• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, Capcom and the Switch: what's going on exactly?

That's more games than PS4 had coming from them 3 months after launch, no? We only had Deep Down announced and that has ended up being nothing so far.

Give it time.

MH World is just plain odd, though. It's built on MT Framework, which was last used for the cross-gen Resident Evil Revelations 2, but since abandoned. And Capcom ported MT Framework to Switch to get USFII running on it (probably for the First person 3D mode) and MHXX.

Thinking like an exec, the only reason I can think of is Capcom wants to sell MHXX twice and MH World twice to Switch owners, either that or the rumour that Sony paid to keep MH World off Switch.

Yes, Sony paid Capcom to keep the game off of Switch and was A-OK with them making an XBOX version.... just because the rumor got something right doesn't mean that every line is correct. That literally wouldn't make sense.

Isn't it much more sensible that Capcom is chasing the trend of the co-op shared-world action/shooting genre which is hot in the west, by developing for the systems that have sold a combined ~85M in the west?

I guess that's a much more sensible opinion and much less interesting though.

Also, it's literally been three months and they already released a game and have one in the pipeline, they're supporting the system.

Also -- unless you're a developer, I wouldn't attempt to try to speak for how easy or simple development could be for a new platform.

Rncewind

You're right, when MH5 was greenlit MT Framework would have been the best engine to start development on (and transition to from MH4) but that wasn't my point. My point is that the game, due next year, is running on MT Framework, which is an engine that Capcom ported to Switch for USF2.

Considering MH World is out in more than 8-9 months' time, it's really not a stretch to expect Capcom to be able to deliver a Switch version of the game when smaller, less able developers like Gust and Omega Force can add Switch versions of their games on their engines, due out much earlier (see: DQ Heroes 1 and 2, released at launch. see: Nights of Azure 2, releasing in August. See: Lego City and Lego Worlds).

the only major 3d game what you listed is DQ heroes and that run poorly and looked poorly

You cant throw projects with diffrent scales in one list

The fact that the Disney Afternoon collection and Megaman Legacy 2 collection are not coming to the 3DS or Switch...should speak volumes.

Not even porting NES/SNES games to Nintendo systems ..is a bigger snub than the lack of a western XX translation.

Exactly. Digital Eclipse weren't even approached by Capcom to make a Switch version of the former, the problem wasn't anything to do with a lack of resource, or time, or effort, but Capcom execs not even considering a Switch version of the game a worthwhile thing to do.

Meanwhile Square Enix, who actually are making an effort, ask M2 to put out the Seiken Densetsu Collection, and Tokyo RPG Factory to port over the Unity version of I am Setsuna for launch. And independent studios like Sumo Digital put Snake Pass out on Switch in two months with great results.

Really not getting my hopes up on that score.

Not only has their support been thin at best, it's been...very strange. On top of putting up a $40 reheated version of HD Remix as a litmus test for future support, they just ported SF4 to mobile. And after stating several times they wanted to boost MH's presence here in the West, they aren't doing a localization of MHXX, instead putting all their eggs into the MH World basket. This despite the West not getting MH on a non-Nintendo console in...what, a decade at this point?

But then again, that's not just limited to Capcom when it comes to Switch. Plenty of Japanese devs have games that could run on it, but either lack of interest from them or Nintendo has put the kibosh on any port announcements.

Yes, Sony paid Capcom to keep the game off of Switch and was A-OK with them making an XBOX version.... just because the rumor got something right doesn't mean that every line is correct. That literally wouldn't make sense.

Isn't it much more sensible that Capcom is chasing the trend of the co-op shared-world action/shooting genre which is hot in the west, by developing for the systems that have sold a combined ~85M in the west?

I guess that's a much more sensible opinion and much less interesting though.

Also, it's literally been three months and they already released a game and have one in the pipeline, they're supporting the system.

Also -- unless you're a developer, I wouldn't attempt to try to speak for how easy or simple development could be for a new platform.

