and it was expensive as sin...

Got The Black Pearl today for $80. Also grabbed the Star Wars V-Wing since its $15 at Target.

This is on top of buying Star Wars Figures as well. Dear me!

Speaking of Star Wars (but non Lego related), I have almost all the figures from the first few years of The Power of the Force line. Pretty much everything, still on card and usually the rare variants), up until Phantom Menace came out. Anyone have any tips on how to unload them quickly and get a somewhat fair price for them? Anyone here interested?

They have been in storage for years, and I also need to feed my Lego addiction.

Speaking of Star Wars (but non Lego related), I have almost all the figures from the first few years of The Power of the Force line. Pretty much everything, still on card and usually the rare variants), up until Phantom Menace came out. Anyone have any tips on how to unload them quickly and get a somewhat fair price for them? Anyone here interested?

They have been in storage for years, and I also need to feed my Lego addiction.

You can try eBay, but so many of those characters have been resculpted and have better versions out there that that old line just doesn't go for much these days. Maybe $4-12 per figure depending on who it is. It's still money for Lego.

Sqorgar

Banned
Returned from LEGO Land Florida. The kids loved it, as did we. It's kind of a park for kids who aren't teenagers yet, so the rollercoasters are fun, but not threatening. It was fairly empty, so we could walk onto any ride we wanted and rode pretty much everything multiple times. Mini Land was amazing, but the kids weren't impressed. The stores in the park were not that impressive - the Downtown Disney LEGO store was actually larger and had a better selection (from which I walked away with the Fire Brigade). We ended up liking it more than Disney, largely due to it being perfect for a 6 year old and a 3 year old who were over 40 inches tall.

The LEGO store also had a Death Star set up and it is so much more impressive in person than it looks in the pictures. I caved and ordered one from Amazon. It's expensive as all hell, and I'm basically going to be unable to buy any more LEGOs or video games for four months, but I decided that if the set went out of production and I missed it, I'd be kicking myself for the rest of my life.

Vyer

Do most of the big Star Wars ships come with stands? Is there like a 'cutoff' where you know you won't have one? Or are they just listed in a parts list on the side of the box?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Do most of the big Star Wars ships come with stands? Is there like a 'cutoff' where you know you won't have one? Or are they just listed in a parts list on the side of the box?

As stated above, only the UCS ones tend to come with them. Most the stands are very basic technic-esque builds, very easy to make on your own.

As stated above, only the UCS ones tend to come with them. Most the stands are very basic technic-esque builds, very easy to make on your own.

Yup. But sadly, only the UCS are designed to work with a stand (the recessed area for the stand to go in).

I have been trying to devise a series of stands for the X-Wing and TIE Fighter that keep the ships at an angle. I want to make it look like they are flying instead of just sitting there.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Yup. But sadly, only the UCS are designed to work with a stand (the recessed area for the stand to go in).

I have been trying to devise a series of stands for the X-Wing and TIE Fighter that keep the ships at an angle. I want to make it look like they are flying instead of just sitting there.

I dont mind them straight and level.

Death Star run!

I dont mind them straight and level.

Death Star run!

If I had them both on the same shelf, I would say it is that. But they are flanking the TV.

However I have been knocking around ideas in my head today for building a small scale Emperor's throne room for Vader and Luke mini figures to fight in.

went and played around in the Lego digital designer. decided to make one of those cars from the lost world.

id say it looks OK, not great, i think im gonna try to make that awesome double camper van next.

and, crappy photo incoming

finished the slave 1. i really love this set. i think its my 3rd favorite. behind the original At-At and the Hoth Mellenium falcon.

Deefuzz

The Cuusoo Hayabusa looks great, and I'm really glad it's getting released outside of Japan. I finished the Shinkai 6500 not too long ago:

IMG_0474.jpg

That set is gorgeous. I really want it. Sucks they never made it available outside of Japan, now I have to find a way to get it on the secondary market.

Megasoum

Banned
Ughhh I really gotta stop to follow that thread... I love LEGO but that shit is just too expensive!

I used to have the original UCS Star Destroyer set (10030) but I sold it last year.

