• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2017 - Time to get GAMEDUMPED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jalal

AMD VEGA:

Holy crap:
AMD-Radeon-Instinct_Final-for-Distribution-page-017.jpg

Can anyone explain this? Passively cooled video cards?

Aaron D.

EA:
(3 Points) - RimWorld
(2 Points) - Divinity: Original Sin 2
(1 Point) - Secrets of Grindea

Similar story to DH2: RimWorld made me understand why people love simulation/management style games. This would be my 2016 GOTY if EA games were eligible, but in a way I'm glad that it's still in a state where further development is implied. The game is already insanely deep, especially given the great modding community, but refinement of the world map introduced in A16 could turn this into the "I'll play this for the next decade" game that I really want it to be.

What I find interesting about RimWorld is that I could see it being in Early Access in perpetuity ala Minecraft. The game has already been in Alpha and available for purchase since 2013, with layer upon layer of complexity being added over the past 3 years.

In spite of being Alpha, it seems like the game launched in a relatively full-featured state, with new features only sweetening the pot along the way. Maybe it's more like Dwarf Fortress, which has been in a perpetual state of evolution over the past decade.

Anyway, like you RimWorld was one of my absolute favorites of 2016 and one of those evergreen titles that I can see myself enjoying for years to come. What a standout achievement in a year absolutely overflowing with premium experiences.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
For this Momodora game, do i need to have played the other 3?

Also, what kind of RPG is Xanadu Next most like? And how come this game has basically been never mentioned outside of this thread? =/

You can play Momodora 4 alone and still have fun. Momodora 1 and 2 are free and 3 is relatively cheap so if you want to get into them just go for the full package since its not an hassle ;)

Tizoc

So y'all haven't heard about the rumor tht BG&E2 is exclusive to Switch for One year?

For this Momodora game, do i need to have played the other 3?

Also, what kind of RPG is Xanadu Next most like? And how come this game has basically been never mentioned outside of this thread? =/

It's similar to Ys OiF's combat but with light puzzles and more focus on exploration ala Legend of Zelda games.
The leveling up is more RPGish but is simple to pick up.

So y'all haven't heard about the rumor tht BG&E2 is exclusive to Switch for One year?

It's similar to Ys OiF's combat but with light puzzles and more focus on exploration ala Legend of Zelda games.
The leveling up is more RPGish but is simple to pick up.

Yup, seems to be moneyhatted. Still kinda funny to see some people upset by that only when it's not on their platform of choice.

ghostlight_ross

Ghostlight
Not sure if any of you are interested but we're planning on running a Q&A* on an upcoming Ghostlight blog post.

So if any of you have any questions you'd like us to answer on Ghostlight in general or our work, then please do ask (by message preferably as I might miss posts in this thread when I come to compile the questions)

*This definitely isn't because I've just found out we're going to have to delay an announcement until a contract is signed

Not sure if any of you are interested but we're planning on running a Q&A* on an upcoming Ghostlight blog post.

So if any of you have any questions you'd like us to answer on Ghostlight in general or our work, then please do ask (by message preferably as I might miss posts in this thread when I come to compile the questions)

*This definitely isn't because I've just found out we're going to have to delay an announcement until a contract is signed

Sure Ross. Where's Disaster Report for Steam ???
As for the usual, I'd guess why isn't Atlus working with you guys ? But I guess that's because they don't seem to hot on porting back catalog :p

More seriously though: How do you get the whole porting process done ? Is it you or the developper/publisher who makes the first step to make it happen ?

OneUh8

I just can't get into the mystery bundle type things. I think it is cool, but I hate the feeling of getting things I already own. GAMEPUMP does sound cool though.

Tizoc

Those are the only games to be released for this month?

Get ready pal cuz I'm about TO BLOW YOUR MIND
LITERALLY BLOW YOUR MIND

Did you know that YOU, yes YOU, by yourself can check what games are gonna release on Steam?!
http://store.steampowered.com/search/?category1=998&os=win&filter=comingsoon

All you gotta do is go to the Steam main page and click on Upcoming to see what's coming to steam within the next months!

Other releases for this month include Tales of Berseria and Double Dragon 4.

Tizoc

My mind is blown.

Large Professor
My Mind is Blown
(Today, 07:35 PM)

Wait by message you mean PM you?
Cuz I've compiled a quick list of stuff you should totally try to get on Steam
Wild Guns Reloaded
METAL WOLF CHAOS
Disaster Report series
CiNG's catalog
METAL WOLF CHAOS
Brandish: Dark Revenant
Anything Falcom
El Shaddai
Winds of Thunder (this is a game that I am certain will appeal to you based on your Twitter description ;))
METAL WOLF CHAOS
Shadows of the Damned
Lollipop Chainsaw

Those are a few off the top of my head atm.

Durante

Madn

Regarding Gamepump:

Q: HOW WILL I DOWNLOAD THE GAMES?

A: Every month, you'll receive an email letting you know the new game has been unlocked. Soon, all subscribers will have user accounts which will automatically unlock their game. By default, you will receive a DRM-Free version of the game, however you can elect to instead receive a Steam key.

Does that mean that if I choose the Steam key I won't be able to get the DRM-free version?

Axass

header.jpg

So, rdytoroll gifted me Prince of Persia (2008) back around Christmas time. I was somewhat depressed and needed a relaxing game to play, this was definitely a good choice: played it while listening to podcasts and Youtube videos and tried not to think about problems.

On the technical side of things the cel-shading has the game hold up to this very day and the soundtrack is very atmospheric and apt for the setting. Too bad you spend most of the time in the grey devastated world, and much less in the colourful restored one, because it's really beautiful to traverse.

While the game was a nice relaxing ride, it gets repetitive very quick: the obstacles and climbable elements are only a dozen different kinds, the enemies are in varied sizes, but pretty much all samey mechanics-wise, the mid-bosses have a little more personality, but nothing memorable. The jumping and climbing feel somehow automatic, because the devs clearly show where and what you can do, and have placed all the obstacles with a clear and discrete timing in mind. After a while you can just go on and on with no effort.

It's basically "open-world" Prince of Persia, offering you to choose your own way, but making so that every route is basically the same, as the structure of the game gets soon very predictable: get new power, free the four fountains, fight boss, escape boss room, repeat until final confrontation.

The fighting is spectacular to see, but it's basically a bunch of stringed commands alternated with QTEs; speaking of which, the new powers you acquire through the game are a huge let down, being just glorified, easy QTEs themselves.

The plot isn't anything special but you do build a cool relationship with Elika throughout the game: she is constantly there for you, you can talk with her and she helps you fight. I loved that you never feel alone in an unwelcoming world (a la Metroid), but that there's always someone you can count on. Speaking of which, the fact you can't die, thanks to Elika constantly saving you, is a non-issue: it works just like the sand in the PoP trilogy on PS2, while working as a checkpoint system as well.

The ending is pretty abrupt, but also somewhat unexpected. I understand people not liking it, but I didn't mind it. The actual ending of the DLC, that I watched on Youtube, is atrocious and much less poetic and interesting, basically serving as a hook for a sequel that never came.

All in all it's a serviceable game, relaxing if you're into that mindset, but nothing to write home about. It has great ideas, but it's too repetitive for its own good.

Sent a question your way ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom