• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 3 new tech demo: Samaritan

whitehawk

Banned
godhandiscen said:
This is a shot from the original demo of UE3.

unreal-engine-3-project-untitled-20050418001052671.jpg

5 years later and games came close, but still don't have anywhere near that detail during gameplay. Maybe if Epic ported a Gears 2 or 3 to the PC, they could really show what UE3 is capable of.
Huh? Tons of games look better than that screenshot.

StuBurns

Banned
I NEED SCISSORS said:
Perhaps it's to highlight the fact that it isn't needed as much with all the added detail and effects.

Anyway, this looks very impressive and further justifies being a PC gamer for the next few years.
Nothing is going to look like this over the next few years.

Arcipello

StuBurns said:

by "this" you mean technology wise? because i guarantee there will be better looking games than this out within "the next few years"

StuBurns

Banned
Arcipello said:
by "this" you mean technology wise? because i guarantee there will be better looking games than this out within "the next few years"
Why would someone pay the cost to make a game look like that?

I'll be surprised if anyone bothers to put major budget into anything that isn't going to be on console versions of whatever they're doing.

markao

Suairyu said:
Maybe I'm being blind, but is the point of the MSAA comparisons to say they can produce straight edges without MSAA? Because I'm struggling to see differences between the two.

Nobody could. Not even on PC. This is a tech demo. You would not be able to get a playable game out of it on even the top-of-the-line rigs right now.
They might be showing off the use of MSAA, because this engine is build on DX11 and they can use MSAA (so an engine future) in a deferred rendering pipeline. (they had/have a key-talk at GDC about that) Shots are probably to small (downsized) to really notice the difference.

But need to see video to make a judgment, hope it runs at single digit FPS as some of their older engine version show offs.

Arcipello

StuBurns said:

I'll be surprised if anyone bothers to be major budget into anything that isn't going to be on console versions of whatever they're doing.

people have been paying the cost for years now, i mean look at BF3 coming out this year.... EA has been pouring money into the development of the frostbite 2 engine for years now, this is just how the games industry advances from one generation to the next.

szaromir

Banned
StuBurns said:

I'll be surprised if anyone bothers to put major budget into anything that isn't going to be on console versions of whatever they're doing.
Assets aren't that much better than existing games, it's mostly effects whichisalready being taken care of (by Epic and other middleware houses).

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Man why can't Epic make a PC exclusive title that pushes all these features now. Maybe even go for a smaller budget scale game.

Ooo like Shadow Complex Director's Cut. I would do dirty things for that. It would actually use bokeh well.

StuBurns

Banned
Arcipello said:
people have been paying the cost for years now, i mean look at BF3 coming out this year.... EA has been pouring money into the development of the frostbite 2 engine for years now, this is just how the games industry advances from one generation to the next.
Battlefield doesn't look anything like this to me.

It looks like MW with richer assets and animation.

Red

Stallion Free said:
Man why can't Epic make a PC exclusive title that pushes all these features now. Maybe even go for a smaller budget scale game.

Ooo like Shadow Complex Director's Cut. I would do dirty things for that. It would actually use bokeh well.
Goddamn I love me some bokeh. In films, in games, photos, wherever I can get it. I'm always cycling through bokeh wallpapers on my Mac Pro.

Sadly few big developers are interested in PC exclusives anymore. It will be a while before we see the implementation of this full range of effects.

Arcipello

StuBurns said:
Battlefield doesn't look anything like this to me.

It looks like MW with richer assets and animation.

the point the industry moves faster than you actually think, we are now in the golden age of this current generation, we will start to hear rumours about the next gen consoles this time next year:)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Crunched said:
Goddamn I love me some bokeh. In films, in games, photos, wherever I can get it. I'm always cycling through bokeh wallpapers on my Mac Pro.

