• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3: Spoilers thread because people can't read titles good

jackdoe

NullPointer said:
I understand where you're coming from, but in an action game, much less a co-op action game you don't want to slow the game down with too many cinematics. Its a balance that has to be struck in order to keep your replaybility, especially in a game with an arcade scoring mode.

The balance in Gears 3 worked for some but not others. I honestly don't know if there is a way to please everybody with this kind of thing.
In-game dialogue is a simple solution (or scale back the number of questions asked within the game's plot if you know you'll be unable to properly answer them).

Vire

LiK said:
Don't lump me in with them cynical bastards. ;)
Amen.

I quite enjoyed the Gears storyline! While I didn't cry over Dom's death, I was rather upset about it at the very least. Something much more than the previous games did for me...

No need to respond to every critic out there Cliffy, I understand it's your baby and all but there are plenty of folks around here who loved Epic's work.

Campaign DLC should be a hoot.

Phonomezer said:
smh @ the people complaining about the writing and not 'getting' certain parts of the game. Really? A lot of more serious games have had far, far worse writing.

I certainly didn't.

And my favourite character, no less :(
But the problem is Gears takes itself very serious. It is a serious game, which is a problem. I think the story in three is almost offensive. Cole is one of the worst characters I have ever encountered.

I respect Cliffy and think he's a cool guy. I don't want to sit here and nitpick your game. I'm happy have at least tried and I'm happy people liked the story.

Vire

Rahxephon91 said:
But the problem is Gears takes itself very serious. It is a serious game, which is a problem. I think the story in three is almost offensive. Cole is one of the worst characters I have ever encountered.

I respect Cliffy and think he's a cool guy. I don't want to sit here and nitpick your game. I'm happy have at least tried and I'm happy people liked the story.
Takes itself seriously? Did you play the first act? The whole Cole Stadium bit was one giant gag.

It knows when to be serious, and when to poke fun at itself.

Phatcorns

Rahxephon91 said:

I don't see how anyone can look at the game as anything other than parody. The whole game is a parody of action movies and games, but the only ones who aren't in on it are the characters. I feel like in the first game they tried to actually be serious and have emotion and all that, but then were just like, let's just go all out action movie.

It's kind of like the movie Commando. The characters in the movie take everything completely seriously, but you aren't supposed to. And because of that, it can be both funny and strangely touching at the same time.

Volimar

Rahxephon91 said:
But the problem is Gears takes itself very serious.

lol wut?

Cluckshot.

Cole going down the slide.

Every other thing Baird says...

It tries to have a few heavy themes, but you really can't say it takes itself too seriously.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Nice title change. People will probably notice the difference now. On the other hand the other people already knew how to read.

jackdoe

Phatcorns said:
I don't see how anyone can look at the game as anything other than parody. The whole game is a parody of action movies and games, but the only ones who aren't in on it are the characters. I feel like in the first game they tried to actually be serious and have emotion and all that, but then were just like, let's just go all out action movie.

It's kind of like the movie Commando. The characters in the movie take everything completely seriously, but you aren't supposed to. And because of that, it can be both funny and strangely touching at the same time.
Yeah. Because the "Mad World" scene was definitely aiming to be a parody!

I suppose if the next games will be prequels as everyone is speculating then it would explain why they left a lot of the origin questions unanswered.

Kimosabae

Banned
Just wanted to say for Cliffy's sake, that Gear 3 is amazing. I didn't expect to like this game nearly as much as I did (thus far - I've only finished the campaign). I went from considering returning to the game prior to the Locust's appearance (REALLY don't like Lambent) to gathering a true appreciation for the effort that went into this game. The final Chapters simply blew me away. The last stage in particular seemed to be very much inspired by Uncharted 2, and I LOVED it.

Hopefully, the game's momentum carries into MP for me. I've never liked the 3rd person perspective, but I think I'm going to give this game a true effort.

*edit*

Oh yeah...

CliffyB said:
The GAF crowd can be somewhat cynical. If you go to Youtube and look up many of the cutscenes deemed "silly" or "cheesy" on here the majority of the comments over there cite how the scenes moved them, made them misty eyed, or out and out made them cry. And those of you citing Cole as some bad stereotype - guys, that's just Lester being Lester. We introduced Jace as a more laid back character as a contrast Cole's enthusiasm.

