• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Player's that don't use mics in MP centric games ruin them

Piers

I already turn off/ignore text chat in games -- heaven forbid voice.
Can understand how it sucks for players who just want to communicate advice, sit reps and so on. I'm not helping there.

Sadly neither are the amount of toxic people who scare me off chat.

Gestault

Counterpoint: players that DO use mics in MP-centric games ruin them.

It is not worth my time or energy to deal with people being abusive on mic. This is why I don't play multiplayer games very often anymore, and this is why I abhor the industry trend towards online play as the primary mode of play. Hell is other people, especially in competitive games.

This is precisely why co-op among personal, real-world friends is one of my main venues for online play.

jviggy43

If someone doesn't speak english whose problem is? I think we must understand that multiplayer around the world has this issue, but I'm ok with it.

Ok like the person who brought up mute players, I very obviously am not talking about players who have a language barrier. Like why would anyone assume I was targeting people with obvious barriers? Thats silly.

Kthulhu

Honestly I do not mind THAT much if you don't talk but dammit at least listen to your teammates in ranked/competitive. I've had countless times in R6:Siege and other games where our whole team is telling the last man standing key call-outs but the guy doesn't hear us at all and gets killed in the stupidest ways. Good callouts win games.

Those complaining about obnoxious people: I don't understand why you just can't use the mute button. I guess it's due to sheer laziness.

Then there's no one to talk to.

No excuse is even necessary. No one 'owes' it to anyone else to use a mic, it's ridiculous. You probably have a better chance asking Blizzard to make a 'mics only' playlist.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The past few times I've played Overwatch, I haven't bothered putting on a headset. I know my job on the team, and I did it without fail. I guess I'm still part of the problem, but most people don't seem to bother talking anyways so why bother?

Mesoian

If not using a mic is an assholes to you, then you've got a very loose definition of asshole.

Nowhere in this thread did I say that not using a mic makes you an asshole. If anything I've said the opposite. I said people who are actively being jerks online through voice chat is a well known, well documented problem and those people are the ones ruining it for everyone, and I'd rather not use voice chat than deal with those types of people.

And that's not going to change. That's by choice. Not everyone plays for the same reason you do, nor should they. People create clans or play specific games with smaller communities for this reason.

Until there's a guarantee the voice chat situation is a good experience for all individuals involved, things aren't going to change.

Just accept people have their reasons for playing how they want to play and it's on *you* to deal with it, not on anyone else to change. This is how the world works and life is a lot less stressful when you're the one who does the adapting rather than getting angry the rest of the world isn't adapting to you.

Exactly. Which is why I find it laughable that people have an issue with the fact that I'd rather leave the voice channel than deal with their clownshoes behavior.

jviggy43

Counterpoint: players that DO use mics in MP-centric games ruin them.

It is not worth my time or energy to deal with people being abusive on mic. This is why I don't play multiplayer games very often anymore, and this is why I abhor the industry trend towards online play as the primary mode of play. Hell is other people, especially in competitive games.

Eh, we can go back and forth on this all day long but theres a reason why the best players in any MP team competitive game are constantly yelling things out and communicating, because its absolutely super beneficial for success.

I do not expect that from randoms what so ever and I do not think that communication will make it so you win all the time. What I am saying is, communication is an obvious benefit for success in competitive MP games when its working. I understand people are toxic and can be detrimental to a team's success, but theres no denying that talking and planning with your team benefits your odds of winning.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
During the early years of XBL, I kept my Mic on all the time, and tried to speak to and back at everyone. EVERYONE. Those guys who'd insult you in Mech Assault... the people who'd ask for help on DOA Ultimate... eesh.

Now-a-days... no. Blame the way that "everyone" online is a swear-spewing, insult-laden, anonymity-is-power type. Or the fact that playing drunk or high seems to be a preferred method to playing games for a large amount of the audience.

In modern games, I'll let my gameplay, and others reactions to it, be my screening process. If someone messages after a few rounds, and honestly wants to start a group or such, then yeah, maybe.

You can say a lot through gameplay itself. I've had better teamwork with certain randoms in an OW by never speaking to them, than I have with some friends I've known and speak to for years. Teamwork starts from observation and reaction, no spouting off words.

If anything, I think the "ease" of universal talk options makes devs forego in-game / universe communication options, which is a shame.

One of the reasons I loved PSO was how it had an army of quick-to-access text terms that would be automatically translated into the language of other players. You could even set up your own macros beforehand, using words from a list, and it's translate the stuff for you.

The closest stuff I see to this now-a-days is the team character voice chat in SMITE. In their case, I'd actually say having the in-game characters voicing out your desires and such increases the game immersion, much more than hearing someone player's voice say it.

PSqueak

Banned
Blame people who scream toxic, racist and misogynistic shit at their mics for making people not want use a mic.

So, before you can fix the problem of people not wanting to use the mic, fix the problem of people misusing the mic.

