• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Xbox goes third party, how this is affecting you?

People are going to have a rough awakening when Sony start charging whatever the fuck they want for hardware and software and services. No competition is never good for consumers.

Funny thing is seeing people foaming at their mouths celebrating, when this is bad news for everyone.

This could end up being bad but the only other option was GP did very well for Xbox and took off and they continued doing what they are doing. That future is much more worrying for me because I feel like sub services are not a good fit for gaming. The quality of titles Xbox has been releasing on GP speaks volumes. Incomplete game after incomplete game. I want competition but I also don't want poor decisions and bad business moves being rewarded just to keep that competition.

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
It doesn't. Always had Playstation since the first and every Nintendo console since snes (except 64). Never felt a need to own Xbox, until this generation, where I bought a series X at launch, because I fell for the hype and believed it would become the ultimate RPG machine because of an the acquisitions. It didn't. Now I cancelled gamepass and it's been collecting dust. I think I will probably sell it. I would welcome them bringing their first party stuff to playstation.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I think it would make the most sense to retool the PS5 Pro, delay it 18-24 months and just call it PS6. Then they don’t have to push the tech boundaries, and can put out a console with zero competition.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
In all honesty, I'd buy the Bungie Halo games, the Rare collection (I like old games) and the first 3 Gears games. Apart from that, I'm fine. If anyone prefers other games, that's okay. Just not for me

Laptop1991

It does to an extent, I'm a PC gamer but they now own the IP,s i play the most on my computer, Bethesda SP games, TES Fallouts, also Dishonored Prey Wolfenstein, Doom etc also Obsidian with NV, although the better games are in the past, so that's what i want, new better games from Microsoft of these games and franchises, hasn't happened yet.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Personally it doesn't effect me since the only time I owned Xbox system was 360 (thanks to JRPG).

But I feel ignorance going to get even worse already are when they have no competition.

Thankfully most 3rd party games this gen have been absolute fire.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
It doesn't personally affect me as I never bought into the Xbox brand to begin with since I had enough with the PlayStation and Nintendo consoles.

Audiophile

Gold Member
Might try out a couple franchises/games I never played like Gears and maybe I could have Forza Horizon 4/5 partially scratch my Driveclub itch. Would be nice to see Sunset Overdrive make its way over.

South Of Midnight looks interesting, as does Clockwork Rev and the new Perfect Dark piques my interest. I did like Dishonoured but never really had a chance to get into them when they came out on PS3/4, but if there are any future outings it's nice to know I'd likely be able to play 'em still.

Might try Flight Sim as a curiosity on PC or HiFi Rush on a Switch 2; the former would be cool if it had a PSVR2 patch.

That's about it really. Halo, Fable etc. don't do anything for me. MS/Xbox have been of very little direct consequence to me in the gaming space ever since they entered it. Most relevant thing they did for me was giving Sony a kick up the arse in the PS360 gen.

I think I played the original splinter cell games on an OG Xbox my brother borrowed; then tried Halo and just didn't get it. Other than that I recall trying PGR on a friend's Xbox. Rest of my gaming has been on PS.

As a PS guy I'd stills say it would have been nice to see more competition and for Sony to have a longer term equal, but MS/Xbox really squandered the fruits of those early 360 days.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

Basically next gen I won’t buy an MS console this gen I hope cross play becomes mandatory so I can play with friends and family still in the Xbox ecosystem.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I will buy the next Forza Horizon on Steam and hope they will continue with AoE. Keeping an eye on Avowed as well. Business as usual. I’ve been enjoying the fanboy meltdowns tho.

Korso

Bigger backlog. Also a few more trophies. I play most Xbox games on PC for now, so I'm not missing out on anything.

I don't think it changes my purchases at all. Maybe if they keep buying everybody eventually they'll get a hold of someone like Sega one of these Wednesdays, and then I guess I'll be giving them moneys possibly?

Monkfish877

I think it's time for someone like Samsung to enter the home console market. Sony must not be allowed to have the home console enthusiast market to themselves, it's just going to get worse and worse for us consumers if Sony are the only ones in this space.( I'm purposely not including Nintendo because they're doing their own thing)

cormack12

Gold Member
I doubt it will.

I'm guessing gamepass will only be available on the consoles but the games can retail elsewhere

Kacho

I own a Series X but play on Steam mostly. It's just one less platform for me to invest time and money into.

VAVA Mk2

One less competitor means Sony will get hella complacent with PS6. Look at what happened when TMobile ate Sprint and the US cellular industry went to 3 major carriers from 4?

Losing competition always hurts the consumer as prices go up and the need for innovation decreases.

bigdad2007

Not at all. I abandoned game pass on my series x when they screwed with the rewards.

I play Fortnite on it and that’s about it. I’m 99% on the Steam Deck now.

Well I guess time to liquidate that Series S that I was gonna keep for emulation. The Steam Deck and Rog Ally seem to be better for that purpose anyways. Will keep my Series X for Palworld and other fun gamepass games. I doubt those will hit the PS5 anytime soon.

Last edited:

AngelMuffin

As an XSX owner…
unimpressed morgan freeman GIF

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Discussions on the gaming industry will be incredibly boring.
NeoGAF threads after Xbox's eventual console exit:
Valve is succeeding... Nintendo is succeeding... Sony is succeeding.... all 3 major platform owners are doing well....

