• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 3 new tech demo: Samaritan

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
StuBurns said:
People can scroll, it's not normal circumstances, post them in all their glory.
Okay.

I'll put the one that's like 7000+ pixels as a link though lol.

Here are the thumbnails while I go embed them.

Gattsu25

Banned
I fully came in here expecting the usual ugly UE3 look and....I was impressed.

This looks technically great and have a great aesthetic behind it. I would LOVE for a game to use this style.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'll test here first to see how it looks.

unrealtechnologyscreenz7mu.jpg

billboardreflectionslol7pj.jpg

bokehdof01logotextp7mu.jpg

bokehdof02logotexti7m1.jpg

highqualityshadowslogoo706.jpg

subsurfacescattering01b77n.jpg

shadowedpointlightrefl97vb.jpg

msaa02logotextd7vi.jpg

msaa01logotextm7dk.jpg

dx11dynamictessellationlogotext.jpg

dynamicreflectionshados7lx.jpg

StuBurns

Banned
Thanks for posting, the MSAA does make a big difference in that quality.

I have no idea if this is a hint at something Epic are working on, but if it is, I'm pretty excited actually. I'm not a fan of Gears, but mainly because of it's attitude and the way it looks, this is a lot more interesting. Some dirty DC neighborhood, very cool.

Cliffy if you're reading the thread, come in and openly discuss your secret projects with us.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
So, someone reasonably give me an estimate as to when video cards that will run this properly are coming? Late this year or early next? I'm going to hop on another video card around February of next year so I want to have top rate choices when the time comes. I'm likely going with a higher range budget as I may be upgrading RAM and the GPU this time instead of doing an entire build.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
VG247 said:
“This is our proposal for what the next generation of gaming is going to be,” Rein said as the demo began.

We were immediately introduced rain-spattered neon sign proclaiming “powered by Unreal technology.” The scene: a gritty, dilapidated cityscape. It’s night time, and the streets are slick with rain. All manner of signs and electrical lights are reflected in the gloomy mix of rain and atmosphere that’s pooled on the ground. Par for the course with modern games, though, right? Here’s the thing, though: all of it honestly, actually – no hyperbole – looks like CG.

“The whole idea behind this is to tell the hardware manufacturers that this is what you should be doing down the road,” Rein explained while the demo rolled.

Next up, we were introduced to a trench coat-clad, cigarette smoking man who was attempting to break a chain with a welding tool. Shades of Deus Ex? You don’t know the half of it. While the man did his presumably dirty deed, we were given a close up on his face, which was coated in tiny rivulets of rain. The man himself was expressive, his face subtly shifting and cringing as he focused on his work. Meanwhile, light from the welder reflected on his face, dancing about as the flame sparked and sizzled.

After the chain’s brittle links gave way, the man smoothly lit his cigarette with his welder. Then he heard something. Quickly scaling a nearby roof, he glimpsed multiple armor-clad soldiers kicking an elderly woman curled up in the fetal position on the ground. And that’s when things got interesting. The man turned his skin into some form of hyper detailed rock – craggy and detailed down to each individual pebble – and leaped right into the fray. He proceeded to brutally punch two of the soldiers, shattering one’s face mask and revealing a grimace that looked just about ready to collapse in on itself underneath. With those two dispatched, he shot the third straight through the head, leaving him slumped against a nearby billboard.

Next up, another celebratory cigarette, because why not? This guy’s so cool, cigarettes are afraid of getting lung cancer from him. But as he prepared to take another puff, a giant, house-sized “Samaritan” robot sneaked up behind him. He turned to meet it, noting its colossal size, and then did what any logical man would: turned to stone and started punching. End of demo.

Some things to note: this was only a tech demo – not a new game. Not that we’d mind if Epic made a Deus Ex-like action game, but we digress. Also crucial: Rein noted that the demo was running on three Nvidia GTX 580s. For the non-technophiles among you, that’s off-the-shelf, readily available (albeit ultra high-end) hardware. You may very well own a similar configuration right now. Also, while the screens below are definitely indicative of what the demo looked like, they don’t do the fluidity of movement, animation, and physics justice at all. Again, this looked like a highly choreographed CG movie, but in reality, many of those things were being calculated by robust physics engines. The Epic staffers running the demo then proved that to us, replaying the demo and detaching the camera, zooming in and out, and showing us how things looked with physics turned on and off.

At the end of the day, though, this isn’t Unreal 4. It’s still definitely Unreal 3, Rein was quick to clarify. He added, however, that if this were to be given a number, it’d be Unreal 3.975. He also noted that this is a bigger leap than the one between Unreal 2 and Unreal 3 – and it shows. On top of that, it’s versatile as all get-out.

“Another thing that’s awesome is that the engine now scales all the way from an iPhone 3GS up to next-generation hardware. That means you could theoretically make a game that’d run on every single one of these devices. Mobile phones to tablets to set top boxes,” said Rein.

The coolest part of all? All this technology is in Unreal licensees hands today. When Epic updates, so does everyone else. The whole gaming industry’s been sort of reluctant about a next generation of consoles, but Epic – and the rest of the tech business – have other plans.