This is why I said "either" and said "if I were to think like an exec". Because these higher-level decisions aren't decided by programmers or artists on the development team. Even a small-scale, easy project like the Disney Afternoon Collection didn't make it to Switch, and the developer said they were never asked to make it for Switch.

Rncewind

For engines that already support the Switch - Unity, UE4 - there basically is a 'port to Switch' button.
For Engines that don't - most publisher in-house engines - there isn't.

And if its any only current gen major game its gonna run like ass and require a lot of optimizing.

Still better then nothing tho

Chinner

Banned
Seeing as we're basically port begging in this thread, I would like a port of resident evil 4 as that would be great on to go.

the only major 3d game what you listed is DQ heroes and that run poorly and looked poorly

You cant throw projects with diffrent scales in one list

Lego City is more technologically advanced than DQ Heroes with physically based rendering and a more modern pipeline of tools. It looked and ran great, with visuals on par with the PS4 version and significantly better than the previous version of the game that was built to support older featuresets and technology:

Digital Foundry's Lego City comparison

DQ Heroes was a quick port on an engine that even Digital Foundry's John said needs a major revamp (iirc).

Lelou

Like i said in many other thread related to mh brand and capcom, i really don't understand what's going on in the capcom offices..

And Konami ��

3DS probably burned them a little with the way Revelations went, and the Wii U didn't do anything to improve matters. I'm sure they will support it with more MH further down the line but not sure what else.

And EA! FIFA 18 on Switch looks like a really solid effort, with visuals and performance that seem to match the non-Frostbite versions of the game on PS4 and One.

Rncewind

Lego City is more technologically advanced than DQ Heroes, actually, with physically based rendering and a more modern pipeline of tools. It looked and ran great, with visuals on par with the PS4 version and significantly better than the previous version.

DQ Heroes was a quick port on an engine that even Digital Foundry's John said needs a major revamp (iirc).

So you arguing against yourself now? You cant list bunch of games and say oh that little devoelper without major publisher can port their game on time why cant capcom

hint lego city is not baked by a small publisher

there could be 100 disgae 5 ports on switch but this is no proof of easly porting something like MH World over

Seeing as we're basically port begging in this thread, I would like a port of resident evil 4 as that would be great on to go.

Please point to the port begging. I'm just wondering where the Capcom's announcements are.

When I ordered my Switch I had no doubt Capcom would support it like every Nintendo console before it. It seems like I was wrong, initially at least. And that's quite a change in the industry, at least from a Japanese pov. Enough of a change that we may like to discuss it.

I posted this in the other Capcom thread (about Capcom and the Switch) but this thread is just as topical:

So I wasn't crazy for saying Capcom wasn't committed to Switch in the other (rumour) thread. E3 announcements have come and gone, and so far Capcom has only announced and released two very quick MT Framework ports on Switch for the entire year.

3DS had Resi Revelations, Mega Man Legends 3, Resi: Mercs 3D, Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition and E.X. Troopers lined up for it from the start - significantly higher investment.

Still, the Worlds rumour from months back suggested that Sony paid to keep MH5/World off Switch. That seems quite believable not because the rest of the rumour was correct, but because MH World is a game with origins that belie its platforms - MT Framework has been dragged back, the game's presentation isn't especially modern, it looks like it could easily be adapted to the Switch.

I'm not sure how to feel about all this, I'm excited for MH World, but it seems that if you want to play the next big MH game with a group of other owners in local multiplayer, with nice buttons and sticks via the Joy-Con, you're stuffed.

Capcom execs definitely haven't been interested in Switch at any rate. Digital Eclipse weren't even approached by them to bring Disney Afternoon Collection to Switch, and the same thing happened with Mega Man Collection 2.

There's a theory that Nintendo asked Capcom to make USFII since it's a good fit for tabletop multiplayer, so if you discount USFII, Capcom's support has been pretty weak. Publishers who have bothered saw gains (Disgaea 5 almost outsold the PS4 version on pre-orders alone, Puyo Tetris is at 60k sales, significantly more than PS4, Lego City sold most on Switch), though.

