• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Player's that don't use mics in MP centric games ruin them

Seems xbox live has a clan/group function to sign up with a crew that has a mic as a requirement. Theres also a looking for group feature that has this ability as well.

Yeah, these features have got me more willing to play MP games where communication is key. Tried it in the SoT alpha and I got in with a good, talkative crew.

Voice and word recognition has gotten so advanced why haven't game companies implemented it to auto-ban players who use horribly abusive language on mics?

Gravidee

I don't use a mic when playing Overwatch but I follow directions well when there is someone else or other folks on the team using mics and giving strategies. What perplexes me is when people have mics, say hello once and then don't bother speaking again throughout the duration of the match.

You guys are fucking tone deaf. TOXIC PLAYERS EXIST IN COMPETITIVE GAME MODES. WE AREN'T GOING TO SACRIFICE PEACE OF MIND JUST TO PLEASE YOUR MISGUIDED PUSH FOR TRUE SPORTSMANSHIP.

They exist. Mute them and move on.

I really do not encounter this stuff that frequently at all in RS Siege and Overwatch comp modes. When I do they get the mute. That's really it.

Communication is a huge part of comp modes and I'm not throwing that out the window because some players act like dicks every once in a while.

I used to always use a mic when gaming up until about 4-5 years ago. Since then, I haven't bothered with it. Probably just because I've gotten older and don't care anymore. If you don't like it, tough luck.

jviggy43

As an observer who doesn't play these kind of MP games, it seems like they would be missing half of the point of playing these type of games, but they paid their money the same way you did, they can play however they like can't they?

Right and I mentioned this in the OP. But if thats the line of reasoning, then how are we going to really complain about people throwing games and trolling, since "theyre playing their game the way they want"?

Onivulk

Banned
What about the issue that constantly arises where two of your teammates get into a verbal disagreement and they both play less effectively because they are trying to win this meaningless argument.

Then 3rd teammate decides to try to defuse the situation by saying "Hey guy let's just focus on the game" and they both turn on him and then he's discouraged.

Then 4th teammate sees the incoming loss and just starts throwing to end this torment

And at this point Im wondering if the enemy team maybe just has less assholes than mine and maybe I would rather them take the win so my team gets the deserved loss.

hypernima

Banned
If the team starts being toxic or negative I dip, I have received some dumb mail and vitriol over comms but I won't say I haven't had good experiences making callouts.

I don't blame anyone for not joining comms for those reasons.

On the contrary, most of my on mic experiences with randomly created online teams have been awful and I refrain from doing so ever again!

I turned off my mic for non-friends list after one too many incidents of racist and/or disruptive audio being piped into my audio feed to "troll" or "lulz" or whatever the fuck it is that edgy 12 years do nowadays.

Mupod

my favorite thing about overwatch competitive mode is people raging about one or two players not in the voice channel and then proceed to do nothing but spout verbal diarrhea the entire match.

I always join the voice channel but other friends I play with have a lower tolerance for garbage people.

MCD

You wanna know the real pain in the ass? Throwers.

Please don't go comp if you are gonna leave immediately or halfway through. In games like OW we can win by the last sec but no you just have to fucking rage quit just because.

Shitty connection? Then don't play comp.

georly

The average pubbie experience ladies and gentlemen.

And that's not going to change. That's by choice. Not everyone plays for the same reason you do, nor should they. People create clans or play specific games with smaller communities for this reason.

Until there's a guarantee the voice chat situation is a good experience for all individuals involved, things aren't going to change.

Just accept people have their reasons for playing how they want to play and it's on *you* to deal with it, not on anyone else to change. This is how the world works and life is a lot less stressful when you're the one who does the adapting rather than getting angry the rest of the world isn't adapting to you.

Apharmd

I agree that it's a giant pain in the ass. I also agree that if they don't want to talk they are perfectly justified in not wanting to. If they don't feel like muting toxic players then that's fine too.

Sucks but us players who communicate must deal with it. We can make groups and look for other people.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Blame the toxic people, annoying kids, people with tons of background noise in their mics etc.

Playing with randoms with mics is an awful experience. I simply don't play team based games, but those that do just need to build to friendlists and schedule sessions with full parties or accept having some mic-less randoms and just not play ranked modes unless they have a full/mostly full party.

Maybe saying "stay off the competitve playlists" was too harsh. Definitely selfish of me. I just don't like the notion that your fun is more important than everyone else's ability to win in a competitive playlist - hey, get this, winning is fun for a lot of us, too. For some of us, that's why we're there.

If you're solid at a game, you can pick up advanced techniques, you can learn to play in a team-oriented manner w/o communication... then it's whatever. Keep on keepin' on. Or just do whatever. I can't tell you what to do.

