• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, Capcom and the Switch: what's going on exactly?

I've surprisingly had a lot of fun with USF2 and I know it did great so hopefully we'll see more stuff. I'd adore Disney and MMLC 1&2 this year.

Raitaro

Watching this video and reading stuff nonsense stuff like the bolded this seems a super fanboy argument in lines of capcom betrayal and XY shoot themself in the foot

I'm only a "fanboy" in sofar as I prefer Capcom's older output above many of the games they stuck with during the PS3/360 days and beyond (like how they continue to pump out Dead Rising games). As such I see no reason as to why I can't hope for them to do a few of those older Nintendo related IP on a new Nintendo platform that is selling very well as opposed to seemingly doing everything in their power to avoid said platform outside of yet another port of SFII.

Also, if you don't agree with someone's thoughts or sentiments it's not really necessary or polite to start calling it "nonsense" either.

SE, Namco, Sega, Koei Tecmo have all released/announced more than 2 Switch games.

I was about to ask about Sega but I remembered Sonic Forces (which was looking surprisingly solid at E3), Atlus stuff and Sonic Mania.

I was surprised Sega management decided to greenlight an Xbox One version of Valkyria Revolution but not a Switch version, though. Is the Vita version still being released in the west?

sinonobu

Banned
It's really not that. I've mentioned Capcom's support on Switch as weak before we even knew about MHXX, and it would be seen as even weaker if MHXX didn't exist. The absence of smaller titles like Disney Afternoon Collection speak as loud about what Capcom execs thought of Switch than Monster Hunter, in my eyes.

The same goes for Level-5, who were there on day 1 for 3DS with Layton 5, and with games like Time Travelers, an Inazuma Eleven enhanced port and Layton Vs Phoenix Wright in the works. Nothing on Switch.

I think new Inazuma Eleven game is pretty much confirmed for Switch unless there's PSP3 in the works.

SE, Namco, Sega, Koei Tecmo have all released/announced more than 2 Switch games.

That's only 4 publishers though, albeit big ones. Generally speaking, Capcom's output has slowed down considerably across the board. I just don't think there's that much cause for concern when Switch isn't even 4 months old yet.

Bert409

Like most developers, they assumed the Switch would be a Wii U-type bomb up until three months ago. There should be more and more third party announcements trickling in as time goes on.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
That's only 4 publishers though, albeit big ones. Generally speaking, Capcom's output has slowed down considerably across the board. I just don't think there's that much cause for concern when Switch isn't even 4 months old yet.

Ok. If Capcom is no longer considered in the same league as KT and Namco Bandai and should be considered more in line with Marvelous and NIS then I guess we all need to adjust our expectations.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Capcom has been pretty rudderless of late. SFV bombed and Marvel 4 looks to be another disaster and they've still haven't learned anything from NRS. Resident Evil 7 was a nice surprise, but the company is rather limping along.

yes, sadly capcom has really been in a bad way since the 360 era

such a shame

Rncewind

I'm only a "fanboy" in sofar as I prefer Capcom's older output above their games they stuck with during the PS3/360 days and beyond. As such I see no reason as to why I can't hope for them to do a few of those on a new Nintendo platform that is selling very well as opposed to seemingly doing eveything in their power to avoid said platform outside of yet another port of SFII.

Also, if you don't agree with someone's thoughts or sentiments it's not really necessary or polite to start calling it "nonsense" either.

Claiming audience XY is YX without any evidence and the same saying there is goldmine of audience exclusivy on a other plattofrm is no sentiments tho but, a baseless claim. Thats like saying people on Nintendo plattform only play easy 2d plattformers.

As MatrixMan.EXE said there is nothing out there with capcom behaivor then other japanese publishers.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Capcom isn't the same company there were generations ago. Nintendo releasing a new system doesn't mean the floodgates are suddenly going to open with new Capcom games. They've barely released anything on the existing consoles that are much older.

Is Nintendo helping pay for development of anything? Seems that's the only way to get something new out of them.

Fiendcode

Talk about third parties in general, get a response back of a franchise or two. Never fails. So let us talk about home consoles (because handhelds have always been a different discussion), both sales for MH 3 (Wii) and MH3U (Wii U) especially in relation to install bases were considered low and sluggish. The portable versions for the PSP and the 3DS are the titles that have had great sales. Since Nintendo is adamant about keeping the 3DS as their portable and talking as if switch is a home console. It only makes sense for Capcom to continue allocating more resources to the 3DS/2DS instead of the Switch.
You were talking about MH World, not 3rd party games in general. Of course Capcom has done pretty well on Nintendo systems more generally too going back with Resident Evil, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Ace Attorney, Okami and others.

Tri and 3 (Wii) U were both considered global hits by Capcom and highlighted to investors. The home/handheld console distinction is increasingly irrelevant when you're talking Japanese companies, and even more irrelevant when you consider Switch is a hybrid console that can service both segments fully.