Thanks for confirming that you guys are indeed sensitive to how people may view Cole ;)

Jace could have been any ethnicity, but for this contrast to work, Jace would have to be black (unless there's some relationship between the characters I missed the player should). It works and I appreciated it, even if the conscious intention wasn't to placate whiny minorities.

LowParry

Fantastic title change. lol - as for what Cliffy said, why should we have to resort to a wiki for answers when we're (in theory) suppose to get those answers to a trilogy sequel. I mean c'mon...you're not going to go ahead and do Gears 4 are ya? ;) The story is fine. I just think in the end, the writers could of done something more extraordinary rather than obvious outcomes.

amitlu

Banned
Count me as another that likes Jace. He's just a regular soldier like everyone else and isn't playing up a stereotype. It's rare to see a minority in a video game medium playing straight man that the other characters' personalities bounce off of. Usually the every man is your generic white guy while the WACKY CRAZY minority does all the crazy shit for everyone to laugh at.

Generally though I think the Gears series has been good about not conforming to the industry standard whitewashed cast and Epic doesn't get enough credit for actually pushing some boundaries. Look at the makeup of the characters throughout the series and you'll find a racially and culturally diverse cast that isn't focused on as a point of the story. It really gives sells the setting of 'everything is fucked and we are at the brink, we don't have time to care about that petty shit anymore' that a true wartime situation would bring. Everyone is just heads down and doing their job, with people from every race and gender contributing any way they can.

And that's part of why Jace is good. He's Jace, not 'that black guy'.

Vire said:
Takes itself seriously? Did you play the first act? The whole Cole Stadium bit was one giant gag.
That was one of the most awful things ever.Is that scene supposed to be serious or parody? I don't think the game knows. It keeps going for this entire "Cole is being reflective on the star he was", hell you have Sam even make a comment to this effect. She basically tells blonde guy to let him have his reflective moment. And then it has stupid WHOO I put a bomb thing moment that is so awkward with whats going on in this scene.

"You go from the death of a jedi master to slapstick humor"

This isn't good and it's around Gears three completely. There's a difference between trying to be serious and joking and you don't smash them right up next to each other.

It knows when to be serious, and when to poke fun at itself.
No I don't but this excuse. It's just bad. Like the death scene where Adam is dying and obviously it's very serious, when you see his arm all Cole can say is "Oh shit". So is knowing to be serious then, but thinks it's ok to have a second of poking fun of it self? No this is just bad. And then after killing and chainsawing things to death we have a scene where Marcus is apparently tired of war and goes to the beach only to be comforted by Anya. This scene would have actually been fine except for the fact that is never earned. Anya is so such a shit character? Do these characters have a relationship? The only actual scene where they express something is in the ending of Gears 2 where they have a mid air hand hug or something. other then that the only reason you get a sense of relationship is because she is a girl and he is a guy.

How can this be a parody. I could have bought this before, but I don't think the game really wants to be a parody, not anymore. Not with scenes like Dom's death, which is supposed to be serious. The game doesn't treat it as parody. Not when you have Mad World playing or it treats the idea of telling everyone elses about Dom's death as some big weight. Like when Marcus asks Sam if she's ok. A conversation like that only would work in a serious story and would only be put in one. On top of that Sam is also a shitty character, we really only know she has some sort of relationship with Dom because blonde guy makes a joke about it. Other then that, her character is entirely pointless. But why else would a game put such a serious tone to the idea of Dom's death and how the characters are reacting it? It's because it whats us to treat it seriously. This isn't parody. Parody is Bulletstorm. A game that handles it's story much better then Gears 3. Where the game at the offset establishes that this is pretty much not to be taken serious.