I have played

-far-
-too-
-many-

online matches where someone else's 'fun' took the steam out of it for the rest of us. I'm not asking for you to keep your mic on so I can scream at you to get the fuck off Torbjorn, but hey. I get it. This is how I feel mics-off. Mics-on, that's probably what you've come to expect, from experience. and there are so many assholes. I lose sight of that sometimes.

I turned off mic support for all of my games because most people are either awful or don't realize their mic is on and I don't want to hear someone chewing for twenty minutes while I try to move a payload.

If you're playing something where ranking matters I can understand the frustration, but don't get mad at me for just wanting to have some fun in arcade and quick play.

jviggy43

Please don't go comp if you are gonna leave immediately or halfway through. In games like OW we can win by the last sec but no you just have to fucking rage quit just because.

But like those saying they shouldnt be forced to play the game a certain way, why should throwers not be allowed to play the game their way?

Theres obviously a distinction but I guess I'm looking for a better line of reasoning then "I'll play the game the way I want", when both practices are a detriment to team success, albeit to very different degrees.

Beckx

As an observer who doesn't play these kind of MP games, it seems like they would be missing half of the point of playing these type of games, but they paid their money the same way you did, they can play however they like can't they?

on PC you have the ability to type so even though you aren't typing during the heat of the moment, you can have the social experience that way.

I don't disagree, but understandably, some people -- women, young children-- are too intimidated.

Sony should add back the voice changer they had on PS3. That could maybe get more people on mic.

Games like Overwatch and Battlefield at least have a built in communication feature though. I have played many silent games with silent teammates who have managed simple teamwork through prompts like "Group up with me!" and "I need ammo!"

In Rainbow 6 Siege, the game allows you to ping anything, which works fantastically well as teammates just get it.

I wish games would expand this feature much more. Id like Rainbow 6 to get personalized ping markers, as well as a text log chat like rocket league for some call outs.

Oh man, this entirely.

God damn, games with comp modes should have higher penalties for leavers across the board. I know CSGO's pretty harsh with this, and they have rounds way longer then Overwatch does.

daffy

Banned
They exist. Mute them and move on.

I really do not encounter this stuff that frequently at all in RS Siege and Overwatch comp modes. When I do they get the mute. That's really it.

Communication is a huge part of comp modes and I'm not throwing that out the window because some players act like dicks every once in a while.
Four man mic'd team. Let's be generous and say only one player is being obnoxious and the others are somehow not enabling them. Mute the one. Now its a three man team. But only on your end becauae the rest of the team has not muted the other player. You've now become the missing link that is being "petty" and ruining the dynamic. So no, that doesnt make any sense.

Like I said, when i notice positive play, or a lack of negative chat, I use my mic. I do NOT negotiate with terrorists who are likely straight white males telling me I need to speak up and tolerate some toxicity every now and then if I want to be part of the team.

zoodoo

Right and I mentioned this in the OP. But if thats the line of reasoning, then how are we going to really complain about people throwing games and trolling, since "theyre playing their game the way they want"?

same thing

if you are in a team of players trolling, too bad, better luck next time or play with your friends only. You are playing online with millions of random people and expecting things to go your way? there is a reason why even consoles now have community features.

Hylian7

I once thought that way, but not anymore. You can usually pick up on what your team is doing without talking on voice chat. Most games have some kind of built in communication. Dota 2 has quite a robust one, such as letting you point out almost anything on the screen, including him HUD elements, to your teammates by alt+clicking it. Overwatch has little phrases or alerts you can communicate. If all else fails you can just type.

Sometimes people just don't feel like talking.

wildfire

Banned
Mics are optimal.

Mics are not absolutely required.

People who don't use mics do not inherently ruin games.

Why can't you be bothered to read chat messages? People who are serious but don't have or want to use a mic will still communicate through chat.

Why can't you take the time to manage your friend's list and form a stack? People play these games for multiple reasons and those who want to relax instead of being serious are only going to annoy tryhards like us just as much as we annoy them.

Socialize more and find like minded teammates.

Skilletor

I haven't used a mic in years. First night on Injustice 2, I was called a nigger and hoped I get cancer.

It's not a team game, but shows why I 'll never talk to randoms in any game. I'll stick with parties for friends.

Fuck your mics.

Four man mic'd team. Let's be generous and say only one player is being obnoxious and the others are somehow not enabling them. Mute the one. Now its a three man team. But only on your end becauae the rest of the team has not muted the other player. You've now become the missing link that is being "petty" and ruining the dynamic. So no, that doesnt make any sense.

