• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dengeki hints at possible Demon's Souls 2 announcement?

Euphor!a

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
You people are nuts. There's only one way to improve Demon's Souls: make it possible to play Demon's Souls anywhere in the world.

I'll be happy with it on PS3 too, but portable Demon's Souls... I'd never do anything else again.

I stand by my opinion that it would be the most disappointing thing in gaming, there are some games that can translate well to portables and some that can't. Demon's Souls can't, at least not how we see it. It would need to be radically changed and a lot of what made Demon's Souls what it is would have to be compromised to better suit the handheld platform.

Bebpo

Banned
There is not going to be a PSP Demon Souls.

Demon Souls sold the most in the US of A. Japanese companies are not blind and deaf. They know that PSP market is DEAD in the US, while the console market is fine. They'll put it on a platform that can sell well in the US again and maybe sell more in Japan this time around. Since Sony owns the rights, that means PS3.

UNLESS From really wants to get it on X360 and PC too since Americans love the game and there's a lot of non-PS3 owning Americans. In this case I could see them do a "spiritual successor" that's multiplatform. But then again the DEMON SOULS brand has become too strong, so I don't think they can ditch that for now and thus PS3 is the platform for any future sequels.

Dragona Akehi said:
I'm sorry, but "atmosphere" is such bullshit. Demon's Souls looks nice and all, but the artstyle could definitely be done "justice" on the PSP.

A better reason to keep it off the portables would be the online functionality (which I had to be reminded about *cough*) and possibly a lack of buttons on the PSP.

I am not saying its a graphical tour de force but much of the game has this great sense of scale and does a excellent job making you feel so outmatched. The first time you see the dragons soar over the bridge and the the power ranger tower night for instance you just think how the fu#$ am I killing that guy or how am I getting over there. I think that feeling of exploration would be lost.

Dragona Akehi said:
I'm sorry, but "atmosphere" is such bullshit. Demon's Souls looks nice and all, but the artstyle could definitely be done "justice" on the PSP.

A better reason to keep it off the portables would be the online functionality (which I had to be reminded about *cough*) and possibly a lack of buttons on the PSP.

how is it bullshit? the game has amazing atmosphere, it's one of the FEW games that do night/darkness well. it's awesome to be glued to the TV while exploring the levels.

on a PSP with that tiny screen... ehh... not so much.

besides, the game is mapped PERFECTLY to the PS3 controller, i would cry if i had to play it on a damn awkward handheld.

BruceLeeRoy said:
I am not saying its a graphical tour de force but much of the game has this great sense of scale and does a excellent job making you feel so outmatched. The first time you see the dragons soar over the bridge and the the power ranger tower night for instance you just think how the fu#$ am I killing that guy or how am I getting over there. I think that feeling of exploration would be lost.

Hi.

astroturfing said:
how is it bullshit? the game has amazing atmosphere, it's one of the FEW games that do night/darkness well. it's awesome to be glued to the TV while exploring the levels.

Go on.

on a PSP with that tiny screen... ehh... not so much.

That's where you lost right there.

besides, the game is mapped PERFECTLY to the PS3 controller, i would cry if i had to play it on a damn awkward handheld.

MH works.

Please be true

Game of the year and game of the generation for me.

Oh and if it goes PSP route I swear I would kill some poor bastard !!

Kyoufu

I'm with Dragona on this. There is no reason why a PSP can't do Demon's Souls justice. In fact it'd probably be one hell of a hit in Japan if it followed the MH model a little more, like actually implementing a non-shitty friend invite system for co-op.

Euphor!a

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
Hi.

Go on.

That's where you lost right there.

MH works.

You keep referencing Monster Hunter PSP, not only does it not succeed nearly as well as Demon's Souls does in the atmosphere department the control scheme is far simpler.

I would probably argue that no handheld game does atmosphere well at all, at least not compared to their console counterparts.

Majmun

Ehh, I'm all for a PSP version if it can match the console version. But a console version would definitely be better on all aspects.

The only thing a PSP version has is its portability. I could live without that.