There's nothing touching about the great movie Commando and this example doesn't work. In Commando, there isn't an attempt at actual serious thought into Arnold's actions or the bad guys actions. Arnold wants to save his daughter, that's his character. The bad guys are bad guys and that's it. Gears on the other hand attempts to show how hard Marcus' life is, just look at the ending. There's an attempt at serious Pathos in Gears. Why else would they have Mad World play or have the scene with Marcus taking off his stuff to symbolize how tired he is. That's being serious. You wont that find that in Commando. It's not attempting to appeal to emotions like Gears is. Gears wants you to feel for them, even though the characters are pretty terrible. Commando whats you to cheer for Arnold as he kills bad people. Totally different.

Rahxephon91 said:
Why else would they have Mad World play or have the scene with Marcus taking off his stuff to symbolize how tired he is.
I saw it more as a nod to the fans who have been with the series from it's beginning. Mad World was their first true ad for Gears 1 and it set a certain tone. To have that moment echoed back in Dom's death and the explosive sequence that followed was a nice touch.

Mad World

"No tomorrow"

Draft

Cliffyb in full on damage control mode.

I don't even think Michael Bay would have the balls for a selfless sacrifice set to the instrumental of Mad World. I'm sure he would have appreciated the explosion, though.

If you go to Youtube and look up many of the cutscenes deemed "silly" or "cheesy" on here the majority of the comments over there cite how the scenes moved them, made them misty eyed, or out and out made them cry.

"Racism, misspelled words and the Gears story."

yGdMs.jpg

"What are 3 things people on Youtube like."

I3rand0

Draft said:
Cliffyb in full on damage control mode.

I don't even think Michael Bay would have the balls for a selfless sacrifice set to the instrumental of Mad World. I'm sure he would have appreciated the explosion, though.

"Racism, misspelled words and the Gears story."

yGdMs.jpg

"What are 3 things people on Youtube like."

:lol

Great post.

SPEA

Just beat it. Best Gears campaign by a longgggg shot.

Pat yourself and your team on the back Cliff. You guys did a fabulous job.

Anabuhabkuss said:
My hand to God, I'm not trying to be obnoxious here.

It just occurred to me which character Jace is. For a while I thought he was the Act IV antagonist until people pointed out he served as a foil for Cole and then it hit me. That tells me how much of an impact that character served to me. I thought he was just filler. We know absolutely nothing about the guy except he likes to engage in transitory remarks to move the plot along.
You have to read the comic books and novels to have a better understanding of the universe and characters. Jace's origin story has already been explained, I won't ruin it for you but do some digging and you'll see that he has his own tale that hopefully will be explored in DLC.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Rimfya said:
This has to stop. Game stories should not be fleshed out in collectables, audio logs, comics and books. They should be supplementary, not divided up into chunks of the main narrative.

This, if you can't tell the story when I play through the game I assume you didn't care about it. Even in something like Bioshock I found the audio logs to be a boring crutch.

That said I REALLY enjoyed the gears story for the most part.

Only real question for me is WTF is myrrahh. A bit annoyed about that but everything else was great for me. A notch below what I consider the best stories in games (not going to list to avoid tangential flaming on what I pick) but certainly significantly better than your average action game with a shit story like god of war or call of duty.

Not sure if I'm actually interested in any of the single player DLC, after just finishing the story, finishing beast/horde a few times, and being finally locked out of casual multiplayer it might be time for me to pass this game on to someone else. Definitely got my money's worth though.

Edit: Went back through the thread, people are complaining about single player DLC? Really? Y'all acting as if Marcus disappears for 3 days randomly like Deus Ex or no real ending like Prince of Persia 2008.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Rahxephon91 said:

Gears takes itself as seriously as Halo. Take that as you will, but I think it's a good thing to actually try and convey a narrative but have additionally "fun" things placed in there for the hardcore easter egg hunters and for the shits and giggles.

El_Six

Neo Member
pot said:
Just beat it, I loved it. Now back to working on the achievments...

Yeah just beat it a few days, picked up limited edition yesterday local GS had a few for sale (stupid pre-order lol) I would like to see something doen with Beast mode like the 12 waves but would be awesome to go more than that. Think multiplayer got a bit better ( don't really know how to explain) basically never liked it on the first two but for some reason love it now. This was certainly a very well made trilogy story was great and gameplay was awesome.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
That's the problem. At least Halo isn't schizophrenic. On one hand you have the insanity of the Gears universe, on the other you have the guy(s) on the dev team who insist that the story is totally serious business and try and force feed a moving, impactful story on the player without really earning any of it. It's trying to have your cake and eat it too, and it just doesn't work.