No more chaos or drama. : (

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I predict the value of Xbox consoles going down the drain, because nobody wants one when every Microsoft game comes to Playstation. When that happens, I'll buy a Series X when it reaches <200€ and use it as a 4k blu-ray player.
as opposed to buying an actual 4k Blu-ray player?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
People are going to have a rough awakening when Sony start charging whatever the fuck they want for hardware and software and services. No competition is never good for consumers.
And then Sony's gonna have a rough awakening when they see everyone cancelling their subscriptions/buying games on Nintendo and PC instead. They lower prices to gain market share back and we're back to square one.

Lillie

they should give me PC codes for all of the games I bought on xbox since they're making the console irrelevant

Last edited:

kyussman

I've not owned an Xbox since the OG because they haven't released a game since Halo CE that turned my head their way......so no effect at all,lol.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I sold my Xbox last year and I’m selling my Windows laptop too. To be honest I despise Microsoft.

I’m reluctant to buy any of their games moving forward but I can’t lie, I’d probably buy select stuff like MCC on Switch when they are 50% off.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Looking back on it now I actually think losing Xbox is a bigger deal than i made it out to be.

Mostly because Sony, Nintendo and MS are one of the last few big companies sticking to the traditional model of releasing a physical console and making people buy physical games for it, that run locally on the system locally using the system hardware.

I feel like any new competitor that enters the space will ultimately be lacking one of those things in some way, hell it was already happening with Xbox and gamepass being their major digital push, shutting down their physicals department, DRM discs and other stuff.

Google already tried to force the streaming hell upon us with Stadia, Amazon jumped in that hellhole with Luna, Valve did so with the Steam Deck being all digital, most new companies entering the gaming space in general would rather go cloud or go digital than give us a physical console with physical games. I feel like at this point any new competitors that spring up will be doing so with this intent, and it's hard to blame them considering how expensive going this route in general is.

Last edited:

Monkfish877

Ps6 will be an incremental upgrade over the Ps5. What's the point of releasing a powerful console when Sony is competing with itself? It's not good for us consumers having Sony have the home console market to themselves. Someone else needs to enter the market.

Last edited:

SHA

Df topic, but I get they're on team green side, none the less, it's worth hearing their take on this topic, my opinion, a console that plays the last of us, God of war, Halo gears and Forza is preferred, I value consoles, but it shouldn't happen at the cost of bombing games reputations, Halo needs to feel halo, we don't wanna wake up and find halo going down into the abyss, that's a desperate day for 343, us and Ms platform.

Last edited:

Ribi

I'm gnna lose my house, my car, my wife, my kids, but at least I'll be able to play palworld only in Xbox and PC

Not much - I have a series X but with gamepass on PC as well, it's been hard to justify playing the 'lesser' version. And for games not on PC, PS5 usually has the superior version. So I really have no reason to use the Series X.

Series X and gamepass are ironically what got me into pc gaming

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
What's the point of releasing a powerful console when Sony is competing with itself?
Sony was worried enough about the growing PC market to make the PS4 pro and introduce pro revisions to home consoles. I think as long as Nvidia keep innovating with their GPUs there's always going to be that to worry about.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I never jumped on the Xbox bandwagon, even when it made sense to. I only had Sega, Sony and Nintendo consoles.

That said, I don't like that Microsoft might be going third party. That will provide Sony way too much power. And that is not good for us.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I just hope a new challenger steps up to stop Sony backsliding even more.
Sony, Nintendo and MS are one of the last few big companies sticking to the traditional model of releasing a physical console and making people buy physical games for it, that run locally on the system locally using the system hardware.

I feel like any new competitor that enters the space will ultimately be lacking one of those things in some way, hell it was already happening with Xbox and gamepass being their major digital push, shutting down their physicals department, DRM discs and other stuff.

Google already tried to force the streaming hell upon us with Stadia, Amazon jumped in that hellhole with Luna, Valve did so with the Steam Deck being all digital, most new companies entering the gaming space in general would rather go cloud or go digital than give us a physical console with physical games. I feel like at this point any new competitors that spring up will be doing so with this intent, and it's hard to blame them considering how expensive going this route in general is.
Not to say that Xbox in their current state is a worthy competitor to Sony, i just think that whatever competitor that comes by will be doing so with compromises to the user experience

Last edited:

RGB'D

PC main so doesnt affect. I'm just hoping PS keeps bringing the thunder to PC and I'll never buy anything but a switch 2 again.

RGB'D

I never jumped on the Xbox bandwagon, even when it made sense to. I only had Sega, Sony and Nintendo consoles.

That said, I don't like that Microsoft might be going third party. That will provide Sony way too much power. And that is not good for us.
Seriously this is the worst fall out. PS fans taking victory laps when this just means SONY is gonna bring the BS. Arrogant SONY without competition? Get ready to paaaaayyyy.

EruditeHobo

The change for me, most likely, is there will be a few games that I don't currently have a huge drive to play that will be very easily available to me. Which would be nice! And I'd play them! But it honestly wouldn't be a huge change -- I have a decent PC, if I wanted to play them I could have spent a little on the upgrades I wanted in order to run them well-enough to go through them.

But I haven't really cared about MS ecosystem for a very, very long time. I've been looking for a reason to upgrade my PC for a killer release, or possibly even get a series X (same was true of XB1), and just haven't had any real pressing desire to do so.

That said I'm curious what the actual plan is, as I really don't know what to expect... is this going to be comparable to what Sony does with PC? Slow-rolling out a handful of titles, often years after their initial exclusivity? Or will it be more like "we're bringing our catalog to PSN!"

One day eventually I will do a big PC update, but I don't really feel the need yet. And if Indy came out this year on PS5... I'd buy and be there day 1, most likely. If new Fable came out quickly on PS5 as well, I'd do the same.

Top Bottom