I mean, the current DS is awesome, and a sequel on the console would only mean that it's going to be better. Why negelect graphics, sound and overall presentation for a portable sequel?

it actually angers me that people would be OK with it being on PSP, lol.

i've put well over 1000 hours into Demon's Souls and it's become my favorite game ever (last 20+ years), but i would not even touch the sequel if it was on PSP. i'm 100% against a PSP version. i hate the damn machine, cannot play on it. handhelds frustrate the hell out of me. i have a DS and a dozen games but never played any of them for more than an hour or so, because it's simply aggravating.

i cant understand the love for handhelds. it sucks that they are so popular in Japan that they get so many franchises that would be far better (for me at least) on better hardware and bigger screens...

could be just me though... i'm a bad gamer or something.

astroturfing said:
it actually angers me that people would be OK with it being on PSP, lol.

i've put well over 1000 hours into Demon's Souls and it's become my favorite game ever (last 20+ years), but i would not even touch the sequel if it was on PSP. i'm 100% against a PSP version. i hate the damn machine, cannot play on it. handhelds frustrate the hell out of me. i have a DS and a dozen games but never played any of them for more than an hour or so, because it's simply aggravating.

i cant understand the love for handhelds. it sucks that they are so popular in Japan that they get so many franchises that would be far better (for me at least) on better hardware and bigger screens...

could be just me though... i'm a bad gamer or something.

You shouldn't be angry that people have different tastes than you. They're allowed to have them, same as you are. Doesn't make anyone right or wrong...or a bad gamer.

Some people don't like fps games or online multiplayer, some people don't like handhelds. I'm not a fan of handhelds myself, so hell no to Demon's Souls PSP from me.

KuroNeeko

As much as I really liked Demon's Souls, I can't help but hope for a new Kingsfield that captures the feel of the first one they put out about 15 years ago.

Either that, or a good successor to the Tenchu series - I'm talking like Tenchu San and Kurenai.

Maybe they could make a Tenchu / Demon's Souls hybrid?

I'll go away now...

A.R.K

Euphor!a said:
Aside from the very obvious control issues?

Aside from you missing the joke? ;)

Honestly I can't play hand held games for long either. Specially when PSP doesn't have dual sticks (try playing a TPS shooter and it sucks). Why Sony didn't put a second stick is just a big WTF to me. If they did not screw that up, think about the possiblities of remote play!! You could play any PS3 game if the devs enabled the feature. I hope they have dual sticks on PSP2 if that ever happens.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
If it goes to PSP I may have to fucking quit Japanese PS3 gaming.

Parasite Eve was bad. Valkyria was murder. If, somehow, under some abhorrent master plan, this too goes to handhelds I'll see no other way but to bail and cry.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Dear from software,
make demon souls 2 psp compatible a la lair.
then issue a restraining order against dragona so that she may not approach within 100 meters of your developers.

thanks,
pandaman

BruceLeeRoy said:
That did look really good but not really what I am talking about. Did you play DS?
Did u read/post in the Demon's Souls thread?

I agree however that that pales in comparison to Demon's Souls even though it wasn't much of a looker to begin with. DS2 can only look better than DS if it's on PS3, so i'm excited.

BruceLeeRoy said:
That did look really good but not really what I am talking about. Did you play DS?

acspqf.jpg

Now, let's go back to your previous post:

BruceLeeRoy said:

Yeah that's pretty Monster Hunter right there, in terms of that feeling. You really ought to try it.

Pandaman said:
Dear from software,
make demon souls 2 psp compatible a la lair.
then issue a restraining order against dragona so that she may not approach within 100 meters of your developers.

thanks,
pandaman

I will be ecstatic regardless of what platform it comes out on. I do admit to have a bit of a handheld preference, but I love to play games, not bitch about what platform they end up on.

BobTheFork said:
I'm hoping they don't continue the DS1 story and find another reason for you to be slaying Demons.

Agree. I think alternate worlds/kingdoms/etc would be great. I don't want a futuristic post apocalyptic thing either. They can develop a new IP for that and I'd be all over it, but I want DS2 to have a similar theme/setting

Baki said:
The question is, will Demon Souls ever come to Europe?