AlStrong

CliffyB said:
No, it won't be the graphic novel, but it will have all new campaign content that doesn't have Marcus, Dom, Cole and Baird in it. Expect Barrick and more...

Hoping for dat redhead, Alex Brand. :3

AlexAtTheRustyNail.jpg

AdamMPSP

jackdoe said:
To be fair, that's a cop out. It frustrated me as a Lost fan, to the point that I don't even want to touch the Blu-rays that I have sitting on my shelf (since I know that most of the questions are going be left unanswered or dropped like a bad habit).

Man, I disagree with this so much, both concerning Lost and Gears 3. You might think you want the "ANSWERS," but the writers are giving you the answers that are important and the answers that matter to the story they're interested in telling. Narrative isn't an encyclopedia, and adding content to answer all the questions is unfulfilling for the artist and ultimately unfulfilling for the viewer. I like Gears a lot more because it is now a more complex story that doesn't tie everything up nicely with a bow, but still has a solid beginning, middle, and end. You know, LIKE REAL LIFE.

Volimar

AlStrong said:
Hoping for dat redhead, Alex Brand. :3

alexbrand.jpg

Don't say that on the official forums. People seem to have an intense dislike of any thread even mentioning her. But they're all in full on whine mode about everything ever since they got their way about the sawed off downing ability getting taken out. They think enough whining will get everything changed exactly how they like it.

jackdoe

AdamMPSP said:
Man, I disagree with this so much, both concerning Lost and Gears 3. You might think you want the "ANSWERS," but the writers are giving you the answers that are important and the answers that matter to the story they're interested in telling. Narrative isn't an encyclopedia, and adding content to answer all the questions is unfulfilling for the artist and ultimately unfulfilling for the viewer. I like Gears a lot more because it is now a more complex story that doesn't tie everything up nicely with a bow, but still has a solid beginning, middle, and end. You know, LIKE REAL LIFE.
Bullshit. Lost writers pretty much fucked up the complete final season, treading water, and either not answering questions they spent years building up (those definitely qualify as IMPORTANT QUESTIONS) or answering them poorly, with poorly made episodes. They wasted most of the final season on stupid bullshit and wrapped it up in the most unsatisfactory way possible. And when fan theories are more interesting than what the Lost writers gave us, then it becomes a problem.

That said, Gears does this to an extent, but nowhere to the point that Lost did it.

Wait, no one else cried when Dom died?

Monsters!

I just a few minutes ago finished the game and I thought it was a pretty great ending to the saga. I was weirdly attached these musclebound weirdoes and I thought they all got a great send off.

There were a few unanswered questions, like who Myrrah was, but emotionally, a "tomorrow" is what they'd been fighting for for three games.

I thought it was the perfect ending.

bumpkin

BenjaminBirdie said:

Monsters!

I just a few minutes ago finished the game and I thought it was a pretty great ending to the saga. I was weirdly attached these musclebound weirdoes and I thought they all got a great send off.

There were a few unanswered questions, like who Myrrah was, but emotionally, a "tomorrow" is what they'd been fighting for for three games.

It definitely made me kind of sad. His self-sacrifice bothered me more only because I could imagine how that would have felt if I were in Marcus' shoes and Dom was my best friend. I definitely think the end hit me the hardest though; both when Adam died and that quiet moment where Marcus and Anya are on the beach and she tells him "we finally have a tomorrow." I don't know why that got to me, it just did.

Volimar said:
Don't say that on the official forums. People seem to have an intense dislike of any thread even mentioning her. But they're all in full on whine mode about everything ever since they got their way about the sawed off downing ability getting taken out. They think enough whining will get everything changed exactly how they like it.

I'm curious to know why is this? What did she do?

Volimar

BenjaminBirdie said:

Monsters!

I had it spoiled for me in the chat box during one of Rod's Q&A streams. That said, I was pretty shocked that it came so soon in the game, and I definitely had basically the same reaction Baird did when he heard the news.