For now it seems the biggest Switch supporters (major publishers) are Square Enix > Koei Tecmo > Ubisoft > WB Games > Bandai Namco > Marvelous = Sega = THQ Nordic = Capcom

Capcom said it will bring AAA games and Resi Engine (7) (based on MT framework) to Switch, we have MH XX in Japan and there probably will be new MH games in the future for Switch. Also Nintendo changed hardware components because of Capcom, i don't think the situation is as worse as some people believe ;)

Certainly production for 3DS was cheaper, but Mega Man Legends 3 was canceled and there were never successors to Resi Revelations and SF 4 on 3DS.

I would just wait for announcements and be a little bit more patient.

deleted

Yep, that's something I just can't get my head around either...

Something I wrote in another thread:

Capcoms business decisions are just baffling this last year. Particularly when it comes to Nintendo, but also in general. I don't understand them at all anymore.

They support the 3DS out of the gate with high profile exclusives and near impossible ports in form of Resident Evils and Street Fighter. They have HD companion titles and Monster Hunter is coming to the system.

Fast forward to the Switch:
The only Capcom game that's announced is a Street Fighter 2 port running on an engine that Capcom doesn't actively support anymore for new titles.
After they announced this title however, they announced a Dragons Dogma port for X1/PS4. The Swan Song of the MT Framework engine. That is running on the Switch by now. A last generation port. That is directly compatible to an audience that bought Zelda with an incredible attachment rate.

Then we have the Disney Afternoon collection. Coming out during a time where the Switch isn't exactly drowning in games. I think we can agree that this game has a high probability of being a success on a Nintendo platform.

Same for the Mega Man Collection 2.

A look into the future? No Marvel vs Capcom. On Unreal Engine 4 that is directly supported. And the Switch is looking like it's becoming a fighting game haven with lots and lots of Neo Geo ports, Capcoms own SF2 port seemingly being successful, a handful of 3rd party fighters and Nintendo's own fighting games.

Monster Hunter XX is coming out in Japan. The week after it's announced and with cross save games, the 3DS XXs sales don't drop but go up for the first time in weeks.
People are excited in the West too - at least gathering from reactions. And Capcom has no plans in bringing it over, despite it being an easy localisation with most of the game already being localized...

It's mind blowing really. And it's not like Capcom makes all the right decisions when it comes to the PS4/X1 games they are developing either. I have no idea how much money Deep Down has to have cost by now, proprietary engine development and all that. SFV flopping and having a hard time to recover.
Compared to the running start they had on the HD twins last gen, this is just astonishing.

LordRaptor

Exactly. Digital Eclipse weren't even approached by Capcom to make a Switch version of the former, the problem wasn't anything to do with a lack of resource, or time, or effort, but Capcom execs not even considering a Switch version of the game a worthwhile thing to do.

Meanwhile Square Enix, who actually are making an effort, ask M2 to put out the Seiken Densetsu Collection, and Tokyo RPG Factory to port over the Unity version of I am Setsuna for launch. And independent studios like Sumo Digital put Snake Pass out on Switch in two months with great results.

I mean... for these specific games you mentioned;
- there is inevitably going to be some form of VC for the Switch that directly targets NEStalgia like a laser beam, so waiting for Nintendo to do the emulation work and marketing then taking the NES rom royalties kind of makes sense
- SD collection is literally a few old ROMs, lol.
- I Am Setsuna and Snake Pass are both on engines that natively support Switch from the get go.

Now, Cacpcom still rolling their own engines and all of the work that goes into doing that like they're one of the big boys like EA instead of licencing an existing engine and letting someone else do all the work on that is a very different argument.

So you arguing against yourself now? You cant list bunch of games and say oh that little devoelper without major publisher can port their game on time why cant capcom

hint lego city is not baked by a small publisher

there could be 100 disgae 5 ports on switch but this is no proof of easly porting something like MH World over

Yeah, my use of "easily" with MH World wasn't right. It's possible though, compared with other AAA games targeting PC/PS4/One.