“If the next game consoles can’t do this, well, Apple increased their iPad by nine times today,” Rein said.

Them be fightin’ words, gaming industry. It appears, however, that Epic will be providing your most powerful weapon.
Source: http://www.vg247.com/2011/03/03/epi...he-next-generation-of-gaming-is-going-to-be”/

Blizzard

Banned
It's perhaps important to note that tech demos from Epic can be pretty demanding as far as I know. If anyone saw the jungle-ish tech demo with day/night lighting, cinematic fly-through camera etc., it goes down to like 12fps or lower with my 5850. You can still edit the level and walk around in it I think, which is cool, but the actual tech demo part and flythrough is the main focus.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Quite impressive that they're running it in realtime on current hardware. 3x GTX 580 will be 1x something soon enough.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
ITT: People claim games look better than they actually do on a technical level because they have no idea what they are talking about and just post examples of games with good art direction.

Looks incredible! :O

Triple SLI 580....sweet Jebus. My lowly GTX 275 quivers in the presence of the 580.

And here I would be glad if I can afford just one!

Well, triple sli-gtx580.

That's like 4.5 gb of vram.

The gtx590 is going to be 2/3 of that.

And of course this doesn't mean anything, since we're talking about a tech demo.

Next-gen is going to be fun.

LiquidMetal14

EviLore said:
Quite impressive that they're running it in realtime on current hardware. 3x GTX 580 will be 1x something soon enough.
For a reasonable price and hopefully available by this time next year, I will bite.

No estimates on actual HW though or is this really looking into something like 1 or 2 years down the line for this to be feasible?

And of course this is not an actual built game yet. I would assume that will require a decent setup.

Good that the large screens are out so we can see the difference MSAA makes. I wonder how much is applied (4x maybe?), and what framerate it all runs at.

StuBurns

Banned
Pardon my ignorance, is the three SLI 580's rendering real time at the resolution those stills are in? Because presumably then for a consumer you wouldn't need that anyway.

Hawk269

jackdoe said:
Tri-SLI with GTX 580s? Wow.

No shit man. I have one GTX580 that I have oveclocked to 900mhz and it is an amazing card, but the stock cards sell for $500 a pop, so three of them is $1500.00. I am not sure in what world rein thinks a console manufacturer can put that much hardware into a sub-$400 console..even 2 years down the road, I would think the 580's would be selling for about 250 a pop.

Did they mention the resolution that demo was running at? Console tech in the next 2-3 years will be maxing at 1080p since that is what most consumers will have..so I would think it was at 1080p.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
metareferential said:
Well, triple sli-gtx580.

That's like 4.5 gb of vram.

The gtx590 is going to be 2/3 of that.

And of course this doesn't mean anything, since we're talking about a tech demo.

Next-gen is going to be fun.

Physically 4.5GB, effectively 1.5GB.

LiquidMetal14

Hawk269 said:
No shit man. I have one GTX580 that I have oveclocked to 900mhz and it is an amazing card, but the stock cards sell for $500 a pop, so three of them is $1500.00. I am not sure in what world rein thinks a console manufacturer can put that much hardware into a sub-$400 console..even 2 years down the road, I would think the 580's would be selling for about 250 a pop.

Did they mention the resolution that demo was running at? Console tech in the next 2-3 years will be maxing at 1080p since that is what most consumers will have..so I would think it was at 1080p.
Many things to consider. Not everyone plays at 1080p so with lower res, maybe you need just 2 580's? I would like to see at what res they were rendering, looks really high so that benchmark of 3 in SLI is legit. But again, a real game will tax things even further. This may require a full reboot of a system if you're really antiquated. I feel like I have enough in my 2500k but I am willing to go with the next tier of 1155 Intel CPU's and 1 card that is capable of this if it's under 1k. I may need a new PSU but this is still quite exciting to ponder.

Chris_C

I fail to understand how folks can possibly say BF3 looks better from a technical POV. BF3's major advantage is that it was shown running real time gameplay, but the level of detail in these UE3 shots is an order of magnitude higher than what we saw in the (seriously impressive) BF3 demo.

SSS, Bokeh DOF, lighting and shadow quality is all much, much better than what we saw in BF3

LiquidMetal14

Chris_C said:
I fail to understand how folks can possibly say BF3 looks better from a technical POV. BF3's major advantage is that it was shown running real time gameplay, but the level of detail in these UE3 shots is an order of magnitude higher than what we saw in the (seriously impressive) BF3 demo.

SSS, Bokeh DOF, lighting and shadow quality is all much, much better than what we saw in BF3
Again, 1 is a basically a high end current gen PC game and the other seems to be a next gen tech piece. Not the most fair comparison. You have to be really happy that current PC HW can pull something like BF3 off though. Really impressive tech DICE is exhibiting.

fernoca

It does look good.
But at the same time, it's just a demo. I mean, if they re-made Gears of War 3 (or any game) and had it running and playable with all that detail I'd be more impressed.

