• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Sony Gamers Day 2007 Thread [HOLY F**KING SH*T)

JB1981

Kittonwy said:
Thanks!!! I'm enjoying teh Uncharted trailer via my PS3 right now!!!111!!!
gladtomeetya.gif
did you download these directly to your ps3 or did you save them to a usb stick or card reader first? I'm trying to download them directly to the ps3 but it doesn't seem to work. Am I doing something wrong?

Kittonwy

Banned
JB1981 said:
did you download these directly to your ps3 or did you save them to a usb stick or card reader first? I'm trying to download them directly to the ps3 but it doesn't seem to work. Am I doing something wrong?

I used a memory stick.
Indifferent2.gif

ok I haven't read the whole thread here, but surely some of you notice the lack of cloth movement in the actual gameplay videos of Uncharted right? If they could put that back in, at least on the main character, I'd crap my pants.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
MidgarBlowedUp said:
ok I haven't read the whole thread here, but surely some of you notice the lack of cloth movement in the actual gameplay videos of Uncharted right? If they could put that back in, at least on the main character, I'd crap my pants.

Check out the uncharted thread found here
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156568
There you will find some nice gifs and images displaying exactly the animations your saying arent there.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6466994&postcount=870
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6467086&postcount=874

Also a few pages back Bouc_emmisaire(sorry spelling) did some comparisons as well.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6457723&postcount=4491

captive said:
Check out the uncharted thread found here
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156568
There you will find some nice gifs and images displaying exactly the animations your saying arent there.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6466994&postcount=870
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6467086&postcount=874

Also a few pages back Bouc_emmisaire(sorry spelling) did some comparisons as well.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6457723&postcount=4491

Thank you so much captive. :)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I presume the technique used is a blend of normal maps based on bone movement. For example, two versions of the shirt's normal map texture are made. One with lots of folds in various areas based on the likeliest areas they would form, and one with the default normal map for the default stance, with very few folds other than at the end of the shirt. The blending might be done per-vertex, based on how much the bones move from their default stance.

That's my guess anyway, something I wanted to try for some time but I'm no character modeler:p If it's more complex than that then I think it's overkill;)

Kittonwy

Banned
JB1981 said:
can you respond to my post plz? :)

you playing resistance at all? i was gonna hop on if you guys were.

I played for a couple of hours tonight. I don't know if they're still on, but we had a good crowd tonight, right before I left there were like 13 people.

I don't use the PS3 to surf the web so I don't know about downloading directly to the PS3, sorry.
Indifferent2.gif

Norml

JB1981 said:

I saved to my PC, then used RedKawa to send them to my PS3:)

It really is a clean vid also, thanks!

JB1981 said:
As I mentioned earlier I had to save them to a memory stick via my PS3 and then copy them over to my PS3 HDD. So you aren't doing anything wrong, I guess it's the way the site handles it for some reason. For example, I can download .mp4 content straight to my PS3 off of any other website I've tried before.

blindrocket said:
As I mentioned earlier I had to save them to a memory stick via my PS3 and then copy them over to my PS3 HDD. So you aren't doing anything wrong, I guess it's the way the site handles it for some reason. For example, I can download .mp4 content straight to my PS3 off of any other website I've tried before.

I think you have to set the mime type of the videos correctly in order to direct-download to the harddrive.

Kittonwy

Banned
I do have a couple of complaints though, in terms of Heavenly Sword, they still have not adequately explained how the combo system works, what the player will do outside of combat, and the QTE button flash seems kind of confusing when compared to something straight-forward like God of War 1/2. It's great Nina and Tameem kept blabbing on about Andy Serkis and Weta, personally I don't give a rat's buttocks about it, but we're still dealing with a game here. For some reason the art of gameplay explanation aka "when you press x the character does this" is somewhat of a lost art nowadays, I really don't want to be making guesses on the controls of a game. It's weird when the button map is the first thing being shown in a playable demo and the person in charge of demonstrating the game and most of the media just don't talk about something as important as exact controls when this is the way the player interacts with the game.
Indifferent2.gif

deepbrown

Kittonwy said:
I do have a couple of complaints though, in terms of Heavenly Sword, they still have not adequately explained how the combo system works, what the player will do outside of combat, and the QTE button flash seems kind of confusing when compared to something straight-forward like God of War 1/2. It's great Nina and Tameem kept blabbing on about Andy Serkis and Weta, personally I don't give a rat's buttocks about it, but we're still dealing with a game here. For some reason the art of gameplay explanation aka "when you press x the character does this" is somewhat of a lost art nowadays, I really don't want to be making guesses on the controls of a game. It's weird when the button map is the first thing being shown in a playable demo and the person in charge of demonstrating the game and most of the media just don't talk about something as important as exact controls when this is the way the player interacts with the game.
Indifferent2.gif

