• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

how important is the multiplayer aspect of the Souls series to you?

One of the most important parts of the game for me. I couldn't get into Nioh as much as much as I'd like to because the endless PvE was boring to me. Once you crack the code on AI patterns, it's just repetition for the sake of repetition. Shocked at the amount of people here who don't use/care about the multi in Souls.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Completely ambivalent. Fine with or without the feature suite.

I have finished all of the games and bosses solo, but have provided co-op support for others(mostly to experience the bosses again for fun or faction grinding).

Don't really have lag issues with PVP, though I never bother with it outside of forced encounters. I can't think of a single time I ever 'opted' into PVP across 4 games actually.

I really enjoy the bloodstains and messages though.

Bloodstains/Ghosts/Messages: Extremely Important. Frankly, I wish more games did this.

Everything else: Fairly Unimportant. I like the odd PVP match, but it's certainly not a priority.

Hugely important. It makes the world feel more alive. I just wish the multiplayer components worked as they were intended to.

I love the messages (when I first played DS1, I would read all of them and leave plenty of my own to try and help people).

I love co-op. It's fun to help other people get through tough areas or bosses.

Invasions are awesome -- even the times when some jackass who beat the game at level 1 invades you and you're a total newb, it adds to the experience and makes you feel like you're in a hostile and unpredictable world.

The guilds are great, but they tend to work like shit.

Durante

Extremely important.

To clarify:
it is a point of fact that I (as well as at least one friend I'd rope into it) would have bought "Souls-likes" such as Lords of the Fallen and The Surge at launch price if they had Souls-like multiplayer, while without it I don't really have any intention of ever buying them (maybe in a sale at 85%+ off).

Qwyjibo

I like messages, ghosts, bloodstains and that overall feeling that other people are in the same world. I like the option to summon/be summoned to help someone else. I don't play PvP at all.

So, sorta but not really. If they removed the multiplayer stuff completely, it would be a mild disappointment but I'd probably forget it about quickly.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
I like everything about the multiplayer aspect, except the PVP.

I never invade anyone, nor do I care to be invaded. Helpful summons only. So it's pretty important to me, but not completely essential.

ZanDatsu

I like that the world feels like other people inhabit it to some extent, but I don't like direct contact with them be it through PVP invading or co-op play for bosses.

PvP and player interaction beyond soapstone messages and bloodstains is the least important part of the games for me. Always found the PvP pretty bad and laggy.

Invasions and multiplayer give me life.

The first time I got invaded I hid for my life. I was so scared but it was magical.

Hell sometimes when I'm invaded at inopportune times (right before hitting the bonfire at the end of the ladder hell in DSII) I hide.

I still from time to time hunt people down and spar with people for fun.

My brother and I have made vids like the ones below out of our adventures:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlJkU-znNYY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhinPr0gc8U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVysDQ6XLpE

I love the multiplayer aspects of the game, they really take it from being a good RPG to a great one.

HiiiLife

The best part of the game. I just wish doing co op was as simple as inv on a friends list. The whole password, set down the stone blah blah blah was tedious.

DemiMatt

It's really high priority once I've beaten the game the first time through - however usually by that time the coop scene has diminished significantly.

In terms of PVP / Invasions it's great to style on people who come into my world!

Aranath

I like the co-op and messages but can't stand the invasions.

I don't really use co-op too much for myself. I only use it if I'm reeeeally stuck on a boss (looking at you, Orphan of Kos) or if I'm a replay and just feel like doing it with someone else and not struggling endlessly.

But I absolutely love helping others with bosses or areas. It really gives me a much better appreciation of the bosses (their arenas, models, animations, attacks, music, etc.). When I'm fighting them myself, I'm so focused on not dying, I don't take note of much else. Not to mention, it feels good helping others.

But yeah, invasions just piss me off. I much prefer the Bloodborne system of only being invaded when you ring bells and being able to permanently stop it in the area by killing the bell ringing woman. Dark Souls's system of being able to be invaded at any time you're human/embered just annoys me endlessly. I have no interest in PvP and I hate having it forced onto me.

I would still play it but I enjoy cooping with friends/helping randoms with bosses quite a bit. I do not care about the PVP at all (it never feels good).

That said, I would still play through a souls game with no MP, the majority of my souls experiences have been single player.

kimbaka

I don't really care for it much aside from reading messages. Sometimes it helps finding hidden doors which is neat.

I think it's a very important part of the overall appeal of the series and I would be sad to see it ever go since it was one of the features of the games that helped to make its mark when DeS and DS1 became the unexpected hits they did.

Having said that, I don't have PSN on PS4. Despite putting hundreds of hours in to pvp in DS1 the soul memory crap in DS2 already soured the pvp pot for me, so I didn't particularly miss online play when I got a PS4 but decided against signing up for PSN because the only use I had for it would be the odd bit of pvp in BB every now and again. I've played the Souls games just as much offline solo as I have online - pvp was an additional bonus for me, not the main draw. I do miss co-op a bit, I always enjoyed helping others out (when twinks didn't ruin it for the host).

It adds a lot to the experience. I don't always have ps+ though so I've played a lot without multiplayer and it's still pretty fun.

Async multiplayer (messages especially) is one of the core elements for me.

Invasions are great, but they also work as single player elements. I enjoy jolly co-op, but only engage to that after beating the games.

ethomaz

Banned
Co Op and Invasions are a must if it works fine like Demon's Souls... if it is like Bloodborne then it is passable.