I was about to ask about Sega but I remembered Sonic Forces (which was looking surprisingly solid at E3), Atlus stuff and Sonic Mania.

I was surprised Sega management decided to greenlight an Xbox One version of Valkyria Revolution but not a Switch version, though. Is the Vita version still being released in the west?

Don't forget about Tetris.

Tonyx

I think they didn't want to take risks and they pretty much didn't much for the Switch launch.

Now I am pretty sure they are seeing the Switch numbers and want to get a slice of the pie as well.. but they are just slow so it will take some time to get things out.

Ok. If Capcom is no longer considered in the same league as KT and Namco Bandai and should be considered more in line with Marvelous and NIS then I guess we all need to adjust our expectations.

You get what I'm saying though, surely? Capcom were also slow in supporting the PS4 which had an even stronger start than the Switch. My point is that while they haven't announced much for the Switch, I don't think the situation is as dire as some of you want to believe. You'd think the Switch was a year old and was seeing an onslaught of software from third parties the way I see some Gaffers talking, but it isn't.

schuelma

You get what I'm saying though, surely? Capcom were also slow in supporting the PS4 which had an even stronger start than the Switch. My point is that while they haven't announced much for the Switch, I don't think the situation is as dire as some of you want to believe. You'd think the Switch was a year old and was seeing an onslaught of software from third parties the way I see some Gaffers talking, but it isn't.

Again, I don't disagree with the thrust of your post- Japanese pubs are slow, Capcom especially, and for the most part a flood of announcements hasn't taken place.

I agree with that.

But I do think its fair to say out of the major Japanese publishers Capcom appears behind on the platform.

So is there any reason why Switch is missing out on Stuff like RE:R's 3rd port job, disney collection, Dragon's Dogma Remastered, Megaman collection etc etc? Are we to believe that Sumo can port Snake Pass to the Switch but Capcom cant get roms up and running?

Again, I don't disagree with the thrust of your post- Japanese pubs are slow, Capcom especially, and for the most part a flood of announcements hasn't taken place.

I agree with that.

But I do think its fair to say out of the major Japanese publishers Capcom appears behind on the platform.

Yeah, I mean I think that's the case for the other platforms too though. At least, if you were to compare Capcom Japan's output compared to the likes of Square Enix, KT and Bandai Namco, it's pretty bad. Street Fighter V, MvC: Infinite, Monster Hunter World and a bunch of ports nearly 4 years into the generation.

schuelma

Yeah, I mean I think that's the case for the other platforms too though. At least, if you were to compare Capcom Japan's output compared to the likes of Square Enix, KT and Bandai Namco, it's pretty bad. Street Fighter V, MvC: Infinite, Monster Hunter World and a bunch of ports nearly 4 years into the generation.

hmm yeah. That is bad.

They spent money on the wrong places... Did they ever succeed in the mobile arena? I know they fucking ruined Breath of Fire chasing the mobile crowd

They pulled a bunch of money from traditional game profits to invest in mobile and what do they have to show for it?

No seriously I have no clue if any of their mobile games hit big or not

They spent money on the wrong places... Did they ever succeed in the mobile arena? I know they fucking ruined Breath of Fire chasing the mobile crowd

They pulled a bunch of money from traditional game profits to invest in mobile and what do they have to show for it?

No seriously I have no clue if any of their mobile games hit big or not

From what we understand, all of their mobile efforts flopped or underperformed. I'd heard that they'd used a lot of their profits from Monster Hunter's rise in popularity to fund these efforts as well which was likely a big mistake in retrospect.

I'm not surprised. Unless you count Revelations 2, which was actually a cross-gen release, Capcom's first original PS4 game was Street Fighter V, well over two years into the life of that console. And they needed Sony's support to even get it out the door in that timeframe. They're a completely different company today than they were a decade ago and it takes them an incredibly long time to ramp up production on a new generation of hardware. I think they're finally fully invested in the PS4/XB1/PC ecosystem, so I don't expect meaningful Switch support for quite awhile.

Rncewind

I'm not surprised. Unless you count Revelations 2, which was actually a cross-gen release, Capcom's first original PS4 game was Street Fighter V, well over two years into the life of that console. And they needed Sony's support to even get it out the door in that timeframe. They're a completely different company today than they were a decade ago and it takes them an incredibly long time to ramp up production on a new generation of hardware. I think they're finally fully invested in the PS4/XB1/PC ecosystem, so I don't expect meaningful Switch support for quite awhile.

and just to point out street fighter v came only out when it came out through sonys backing, if it would be left to capcom it would even take longer which is ridiculous if you think about it

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Lets just say Capcom probably thought the Switch would sell like shit.

Now it seems like its biting them in the ass.

Also why they made SF2 40 dollars is mind boggling.
Yep, this is exactly what I think happened.

I fully expect their Switch support to ramp up dramatically over the next year if sales continue to be strong.

I fully expect their Switch support to ramp up dramatically over the next year if sales continue to be strong.

