• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Fi Rush PS5 Review + Xbox Multi-Platform Releases - The Story So Far

onQ123

"It's a mystery"

OjVGjxJ.jpg
Not a mystery if you know your history 😎

onQ123

He is not demanding equivalent performance per se, he is demanding better QA, and greater attention in its first party games to the version of its own console. That is, situations where the XSX version (even the PC version) lacks even the same graphical and playable options as compared to PS5.

I give you the reason that he could have gone to other more current examples. In fact I could have gone to many recent multi-platform cases (these don't have more than 1 or 2 pages of discussion). where XSX has had better performance But I don't know where that would change the context.

The context is that games from MS's first party Studios are incomprehensibly exposing the version of their own console with results that are not understandable. Ghost Wire Tokyo is not understandable, what happened with Pentiment is not understandable and neither is it understandable with Hifi. MS's level of negligence when it comes to avoiding unnecessary controversy is incomprehensible.

It's funny, where was yours typical Rops reason in Suicide Squad, The Finals, Banishers,Brother a tale Of two, Tekken 8, Skull and Bones , Ápex Legends 120hz mode....in their threads of less than 2 discussion pages 🤔
I haven't seen those threads at all & what do they have to do with Shadows?

Darsxx82

D Darsxx82 what's so funny? That's a true statement
The only real thing is that you only appear to remind us of the advantage in Rops when the PS5 version is the one that comes out favored..... but you never appear to explain the situation to us when the XSX version is the one that wins even though the situation and the bases are the same....🤔🙃

I haven't seen those threads at all & what do they have to do with Shadows?

Or of course, that's why in the PC version max it's Rops' problem...🤔🤣.

Surely the Rops' reason makes more sense than understanding that the XSX and PC versions from a year ago used different APIs and maximum shadow assets and now the PS5 port has benefited from extra polish in that regard.

Then, as often happens, a patch solves the problem and then we don't see you admitting that you were wrong.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
That doesn't even make sense as a reply to me lol

I gave the answer to why PS5 has the better shadows

We should probably at least watch the video or read the article before making another one of these comments.

The PC and Xbox versions are already running the highest equivalent preset for the game when it launched based on the games UE4 config.

Whichever studio ported the game to the PS5 did extra work over that. The PC version doesn't have that shadow preset in it either.

Hopefully thay clarifies why the ROPS comparison is meaningless here. (y)

Last edited:

onQ123

We should probably at least watch the video or read the article before making another one of these comments.

The PC and Xbox versions are already running the highest equivalent preset for the game when it launched based on the games UE4 config.

Whichever studio ported the game to the PS5 did extra work over that. The PC version doesn't have that shadow preset in it either.

Hopefully thay clarifies why the ROPS comparison is meaningless here. (y)
I watched the video

& If the PS5 didn't have the extra room to play with the devs wouldn't have added that extra shadow detail

skyfinch

Wtf?!! I was about to sell my Series S to buy a Personal Computer, but it's obvious that Playstation 5 is way more powerful than any Computer on the market.

This is probably why Foamstars is a PS5 exclusive. Series X is weak as fuck.

King Dazzar

At least the ports are being done well going by these first couple. Which is great. Bodes well for other ports in the future. Pretty strange video from DF though. Comes across as they wanted to present some analysis, but at the same time, its politicised and agenda driven. Lost respect on their PS5 Pro coverage recently too.

Last edited:
More room then a 4090 equipped PC?

closed hardware like consoles can get custom solutions in their version of an engine the devs developed themselves or borrowed, PC gpus usually don't get custom features, in the case of a 4090 it would be of the 4000 series not a specific 4090 exclusive feature that would be even more uncommon, for example a FSR version that may requires a specific series of GPU or superior due to certain vulkan/opengl/directx support, that is not an indicator that the PC GPU cannot do certain things but its what happens when you have variety of different hardware, developers put fixed values to the settings as default, usually PC-GPU's allows to use certain higher settings of a feature in an engine better than consoles thanks to their modern and more powerful hardware is just that you cannot expect all the games to have them and every custom improvement every single time

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Tom could at least try to hide his biases…
That was interesting. Contextualizing the scenes when the PS5 is ahead as "That's odd, it is weaker this should not happen" and when Xbox is ahead as "Well obviously it is the more powerful hardware".
Adding to that, he says that future games should be the best on Series X; why? Should future CoD games be downgraded on PS5 Pro and simply not take advantage of the software libraries in order to not make Series X look bad? Should devs not take advantage of the extra silicon and features offered by the superior platform?
What is this dickriding the DF staff is constantly doing for Microsoft?

Tom made a point that these PS5 ports "could even evangelize the Xbox platform to a wider audience". I think Tom sees it as his job to do a bit of evangelizing himself too. He was seriously butt hurt that PS5 ports ran better than the real thing and simply couldn't understand why MS let this happen.