Imp shuttle almost done, looking great and really surprised how big its turning out. Must say the building of the wings is really monotonous.

ghostmind

Picked up the April calendar while at the LEGO store today. Promo is a free mini TIE Fighter with a $50 Star Wars purchase from April 1 - 15, buy 2 Hero Factory sets and get 50% off the third, get a large pick-a-brick cup for the price of a small on April 10-11.

I sorted my Death Star for build tomorrow...

I think I may need to amend my "mix everything" rule for 4,000 piece sets....

Any words of encouragement Will?
I honestly don't know how anyone could build like that, hunting for pieces is so monotonous and turns a fun project into a nightmare. SORT THAT SHIT.

Shiv47

I was going through images on my computer looking for something when I found I had still had pictures of the Lego Eiffel Tower I had built (and since sold). Kind of boring to put together, I thought, but it looked pretty good.

IMG_0360-1.jpg

Why would you do that, the bags are numbered for you and everything, its already hard enough to dig through the couple of bags for that one small piece you need and now you have a bucket full?! Good luck with that.

Hey fellas, this thread made me want to find all my childhood legos at my parent's house. I found a few of my old castle sets still on the shelves, but they are incredibly dusty. What's the best way to get these pieces fresh and clean again so that I can rebuild them??

Hide all sharp objects before building. You are nuts for mixing it all with a huge build like that. I still subscribe to the one pile per bag and no further sorting.

I just input all the sets I knew I owned and ones I could still find instructions to but forgot I owned into Brickset. While it is cheating because I know many of the sets are missing, but it says my collection is now at about 15000 bricks. What is scary about that? The fact that about 4500 or so of those were only in the last month with all the Star Wars sets I bought.

Hey fellas, this thread made me want to find all my childhood legos at my parent's house. I found a few of my old castle sets still on the shelves, but they are incredibly dusty. What's the best way to get these pieces fresh and clean again so that I can rebuild them??

Wash them with warm soapy water.

I wish I was better at doing MOCs. It would help if I had actual LEGO pieces to do them with instead of using the LEGO Digital Designer, but I always run into roadblocks that I can never seem to design around.

I think I'll just wait and hope that LEGO releases another Mini-modular set with the next 4-5 modular buildings in it. Either that or wait until someone makes a MOC for the Pet Shop and Town Hall AND releases their part list for it, but nobody seems to do that for their MOCs. :(

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So, progress on the Death Star Death Build.

two hours and I completed the bottom level, and the floor for the 2nd level, or according to the instructions, box 1 bags 1. I did so some minimal sorting, and by minimal I mean take out all the big plate pieces. Went pretty well, pieces were easy to find, only two pieces at the end of this stage caused me to do a lot of searching.

I have just about all day tomorrow to build, so It will be interesting to see how far I get.

You'll have to give a review afterwards and compare it to the SSD build. I want both but I'm thinking I should get the Death Star first because it's an older set.

Milamber

In just one week I went from minifig series to 4 sets of Creator 3 in 1's to now a just ordered LEGO Grand Emporium. GAF has ruined me.

Also, where can one get a Green Grocer without its inflated price.

Hrmm.

Was building Town Hall's first story, and found something out: I was missing a 1x8 Dark Gray block. I searched the bags, my build space, and the area around my build space thoroughly. I check the bags, the box, and the bags from the store itself. Nothing.

How frustrating. Will give Lego a call tomorrow. Thankfully its at the top of the building, and I completed the rest of the first floor (surprisingly strong!), but I am annoyed none the less.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I honestly don't know how anyone could build like that, hunting for pieces is so monotonous and turns a fun project into a nightmare. SORT THAT SHIT.

I honestly can't imagine how anyone would have _more_ fun by keeping things sorted. Hunting for the right pieces you need for the next step is 80% of the fun :(

I honestly can't imagine how anyone would have _more_ fun by keeping things sorted. Hunting for the right pieces you need for the next step is 80% of the fun :(

My fun comes from seeing the model come together and being surprised at how certain things are achieved in the build. Hunting for the piece has a certain level of fun, but with certain size sets it is more of a chore than a pleasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom