• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galak-Z dev: The PS4 controller (& Touchpad) will work on PC natively via USB

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Of course it's compatible with the PC, how else will you play PS4 games on your PC through Gaikai?

That's the primary reason Sony has done this.

glaurung

I love the fact that this might be true, since I have always preferred the DS controller style for game play. If I can hook it up to my PC day one and play something like Ultratron with it - awesome.

But what truly baffles me is why MS is not ensuring total compatibility with Windows from the get go? What do they have inside the new Xbox controller - unicorn blood and pixie vaginas?

Nillansan

We didn't have a thread about this? I suspect there would be some pretty upset people if you can't play PC games with that pad and you have to wait for official support.

I don't recall seeing a thread about it. All major outlets did cover this announcement.

Wow. Talk about a role reversal. I'm glad this has potential to be a thing right now. I've already seen a few games at trade shows with DS4 prompts and War Thunder on Steam has them right now so I hope the trend continues.

The DS4 shows so much potential. If Sony does decide to support PC it would be awesome if developers would fully embrace it for upcoming titles. Backwards compatibility wouldn't hurt either, but that is just propelling oneself beyond the realm of wishful thinking.

EDIT: The Xbox One controller's 'Impulse Triggers', sounds like a pretty neat feature though.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Do any PC games include DualShock integration with the appropriate button prompts? Like maybe DC Universe or FFXIV? I hope this can become a common thing, at least for games that are also on PS4.

Oppo

But what truly baffles me is why MS is not ensuring total compatibility with Windows from the get go? What do they have inside the new Xbox controller - unicorn blood and pixie vaginas?

Hey, if you know of a better way to make triggers rumble, I'd like to hear it.

Orayn

I love the fact that this might be true, since I have always preferred the DS controller style for game play. If I can hook it up to my PC day one and play something like Ultratron with it - awesome.

They said that enough had changed about the controller that they're spending the extra time to make sure it's fully backwards compatible with games that used the 360 controller, supposedly.

Do any PC games include DualShock integration with the appropriate button prompts? Like maybe DC Universe or FFXIV? I hope this can become a common thing, at least for games that are also on PS4.

Not officially, since the DualShock wasn't widely PC compatible. You can get the appropriate button prompts in some games that support texture mods, but that's about it.

Gangxxter

Hell yeah, great news! If the touchpad acts like a regular mouse on PCs.... that would be totally awesome!

ohhh.png
I wonder if the controller will work as an Xinput controller or will it be Directinput only.
That's the big question.

The Cowboy

I know a lot of people hate on Windows 8, but it would be great if Sony can get the touchpad to accept Windows 8 gesture controls - I know most touchpads can do some, but it would cool to get them all.

I really want this to be true. Microsoft is giving sony a window into PC-gamer mindshare by not having xb1 pc-controller support until next year. Come on Sony. It simply makes sense to have your controller available to as many people a possible.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Just to clarify this folks:

Your PS3 controller does the same thing. Windows recognizing it as a USB pad *does not mean you can use this thing for gaming*.

Since Sony doesn't use XInput (which 99.99% of PC games released over the past "generation" use) it means that windows won't properly recognize the analog sticks or triggers. Without actual proper drivers (whether official, or a new iteration of motionjoy) this is complete and utter non news.

Guymelef

Your PS3 controller does the same thing. Windows recognizing it as a USB pad *does not mean you can use this thing for gaming*.

Yes, it does, even as PlayStation 3 controller.
But the thing is that Windows doesn't recognize the button inputs in DS3, the news here is that it does with DS4, even in Ouya seems to work.

Since Sony doesn't use XInput (which 99.99% of PC games released over the past "generation" use) it means that windows won't properly recognize the analog sticks or triggers. Without actual proper drivers (whether official, or a new iteration of motionjoy) this is complete and utter non news.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKwL4lrDmA0

Orayn

Some recent games still have a fallback mode for generic USB controllers with support for analog sticks and triggers. You get generic button prompts instead of specific icons, but it works.