Wish I could but, at least on consoles, the player atmosphere is just far too toxic. Young children screaming at "hackers" is just not my idea of a good time. Sometimes it is funny to listen to though :)

AudioEppa

i agree OP.

Yeah it could get super annoying, but you know what? MP was a lot funnier then, compared to now. Now it's luck to be in a game that doesn't feel dead.

I think party chat is boring. That's all my friends list wants to use and I stay away. I understand some people are hurt by the things others say. It's not ok to feel that way when trying to have fun. I just don't let shit get to me. I say nothing or talk shit back or do something in game to piss them off more lol

I feel like people who play OW should know what to do with or without a mic. I dont feel like communicating would solve anything. Its common sense to wait for your group to attack together rather than people just going in alone or in pairs. This is what makes this game so frustrating. You cant carry a team with one or two people like in a game like uncharted or tlou.

However in Friday 13th this is frustrating because u have no way of knowing what your teammates have. There should be an in gsme option somehow to see what others have. Or like in game promts for communicating or something. Not everybody wants to use mic with randoms. A simple "got car key/fuse/battery/gas" command as a question or statement would be nice.

jviggy43

The past few times I've played Overwatch, I haven't bothered putting on a headset. I know my job on the team, and I did it without fail. I guess I'm still part of the problem, but most people don't seem to bother talking anyways so why bother?

Ive seen this used a few times and yes, YOU may know what youre doing but neither you nor your teammates are mind readers. I have no idea whats going on in your head, when you plan to ult, whether or not you see a sombra flanking, why youre out of position, etc... Knowing all of that would invariably be more helpful then wondering why our soldier just took off somewhere.

I feel like people who play OW should know what to do with or without a mic. I dont feel like communicating would solve anything. Its common sense to wait for your group to attack together rather than people just going in alone or in pairs. This is what makes this game so frustrating. You cant carry a team with one or two people like in a game like uncharted or tlou.

However in Friday 13th this is frustrating because u have no way of knowing what your teammates have. There should be an in gsme option somehow to see what others have. Or like in game promts for communicating or something. Not everybody wants to use mic with randoms. A simple "got car key/fuse/battery/gas" command as a question or statement would be nice.

See above. I assure you just because you know how to play the character youve selected in OW in no way means communication is pointless.

Eh, we can go back and forth on this all day long but theres a reason why the best players in any MP team competitive game are constantly yelling things out and communicating, because its absolutely super beneficial for success.

I do not expect that from randoms what so ever and I do not think that communication will make it so you win all the time. What I am saying is, communication is an obvious benefit for success in competitive MP games when its working. I understand people are toxic and can be detrimental to a team's success, but theres no denying that talking and planning with your team benefits your odds of winning.

I totally agree, and if your main priority is to be the best that ever was (or just very good), I totally understand why you'd want to be on voice comms. But chances are you're NOT playing with randoms at that point.

My priority, on the other hand, is to have fun playing a game I enjoy and not feel shitty about myself because someone thinks I deserve to be chewed out for not being as good as they would have been in the same role. The only way to guarantee this is to shut off all voice comms or to not play at all. By and large, I've taken the second option, but I think the first option is equally valid.

Tawpgun

Honestly I really miss the days before party chat.

There were entire games based around the fact that you can't communicate when dead or out of range (chromehounds, original gears of war)

And more people would be on gamechat. I get the reasoning for being in your own party, people CAN be annoying. But I always felt the solution should have been easier ways to mute those people instead of locking yourself out.

It sucks when playing in a ranked, competetive game that is very teamwork oriented like Overwatch or Rainbow 6 and not being able to talk. I've even played Destiny raids with people with no mics which is awful.

and with my most anticipated game being Sea of Thieves... it worries me.

Fafnir

Played OW from Silver to Diamond and voice chat was only useful 2-3 times. The rest of the time it caused losses before we even left spawn. Hearing some whiny kid, "are we throwing or are we winning...oh I guess we throwing" (he didn't like someone's off meta pick) or having to listen to pre-pubes squaking or college kids bullying pre-pubes or some fool not saying anything until the end of the loss to wish everyone kys was too annoying. At the end of my OW playing I just left vc off, even in comp, and it was a lot more fun not having to listen to idiots.

Beartruck

OP, i'm saying this as nicely as possible: When it comes to playing a game online, I never want to hear a single thing you have to say. Never. You might be a legitimately helpful person, but for every 1 of you, there's 10 clearly stoned losers talking about how their professor is a total bitch. I'm tired of rolling the dice.

jviggy43

I totally agree, and if your main priority is to be the best that ever was (or just very good), I totally understand why you'd want to be on voice comms. But chances are you're NOT playing with randoms at that point.

My priority, on the other hand, is to have fun playing a game I enjoy and not feel shitty about myself because someone thinks I deserve to be chewed out for not being as good as they would have been in the same role. The only way to guarantee this is to shut off all voice comms or to not play at all. By and large, I've taken the second option, but I think the first option is equally valid.

