• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, Capcom and the Switch: what's going on exactly?

Games sold @ console launch isn't indicative of the platforms success. Numbers are inflated because there is nothing else to play.
Oh look another person downplaying Switch software numbers. If you say that then every console doesn't have games to play after launch like XBO and PS4 and especially the Wii U....

Yep, that's something I just can't get my head around either...

Something I wrote in another thread:

This is a fantastic summary of baffling decisions, thank you.

I'm reminded of an old quote from a Capcom representative/developer, back in the GameCube days: "Maybe Nintendo should just buy Capcom".

They probably could afford to (fairly easily too), and it might actually be worth it just for the IPs alone. But it's not gonna happen, that's not how Nintendo operates.

Well, not exactly - they were super fast during the start of the 360/PS3 era to support the platforms and even during 3DS we had early announcements and releases of RE: Mercenaries and Street Fighter IV which was a neigh impossible port to run at 60 FPS.

But if you look at the 3DS, Vita and PS4, most Japanese third parties were very slow in rolling out support for those platforms. Yes, even the money maker 3DS, which is why I say as of more recently, this is 'normal'.

I think Nintendo fans have seen the lack of a MH game and have started to panic when actually, this is more of an indictment on the Japanese game industry than Capcom specifically. Where is Yokai Watch for Switch? Pokemon? Dragon Quest is announced but we still have no idea when that's even coming. You get the picture. This isn't Capcom refusing to support the system.

butman

I still wondering why they didn't announced Dragon's Dogma Remastered for the Switch when they did it for PS4 and Xbone.

That's just regular port work. It's not "Gonna have to go out of our way just to get it compiling" work. It's as close to 'push a button' as it is possible to get.
Even the mythical "write once run anywhere" dream that UWA proponents push for W10 / X1 still requires that same level of work.

It is just port work but if a company deems it not cost efficient then so be it. Don't forget a lot of indies also use 3rd party modules from the Asset Store which might not work with Switch from the get go. I've already mentioned down scaling assets. Re-testing the game from beginning to end.

Theres more to it than pressing a button and you've got a Switch port ready to ship.

Same with most third parties no?

They don't want to support it when they have access to 60m or whatever consumers on PS4. Switch games offer a considerably lower prospective ROI.

Oh look another person downplaying Switch software numbers. If you say that then every console doesn't have games to play after launch like XBO and PS4 and especially the Wii U....

What's wrong with saying it's true for those platforms too? Do we think games like Killzone Shadowfall would have performed as well as they did if there weren't very few options? A limited number of games absolutely influences software sales, and I even believe it influences the critical reception a game is likely to receive. As an example, I feel that Resistance (PS3) received an overly positive reception (both comercial and critical) because it was one of the only good launch games for the PS3.

Insomniac were never able to replicate the success of the first game, and in retrospect I don't think it's better than R2, or R3, just a different game with a very optimal release window.

Xiao Hu

The fact that the Disney Afternoon collection and Megaman Legacy 2 collection are not coming to the 3DS or Switch...should speak volumes.

Not even porting NES/SNES games to Nintendo systems ..is a bigger snub than the lack of a western XX translation.

Capcom's management is unreliable as fuck. I would consider an acquisition if I was in Nintendo's position. Bolstering their own offering and locking in a system seller series is worth it.

I still wondering why they didn't announced Dragon's Dogma Remastered for the Switch when they did it for PS4 and Xbone.

This would have been too perfect a match. Exchanging pawns with friends on the go? Naaaah, that's too good, let us not release this!
Sigh...

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
They probably could afford to (fairly easily too), and it might actually be worth it just for the IPs alone. But it's not gonna happen, that's not how Nintendo operates.
Agreed. I originally took it to mean something along the lines of "Nintendo management would do a better job running the company than Capcom management".

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
From the same report that shared that Capcom requested increased RAM for the Switch we also learnt that Capcom are porting the RE7 engine to the Switch.

Given the RE7 engine is likely the basis of all future projects, like MT before it, step one to releasing games is having the engine they run on compatible.