Sadly few big developers are interested in PC exclusives anymore. It will be a while before we see the implementation of this full range of effects.
Bokeh felt a bit excessive in Just Cause 2. I would trying to look at a city in the distance and it be all like LOL you can't focus on my bokehs.

Red

Stallion Free said:
Bokeh felt a bit excessive in Just Cause 2. I would trying to look at a city in the distance and it be all like LOL you can't focus on my bokehs.
Haha, haven't played JC2. Can't comment. I think it's a classy effect, painterly almost, does great things for composition. Overuse, sure, would get old.

StuBurns

Banned
Arcipello said:
the point the industry moves faster than you actually think, we are now in the golden age of this current generation, we will start to hear rumours about the next gen consoles this time next year:)
Oh yeah, no doubt, my point was 'the next few years' to me is leading up to the next consoles. I don't think people are going to bother pushing this stuff till they can also do it on consoles.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Crunched said:
Haha, haven't played JC2. Can't comment. I think it's a classy effect, painterly almost, does great things for composition. Overuse, sure, would get old.
Open-world just wasn't the best combo with it. I think the effect is the sex too and would love to see it used in cutscenes and appropriate genres like sidescrollers.

Kydd BlaZe

I think it looks amazing.

Not so much the engine itself, though. It does look impressive, but I think i'm more smitten about the setting and overall art direction. My goodness, I hope that this concept is being pitched as an actual game. Cyberpunk, futuristic Washington D.C. looks pretty badass.

Arcipello

StuBurns said:
Oh yeah, no doubt, my point was 'the next few years' to me is leading up to the next consoles. I don't think people are going to bother pushing this stuff till they can also do it on consoles.

who knows, but with this version of UE3 Epic arent really showing us what it can do, they are showing it to all the development studios out there who are starting to really think about the next set of consoles. and i suspect that with this version of the engine you can develop your game on PC primarily and simultaneously port off console version with a lot of the uber DX11 stuff toned right down, so it could be possible this gen:)

Clott

What's really impressive with these screenshots is how amazing the texture work is, and that's what I really want from graphics before lighting and depth of field. Finally with the Witcher 2 we are getting something that finally looks impressive, but we should be getting more games that approach that fidelity. These hypothetical graphics haven't been anything more than a tease, remember how good UT3 was supposed to look? And what did we get? Rubbish

It looks insane, too bad no-one is going to push pc hardware to reach those levels.

Maybe in 2-3 years time, when new console hardware becomes available.

It looks really amazing! Always a fan of Unreal Tech.

But I'm still waiting for Epic to make a true successor to Unreal Tournament 2004.

UT3 felt a little... blah.

StuBurns said:

True, not the whole package - but what we will see is a gradual trickle of these new features into the PC versions of UE3 games (of which there are a lot). UE3 now supports DX11, which a lot of developers seem to be jumping on, which will make it easier to throw things in "for the sake of it".

Unless they are lazy.

Yoshichan said:
Yeah Mirrors Edge is definitely one of the games. Off topic time AND serious question:

Can my computer run Mirrors Edge and make it look like the screenshots above with the following:

win 7
i5 2.67 GHz
Gtx 275

:/?
Those screenshots were taken with a 8800gt lol.

element

metareferential said:
It looks insane, too bad no-one is going to push pc hardware to reach those levels.

Maybe in 2-3 years time, when new console hardware becomes available.
I personally feel games will never get to that level. It just will cost too much to build the assets. Perhaps if someone builds a game that lasts four hours and takes place in the same location.

StuBurns

Banned
element said:
I personally feel games will never get to that level. It just will cost too much to build the assets. Perhaps if someone builds a game that lasts four hours and takes place in the same location.
I think next-gen we're going to see people start licensing huge general use asset packs to side step some of those issues.

Tain

Early UE3 demos were all using Gears designs, so here's hoping that this is a game Epic will be announcing.

whitehawk

Banned
element said:
I would be fine with that depending on the game. There are games where I said "is it over yet?". The game was fun, but the length made it a bit repetitive. I don't see why games have this pressure to be 10+ hours.

