• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FromSoftware to release other Souls in the future without Miyazaki as director

Draugoth

Gold Member
miyazaki-afirma-que-dark-souls-2-foi-muito-importante-para-o-futuro-da-franquia-104204.jpg

With several more games released by FromSoftware since Dark Souls 2, Miyazaki now seems more comfortable entrusting future games to other directors, saying there

“is a high possibility that we would delegate responsibility of director to those other Souls-ish games going forward.”

It’s an idea he doubles-down on:

Yes, I think it’s very likely that we’ll see new directors going forward. And I think if we do that, I’d like to step away from that supervisory role and give them full direction and full control over those projects. I think really this is the best way and the easiest way for them to flourish within that environment and with those new projects.”

While Miyazaki doesn’t elaborate too much, he tells IGN that how he managed the role of Supervisor during work on Dark Souls 2 is “one little area of regret” for him. Personally, he enjoys “a lot of projects where I am director, so I think a supervisor role for me is just something I’m not used to and just is maybe not quite a good fit.”

Good. I love the Dark Souls games but the combat is pretty similar between all of them. Not very excited for a DS4 unless Fromsoft change the gameplay loop. Hopefully this opens up Miyazaki to make more unique games similar to Bloodborne or Sekiro

Methos#1975

Dark Souls 2 was fantastic and haters can suck my fucking dick
I'm replaying Dark Souls 2 currently since it was on sale on the XSX and while I loved it back when it was first released, it hasn't held up well. It's a good game but it's a piss poor souls game. It's just gank mob after gank mob and extremely unbalanced encounters. The game is just purposefully set up to be unfair at times in a way no other souls game is and stupid amateur design decisions like adp factoring into the roll i-frames and the shit lock on don't help. I love how I'll literally be standing like 5 feet from a stupid enemy and hitting L3 instead of locking on turns you around. And even if it does work the lock on range is so short it's useless if a ranged character. And it has the absolute worse bosses of all the Fromsoft games. They are all easy as hell and none are memorable. Getting to them is more a challenge than the bosses thrmselves.

Last edited:
Good, no organisation wants to be over reliant on a single or a few individuals to make something special.

It's good talent management to develop other/junior staff so they can take up these positions and maintain a similar level of quality; more innovation is likely to come out of this approach too - of course missteps can and will happen too but that's how people learn.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’ve been wanting a remastered version of Dark Souls 2. It’s sad to think of what his final work will be as a producer. I get what he’s saying, but I don’t want to.

Kurotri

Miyazaki wants to keep doing new IPs instead of confining himself to a single series. Dark Souls 3 was pretty much the only exception where he returned to finish the series off. Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Sekiro, Elden Ring, he wants something different. Now you might argue that there's a lot of shared DNA in these games, but they still manage to stand on their own as distinct games. The man can't clone himself, unfortunately. And if so, I would also like for him to create new games instead. Let other directors handle the established stuff.

This studio needs to evolve beyond Miyazaki. If Miyazaki were to retire some day and no one's there to pick up the torch, it'd fuck over From and their image. And the best way for that to happen is to give others free reign.

Fbh

Makes sense to me.
Allows him to work on new stuff while also giving the chance to new talent to step up. For FROM it's smart too as it's never a good idea for your entire studio to revolve around a single individual.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Game had some decent environments but it was completely aimless and stitched together. If it didn't have the Miyazaki/FromSoft backing it'd be considered a 6 at best and kusoge at worst.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
that would be pretty stupid to shut off the whole souls franchise just because miyazaki is not directing.

Most gamer out there dont give a shit whos the director anyway.

MiguelItUp

To each their own, but Dark Souls 2 was the only one I really struggled to get through. It just felt like a such a chore at various times. By the end I just wanted it over. I had multiple people tell me the DLC is SO much better than the actual game. But I never went back to give it a shot, I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

So, as long as this concerns me, as long is Miyazaki oversees, produces, or anything. I'd hope for a better experience. If 2 was the worst that could be done without him, then at least we already go that out of the way.

peronmls

The series should be consider dead then. It would just exist to make money. I play souls because of the talent behind it. Not the title slapped on it.

Loope

I'm replaying Dark Souls 2 currently since it was on sale on the XSX and while I loved it back when it was first released, it hasn't held up well. It's a good game but it's a piss poor souls game. It's just gank mob after gank mob and extremely unbalanced encounters. The game is just purposefully set up to be unfair at times in a way no other souls game is and stupid amateur design decisions like adp factoring into the roll i-frames and the shit lock on don't help. I love how I'll literally be standing like 5 feet from a stupid enemy and hitting L3 instead of locking on turns you around. And even if it does work the lock on range is so short it's useless if a ranged character. And it has the absolute worse bosses of all the Fromsoft games. They are all easy as hell and none are memorable. Getting to them is more a challenge than the bosses thrmselves.
I'm starting to think i was the only one with problems with Velstadt.

Hohenheim

I like Dark Souls 2 better than Dark Souls 1. Love both, of course. But the best Dark Souls for me is the third.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Miyamoto had to let got of Mario and Zelda.

Miyazaki can let go of the Souls series to sit on a throne of From.

GrayChild

Dark Souls 2 was the weakest of all modern FROM titles, and yet I'd still prefer it over any other Soulslike game (yes, even Lies of P and Nioh).

Considering all the drama with the project and the fact that it switched directors mid-development, it's a small miracle it still ended this good.

It's also important to note that Miyazaki never said he'll stop directing games, or even Soulslikes in general. Just that there will be more projects helmed by other people. Masaru Yamamura did an amazing job with Armored Core 6, and Tanimura has proven he's talented as hell when he doesn't need to repurpose Shibuya's failed prototypes.

Last edited:

Shut0wen

Dark Souls 2 was fantastic and haters can suck my fucking dick
Honestly its the most difficult of the 3 games (3 being the easiest and the first having horrible frame drops which made it hard) only criticism i have are the boss fights are literally shit because every enemy is a fucking knight

Shut0wen

Honestly id rather a new souls game then elden ring, elden is q greay game but the ghost army people mean the bosses are literally sponges, takes the fun out of the game unless your using op weapons, plus the quests on elden ring are no where near as good as they were in 3, plus elden ring is barebones empty

tommib

Dark Souls 2 is the superior Dark Souls so I’m good with that.

And AC6 also proves that the From machine is well oiled enough to give a chance to new directors.

Last edited:

Lux R7

i mean he would probably still do some quality control/supervising in any case, i would not say no to more souls.

Top Bottom