They also statesd in their latest financial annual report that they are going to include Switch more in their multiplatform strategy

let's wait and see, even if it is absolutely normal to be suspicious right now

deleted

I'm reminded of an old quote from a Capcom representative/developer, back in the GameCube days: "Maybe Nintendo should just buy Capcom".

I dunno how much you are joking, but it wouldn't be the worst outcome.

Some of their biggest franchises have proven to sell very well on Nintendo consoles, like Mega Man, Street Fighter, Resident Evil and of course Monster Hunter.

They share some art and gameplay philosophies since the NES days and Nintendo has proven with Monolith Software that they are able to have a studio releasing games that are somewhat out of their comfort zone too.

Capcom is clearly struggling in getting back to their high quality days and find new success in their established franchises. They've failed so far with SFV and RE. Hopefully Monster Hunter World is a success, because if that one fails, I'd place bets that they have to fusion or will be bought out.

Hopefully it's not Konami in that case.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I dunno how much you are joking, but it wouldn't be the worst outcome.

Some of their biggest franchises have proven to sell very well on Nintendo consoles, like Mega Man, Street Fighter, Resident Evil and of course Monster Hunter.

They share some art and gameplay philosophies since the NES days and Nintendo has proven with Monolith Software that they are able to have a studio releasing games that are somewhat out of their comfort zone too.

Capcom is clearly struggling in getting back to their high quality days and find new success in their established franchises. They've failed so far with SFV and RE. Hopefully Monster Hunter World is a success, because if that one fails, I'd place bets that they have to fusion or will be bought out.

Hopefully it's not Konami in that case.

If anything, I'd say taht Sony is way more closer to buy Capcom than Nintendo LOL

Agreed. I originally took it to mean something along the lines of "Nintendo management would do a better job running the company than Capcom management".

Ah yeah, that's probably pretty true too. Say what you will about Nintendo but their management coexists very well with their developers.

LordRaptor

It is just port work but if a company deems it not cost efficient then so be it. Don't forget a lot of indies also use 3rd party modules from the Asset Store which might not work with Switch from the get go. I've already mentioned down scaling assets. Re-testing the game from beginning to end.

Theres more to it than pressing a button and you've got a Switch port ready to ship.

Like I say, that's just regular port work; how an Indie is going to handle that is not comparable to how a multi-national publisher would handle that.
A capcom using Unity would literally never be buying closed source asset store modules and then having a team sat around waiting for the author to update them.

Lelou

But if you look at the 3DS, Vita and PS4, most Japanese third parties were very slow in rolling out support for those platforms. Yes, even the money maker 3DS, which is why I say as of more recently, this is 'normal'.

I think Nintendo fans have seen the lack of a MH game and have started to panic when actually, this is more of an indictment on the Japanese game industry than Capcom specifically. Where is Yokai Watch for Switch? Pokemon? Dragon Quest is announced but we still have no idea when that's even coming. You get the picture. This isn't Capcom refusing to support the system.

Pokken coming in 2 months, pokemon rpg next year and already announced.
Many level 5 project on the works (layton included)
Dragon quest announced, and heroes 1-2 already released.
Disgaea already come almost on day 1.

I don't see your picture at all honestly..

Same with most third parties no?

They don't want to support it when they have access to 60m or whatever consumers on PS4. Switch games offer a considerably lower prospective ROI.

What's wrong with saying it's true for those platforms too? Do we think games like Killzone Shadowfall would have performed as well as they did if there weren't very few options? A limited number of games absolutely influences software sales, and I even believe it influences the critical reception a game is likely to receive. As an example, I feel that Resistance (PS3) received an overly positive reception (both comercial and critical) because it was one of the only good launch games for the PS3.

Insomniac were never able to replicate the success of the first game, and in retrospect I don't think it's better than R2, or R3, just a different game with a very optimal release window.
The thing is if we use this logic then Need For Speed Most Wanted U would have sold very well due to a limited amount of Wii U games. The game was a fantastic port and released at a time to itself but it didn't sell. And I think when you say Killzone Shadowfall,and that's a good point, but the difference is Switch offers these console experiences on the go so it has more incentive. This isn't the usual home console after all(I'm terrible at explaining my argument so sorry).

