• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dengeki hints at possible Demon's Souls 2 announcement?

Paracelsus said:
Do you expect anything more than a Western fiasco for VC2? It's not like Japanese sales will make up for the failure, you know.

Anyway, enough off-topic, let's just hope they know what they are doing with the sequel.
Oh, it was absolutely a bad decision on their part. The Japanese sales haven't shown any real increase over the PS3 game and the US sales will be meager.

I was merely pointing out that a Japanese company can and has made this kind of decision in the past, so Bebpo shouldn't be quite so sure of himself.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
LM4sure said:
I would be interested in a sequel only if there was a bit more structure to it. The first game was too confusing. I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing. The difficulty was fine; it was the fact that I had no idea what to do

I think that is part of its charm... I loved it that I wasn t hand fed all the information, but actually had to search for it in the game or net! That was a complete throwback to old school gaming... to me thats a lot of its charm!

Bebpo

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Oh, it was absolutely a bad decision on their part. The Japanese sales haven't shown any real increase over the PS3 game and the US sales will be meager.

I was merely pointing out that a Japanese company can and has made this kind of decision in the past, so Bebpo shouldn't be quite so sure of himself.

I'm pretty sure VC2 was made primarily for the JPN gamers. I don't have the numbers. Did Valkyria really sell 'that' much in the US?

Bebpo

Banned
Kyoufu said:
The online features are a sham. Who actually enjoys it?

You have to be in soul form (ie. dead) to be able to join someone and if you wanted to play with your friends, you'd have to make sure you are in human form (ie. alive) while they are in soul form. Uuuuuuuuuuggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Then there is the danger of being invaded by a Black Phantom as you're trying to summon your friends at the entrance. Better not die to him or you won't be able to play with your friends until you kill a boss. WHAT THE FUCK?!

Fuck online mode on Demon's Souls. It is definitely unique but..Fun? Convenient? Accessible? ehh.....

Who are youuuuuu.

First of all, everyone is in soul form 90% of the game.
2nd of all the black phantom stuff was easily avoidable. Just die in the nexus before heading out.
3rd of all, the co-op and bp were not the parts of the "online" experience that made the game stand out. The bloodstains were INTEGRAL to enjoying the game, the notes were neat, the ghosts provided atmosphere, and the little features like the monk boss made the game unlike any other game.

A PSP version would have to keep all that online functionality to not be an incredible step back.

Squishy

A Sequel to the game of the generation? Yes please!

I would be extremely happy even if the only thing new was different levels and bosses, but I would like to see a couple of other things;

* New spells, miracles, weapons, armour and rings

* The option to have an even more punishing difficulty level

* More challenging bosses like the Maneaters and the False King, and less like the Dragon God and Red/Blue Dragons (which are either TWANG TWANG TWANG with the bow for 10 minutes or trial and error and pulling levers). I want to actually fight the dragons like a man!

* Maybe some more open levels with nowhere to hide (like the giant goblins in 5-2) and less places to camp and pick off enemies one by one.

* A better world tendency system

Either way, I will be over the moon with any sort of sequel.

Dragona Akehi said:
Now, let's go back to your previous post:

Yeah that's pretty Monster Hunter right there, in terms of that feeling. You really ought to try it.

That clip you posted looked great. How are the controls?

Bebpo

Banned
I'd just like them to take the online even further with creative new online concepts. That + new areas/bosses/weapons/accessories would be enough.

Lightning

Banned
How about ensuring the first Demon's Souls gets released in EU before worrying about a sequel?

Man I want to play this game.

Lightning said:
How about ensuring the first Demon's Souls gets released in EU before worrying about a sequel?

It don't see it happening. They're probably worried anyone in EU who wanted it, already imported from somewhere.

Now that Sony knows it's a success, I'll bet DS2 gets an EU release.

Squishy

Kyoufu said:

You have to be in soul form (ie. dead) to be able to join someone and if you wanted to play with your friends, you'd have to make sure you are in human form (ie. alive) while they are in soul form. Uuuuuuuuuuggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Then there is the danger of being invaded by a Black Phantom as you're trying to summon your friends at the entrance. Better not die to him or you won't be able to play with your friends until you kill a boss. WHAT THE FUCK?!

Fuck online mode on Demon's Souls. It is definitely unique but..Fun? Convenient? Accessible? ehh.....

No, it's not convenient or accessible, but that's the whole idea. It's certainly not ideal for playing with friends, but I don't have any friends anyway. Regardless, that's the point; you're supposed to feel alone and you're supposed to feel vulnerable at the possibility of being invaded at any time.

In all honestly though, I would like the game to be more suitable for playing with friends, so hopefully this is something they will improve in the (potential) sequel, but the online system as it is is VERY fun.

gcubed

i was unsure of DS1, but i'll freaking plop down whatever i need to for this, DS1 was one of the best games i've played this gen

mujun

Kyoufu said:

You are f-ing crazy!