I'm not arguing with myself, just stating all the possibilities, some of which conflict. I generally agree with the sentiment that publishers aren't quick to react - Capcom were likely convinced the Switch wouldn't sell well out the gate and now it has sold well, they don't have anything to show. But other publishers are evidently in a better position to provide content than Capcom now that Switch has proven itself to be a device people want.

As for MH World, there are more signs that it could be on Switch than signs that it couldn't.

I mean... for these specific games you mentioned;
- there is inevitably going to be some form of VC for the Switch that directly targets NEStalgia like a laser beam, so waiting for Nintendo to do the emulation work and marketing then taking the NES rom royalties kind of makes sense
- SD collection is literally a few old ROMs, lol.
- I Am Setsuna and Snake Pass are both on engines that natively support Switch from the get go.

Now, Cacpcom still rolling their own engines and all of the work that goes into doing that like they're one of the big boys like EA instead of licencing an existing engine and letting someone else do all the work on that is a very different argument.

They are definitely slower than other "big boy" publishers at bringing content to Switch, that's the point. It's relative to other publishers. But you make a good point with EA. Bethesda hasn't been super fast with Skyrim either.

And yes, while the smaller projects aren't directly comparable, they are still relevant when talking about Capcom's support in general. The fact that execs didn't even want to put a quick collection of NES and SNES games on Switch should speak volumes about what they were thinking about the format at the time. I wouldn't expect Resi 7 on Switch on launch day, but I would have expected Disney Afternoon Collection.

Rncewind

Yeah, my use of "easily" with MH World wasn't right. It's possible though, compared with other AAA games targeting PC/PS4/One.

I'm not arguing with myself, just stating all the possibilities, some of which conflict. I generally agree with the sentiment that publishers aren't quick to react - Capcom were likely convinced the Switch wouldn't sell well out the gate and now it has sold well, they don't have anything to show. But other publishers are evidently in a better position to provide content than Capcom now that Switch has proven itself to be a device people want.

As for MH World, there are more signs that it could be on Switch than signs that it couldn't.

yes but other publisher are bigger then capcom and also are nowhere near dedicated support level for other plattforms. There a whole bunch of games either from japanese or west third partys on unreal 4, a engine better suited and supported by switch, that dont annouce switch ports.

The only thing you can say is capcom is/was not convinced by the switch but capcom is not alone by this, by the contariry

point is: I dont see anything that suggest even remotly there is something "odd" with capcom and i dont want even enter the territory of sony payed capcom for not porting games because then sony must have paid alot of more publishers then capcom

Vorundor

Yes, Sony paid Capcom to keep the game off of Switch and was A-OK with them making an XBOX version.... just because the rumor got something right doesn't mean that every line is correct. That literally wouldn't make sense...

Microsoft is not a competitor in Japan, thats where MH has the biggest market share. Sony doesn't care what XBox does in Japan but it cares about Nintendo.

In japan, portables sell a LOT more than consoles, Sony has no viable handheld anymore and Nintendo has both in one.

Haunted

XX not being a global release is insane to me.

One of Capcom's biggest franchises on the hot new console out this year and you'll be missing the holiday time period because reasons.

Capcom is a shadow of its former self and it's obvious it can only handle 4 or 5 projects a year. Whether or not they choose to release new information on any other Switch titles not yet announced is on them but in the meantime I think they're trying to get their bearings straight on their company before attempted to dive headfirst into a new console ecosystem.

Not that I'm saying it isn't stupid that they aren't just getting those older framework games onto the Switch as soon as possible to capitalize, but that's just how I see it.

They hate Nintendo and their fans, so they're purposely and maliciously sabotaging their relationship after all Nintendo has done for them. All Japanese experts agree that it is an absolute betrayal that should never be forgotten.