Fiendcode

Posted this in another thread but here are the Capcom games we knew about 3-4 months into each system's lifecycle.

Nintendo 3DS
Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition (released)
Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D (released)
Nazo Waku Yakata
Resident Evil Revelations
Mega Man Legends 3 (eventually canceled)

PS Vita
Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 (released)
Street Fighter X Tekken

Wii U
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (released)
Resident Evil Revelations: Unveiled Edition

Xbox One
Dead Rising 3 (released)
Strider

PlayStation 4
Strider
Deep Down (eventually canceled?)

Nintendo Switch
Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers (released)
Monster Hunter XX: Nintendo Switch Edition

Kouriozan

Same thing can be said about Level 5, huge DS and 3DS supporter, Switch came and is a success, 0 support confirmed from them.
Looks like Nintendo can't even count on Japanese 3rd parties anymore.

MH World is just plain odd, though. It's built on MT Framework, which was last used for the cross-gen Resident Evil Revelations 2, but since abandoned. And Capcom ported MT Framework to Switch to get USFII running on it (probably for the First person 3D mode) and MHXX.

Thinking like an exec, the only reason I can think of is Capcom wants to sell MHXX twice and MH World twice to Switch owners, either that or the rumour that Sony paid to keep MH World off Switch.

Or since it is open world it may have to do with the ram. Hence capcom asking for more ram. Third parties prefer if things are easier to port. Given the history of third party performance on nintendo consoles they may not be willing to jump through hoops.

It's simple, Capcom wants money. They set unrealistic target sales for their games and significantly falls short. Instead of looking at where the Japanese market is and what the fans in the West want, they do something like DmC, Bionic Commando, ORC, Umbrella Corp and other failed attempts.

SFV is a Sony-financed iteration. It won't go anywhere else than PlayStation & PC.

Everytime

giphy.gif

Fiendcode

Or since it is open world it may have to do with the ram. Hence capcom asking for more ram. Third parties prefer if things are easier to port. Given the history of third party performance on nintendo consoles they may not be willing to jump through hoops.
Given the history of 3rd party performance on Nintendo consoles? How did MH do on Wii, 3DS and Wii U again?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

Then why develop on MT framework to begin with? Perhaps they initially thought the system would be more capable?
In that case why not localize XX in time for the holidays? That just feels like leaving money on the table.

Posted this in another thread but here are the Capcom games we knew about 3-4 months into each system's lifecycle.

Nintendo 3DS
Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition (released)
Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D (released)
Nazo Waku Yakata
Resident Evil Revelations
Mega Man Legends 3 (eventually canceled)

PS Vita
Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 (released)
Street Fighter X Tekken

Wii U
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (released)
Resident Evil Revelations: Unveiled Edition

Xbox One
Dead Rising 3 (released)
Strider

PlayStation 4
Strider
Deep Down (eventually canceled?)

Nintendo Switch
Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers (released)
Monster Hunter XX: Nintendo Switch Edition

Well thank you, it kinda answers my initial question. I guess we should wait for TGS then.

deleted

This is a fantastic summary of baffling decisions, thank you.

My pleasure!

Level5 has announced support for the Switch, Pokemon just got announced and may very well release next year, Dragon Quest this early in a systems live span is unprecedented.

The announcement of big games yet to come is there.

There is support, but not with the big ones right now. Tekken 7 is missing, all the cheap cash in words are not there that are almost traditional by now.
No early Rayman port from Ubisoft.

And you're right for Vita, PS4 and X1 - on 3DS I would disagree though. They were still fast there.

If anything, I'd say taht Sony is way more closer to buy Capcom than Nintendo LOL

Sure, they fund Capcom games left and right - all things considered though, Nintendo might have a bigger IP benefit from a buyout, especially with Sony closing down studios over the last few years, having no active portable around and Nintendo growing here and there.

I think Capcom was waiting too long and werent sure it was gonna take off

The slow start up of support is just them catching up to the delay

They dont seem overly wary. They are putting XX out in Japan

As long as the sales stay consistent around the world you can bet they will put more games out

This is likely true of many devs on the switch. Sometime its takes months upon months to turn a large ship and start supporting a brand new platform

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I'm not sure why Capcom is being singled out here, so I actually do think this has everything to do with Monster Hunter. Japanese developers are being incredibly gun shy regarding their Switch support. We're still seeing games announced for PS4 for example, that you'd think would get a Switch version but aren't.