"Oh no."

I just wanted to say that ICE-T's character in this game was so dumb it stuck out to me as an ugly flaw on this really nice campaign.

You've got this amazing setting in this torn up city, with the dust frozen bodies of the citizens frozen in time. So creepy, so much atmosphere. I'm roaming through there with a growing anticipation of who this mysterious character might be that I'm about to meet. We go up the elevator, we're led into his "office", and it turns out to be this loud mouthed ghetto gangster. He takes my buddy hostage, sends us on an errand, and we return, only to have him cuss us out some more, and then give us the middle finger as he rides off on his ski lift.

Honestly, that entire bit played out like Epic allowed someone to write some fan fic for the game, and they included it. Cheesy characters are a part of the Gears universe, and I'm cool with that, but this character served no other purpose than to give ICE-T some voice work, and make a few people think it's cool that EPIC got ICE-T in their game. Dumb.

Other than that, it was easily the best Gears campaign to me. Wonderful conclusion to the trilogy. But no, I did not even once feel like I might cry. :p

bumpkin

BruiserBear said:
I just wanted to say that ICE-T's character in this game was so dumb it stuck out to me as an ugly flaw on this really nice campaign.

You've got this amazing setting in this torn up city, with the dust frozen bodies of the citizens frozen in time. So creepy, so much atmosphere. I'm roaming through there with a growing anticipation of who this mysterious character might be that I'm about to meet. We go up the elevator, we're led into his "office", and it turns out to be this loud mouthed ghetto gangster. He takes my buddy hostage, sends us on an errand, and we return, only to have him cuss us out some more, and then give us the middle finger as he rides off on his ski lift.

Honestly, that entire bit played out like Epic allowed someone to write some fan fic for the game, and they included it. Cheesy characters are a part of the Gears universe, and I'm cool with that, but this character served no other purpose than to give ICE-T some voice work, and make a few people think it's cool that EPIC got ICE-T in their game. Dumb.

Other than that, it was easily the best Gears campaign to me. Wonderful conclusion to the trilogy. But no, I did not even once feel like I might cry. :p
I agree on all points; almost a complete waste of a narrative thread. Marcus should've just busted him in the mouth and Delta should've taken Dizzy back by force and called it a day.

Volimar

I'm mixed. I thought the ash bodies were very touching, and the Ash Man was pretty neat. But Ice T's character was uber cheesy, and his villain exit at the end was the worst.

Infinite Justice said:
I'm curious to know why is this? What did she do?

It's what her supporters did. They really pushed for her to be in the game and every time there was some sort of reveal coming up or a comic con etc. they'd bum their posts and bet that she was going to be announced.

I'm hoping she comes in, even though she didn't come off very well in Coalition's End.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Anabuhabkuss said:
Wha...I...

What?!

Can you be more specific and cite examples? The two series are nothing alike in tone. Where is the over the top blood splatter in Halo? Where is the "bro" dialogue at? The back and forth sarcastic banter?
Did you read the rest of my post...?

Halo has shit like Skulls and intentionally left-broken physics and glitches. Gears has Mutators, and similar easter eggs of the sort. Serious game, with fun sprinkles. I'm not talking similarities in narratives.

Volimar said:
I'm hoping she comes in, even though she didn't come off very well in Coalition's End.
I wanna see her being introduced smoking a cigar and putting on her best tuff gurl act when suddenly Bernie calmly comes in, snatches the cigar from her mouth and puts it out under her awesome kitty fur boots.

Then the DLC will carry on to star the one, the only, the Boomer Lady, the awesome Sergeant McFuckyo'shitup, THE Bernie Mataki. Awwwwwww yeah.

bumpkin said:
It definitely made me kind of sad. His self-sacrifice bothered me more only because I could imagine how that would have felt if I were in Marcus' shoes and Dom was my best friend. I definitely think the end hit me the hardest though; both when Adam died and that quiet moment where Marcus and Anya are on the beach and she tells him "we finally have a tomorrow." I don't know why that got to me, it just did.
I think its because for once you really see Marcus as truly damaged in this game, both inside and out. He's just completely worn out.

Top Bottom