Like I said, when i notice positive play, or a lack of negative chat, I use my mic. I do NOT negotiate with terrorists who are likely straight white males telling me I need to speak up and tolerate some toxicity every now and then if I want to be part of the team.

Huh? I literally said exactly what you said. Don't negotiate with them, cut them off entirely by muting them.

GunBR

I played over 60 hours of Overwatch, and I didn't miss the fact that no one uses the mic
Even in the competitive mode

Players that use mics in multiplayer games ruin them.

I don't want to listen to you yelling at your mom about your homework, whatever shitty music you're listening too, whatever racial slurs you learned on the playground today or whatever random nonsense you feel like talking about today.

Also the people who feel the need to bark "helpful" information can also fuck off. "Enemy on the left!". Left of what you stupid ponce. Just shut up.

It's all fun and games but in Europe we have 23 different languages. Even if people know english, there's still room for them to feel insecure about it/talk to strangers.

Some people like apostrophes, some people just want to play in relative silence and escape.

When you play with randoms, random results come with the territory. Chances are low that players in a general match care all that much about cooperating or strategizing with strangers. Some are inexperienced in multiplayer modes or are trying out new weapon combinations, perks, tactics, etc. If you want a different experience you pretty much have to find a group.

Type40

First thing i did when starting Overwatch was disable the voice chat. I don't want to hear other people.

I love that there is a barrier to entry for voice chat on the Switch, it makes me super happy.

NoKisum

Voice and word recognition has gotten so advanced why haven't game companies implemented it to auto-ban players who use horribly abusive language on mics?

I've fought for this in a previous thread. Apparently it's a bad idea because GAF feels entitled to call others offensive names, and the technology is not far enough to detect various dialects around the world.

jviggy43

same thing

if you are in a team of players trolling, too bad, better luck next time or play with your friends only. You are playing online with millions of random people and expecting things to go your way? there is a reason why even consoles now have community features.

Fair. I'm just surprised that some feel this is acceptable.

Mics are optimal.

Mics are not absolutely required.

People who don't use mics do not inherently ruin games.

Why can't you be bothered to read chat messages? People who are serious but don't have or want to use a mic will still communicate through chat.

Why can't you take the time to manage your friend's list and form a stack? People play these games for multiple reasons and those who want to relax instead of being serious are only going to annoy tryhards like us just as much as we annoy them.

Socialize more and find like minded teammates.

And I should have added that this was more aimed towards competitive modes where trying to compete and succeed is the entire premise, which is quite different from wanting to boot up a casual game of quickplay.

keidashxd

If someone doesn't speak english whose problem is? I think we must understand that multiplayer around the world has this issue, but I'm ok with it.

n0razi

Well lots of online players are introverted or toxic. If you want proper communication in online games you need to make friends and have a regular party

Chesskid1

Banned
i have NEVER EVER used mics in the my entire life of gaming of 20+ years.

i've been really into overwatch the past couple weeks after purchasing it, so i decided to get one because communication seems to be a huge deal.

after i get one, i call out mccree while me and an ana are defending the point. the ana instantly turns to face the call out and sleeps the mccree as he starts saying it's high noon. (and i'm fairly low ranking in overwatch, too! imagine the high levels!)

i was like holy shit, so glad i bought a mic.

yeah there's toxic people and shit, but moments like that are amazing. i haven't made any friends really but i was using an $8 mic just to test it out so i didn't talk as much as i should, ordered a proper headset yesterday actually.

i think you are probably providing a disservice to your team if you aren't using one, espeically if you are playing a tryhard mode where callouts are crucial.

LinLeigh

Those complaining about obnoxious people: I don't understand why you just can't use the mute button. I guess it's due to sheer laziness.

I'm a woman. This means a pleasant group of chatty people can quickly turn bad when they hear my voice.

Weirdly enough it affects my mood.

daffy

Banned
Huh? I literally said exactly what you said. Don't negotiate with them, cut them off entirely by muting them.
Even when there's only one person being toxic? That means I'm playing at a disadvantage if I still try to communicate with the rest of the team. I have no choice but to mute the whole team if no one wants to tell the one player to stop

Counterpoint: players that DO use mics in MP-centric games ruin them.

It is not worth my time or energy to deal with people being abusive on mic. This is why I don't play multiplayer games very often anymore, and this is why I abhor the industry trend towards online play as the primary mode of play. Hell is other people, especially in competitive games.

Nameless

Until there's a smart, effective reporting and/or Rep system that can't easily be abused good luck. The negatives of voice chat, nevermind not feeling compelled to talk to strangers when I don't bloody feel like it, far outweigh a few ultimately meaningless multiplayer stats. And if those stats do mean that much to you, do the leg work to find a regular group or clan.

Top Bottom