This is 'normal' though. Look at how long it took Japanese developers to start rolling out software for 3DS, Vita and PS4, then look where those systems are now. I don't think it's sensible to be so hyper conservative, but this isn't unprecedented and isn't exclusive to Capcom either.

The support will come, we unfortunately just have to wait.

I don't disagree with the general point- that Japanese pubs are slow to transition.

But I do think if you just go down the list, Capcom's support right now looks very tepid.

Raitaro

GoNintendo made a video about this exact topic that seems relevant. if I remember correctly, he speculates that their Switch support does indeed look off and that they either have more in the works while being asked by Nintendo to keep quiet, or that they were actually blindsided by the Switch's success entirely. (That or they actually don't want to develop more for Switch for some irrational reason.)

I have to say, ever since the Wii and Wii U days (starting possibly even with their Gamecube "Capcom 5" hijinks) have I become increasingly more dissappointed by Capcom and their inability to see that there is a strong overlap between Nintendo system owning gamers and oldschool or ongoing Capcom fans. It baffles me to no end why they exclusively keep chasing the "adult / AAA-loving" gamer on Xbox and Playstation while they have such strong historical ties to Nintendo consoles and despite many of us still waiting for their more colorful output on said systems like Mega Man.

I also have no clue why they leave Nintendo hanging both in bad (i.e. Wii U) and good days (i.e. Switch) instead of being the Japanese equivalent of a Ubisoft level supporter that is there day 1 with one or even a few strong releases to show support. Again, if they had done just new Mega Man games for Nintendo systems or the occassional Ghouls 'n Ghosts I'm sure people would have appreciated it and would have viewed them in a more positive light.

(Not even doing the recent classic game re-releases like the Mega Man Legacy and Disney collections for Switch is the opposite of what seems like a logical thing to do considering those games' histories on NES etc. imo, and if I were Nintendo, I'd be getting more than a little bit miffed with them by now.)

Pokken coming in 2 months, pokemon rpg next year and already announced.
Many level 5 project on the works (layton included)
Dragon quest announced, and heroes 1-2 already released.
Disgaea already come almost on day 1.

I don't see your picture at all honestly..

A Pokemon game was announced with a logo and is likely not coming until 2019, despite what NoA is trying to tell us.

These Level 5 projects have yet to be formally revealed or announced other than "we're working on Switch games". Means nothing until we see something substantial.

Disgaea and Dragon Quest Hero ports don't exactly disprove what I'm saying either. The fact is, Capcom has actually released/announced more games for Switch than most Japanese developers, who've yet to formally announce anything.

Again, the only reason people are ragging on Capcom is because they're upset that Monster Hunter World isn't coming to Switch and MHXX isn't being localised yet. In the grand scheme of things, it says absolutely nothing about Capcom's intended long term support for a platform that is barely 4 months old yet.

Some of you need to chill out.

I don't disagree with the general point- that Japanese pubs are slow to transition.

But I do think if you just go down the list, Capcom's support right now looks very tepid.

Who are we comparing them to though? Street Fighter has been released and MHXX is coming in a couple of months. I can't think of many Japanese developers who have announced and/or released more than 2 games for the Switch.

Given the history of 3rd party performance on Nintendo consoles? How did MH do on Wii, 3DS and Wii U again?

Talk about third parties in general, get a response back of a franchise or two. Never fails. So let us talk about home consoles (because handhelds have always been a different discussion), both sales for MH 3 (Wii) and MH3U (Wii U) especially in relation to install bases were considered low and sluggish. The portable versions for the PSP and the 3DS are the titles that have had great sales. Since Nintendo is adamant about keeping the 3DS as their portable and talking as if switch is a home console. It only makes sense for Capcom to continue allocating more resources to the 3DS/2DS instead of the Switch.

Then why develop on MT framework to begin with? Perhaps they initially thought the system would be more capable?
In that case why not localize XX in time for the holidays? That just feels like leaving money on the table.