Well if you do some research you can find out...and find the button layout. But also...you find this out when you play the game don't ya

Kittonwy

Banned
deepbrown said:
Well if you do some research you can find out...and find the button layout. But also...you find this out when you play the game don't ya

That's my point, I'm not at Sony's Gamers Day, I can't play the game, so when I'm watching the video I have no idea what's going on exactly when it comes to the controls, the controls is one of the most important things and they need to explain it instead of having people do research just to find out, Andy Serkis and Weta involved in 6 days of animation filming in contrast isn't as important as how the game is played.

gbovo

Kittonwy said:
That's my point, I'm not at Sony's Gamers Day, I can't play the game, so when I'm watching the video I have no idea what's going on exactly when it comes to the controls, the controls is one of the most important things and they need to explain it instead of having people do research just to find out, Andy Serkis and Weta involved in 6 days of animation filming in contrast isn't as important as how the game is played.
Can't the same be said about almost all the games that are shown off at games shows? Barring sequels to games that people are already familiar with, every game you see at a game show and aren't opportuned to play , you can't tell what the controls are. So why not just wait until a demo comes out? That seems pretty logical doesn't it?

Busty

Banned
BuddyC said:
I will hurt you.

Zen said:
I said nothing. Nothing at all. Certainly now what BuddyC just quoted me as saying.

Please. I would rather such things be said on the respective console specific forums than constantly going back and forth on here with endless Gears Of War and Uncharted comparison threads. If you think either party would ever concede that the other is right or even agree to disagree then you truly are off your 'nut'.

But despite all this, the final Killzone unveiling at E3 will be a thread
Warzone
of unprecedented chaos, and it's just two short months away. And even though it is two months away, I can't help but feel dread at the prospect of coming here for some solid discussion and having to try and navigate through all the 'politics'. It'll be like wading waist deep through toffee, and even if the game does end up looking like that trailer that's just going to make things even uglier.

But, I suppose that's just the nature of the beast.

gbovo

Busty said:
Please. I would rather such things be said on the respective console specific forums than constantly going back and forth on here with endless Gears Of War and Uncharted comparison threads. If you think either party would ever concede that the other is right or even agree to disagree then you truly are off your 'nut'.

But despite all this, the final Killzone unveiling at E3 will be a thread
Warzone
of unprecedented chaos, and it's just two short months away. And even though it is two months away, I can't help but feel dread at the prospect of coming here for some solid discussion and having to try and navigate through all the 'politics'. It'll be like wading waist deep through toffee, and even if the game does end up looking like that trailer that's just going to make things even uglier.

But, I suppose that's just the nature of the beast.
Booooy am I looking forward to the Killzone unveiling. you'll be seeing gif's on Gaf that you've never seen b4. Anyway the game turns out, the internets will implode

28854d2cde7c8e7900993023cf136a22.th.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
gbovo said:
Can't the same be said about almost all the games that are shown off at games shows? Barring sequels to games that people are already familiar with, every game you see at a game show and aren't opportuned to play , you can't tell what the controls are. So why not just wait until a demo comes out? That seems pretty logical doesn't it?