Arcipello

StuBurns said:
I think next-gen we're going to see people start licensing huge general use asset packs to side step some of those issues.

actually we already have a lot of companies whos only job is to create assets for other games, Epic hired a company in Amsterdam to create a lot of props etc for GoW

element said:

I don't really know if producing such assets has huge impact on cost managing.

I mean, developers already produce high-resolution, high-quality textures, models, etc.

Problem is, they need to spend time on optimizing resources in order to actually use those assets on console hardware.

Something like the way UE handles normal mapping and geometry; it is that way because consoles can't handle high-poly models.

Same goes for art. You need to translate that into something usable.

Just my thoughts, eh.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Genesis Knight said:
How are people saying Frostbite 2.0 looks significantly better than this?
Well the BF3 videos are an actual game coming out this year, this is just a cocktease that no one will use, show off in motion for a while so it's not a fair comparison on a couple levels.

element

whitehawk said:
I would be fine with that depending on the game. There are games where I said "is it over yet?". The game was fun, but the length made it a bit repetitive. I don't see why games have this pressure to be 10+ hours.
Because the Walmart shopper views that as value. That is why MP has become so important to have in games recently. A game like COD can have hundreds of hours of gameplay because of the MP for $60 VS a SP only game has 10. Those gamers feel ripped off.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Genesis Knight said:
How are people saying Frostbite 2.0 looks significantly better than this?
It's unfair and irrelevant really. One engine is a more current gen but incredible piece of PC engineering. The other is built to be actual next gen by PC standards. I wouldn't compare top rate PS2 stuff to top rate PS3 stuff, closest analogy I'm thinking of immediately. If it's true that current HW can't even run this at 5fps then this really is next gen PC tech here.

StuBurns

Banned
Arcipello said:
actually we already have a lot of companies whos only job is to create assets for other games, Epic hired a company in Amsterdam to create a lot of props etc for GoW
Yeah we have lots of out sourcing, but I mean truly asset packs, like things not specifically made for your game that your license like a game engine.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Tain said:
Early UE3 demos were all using Gears designs, so here's hoping that this is a game Epic will be announcing.
They were supposed to announce at new IP at GDC, but that announcement seems to have got canceled, unless this is indirectly it.

Red

LiquidMetal14 said:
It's unfair and irrelevant really. One engine is a more current gen but incredible piece of PC engineering. The other is built to be actual next gen by PC standards. I wouldn't compare top rate PS2 stuff to top rate PS3 stuff, closest analogy I'm thinking of immediately. If it's true that current HW can't even run this at 5fps then this really is next gen PC tech here.
Nah, DX11 is fairly new and not much has taken advantage of it so far. But the current batch of GPUs is pretty capable of running it well, though not exceptionally. My 5870 is dated at this point and still handles it decently in most cases.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Okay, so I found some much larger and higher quality screenshots, but at what resolution do people find screenshots to be too asinine to embed?

Are people alright with 2484x1379?

M3d10n

Nirolak said:
Yeah I'd say so. Not many though.
2cohaog.jpg
Mirror's Edge's amazing graphics are 90% art and 10% tech, however:

1) They baked their lightmaps using a 3rd party renderer capable of proper global illumination and radiosity (Beast), instead of using UE3's horrible Quake 3-era built-in lightmapper.

2) Used an art-style that is made to show off the lightmaps: lighting is very bright, most surfaces are clean and make heavy use of white and solid primary colors.

Often a lightmap baked in Mental Ray or similar looks completely amazing in a white scene without any textures, but loses all the impact when dark and gritty textures are combined with it (specially because lightmaps are often not HDR, since that'd use tons of VRAM). DICE found a way to make a game where nearly every scene is a "white lightmap scene", bringing the focus to the lightmaps instead of the textures themselves.

Top Bottom