I have no idea why they aren't porting XX in a reasonable time. Reviving MT is probably meant to help port things but I imagine there are some power disparities that take more resources to overcome than others (in terms of MHW).

I think if Nintendo had decided to kill 3DS support things would be different in terms of support for Switch. I would easily assume popular titles would have seen a switch version.

They released USF2 in the launch window, MH:XX is not coming west, and nothing else is announced.

It just feels like they don't want to invest in the sole portable on the market in the foreseeable future. And yet they asked Nintendo to increase the RAM of the Switch during development...

So what's going on there because I sure haven't got a clue about Capcom's stance.

This is not a thread about Monster Hunter btw, I just don't get they have no games announced on the console.
It's the same as what they did on Vita...
An other company gave them a better offer.

GoNintendo made a video about this exact topic that seems relevant. if I remember correctly, he speculates that their Switch support does indeed look off and that they either have more in the works while being asked by Nintendo to keep quiet, or that they were actually blindsided by the Switch's success entirely. (That or they actually don't want to develop more for Switch for some irrational reason.)

I have to say, ever since the Wii and Wii U days (starting possibly even with their Gamecube "Capcom 5" hijinks) have I become increasingly more dissappointed by Capcom and their inability to see that there is a strong overlap between Nintendo system owning gamers and oldschool or ongoing Capcom fans. It baffles me to no end why they exclusively keep chasing the "adult / AAA-loving" gamer on Xbox and Playstation while they have such strong historical ties to Nintendo consoles and despite many of us still waiting for their more colorful output on said systems like Mega Man.

I also have no clue why they leave Nintendo hanging both in bad (i.e. Wii U) and good days (i.e. Switch) instead of being the Japanese equivalent of a Ubisoft level supporter that is there day 1 with one or even a few strong releases to show support. Again, if they had done just new Mega Man games for Nintendo systems or the occassional Ghouls 'n Ghosts I'm sure people would have appreciated it and would have viewed them in a more positive light.

Im going with blindsided for the time being

But since Switch is so supply constrained they can afford to take their time.

I've said multiple times, for a system like the Switch launching squarely in tge middle of the lifecycles of the main systems it is suppose to share support with, ports and game announcements should turn around much quicker.

But in general a handheld far more powerful than any last generation system is new to the market and the fact there is zero effort being put forth to port any of those games is strange. Capcom stands out because they use 1 engine which has already been ported to Switch and have annouced several games that would not be difficult to have up and running.

Disney Collection, Dragon's Dogma, Megaman Collection and all those RE Uprez ports could not launch on the Switch? Not even one? Whenever someone says this is about MH I always am baffled. We have only known about XX not coming to the West and World for a week. We have had this Capcom and Switch convo for weeks if not months over and over.

RE6 did cause a setback for Capcom. Yes, Capcom started out strong on ps3/360 era. But, what is the one thing Capcom doesn't get right yet? Online multiplayer outside of fighting games.

Capcom needs to learn how to develop and incorporate online multiplayer into the majority of their games. They have failed to do so yet, this is a another major reason they are in trouble.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Or maybe its because of the portability aspect?

That helps things like Puyo a ton for sure.

I also think it could be part of why Capcom isn't super on board at the moment. With Monster Hunter going HD, maybe they're just less interested in making portable games right now and won't to focus on top graphics (though MvC:I looks terribly low budget, so that kind of shoots a hole in that theory).

More likely they're just chasing the much larger PS4/X1/PC base right now and we'll see more Switch games once that base is larger. Now the base is small as it's new and it will grow slower than they (or Nintendo) would like due to supply constraints. If they put out stuff like Mega Man etc. now its sales are limited by the base and the game will be forgotten about in a year or two when supply catches up with demand. So better to hold most titles (things that aren't niche like a $40 SFII port) until more Switches are out in the wild. It is (or was before more things like MK8, Arms, Splatoon 2 etc. started coming out that eat up a lot of gaming time) a great time to put out niche titles though since those will likely sell more near launch when people are more starved for games and have fewer options.