Outside of coop? Not very. I wish pvp wasn't a thing so we could have OP shit like in Demons Souls again that doesnt really care about MP balance.

Back in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls days I don't care about co-op/pvp at all, I didn't even give it a try.

Back then I usually just watch YouTube videos made by those well known pvp players in the Souls community. (You know, those guys. Peeve, Oroboro, OnlyAfro etc.)

Same goes to Dark Souls 2 but I dropped it soon after getting the platinum anyway. I hated that game.

Bloodborne is probably the first Souls game that I gave coop and pvp a try, and I fucking loved it.
Not trying to brag but I never thought I could be this good at Souls pvp, part of the reason why I didn't gave pvp a try is because I am afraid that I won't even last half a minute in a fight.
In Bloodborne, I'm dropping people left and right, even when going against gankers.
The Chikage, Saw Spear and the Beasthunter Saif made me UNSTOPPABLE.
I once killed about 47 players in a row without dying once, it was a good hunting day.

Dark Souls 3 pvp was also very fun to play, but not quite as exciting as Bloodborne imo. I know the pvp is technically much better than BB, but I just don't like the feel of it.

[TL;DR]
Overall I would say that it is quite important to me, but not nearly as important as the main game.
If dropping the online aspect can somehow make the singleplayer game a better experience, then I'd say do it.

Edit: I forgot to mention that coop is probably the most boring part for me, it just kind of....break the game. It's only ever fun when I am helping people out in the defiled/cursed chalice dungeons.

Its adds that extra spice.

The games would be great even without it but I enjoy the unpredictability invasions bring. I feel like they balanced not being invaded too much well.

Cant say I care for the more focused PVP stuff they tried tho.

AALLx

In Demon's, Dark, Bloodborne, and Dark 3, not important. I've played these games without doing any summoning and hardly played PvP at all. I enjoyed the games for the combat, lore, world design, and level design and didn't really mind whether I was online or not.

In Dark 2, very important. It's pretty much the entire point of the game, and my enjoyment pretty much hinges on making builds for PvP. Granted, the world design, level design, and lore are all terrible or non-existent, and combat had questionable changes that made it lesser than Dark 1 (powerstancing and 8-way rolling are the only positive changes). I'm pretty sure the game was designed to be multiplayer centric anyway.

KLoWn

I hate the invasion part of it, it's so fuckin bad, but the messages and bloodstains are great.

I could live without it, but it would be something I'd miss.

Depends, PVE multiplayer is a must, blood stains, messages, PVE covenant, ghosts, world consecuences and world buffs.

Invasions are a hit or miss for me, I dont care about PVP but I understand is a need lorewise and because sometimes to want to be a jerk and kill other people for fun.

Kyzon

It's pretty important to me. One reason that I haven't jumped on The Surge (yet) is because of the lack of multiplayer. I enjoy invasions as much as I'm frustrated by badly timed ones. I also love Co-op play with friends.

Mihos

Gold Member
Depends, PVE multiplayer is a must, blood stains, messages, PVE covenant, ghosts, world consecuences and world buffs.

Invasions are a hit or miss for me, I dont care about PVP but I understand is a need lorewise and because sometimes to want to be a jerk and kill other people for fun.

Same for me, I like being summoned and summoning people I don't ever have to talk to

I am good at PvP, but honestly, that is just annoying.

Giolon

Extremely. It's one of my favorite elements. One of the primary reasons why I didn't like Dark Souls 1 very much is because its multiplayer was basically busted when I played it at launch and the multi was my favorite aspect of Demon's Souls. Fortunately DS2 and DS3 got their shit back together when it came to multi.

The games are just not the same without it.

mhanna49

Neo Member
Multiplayer is one of my favorite parts of the games. I played about half of Dark Souls 3 with a friend and had a lot of fun fighting invaders together. I also like cooperating with randoms to explore areas or fight bosses. I'll ocasionally invade others but don't think it's as rewarding as co-op.

Also, one thing I dislike about PvP in these games is that it is usually a bit laggy for me and that can ruin a fight.

Pejo

Very important, but IMO it hasn't been handled well since Demon's/DkS1. They made it a little pvp metagame, which to me cheapens the whole point of it. When you got invaded in the first two games, it was almost a panic moment. You had to always be on the lookout and use any advantage you had. This was all because you were at a huge disadvantage just by being invaded.

DS2 and 3 made it a little pvp minigame of its own, which is plagued by memers, hackers, and people looking for an audience. 3 is especially shit with the fight clubs and 4 summoned helper phantoms and gank squads. Some people might like it, but it totally shat on the original vision of the mechanic.

In all my time with Bloodborne, I was only invaded once, so I'm not really sure how that iteration was - other than scarce.

J2d

I played the last two FS games offline, I don't want someone invading and I don't want help so there's not much point in it for me.

Arulan

Incredibly important. The multiplayer's role in the core design isn't to add co-op to the game, or allow for PvP though. Some people choose to force the game to facilitate those things, that of which I don't mean criticize, and as the series has progressed, From Software have facilitated doing so. In my opinion, and I believe that of the designers is to use multiplayer to enhance the singleplayer. Summoning is meant to give you brief moments of solace with a stranger in an otherwise desolate world. Invasions reinforce the fact that you're never safe here. They're not meant to be duels of skill, or be balanced for it, but to invoke panic and fear at what is coming for you. Some of the player-controlled bosses were an interesting way of providing dynamic encounters through multiplayer. And of course the signs, phantoms, and blood stains are used to great effect.

Top Bottom