Also, you can emulate XInput with X360CE for a decent number of games.

KoopaTheCasual

Gaikai has to eventually come back to PC. I also expect them to resurrect the Gaikai TV app in the future.

It doesn't have to do anything. It's widely speculated that in the distant future it may, but there's nothing to suggest that you will be able to play PS4 games on PC in this generation. That makes no sense.

DieH@rd

Banned

Sadly this. A LOT of PC games today require xinput. PS4 with DirectInput will be worthless for many games, and if they add xinput, then PC will still continue to show X360 buttons on the screen, which Sony will never allow.

Pimpbaa

This is awesome even if it will only work with the usb cable.

edit:

GODDAMNIT!

jwk94

It doesn't have to do anything. It's widely speculated that in the distant future it may, but there's nothing to suggest that you will be able to play PS4 games on PC in this generation. That makes no sense.
I never mentioned PS4 games. Of course that doesn't make sense. I'm talking about PS3, PS2, and PS1 games.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
In a better world Microsoft would supply an official Xinput wrapper where you could set up your controllers and I dunno, add custom graphics for games when displaying buttons. It'd be really cool :(

Show me some where they said we can play PS4 games on anything other than a PS4. Now go back in your house of lies.

What you originally quoted says "PS content", not PS4 games. PS content could mean all kinds of things that aren't PS4 games, and it would make sense for them to have one controller for the PS4, and Gaikai content on other devices.

Orayn

Assuming someone makes an XInput wrapper, are button prompts really that big of a deal? Whenever I see a green Xbox 360 'A' icon, I think of the bottom button in the diamond no matter what controller I'm using.

DieH@rd

Banned
Assuming someone makes an XInput wrapper, are button prompts really that big of a deal? Whenever I see a green Xbox 360 'A' icon, I think of the bottom button in the diamond no matter what controller I'm using.

a LOT of people prefer Playstation button layout, and they never learned how to use Xbox button layout

total Xbox console sales ~ 100 million
total Playstation console sales [home + portable] ~ 400 million

Orayn

a LOT of people prefer Playstation button layout, and they never learned how to use Xbox button layout

total Xbox console sales ~ 100 million
total Playstation console sales [home + portable] ~ 400 million

I know, I'm just asking if it's really that hard to look at a picture of intended controller and mentally map one set of symbols to another, especially when there's only one symbol that overlaps.

Maybe I'm just weird.

PureGone

Banned
What you originally quoted says "PS content", not PS4 games. PS content could mean all kinds of things that aren't PS4 games, and it would make sense for them to have one controller for the PS4, and Gaikai content on other devices.

I guy i quoted also said PS4 games on one of his other posts in this thread, i just quoted his most recent comment.

I guy i quoted also said PS4 games on one of his other posts in this thread, i just quoted his most recent comment.

Yeah, I saw that after making that post. Obviously, PS4 games are not going to be on PC's via Gaikai anytime soon, so that was a mistake. However, there is a lot more content that should be available and it make sense to have a standardized control scheme for both the PS4 and their Gaikai service.

I know, I'm just asking if it's really that hard to look at a picture of intended controller and mentally map one set of symbols to another, especially when there's only one symbol that overlaps.

Maybe I'm just weird.

Yeah, I don't think I would have any problem knowing which button to press. I don't have any problems moving between platforms.

That being said, it would be nice if all this stuff was plug-and-play and the correct button layout was displayed based on the controller you used.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I think of the colors, which is why removing them on the One controller is really, really stupid. Sometimes I wonder what the decision making process at MS is like.

edit: nvm the final version still has some color.

Amir0x

Banned
Did anyone ask Yoshida via twitter yet? He's always answering shit like this. Need to know for excitement level to increase!

Damn, they're even gonna get the PC crowd fighting over which console has a better controller.

I don't like the stick placement on the DualShock, but that Touchpad sounds tempting.

Top Bottom