I'm not sure why Capcom is being singled out here, so I actually do think this has everything to do with Monster Hunter. Japanese developers are being incredibly gun shy regarding their Switch support. We're still seeing games announced for PS4 for example, that you'd think would get a Switch version but aren't.

This is 'normal' though. Look at how long it took Japanese developers to start rolling out software for 3DS, Vita and PS4, then look where those systems are now. I don't think it's sensible to be so hyper conservative, but this isn't unprecedented and isn't exclusive to Capcom either.

The support will come, we unfortunately just have to wait.

jts

...hate me...
Capcom is in shambles, that's what's going on.

I hope they somehow make a comeback.

deleted

The ending of your quote is so true: Capcom was on point when X360 and PS3 came out. They clearly have lost their edge since.

They made all (most of) the right moves - they had the right contractors, they had an amazing engine, picked the right game to continue and experiment upon...

From Lost Planet to Dead Rising and DMC4, it felt like they really knew how to invest their resources correctly.

I feel like around the time they began work on Dragon's Dogma - which was too big to tackle efficiently, the cancellation on MML3 and every other Mega Man project, the monetization of SFxT and pouring money into their mobile division without ever producing a hit game - they began struggling.

Wrong moves and failing experiments left and right.

But they always had at least somewhat solid support for new platforms, so their Nintendo situation makes very little sense atm.

They hate Nintendo and their fans, so they're purposely and maliciously sabotaging their relationship after all Nintendo has done for them. All Japanese experts agree that it is an absolute betrayal that should never be forgotten.

It won't be. I promise to burn my Rockman security blanket.

Duxxy3

Terrible management at Capcom. Has been terrible for a long time now.

SFV is a mess. MVC:I looks like trash compared to DBZ. There's no sign of DMC5, something fans have been asking for since DMC4. REmake 2 is nowhere to be found.

Regardless of how stupid or not stupid signing exclusive contracts is, they're just not making the kind of great games they were making last generation or the generation before. The only exception being Resident Evil 7.

To use a sports term, Capcom got shook after Resident Evil 6. They've never fully recovered from that.

For engines that already support the Switch - Unity, UE4 - there basically is a 'port to Switch' button.
For Engines that don't - most publisher in-house engines - there isn't.

Where did this magical button logic come from? Unity for every platform still requires bespoke code to handle system events, controller events, network events etc...

The game might work simply by changing the target platform but theres still all the QA work to make sure it responds to every event the system can raise. Don't forget the work needed to get it running at a decent framerate if its being down ported from PS4/PC.

LordRaptor

Where did this magical button logic come from? Unity for every platform still requires bespoke code to handle system events, controller events, network events etc...

The game might work simply by changing the target platform but theres still all the QA work to make sure it responds to every event the system can raise. Don't forget the work needed to get it running at a decent framerate if its being down ported from PS4/PC.

That's just regular port work. It's not "Gonna have to go out of our way just to get it compiling" work. It's as close to 'push a button' as it is possible to get.
Even the mythical "write once run anywhere" dream that UWA proponents push for W10 / X1 still requires that same level of work.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I'm reminded of an old quote from a Capcom representative/developer, back in the GameCube days: "Maybe Nintendo should just buy Capcom".

Lifeline

deleted

I'm not sure why Capcom is being singled out here, so I actually do think this has everything to do with Monster Hunter. Japanese developers are being incredibly gun shy regarding their Switch support. We're still seeing games announced for PS4 for example, that you'd think would get a Switch version but aren't.

This is 'normal' though.
Look at how long it took Japanese developers to start rolling out software for 3DS, Vita and PS4, then look where those systems are now. I don't think it's sensible to be so hyper conservative, but this isn't unprecedented and isn't exclusive to Capcom either.

The support will come, we unfortunately just have to wait.

Well, not exactly - they were super fast during the start of the 360/PS3 era to support the platforms and even during 3DS we had early announcements and releases of RE: Mercenaries and Street Fighter IV which was a neigh impossible port to run at 60 FPS.

Top Bottom