I hated being invaded but no other game has EVER given me the feeling of intense dread that Demon's Souls did when I was trying to keep my stock of souls and summon someone just to get invaded.

Most hardcore fear and relief I've ever felt in a game. Loved it.

soldat7

Demon's Souls was about as close to perfection as a game could get. I'm hoping for minor tweaks and updates, and of course, even more incredible enemies and environments to face. Please no radical overhaul like Mass Effect...

Kyoufu said:

Exactly.

Brofist

DS2 needs to happen, that's all there is to it. And no fucking Tiger Electronics versions, only a real sequel please.

Haunted

Dragona Akehi said:
Damn that looks great. If MH weren't such a constant farm/grindfest, I'd be all over it. :/

Kyoufu said:

Pretty much exactly my thoughts. The online aspects had so much potential, but the shitty design decisions basically ruined it for me. Played offline... about 90% of the time as a result. I'm with Dragona on that one.

But hey, that's why I'm excited about a sequel, they could rectify all of their mistakes of the first one!

klee123

schild said:
This was almost guaranteed. I bet Sony localizes it this time though.

I think Atlus has done a good job with reagrds to the US release. If it was SCEA we would get jack all in terms of advertisements and wouldn't get a special edition.

I want Atlus to publish again, their community support has been amazing. They deserve mad props, also whoever was responsible for the English voice work did an amazing job.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Lightning said:

Man I want to play this game.

Why don'T just buy the us version? There are a lot of shops in the EU that carry it. If not near where you live just order it online... dont really have to wait!

mujun

Haunted said:
But hey, that's why I'm excited about a sequel, they could rectify all of their mistakes of the first one!

Your parents need to have another kid so they can rectify the mistake they made with your opinion of Demon's Souls :D

Haunted

mujun said:
Your parents need to have another kid so they can rectify the mistake they made with your opinion of Demon's Souls :D
The haters can't keep me down! My voice will be heard!

You guys are just giving From a free pass instead of urging them to improve the game. :/

AMAZING. If this is true, nothing could please me more. Dibs on the OT :p For now, let's just hope this happens. Sooner or later, it will, the question is when. I wonder what they will do in terms of story for this...For me, that was one of the best things about the game. Will be weary/upset if the gloomy, foreboding atmosphere and world (Boletaria or not) are no more.

Tylahedras said:
I want Atlus to publish again, their community support has been amazing. They deserve mad props, also whoever was responsible for the English voice work did an amazing job.

Yea, they did an amazing job. The company is a small ltd called frognation, ltd. I believe they are based in England. Check out the link, interesting little read. Just thinking all of this reminds me how all the parts of the game really make the entire package. It's just a fucking ace cohesion of elements.

http://www.frognation.com/e/fn_news/company-info/index.html

Bebpo

Banned
Haunted said:
You guys are just giving From a free pass instead of urging them to improve the game. :/

Depends.

We want them to improve on the aspects they created, yes.
We don't want them to say "hey, people thought didn't work so well so let's completely change it" =P

mujun

Haunted said:
The haters can't keep me down! My voice will be heard!

It's seems "improve" is subjective in this case, I wouldn't want them to do much beyond tighten up the online. Maybe create another stone or two to mix things up or add some spells or items to make getting friends in easier but not detract from atmosphere.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Please be true!

To be truthful I'd be happy with an expanded "directors cut" of DS1 (fix the broken archstone in the nexus, and give us something to do with all the duplicate weapons acquired over multiple cycles), because I honestly think From will struggle to top the first game.

Game of the generation so far, at least in my opinion.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
fanboi said:
DS was one of the game that defined console gaming this gen. for me.

To bad I have moved on to PC....

I too play on pc, but having all 3 consoles connected to my pc screen makes all seemless... so whatever system it is, it feels pretty similar! Always rotate anyway, xbox, ps3, pc... there is always a title on one platform that pulls me in! Demon souls was what did it for the ps3 for me!

simtmb

Clear said:
Please be true!

To be truthful I'd be happy with an expanded "directors cut" of DS1 (fix the broken archstone in the nexus, and give us something to do with all the duplicate weapons acquired over multiple cycles), because I honestly think From will struggle to top the first game.

Game of the generation so far, at least in my opinion.

Agreed, i really can't quite see how they can top it at all. Would be a definite struggle. I don't see it happening.

Maybe just work on the online component a bit :S although...i don't even have problems with that, other than noticeable lag at times that made backstabbing weird, but not really their issue though it can be improved.

The only thing i want however, is that they don't change anything. Usually the gamer like me could find something to improve for the sequel, but i honestly don't see anything glaring with this game. God i love it.

soldat7 said:
Demon's Souls was about as close to perfection as a game could get. I'm hoping for minor tweaks and updates, and of course, even more incredible enemies and environments to face. Please no radical overhaul like Mass Effect...
Given this is From Software, you probably don't have to worry much about radical overhauls.

Top Bottom