Yes obviously, but with something like Uncharted, R&C or Lair, the gameplay is easier to understand because they're not combo-based, and when the depth of the combat is an important factor in the quality of the title and at the moment still a bit of an unknown, knowing the mechanics would help in instilling confidence in the title. Clearly I would love to see a demo from them beforehand, but it would still benefit the game to have people become more familiar with the game mechanics even before a public demo becomes available.
Indifferent2.gif

jiggle

Is there a HD or direct feed version of the Folklore trailer available? Not the ones with ppl playing it, but the cinematic trailer...

gbovo

Kittonwy said:
Yes obviously, but with something like Uncharted, R&C or Lair, the gameplay is easier to understand because they're not combo-based, and when the depth of the combat is an important factor in the quality of the title and at the moment still a bit of an unknown, knowing the mechanics would help in instilling confidence in the title. Clearly I would love to see a demo from them beforehand, but it would still benefit the game to have people become more familiar with the game mechanics even before a public demo becomes available.
Indifferent2.gif
A public demo of any game will always be a better illustrative of a game's play mechanics than any descriptives the game designers can ever give.

Raist

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
Lair really is butt ugly. Tech is impressive as hell and it has its moment of awe and beauty, but generally it's a mess.

Well Lair gets no love with videos. We have yet to see 720p direct feed footage :/

AFAIK we only got crappy offscreen vidz or badly compressed videos.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Lair really is butt ugly. Tech is impressive as hell and it has its moment of awe and beauty, but generally it's a mess.

it just doesnt hold up in vids...the game proper is super clean in general

vpance

Lair seems like it'll be too easy, especially those ground battles. Have some archers shoot back at the dragon or soldiers try to rope it or something at least.

vpance said:
Lair seems like it'll be too easy, especially those ground battles. Have some archers shoot back at the dragon or soldiers try to rope it or something at least.
Killing might be easy, completing the objectives is gonna be the hard part. Many of the gameplay movies from Gamers Day show them actually losing the game :p

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
The thing that bugs me about most of the Lair footage is that the player in control does nothing but mash the firebreath button. We know you can do more than that, like swoop and grab ground enemies and toss them around. Use a little more imagination when you've got 2000 enemy troops too kill...grab a catapult and drop their own siege weapons on them.

Souther

Banned
That Eye of Judgement game looks pretty awesome..

And i am not even a fan of card games. But i gotta admit it looks pretty damn awesome.

Kittonwy

Banned
kaching said:
The thing that bugs me about most of the Lair footage is that the player in control does nothing but mash the firebreath button. We know you can do more than that, like swoop and grab ground enemies and toss them around. Use a little more imagination when you've got 2000 enemy troops too kill...grab a catapult and drop their own siege weapons on them.

It's frustrating when the person holding the controller doesn't know what he's doing.

deepbrown

kaching said:

Yup it pissed me right off! Grr.

At moments Lair looks beautiful IMO.
lairwat.gif

cellowned.gif

KTallguy

Banned
Lair's a game that suffers from that though. I'm sure it's not that hard to play, but you can't pick it up and immediately do something extremely cool. Which is kind of a flaw.

You notice when people start playing, they forget that the analog stick is the view, and they try moving it around first to move the dragon :lol it happens every time.

Kittonwy

Banned
KTallguy said:
Lair's a game that suffers from that though. I'm sure it's not that hard to play, but you can't pick it up and immediately do something extremely cool. Which is kind of a flaw.

You notice when people start playing, they forget that the analog stick is the view, and they try moving it around first to move the dragon :lol it happens every time.

Just finished watching the second gameplay video, it's incredibly frustrating to watch someone who just has absolutely no clue on what he's supposed to do, all he does is jam on the fire button over and over.
Indifferent2.gif

KTallguy

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Just finished watching the second gameplay video, it's incredibly frustrating to watch someone who just has absolutely no clue on what he's supposed to do, all he does is jam on the fire button over and over.
Indifferent2.gif

Indifferent2.gif

Oh and I just saw the Folklore Japanese trailer on Gametrailers. Wow, I'm actually really interested in the game now. I thought it looked cool, but I wasn't really sold, now I'm seriously considering buying it. I can't wait for the demo.

JCBossman said:
Is it just me or does "folklore" look suspiciously like an HD Fable?

It looks nothing like Fable. Although considering your boxed frame of reference when it comes to just about everything else, I guess I could see why you would think so.

rc213

hyp said:
[IMGhttp://fp.scea.com///Content/Movies/15475/Images/1/image.jpg[/IMG]
200px-Tera_Patrick.jpg

did they model the heavenly sword chick off tera patrick?

Maybe we can get a Tera Patrick movie in HD along with the game like Stranglehold! Super Sticky Special Edition! :D

Top Bottom