• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galak-Z dev: The PS4 controller (& Touchpad) will work on PC natively via USB

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This would be perfect for comfy couch PC gaming with games that work well on a controller but you need ocassional mouse input for dialog boxes on launch etc.

BigDug13

PC gaming just got a new best controller

Maybe. Right now, I plug in my wireless 360 dongle and for every supported game, all controls are remapped to be just like the 360 version of the same game. That part is pretty nice.

Will we have that level of ease of use?

Rich!

Maybe. Right now, I plug in my wireless 360 dongle and for every supported game, all controls are remapped to be just like the 360 version of the same game. That part is pretty nice.

If it is emulated as a 360 pad like the Dualshock 3 currently is, then sure.

Maybe not, but it´s PC gaming not console gaming. It´s not that annoying to map some buttons.

BigDug13

Good. I hope you're right. I enjoy just plugging in the dongle and not doing a damned thing and the game simply changes to Xbox controls. If it can do the same thing with the PS4 controller, I may have found my new PC controller.

This would be perfect for comfy couch PC gaming with games that work well on a controller but you need ocassional mouse input for dialog boxes on launch etc.
Lots of games nowadays have full controller support from launch to exit, and Steam's Big Picture Mode is amazing.

For the few times you do need to use the mouse, if you have a smartphone there's this app called MobileMouse that is a godsend. I have the iOS version but I'm pretty sure there is an android version as well.
MotionInJoy uses Xinput emulation to achieve this, you would need some kind of Xinput wrapper for the DS4 to do the same thing because its going to be a standard HID device by default.

It's doable, someone just needs to do it.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
It looks like I've just found my next PC controller. The touchpad controlling the mouse is a killer feature. Killer.

wilflare

I may buy a DS4 before getting a PS4 (lol) just to play my Steam games :)

I hope I no longer have to deal with ABXY and get proper SquareCircleAxeTriangle

Socky

I tweeted @yosp about getting PC drivers recently, although he didn't reply. Not sure why he would be too busy right now..?

This would be fantastic news, particularly if the touchpad works. So good im not sure I believe it. If true, that's another £50-odd you made off me Sony.

Kane1345

mexican-soccer-coach-super-saiyan-gif.gif

(hopefully it's true!)

This is the part where everyone is nodding in a positive matter and I sneak out the back to try to grab one of those two controller PS4 bundles.

Yazuka

If this really is true, then I honestly can think about playing some pc games. Since I connect my pc my tv and like playing in my couch the touch pad on the ds4 will be a blessing.

I don't really know why Sony wouldn't do this. Is there any down side to it? It really just seems like they'll just sell a lot more controllers than they previously would've. So, why not make sure it's compatible when there's a lot of demand for it?

LAA

Awesome!
Hope it'll be like how it is with 360 controllers for PC games that games that support it will have PS4 controller support natively built in the game

I don't really know why Sony wouldn't do this. Is there any down side to it? It really just seems like they'll just sell a lot more controllers than they previously would've. So, why not make sure it's compatible when there's a lot of demand for it?

Playing evil, vile devil's advocate:

Typical branding / marketing policies.

3rd party game comes out, available on PS4 and PC (among others). Gamer X wants that game, and loooves his DS4 controller. Luckily, he can now use his DS4 on PC, and does not have to buy his game on PS4.

Now Gamer X is happy, but Sony is all : \

Still, pretty please gimme dat DS4 bluetooth for PC -__-'

Durante

Playing evil, vile devil's advocate:

Typical branding / marketing policies.

3rd party game comes out, available on PS4 and PC (among others). Gamer X wants that game, and loooves his DS4 controller. Luckily, he can now use his DS4 on PC, and does not have to buy his game on PS4.

Now Gamer X is happy, but Sony is all : \
But the controller is USB, so Gamer X will be able to use it anyway. It's just a matter of how many hoops he has to jump through.

Since most devs have simply been using 360 wired controllers during this gen when working on their PCs; it's understandable why Sony would want the DS4 to become the dev's controller of choice at work next gen

glaurung

Genius if true. I want to replace my old wired Xbox 360 controller with something that isn't beat to hell, but purchasing another 360 controller just seems redundant now.

I'm not sure if it'll beat the 360 controller I've got right now, but I'm always happy for more options.

Will see how the controller feels at launch.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
There are more than a few games now that have DS4 controller prompts. Check out War Thunder on Steam. I really hope this becomes a standard because the DS4 does bring more to PC than the great 360 pad. Before people get their panties in a bunch you have to think about what that clickable touch pad brings alongside the improvements which we've all read about. This would be great.

Well, if you are a PC gamer there's no reason to pre-order the Xbox One controller as there won't be any official PC support until sometime in 2014.

Really? I was seriously looking at the Xbone pad but if that's true and Sony has this working right now on PC then damn. DS4 for my PC then.

The other irony is how I end up playing my PS2 games on PC with the 360 pad and have no issue knowing the DS2 controller mapping on the 360 pad so if the DS4 works just like that 360 pad, I will have no issue knowing the 360 button prompts with a DS4. Hope that makes sense.

glaurung

I wonder... would something like Watch Dogs on PC and AC Black Flag also include on-screen elements for DS4?

Or maybe even support for the touchpad controls?

But the controller is USB, so Gamer X will be able to use it anyway. It's just a matter of how many hoops he has to jump through.

So was the DS3 but it sure as shit was not easy to setup, especially if you were trying to use it wirelessly *shudder*

Less hoops = more people using it.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
We didn't have a thread about this? I suspect there would be some pretty upset people if you can't play PC games with that pad and you have to wait for official support.

Wow. Talk about a role reversal. I'm glad this has potential to be a thing right now. I've already seen a few games at trade shows with DS4 prompts and War Thunder on Steam has them right now so I hope the trend continues.

Someone who prefers the DS4 controller would buy the PC version of a game instead of the PS4 version?

Top Bottom