Rncewind

Watching this video and reading stuff nonsense stuff like the bolded this seems a super fanboy argument in lines of capcom betrayal and XY shoot themself in the foot

Made hardware that people buy

you must be a time traveler to buy 3ds or vita in the time mon hun was announced :)

Raitaro

Im going with blindsided for the time being

But since Switch is so supply constrained they can afford to take their time.

I'm also crossing my fingers for now hoping they'll come around. I mean if friggin Konami can surprise us with a decent Bomberman launch game on Switch, speaking about dormant IP and risk averse publishers, Capcom really has no excuse to not at least seriously try to do a Mega Man or GnG for the platform at some point. Phoenix Wright would be an excellent fit as well. Or perhaps even a new "AA" IP.

Again, the only reason people are ragging on Capcom is because they're upset that Monster Hunter World isn't coming to Switch and MHXX isn't being localised yet. In the grand scheme of things, it says absolutely nothing about Capcom's intended long term support for a platform that is barely 4 months old yet.

It's really not that. I've mentioned Capcom's support on Switch as weak before we even knew about MHXX, and it would be seen as even weaker if MHXX didn't exist. The absence of smaller titles like Disney Afternoon Collection speak as loud about what Capcom execs thought of Switch than Monster Hunter, in my eyes.

The same goes for Level-5, who were there on day 1 for 3DS with Layton 5, and with games like Time Travelers, an Inazuma Eleven enhanced port and Layton Vs Phoenix Wright in the works. Nothing on Switch.

It's all relative, really. There's Capcom's support versus other publishers like Square Enix, and Switch Capcom support versus other platforms like 3DS.

Either way, one thing is true: Capcom execs weren't convinced Switch would be worth their time in the launch window, so they missed the boat on smaller, low-resource games at the very least. Bigger projects make more sense since they have larger turnaround times, and they are often greenlit before publishers received Switch dev kits or were convinced the Switch would be a success at all.

We saw this when PS4 and One launched - support was rather tepid outside of Ubisoft, Activision and EA, and a lot of publishers were holding on to last gen with cross-gen games, or thinking that PC and mobile were the future (see a Jimquisition episode on Square Enix - "Why Square Enix is carving its games into bits"). Only when they realised their market predictions were wrong did they start supporting these platforms properly, but due to the turnaround times of game development the publishers saw a quick fix: outsourcing remasters.

That Capcom didn't even want to devote resource in the latter speaks volumes. I wouldn't even say the small-scale games like Disney Afternoon Collection would be as much work as a remaster, and Capcom has a high profile MT Framework 3DS game out soon (Dai Gyakutan Saiban 2) that they could make cross-gen for Switch like how Ace Attorney 5 landed on iOS.

VariantX

Given their output, the problem ain't the Switch, it's Capcom. Seems like they've been struggling and their name has been kind of mud for a while. The production values on their software have been steadily been dropping since RE6.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Who are we comparing them to though? Street Fighter has been released and MHXX is coming in a couple of months. I can't think of many Japanese developers who have announced and/or released more than 2 games for the Switch.

SE, Namco, Sega, Koei Tecmo have all released/announced more than 2 Switch games.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I genuinely don't think many 3rd parties knew about what the Switch even was long before we did. Not long enough to start development on anything and get it out in launch window at least. Couple that with a cautious "wait and see" approach, which is understandable given WiiU, and we've got a barren first year for third party support.

The first third party title announced for Switch was Skyrim and that's not coming until like 9 months after release. I'm pretty sure the first time Todd Howard saw the Switch was at last E3. Capcom couldn't get a version of a 30 year old game ready in time for launch. Bandai Namco is releasing a year-old port around the same time Skyrim comes out (I think). I think, if they had the time to, they would have had these games ready for launch. What's the incentive to not have them ready for launch?

I think a year from now things are going to look different. There's never going to be third party parity between Switch and PS4/Xbox because the Battlefronts and Anthems of the world would be pretty awful experiences if ported to Switch, but we'll get more of the games that aren't meant to be graphical powerhouses and occasional lower-budget third party exclusives "designed to take advantage of the unique capabilities of the Switch" that they're always talking about.

Top Bottom