Zeliard

Looks great.

Bulletstorm 2 is going to be one handsome game. This level of tech coupled with that art? Gorgeous.

I can't wait for next gen.. imagine the improvements Naughty Dog and GG can make with updated hardware running on their current engines

Chris_C

LiquidMetal14 said:
Again, 1 is a basically a high end current gen PC game and the other seems to be a next gen tech piece. Not the most fair comparison. You have to be really happy that current PC HW can pull something like BF3 off though. Really impressive tech DICE is exhibiting.

I'm not debating the fact that that they're both extremely impressive, or that one is essentially a tech demo. What I'm saying is that people who are trying to say that the BF3 demo "looks better" are kind of nuts.

I also can't believe folks who say the assets in this tech demo are not much improved over those found in current games.

EviLore said:
Physically 4.5GB, effectively 1.5GB.

Yes; that's why I believe sometime down the line we'll get those performances with a single consumer gpu.

We need to know the resolution the demo was running at; if it's a crazy high one, then we could probably run the tech demo at 1080p on current hardware ourselves.

FoxSpirit

EviLore said:

When this happens I think Sony and MS should start plotting down their next hardware gen.

With that kind of graphical leap, people are bound to notice. Not to forget having Frostbite 2 on full quality.
And hey, maybe CryEngine 3 will also look great once they patch in Dx11, demos looked great :p

So yeah, please wait for the next console gen a bit more so we will have AAA titles which look like that.

whitehawk

Banned
Next-gen consoles better be able to bring graphics like this. If I have to wait until 2013 then so be it. There's no point in an upgrade unless the update is substantial, and that's what I'm seeing with this tech demo.

LiquidMetal14

Chris_C said:
I'm not debating the fact that that they're both extremely impressive, or that one is essentially a tech demo. What I'm saying is that people who are trying to say that the BF3 demo "looks better" are kind of nuts.

I also can't believe folks who say the assets in this tech demo are not much improved over those found in current games.
I think it's the whole thing about not actually being there with competent HW that can do that or games that take advantage of this yet. At this point this feels like a look into what seems to be 1 or 2 years away in gaming progression. Exciting but I would feel more compelled if I knew a timeline of when this is happening. I am eager to put some good money into a video card that can do this.

whitehawk said:
Next-gen consoles better be able to bring graphics like this. If I have to wait until 2013 then so be it. There's no point in an upgrade unless the update is substantial, and that's what I'm seeing with this tech demo.
Exactly. This is why I want my first substantial upgrade to be able to run this with ease. I expect the first tier of cards to look like that at high res with playable frame rates. And I expect a 1 card solution as not everyone can afford to put in 1k worth of upgrades on a yearly basis.

Zzoram

Well roughly every 2 years the highest end single GPU gets doubled in power.

In 2-3 years we should have a single GPU better than 3x GTX580 especially considering SLi doesn't scale linearly.

For those who haven't seen it:

GDC 2010 Nvidia hair demo

So good. I hope to never see Mass Effect style hair in any more games once the next generation hits. Will be so disappointed if I do. That next gen Unreal engine dude's hair seems to be indicating that I might get my way!

Haunted

brb going to watch Blade Runner again.

Also, this totally unrelated tech demo somehow managed to make me more excited for the new Deus Ex. :p

n0b

Chris_C said:

Extremely efficient but still amazing looking assets are infinitely more impressive to me than ridiculously wasteful tech demo assets. Besides that, the lighting in Battlefield still outclasses this by a ridiculous amount (and I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't dynamic like BF3's is) and in terms of actual engine effects the only thing that this has above BF3 is the Bokeh.

Good art design? Sure. But this is pretty much a Bokeh DOF on a wasteful amount of polygons.

I would bet that those assets in Frostbite 2 would be even more impressive, and that without the Bokeh and the Tesselation on the character that Unreal demo wouldn't even be all that impressive anyway.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Chris_C said:

I wouldn't say that at all. If they could get this IQ in an actual game without a huge performance drop I'd be impressed though. UE3.0 games run at 60fps/1080p/4xAA on even middling PC hardware. I don't expect that out of BF3.

Why For? said:
Looks amazing, but let's be honest, we all know console games won't look like that next gen.

They just wont.

They'll look like current pc-games; and pc-games will end up - with a good amount of patience, money, mods and whatever - looking just like that.

It's a win-win situation xD

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
n0b said:
Extremely efficient but still amazing looking assets are infinitely more impressive to me than ridiculously wasteful tech demo assets. Besides that, the lighting in Battlefield still outclasses this by a ridiculous amount (and I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't dynamic like BF3's is) and in terms of actual engine effects the only thing that this has above BF3 is the Bokeh.

Good art design? Sure. But this is pretty much a Bokeh DOF on a wasteful amount of polygons.

I would bet that those assets in Frostbite 2 would be even more impressive, and that without the Bokeh and the Tesselation on the character that Unreal demo wouldn't even be all that impressive anyway.
Somehow I don't feel like this is a solid argument.

Top Bottom