The hell does ROPS have to do with the PC and Xbox already running at max preset ?

the user was refereeing to shadows

perhaps the problem is exactly that there is a max preset that is too low

I higher number of ROPS can help with fillrate and help with things like shadows and simpler parts like the background that are also better in the PS5 version, so the developer maybe considered that the max preset could be changed in the code to allow for more than the engine allowed by default without presenting a problem, it is uncertain why xbox series x didn't had a customized value but a hardware limit is a possibility too given the difference in the number of ROPS , on PC depending the hardware you can get more performance than consoles but if there are only a "preset" you cannot expect every developer to make changes or make custom shaders of every single feature maybe a future version of UE will have more presets

Last edited:

Gunstar75

Neo Member
At least the ports are being done well going by these first couple. Which is great. Bodes well for other ports in the future. Pretty strange video from DF though. Comes across as they wanted to present some analysis, but at the same time, its politicised and agenda driven. Lost respect on their PS5 Pro coverage recently too.

Yeah I agree, I understand that they were disappointed with the CPU only have a 10% boast but to lead with that and to spend so much time on it just seemed strange. Sony was able improve so much but to focus on the one thing that let you down don't make sense. What do they expect from a $500 box, this is just mid gen refresh. I still enjoy their content but I don't take what they say as the end all be all.

NonPhixion

Wow Tango Gameworks did an excellent job porting this game to PS5. I imagine many people who work there are big PlayStation fans. Well done.

solidus12

Tom and Alex are the worst. I like John, but he too always carefully chooses his words when there is a PS5 advantage in PS5 vs Xbox comparisons.

Rich, teraflops differentiator, Ledbetter loves Xbox as well.

The thing is, Digital foundry receive special treatment from Xbox (exclusive coverage of Xbox hardware), so they can’t be too harsh on them.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Great game.. I think every PlayStation only gamer should buy this game just stick it to Xbox. Am I right ( high five!!)
No chance, the only Xbox games I'll ever buy is Hellblade 2.

And if the rumor of a PS5 version of Minecraft is true, I'd buy it if it supports VR. Same as Skyrim VR.
But that'd be only for VR.

As for Hifi Rush, I'll believe it's a great game for those that like that kind of game.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Every PC doesn't have a 4090 but now that the game was ported to PS5 & used a higher setting maybe they can add it now

And thus we can see the ROPS have nothing to do with the shadow quality discrepancy. It took a roundabout way but you've finally reached the proper conclusion 😇

Last edited:

adamsapple

According to Tom, Xbox Series X is the most powerful console, so why aren’t there Pc vs Xbox Series X comparisons?

Why does Alex always get a boner when doing PS5 vs PC video comparisons?

Did Alex steal your lunch money or something? You're in every DF thread with the "Bugaga" hate :messenger_grinning_sweat:

GametimeUK

It's crazy how videos like these make users on here behave. Questioning why the console with the higher spec sheet (on paper) doesn't perform as well as the console with the lower spec sheet is valid.

Not everything is a personal attack on your game console.

Last edited:

Bojji

This was one weird video, one version has better shadows and they make long video crying about why Xbox is under performing in some games?

Xbox is just not better than PS5 in every aspect, even on paper. Plus PS is rumored to have better tools for developers and at this point it's the lead platform for most games. They are seeking some conspiracy here, even from MS studios?

The fact is that XSX uses the same shadows as the PC version to the maximum. Meanwhile, ironically, the PS5 port uses a higher shadow setting compared to PC and XSX.

At this point I come to think that it could be done on purpose to boost sales on PS5(aka the recent 120hz mode in Pentiment) 😂😂.
We have seen this in plenty others multiplatform games (better shadows on PS5 vs PC/XSX, in some games DF even spined the shadows looked too sharp on PS5, I'd like to kid here but I am not). I think it's just an API difference on PC/XSX with them using by default a different settings. This is not a conspiracy on any kind.

The 120hz exclusive mode on the other hand. :messenger_beaming:

That was interesting. Contextualizing the scenes when the PS5 is ahead as "That's odd, it is weaker this should not happen" and when Xbox is ahead as "Well obviously it is the more powerful hardware".
Adding to that, he says that future games should be the best on Series X; why? Should future CoD games be downgraded on PS5 Pro and simply not take advantage of the software libraries in order to not make Series X look bad? Should devs not take advantage of the extra silicon and features offered by the superior platform?
What is this dickriding the DF staff is constantly doing for Microsoft?

They aren't really dickriding Microsoft, they just really hate Sony because Playstation killed the Saturn and the Dreamcast. Several of them are bitter Sega fans who can't let it go and they let their hatred of Sony infect their entire waking dreams

The fact is that XSX uses the same shadows as the PC version to the maximum. Meanwhile, ironically, the PS5 port uses a higher shadow setting compared to PC and XSX.

At this point I come to think that it could be done on purpose to boost sales on PS5(aka the recent 120hz mode in Pentiment) 😂😂.
Phil is giving PS the superior version to give the FTC the middle finger.

Zuzu

Never was Xbox exclusive and is best on PC.

I was just making a little joke. Also, the video showed that PS5 version has better shadows than the PC version, so graphical fidelity is higher on PS5 I believe. But if you’re referring to frame rate then yes PC can go higher than PS5.

Last edited:
Top Bottom