• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Player's that don't use mics in MP centric games ruin them

Chris R

I'll start using a mic in Dota2 when I hit 1000 matches :p

Nah, I need to start soon since I'm actually going to T R Y H A R D

fresquito

Guys.

Every match is not filled with 10 year olds throwing a fit, yeesh.

If you don't want to use a mic then just say so without making up a strawman.

A good 80% of the comp games in Overwatch I get into on a mic is totally friendly and fine. When a get into one where people are being rude I mute them and stop using the mic. Doesn't mean I'm going to quit entirely.
One thing I recommend to do to people that play online games is being friednly and communicating in a positive way. Your regular player is not a raging children with ego problems. Your regular player is a normal human being that doesn't talk because too many horror stories of that raging child. When you actually communicate and talk well and try help your team mates, more often than not, even when things go south, people will behave and have a good time. And if that raging child appears, just use the mute function.

I thought people blasting music and being verbally abusive over their microphones was ruining multiplayer games. Microphones make online games better with the right players, but that rarely ever happens in public matches.

Previous experience with voice chat in public games leads many to not even bother. Is it a shame? yeah, but it's also understandable.

If you want to play at a high level you should absolutely play with a community or clan instead of playing pickup matches and expecting people to communicate like they're not a bunch of strangers that met like 1m ago.

Most people do this.

You can't always get a full team together though. I usually have about 4 people grouped when I play Overwatch, for example.

The times when the other two people communicate with us go a lot better than the times they don't, on average. Without a doubt.

Kurdel

Banned
I have never worn a mic, and always mute others.

I am playing a game to have fun, not to talk to strangers with the hope of performing better.

Mohasus

See this is exactly what I'm saying. If it isn't working, mute them and youre fine and back to square one for all you anti social people out there. If it is, then youve just helped your chances of success.

It isn't back to square one. Now I had to hear some shit and my mood changed.

In my experience, the number of times someone used the mic to be rude is way way higher than the number of times someone said something useful, so I just mute everyone by default.

Gnilres

Even if I do use the mic, I'm going to play however I want to so someone barking orders at me isn't going to add anything. And if I'm ruining their game so be it.

I play to have a good time, why would I sacrifice my enjoyment for someone elses?

daffy

Banned
I always have mine on but on occasion I mute myself when there is someone talking way too much and not really saying anything useful. Sometimes they'll try to push me into talking by harassing me and that really just proves why I don't participate.

So I keep it on and if I notice positive chat I'll join in

Gestault

"Hey man, you sound pretty cool. I'm the leader, so do what I say. Here's my treatise on why unemployment makes the blacks lazy. I think the KKK gets a bad rap these days, and also don't you hate feminists? I'm gonna add you as a friend."

Ah. [BLOCKED]

One thing I recommend to do to people that play online games is being friednly and communicating in a positive way. Your regular player is not a raging children with ego problems. Your regular player is a normal human being that doesn't talk because too many horror stories of that raging child. When you actually communicate and talk well and try help your team mates, more often than not, even when things go south, people will behave and have a good time. And if that raging child appears, just use the mute function.
This is true enough, some of the time.

So I might go into a match with a mic, but never speak. If I hear somebody reasonable I'll start to chime in.

But I swear, every time I've done that I get some horror story in the next match. Blasting music, loud TV in the background, some kid singing, some loud back and forth conversation in the background, and of course people just slinging shit for kicks.

And rather than deal with muting I just create a party with just me in it. Instamute across all games.

About the only competitive online game I play anymore is Overwatch, and even if people don't understand teamwork, mics are extremely useful for calling out enemy locations, health status, and doing some really basic coordination. It removes a layer of ambiguity from the situation - even people who are good at teamwork aren't always going to be on the same page. There's rarely one objectively correct method that's visible from all perspectives, and just calling out ult percentage isn't good enough to determine order of attack, timing, etc.

It's a lot like project management in real life. You could have the most competent group of people in the world, but if you don't touch base now and again, people are going to lose that internal calibration that's integral to success. And similarly, you're going to get the best results out of people who you've bonded with to some extent - be it close friends, or in a pinch, just chatting it up a bit pre-match and early game.

That being said, I'm sure as fuck not going to bother with mics in QP. That's just chill out time.

Dubz

Players that use mics in multiplayer games ruin them.

I don't want to listen to you yelling at your mom about your homework, whatever shitty music you're listening too, whatever racial slurs you learned on the playground today or whatever random nonsense you feel like talking about today.

Also the people who feel the need to bark "helpful" information can also fuck off. "Enemy on the left!". Left of what you stupid ponce. Just shut up.

In CSGO almost everyone has mics, and for the most part yell out useful information. When you're playing CSGO you are pretty much expected to know map callouts. Whenever I join a PUB match of CSGO and only 2 people have mics, we almost always lose.

I agree... for competitive modes.

Feel free to goof around all you want in unranked/casual but it's current year 2017 and you can and should get a cheap mic for $5-10 if you're planning on playing competitively.