Again they have time to adjust

2018 should be a banner year for switch and Nintendo is still struggling to mass produce

They are giving devs a window here to get stuff ready for when supply stabilizes... obviously not deliberately

Capcom is a stupid company, because more often than not they back the wrong horse: they gave Nintendo the Resident Evil franchise back in Gen 6; Monster Hunter to a second-place handheld w/ 50% of the DS's userbase; Monster Hunter *console* to Nintendo's worst home system historically; throwback offerings (Disney Afternoon Collection/Mega Man Legacy Collection 2) to ecosystems that weren't even conceptually realized when those games were released originally; and finally Monster Hunter World to an audience who undoubtedly will represent the worst month-to-month user/sales dropoff in franchise history.

Lelou

Capcom is a stupid company, because more often than not they back the wrong horse: they gave Nintendo the Resident Evil franchise back in Gen 6; Monster Hunter to a second-place handheld w/ 50% of the DS's userbase; Monster Hunter *console* to Nintendo's worst home system historically; throwback offerings (Disney Afternoon Collection/Mega Man Legacy Collection 2) to ecosystems that weren't even conceptually realized when those games were released originally; and finally Monster Hunter World to an audience who undoubtedly will represent the worst month-to-month user/sales dropoff in franchise history.

Sadly most of this decisions were made with partnerships, were the company they put some of this games offer back tons of money..

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

Don't forget RE 4 on Wii, which was an easy port and sold well, leading to "original installments" in the form of a content recycled rail shooter as a "test", which after selling well lead to another rail shooter and a port of dead rising, which made the least amount of sense on Wii considering the power gap with the game's original platform.

And while I love Zack and Wiki, you had to be blind to think that game would sell well in the west. Then there are the multiple failed collaborations of that gen such as Spyborgs, Bionic Commando 3D, Dark Void, Ducktales Remastered, etc.

We'll see.

kaioshade

I hold no hope for Capcom or any other company when it comes to support for consoles or systems. I have a Switch, and will enjoy what comes out for it. If Capcom decided to actually localize XX, great, if they drop Switch support completely, i will have other things to play.

Once i came to the realization that companies don't give a damn about their fans, i enjoy my purchases significantly more. Don't hold out hope, enjoy what you can.

Chindogg

Don't forget RE 4 on Wii, which was an easy port and sold well, leading to "original installments" in the form of a content recycled rail shooter as a "test", which after selling well lead to another rail shooter and a port of dead rising, which made the least amount of sense on Wii considering the power gap with the game's original platform.

And while I love Zack and Wiki, you had to be blind to think that game would sell well in the west. Then there are the multiple failed collaborations of that gen such as Spyborgs, Bionic Commando 3D, Dark Void, Ducktales Remastered, etc.

Ducktales Remastered failed? That game was actually pretty good.

Effect

Expectations is why people are upset now. The last thing people should do is expect better or further support out of Capcom. That just isn't coming. They made their bet. They have to see it through regards if it's a bad decision or not. Let the chips fall where they will. Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll finally go under and more competent companies will pick up their IPs.

Well there is Konami with Bomberman (over 500k sold), there will be a new No more heroes/Travis game, level 5 is ramping up support, Nis has several games, 5pb. Switch is only starting and japanese devs are slow with transitioning to new gens/platforms.

I think it will work out for Ninty in 2018.

Just a very odd company.

Expectations is why people are upset now. The last thing people should do is expect better or further support out of Capcom.

But it's only logical that there will be support from capcom. They are on the platform, they said they will give it support, they want to port Resi Engine and they bring MH to it. They won't stop with that, theres no reason to believe otherwise imo.

Effect

But it's only logical that there will be support from capcom. They are on the platform, they said they will give it support, they want to port Resi Engine and they bring MH to it. They won't stop with that, theres no reason to believe otherwise imo.
They say a lot of things. Their actions are what is important. Their actions show another more important story.

We'll see.

What do you mean we will see?

Capcom have been making dumb decisions for a long time. Heck they even used all the profits they made from Monster Hunter on failed mobile games. Resident Evil 6 while good failed their expectations. MvC looks terrible especially compared to the Dragon Ball Z game and will most likely end in the same fate as SF5. It doesn't help they have unrealistic expectations.

So I have less hope in them handling the MH franchise. The fact they aren't even releasing XX in the west is mind boggling.

If Capcom does not do any restructuring to their company I fear they will continue to head downhill. Monster Hunter is literally their saving grace at this point.

schuelma

They say a lot of things. Their actions are what is important. Their actions show another more important story.

well, I do think more Monster Hunter is coming- XX seems like its being rushed out to get things started and Japan install base is about to go up dramatically.

Their actions are that they have 2 games for it, they were involved in developing Switch and they are porting their next gen engine and promising AAA support. Also switch will outsell PS4 in japan and also does well in the west. Why should they abandon it when gets more succesful? Doesn't make any sense tbh.

Yes, we could wait how it pans out, but that goes for the negativety too.

Top Bottom