Thats true but the mute function shuts anyone up immediately and also permits you to keep communication with people who are just trying to help. Also I was more or less meaning comp, obviously if youre just playing for fun by all means I don't think anyone minds the lack of communication. I see your point about it as well, and if people don't even want to hear even a little bit of negativity, I get just muting everyone. That just also means shutting out a lot of people who could be helpful to the team's success, including yourself.

blakep267

It's a mix for me. Sometimes people are wayyyy too chatty. I've started to notice it more and more in overwatch. When people are barking out obvious orders and never stop complaining.

Dsyndrome

If I don't know you, I don't want to hear you. If mic's are considered as required with randoms, I'll play something else SP or MP with folks I know.

Ferrio

Banned
How I determine if I'm going to use the mic:

Hosted server with a community of regulars: Yes
Playing with a group of friends: Yes
Random matchmaking with 15 year old asshats: No

The move from community hosted servers to matchmaking really was the nail in the coffin for voice chat for me.

Chesskid1

Banned

really?

there's tons of crucial information that needs to be shared in overwatch ASAP, such as an enemy flanking you and being behind a teammate, where a teleporter/shield generator is, if an enemy will die to one hit so people should dive/target him, coordinating ultimates to combo them, calling out healing, etc

you are basically at a huge disadvantage if your team doesn't communicate.

Danneee

Players that use mics in multiplayer games ruin them.

I don't want to listen to you yelling at your mom about your homework, whatever shitty music you're listening too, whatever racial slurs you learned on the playground today or whatever random nonsense you feel like talking about today.

Also the people who feel the need to bark "helpful" information can also fuck off. "Enemy on the left!". Left of what you stupid ponce. Just shut up.

Completely agree. I've totally given up on playing anything that needs communication between players.

How often does this happen? I swear my experience with certain games has been incredibly successful, even when Ive sucked. Rainbow 6 Siege and even Overwatch on PS4 has been mostly friendly towards me.

Maybe its worse on PC where text chat is a thing. I have heard the vilest shit on COD.

In fact, I recorded a convo once of a 20 something year old man berating a child... and then the child's dad got on and it turned into a huge racist thing. I couldn't believe it.

I know its different with women and children, especially women... I think every woman Ive heard in Overwatch was in a premade group of friends.

That said, I really have only experienced terrible stuff a handful of times in my 600 hours in Rainbow 6. I swear the community is amicable on average... but Ive never once heard a woman on mic in that game

Spman2099

There are games where it is completely necessary. Friday the 13th is an excellent example of that. The game is balanced around the players communicating with each other. The first three minutes or so will (when Jason is generating powers) dictate how many players will survive the match. People need to spread out, locate parts, and cobble a basic strategy together. I played as Jason in a match where no one had a mic. I completely wiped them out. Not using mics completely destroy's the game's balance.

If you are playing a game that is focused on communication without a mic then you are unquestionably doing it wrong.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I've played everything from Lost Planet 2 to Splatoon with no voicechat, and I couldn't have been happier.

Yeah, I really what to hear the inner thoughts of douche bags that think winning a match of Overwatch or Battlefield is some kind of crucial achievement in life.

If you want communication and call outs, go find a group to play with. Whining about people not talking in game chat is dumb and pointless.

I'm sorry, but people being obnoxious is often the best case scenario for voice chat. Worst case, I have to listen to someone play music over their mic, or worst-worst case, hurl a bunch of sexist, bigoted, racist BS for no apparent reason.

Sorry, but I'm not going to endure that even if I could play more strategically if I did. Could I mute people? Sure, but then I'd have to listen and make those calls on the fly. I'm going to just bypass the whole mess instead.

Shifty

Absolutely. I would never dream of gaming sans-mic with my discord group.

Fuck pubbies though, good lord. You expect me to sit and listen to some chump playing bad music and cussing me out down the mic?

rockyt

I do not like talking on the mic majority of the time because I do not like getting into a conversation about stupid stuff like what they had for dinner, their day is going, and the usual obnoxious conversation with man-babies. It gets so annoying most of the time I just turn the mic off almost all the time.

I put almost everyone on ignore and it becomes silent that I just turn it off. Cant stand to hear all the stupid stuff that is being said.

Kthulhu

i agree OP.

Yeah it could get super annoying, but you know what? MP was a lot funnier then, compared to now. Now it's luck to be in a game that doesn't feel dead.

I think party chat is boring. That's all my friends list wants to use and I stay away. I understand some people are hurt by the things others say. It's not ok to feel that way when trying to have fun. I just don't let shit get to me. I say nothing or talk shit back or do something in game to piss them off more lol

I'd rather not year some 12 year old call me a faggot online when I've just got home from my 9 to 5.

Top Bottom