I don't think SCEE has the balls to do it, and, IIRC, Atlus said they won't do it.

Reneledarker said:
PSP game.
Demon's Hunter.
Focus on co-op, hunting big ass demon's.

I would not be surprised considering all the MH clones (PSP, GE, Agito). But if that was the case I'd expect a spin off and not DS2, though if they do new worlds/settings then it wouldn't matter anyways. Though if they were doing a portable version, I'd prefer they waited until the PSP2 launched with dual analogs.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
BobTheFork said:
I will buy an import of this day one without question not matter the cost if true!
That said, I don't just want more of the same from DS, the unique experience was part to the love.

You better believe it! Getting import as soon as its released! Then again depends how far the us version is... a few days wont bother but 6 moths, year... yep import is mine!

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Dragona Akehi said:
I will be ecstatic regardless of what platform it comes out on. I do admit to have a bit of a handheld preference, but I love to play games, not bitch about what platform they end up on.
some of us accidentally our psp's and are bitter enough about valkyria. :p

I also don't really see how you can maintain the games fluid 3D gameplay given the psp's control scheme.

Pandaman said:
some of us accidentally our psp's and are bitter enough about valkyria. :p

I also don't really see how you can maintain the games fluid 3D gameplay given the psp's control scheme.

If From said they were getting Demon's Souls running on a Speccy, I'd still be first in line.

Dragona Akehi said:
MH works.
Barley.

I'll buy it on whatever platform it shows up on, but playing it on a PSP doesn't seem like fun at all to me. I don't even want to imagine how they would map everything.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Dragona Akehi said:
You people are nuts. There's only one way to improve Demon's Souls: make it possible to play Demon's Souls anywhere in the world.

I'll be happy with it on PS3 too, but portable Demon's Souls... I'd never do anything else again.
That's because you play it without all of the online features everybody else likes.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Dragona Akehi said:
If From said they were getting Demon's Souls running on a Speccy, I'd still be first in line.
I'd... maybe buy the artbook and continue to yearn for a folklore portable.

Bebpo

Banned
Y2Kev said:
That's because you play it without all of the online features everybody else likes.

Wait, Dragona plays DS without the online?
uh...ok that explains a lot.

The online function was the best part of the game and what was truly "next-gen" about it and advanced the jrpg genre. I couldn't imagine playing Demon Souls without the online aspect of it.

Paracelsus

Awkward PSP controls would be a nightmare with such a hard game. Better just to put Dot 3D Heroes 2 on PSP and leave Demon's Souls on PS3. Pretty please.

Kyoufu

Y2Kev said:

The online features are a sham. Who actually enjoys it?

You have to be in soul form (ie. dead) to be able to join someone and if you wanted to play with your friends, you'd have to make sure you are in human form (ie. alive) while they are in soul form. Uuuuuuuuuuggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Then there is the danger of being invaded by a Black Phantom as you're trying to summon your friends at the entrance. Better not die to him or you won't be able to play with your friends until you kill a boss. WHAT THE FUCK?!

Fuck online mode on Demon's Souls. It is definitely unique but..Fun? Convenient? Accessible? ehh.....

Bebpo said:
There is not going to be a PSP Demon Souls.

Demon Souls sold the most in the US of A. Japanese companies are not blind and deaf. They know that PSP market is DEAD in the US, while the console market is fine. They'll put it on a platform that can sell well in the US again and maybe sell more in Japan this time around.
Well, that certainly applied for Valkyria 2, eh?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
mjc said:
I'm thinking they might give Atlus a first shot since they took the chance with the first one.
they certainly deserve it.

how does DS us sales measure up to other atlus games?

Paracelsus

Segata Sanshiro said:
Oh, that's right. I forgot they aren't a Japanese company.

Do you expect anything more than a Western fiasco for VC2? It's not like Japanese sales will make up for the failure, you know.

Anyway, enough off-topic, let's just hope they know what they are doing with the sequel.

LM4sure

Banned
I would be interested in a sequel only if there was a bit more structure to it. The first game was too confusing. I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing. The difficulty was fine; it was the fact that I had no idea what to do

Top Bottom