Galang

Banned
Gross. I absolutely hate talking to strangers on mics. I will never do it especially considering the amount of racist and homophobic slurs thrown around. No thanks. Winning isn't important at all, it's just a video game. I just care about having fun

Listonosh

Fix the Toxicity of gamers and more people will talk.

Nothing makes people hate mics more than the subhumans who use them just to be monsters.

Yeah, this is pretty much why I don't talk either. During my days with the 360, my wide-eyed self would talk to everyone online, and I discovered very early what a cesspool of toxicity it is, so therefore, since then, no mic for me or strictly in a party.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
Every time this comes up, I say the same thing: you can't control the actions of strangers.

If you want better communication from your team, play with people you know are good communicators.

This has not been the case for me, and I don't have any kind of accent and am male. I can't imagine how much worse it must be for anyone who has the sort of voice that might trigger even more abuse from some of the monsters that frequent these games.

Gross. I absolutely hate talking to strangers on mics. I will never do it especially considering the amount of racist and homophobic slurs thrown around. No thanks. Winning isn't important at all, it's just a video game. I just care about having fun

well then get out of the competitive playlists plz

KJRS_1993

I don't want to listen to your voice, your daft strategies, your shitty music, your children, the sounds coming from your television. I don't even want to hear you breathe.

Losing the occasional game is a perfectly acceptable compromise for that in my opinion.

There's always in-game parties to inflict your suffering on like-minded people if you so choose. What's good about this then is that you opt-in for those irritations yourself, rather than force other players who aren't interested to tolerate them.

Edit: to be clear, by "you", I mean anybody, ever. Just so it doesn't sound too personal!

And that's totally cool, sounds like the non competitive modes are your jam and that's fine.

For competitive, there's some level of teamwork expected. That's what OP is talking about.

jwhit28

This is why no in-game voice chat is the best option. People aren't forced to deal with the toxicity of random voice chat or be silent and be a detriment to the team.

Anon67

Honestly I do not mind THAT much if you don't talk but dammit at least listen to your teammates in ranked/competitive. I've had countless times in R6:Siege and other games where our whole team is telling the last man standing key call-outs but the guy doesn't hear us at all and gets killed in the stupidest ways. Good callouts win games.

Those complaining about obnoxious people: I don't understand why you just can't use the mute button. I guess it's due to sheer laziness.

The only thing worth saying to randoms in Overwatch...

1bbord.jpg

Otherwise there's no point in talking to them. The vast majority are some combination of stupid, dumb, racist, sexist, or annoying.

Private Parties or bust.

Mman235

I've played hundreds of Overwatch comp matches and I don't use a mic. The amount of times people on mic has been a big contributor to winning is a minority vs the amount of times it's just white noise captain obvious stuff, objectively wrong advice, and toxic bullshit that flat-out loses the game by tilting everyone. Those rare games won by other players with good comms is nice but I can pretty safely say I'd be at a consistently higher rank if I just muted all comms from the start (but I don't because I want to believe). Though I do have absolute zero tolerance for assholes at this point and just insta-mute them, rather than holding on to some distant hope they redeem themselves somehow (they never do).

Also the people in-game who are incredibly insistent about others using a mic are almost always the kind of people who make people stay the hell away from using one.

Players that use mics in multiplayer games ruin them.

Also the people who feel the need to bark "helpful" information can also fuck off. "Enemy on the left!". Left of what you stupid ponce. Just shut up.

This. People with mics in OW tend to think they are Alexander the Great when it comes to strategy.

TP

You're barking up the wrong tree OP

Take it up with developers who don't have actual and serious punishment and allow their players to be pieces of shit over the mic without real consequences

And no Mute is not a solution. I have absolutely zero interest in hearing homophobic/racist/sexist trash coming out of my speakers at all. Having to put up with it just about every single game where people do talk just to filter out the garbage so you can hear me say "Mercy low!" is not a solution. That's should be on the developers so take it up with them.

Until then everyone's on mute

Don't like it? too bad. I don't like that developers allow players to spout garbage and do nothing about it.

We're both going to have to deal with it

daffy

Banned
well then get out of the competitive playlists plz

And that's totally cool, sounds like the non competitive modes are your jam and that's fine.

For competitive, there's some level of teamwork expected. That's what OP is talking about.
You guys are fucking tone deaf. TOXIC PLAYERS EXIST IN COMPETITIVE GAME MODES. WE AREN'T GOING TO SACRIFICE PEACE OF MIND JUST TO PLEASE YOUR MISGUIDED PUSH FOR TRUE SPORTSMANSHIP.

As an observer who doesn't play these kind of MP games, it seems like they would be missing half of the point of playing these type of games, but they paid their money the same way you did, they can play however they like can't they?

mollipen

NeoGAF's lack of understanding on how to make words plural is usually bad enough, but man, three times in the same title. *cries*

jviggy43

I agree... for competitive modes.

Feel free to goof around all you want in unranked/casual but it's current year 2017 and you can and should get a cheap mic for $5-10 if you're planning on playing competitively.

Yep this is probably another caveat I should have added. Competitive modes are more or less where I was coming from, in casual modes its obviously whatever.

Top Bottom