• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Fi Rush PS5 Review + Xbox Multi-Platform Releases - The Story So Far

Hi-Fi Rush has arrived on PlayStation 5 and it's an excellent port of the original Xbox Series X and PC games... with slightly improved shadows. Tom Morgan reminds us of how great this game is, and examines Xbox's multi-platform record so far. From Ghostwire: Tokyo's Xbox issues to Pentiment receiving 120Hz support on PS5 first, surely Microsoft's flagship console should automatically be the best place to play its games and the first platform to receive new features? Great games get a wider audience now and that's a great thing - but Xbox needs to dot all the Is and cross all the Ts a little more carefully.

Performance Summary:
-PS5 uses a higher resolution shadow quality.
-Everything else is the same as the Series X version.

Personal opinion:
One thing that stands out about this review to me, is that they lumped it in with "The story so far" which comes across as an attempt to damage control the current state of optimization on Series X across several multi-platform titles, going so far as to pull scenes from other games where the Series X wins in the head-to-head.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Star Wars Irony GIF

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I always believed that this game was made for the Dualsense. So I will probably get it for cheap in a few months/years. As for DF, I love how because they knew that the game was good and a good port they had to find another angle to bait us. Will wait for the summary but with around 2 minutes( and maybe part of the intro) about the game this thread may be a fun one.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
You know, Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo issues on Series consoles, or XSX, could be forgiven since they launched on PS5 first.....

But this? This is......interesting....

I just got to the part where the Hi Fi Rush shadow issue is also on PC so....and Tom comparing some 3rd party games....something is going on.

"Wait for the tools" 2024?

Last edited:

Darsxx82

The fact is that XSX uses the same shadows as the PC version to the maximum. Meanwhile, ironically, the PS5 port uses a higher shadow setting compared to PC and XSX.

At this point I come to think that it could be done on purpose to boost sales on PS5(aka the recent 120hz mode in Pentiment) 😂😂.

Tsaki

CODING TO THE METAL BABYYYYY!!!!!!!!
(kind of /s since I'd sacrifice that for wider/easier/better Backward and Forward Compatibility)

Rudius

You know what would be funny? For them to patch the PS5 version downgrading the shadows to Xbox/PC level.

Darsxx82

You know, Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo issues on Series consoles, or XSX, could be forgiven since they launched on PS5 first.....

But this? This is......interesting....

I just got to the part where the Hi Fi Rush shadow issue is also on PC so....and Tom comparing some 3rd party games....something is going on.

"Wait for the tools" 2024?
?? Deathloop is superior in XSX in all modes VS PS5.

This case has nothing interesting technologically (because I don't think anyone will believe that the slight difference in shadows is a result of power limitations in XSX and PC). The only interesting and curious part is the fact that it is an MS game on PS5 and that, after so much controversy, MS itself does not put a minimum of interest and scrutiny when it comes to avoiding extra unnecessary controversy (the same example than 120hz mode in Pentiment)

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
-Performance Summary:

Steam and Xbox have the same max preset, whichever port studio did the PS version did extra work:

PC at maxed settings looks the same as Series X, whether you're looking at the Game Pass or Steam version. Using Unreal Engine Unlocker, we find that the shadow setting is already maxed on PC.

RE: Pentiment post Xbox getting the 120hz update.

Curiously, the title screen sequence which is taxing and drops performance well below 120fps on PS5, shows a Series X advantage.

Mr Moose

Last edited:

Tsaki

going so far as to pull scenes from other games where the Series X wins in the head-to-head.
That was interesting. Contextualizing the scenes when the PS5 is ahead as "That's odd, it is weaker this should not happen" and when Xbox is ahead as "Well obviously it is the more powerful hardware".
Adding to that, he says that future games should be the best on Series X; why? Should future CoD games be downgraded on PS5 Pro and simply not take advantage of the software libraries in order to not make Series X look bad? Should devs not take advantage of the extra silicon and features offered by the superior platform?
What is this dickriding the DF staff is constantly doing for Microsoft?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Absolutely insane video. At times, chastising MS and straight up demanding equivalent performance and then other times bringing up old releases like plague's tale and re village to show its not all bad. (MEMORABLE EXAMPLE Re Village!!! shows 3-4 fps boost. LMAO)

Insane tone from DF here. Like its one thing to bring up the shadow discrepancy, and another thing altogether to go on a soap box demanding blood like a disgruntled fanboy would. I got shades of timdog, bryank and entitled karens here. DO THIS FOR ME OR ELSE.

I wish i had time to pull up some of the quotes towards the end but wow. I dont mind DF holding devs to a higher standards but this is a ranting of a fanboy. nothing more.

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

That was interesting. Contextualizing the scenes when the PS5 is ahead as "That's odd, it is weaker this should not happen" and when Xbox is ahead as "Well obviously it is the more powerful hardware".
Adding to that, he says that future games should be the best on Series X; why? Should future CoD games be downgraded on PS5 Pro and simply not take advantage of the software libraries in order to not make Series X look bad? Should devs not take advantage of the extra silicon and features offered by the superior platform?
What is this dickriding the DF staff is constantly doing for Microsoft?
We always ask this question, and we always already know the answer.

onQ123

Hi-Fi Rush has arrived on PlayStation 5 and it's an excellent port of the original Xbox Series X and PC games... with slightly improved shadows. Tom Morgan reminds us of how great this game is, and examines Xbox's multi-platform record so far. From Ghostwire: Tokyo's Xbox issues to Pentiment receiving 120Hz support on PS5 first, surely Microsoft's flagship console should automatically be the best place to play its games and the first platform to receive new features? Great games get a wider audience now and that's a great thing - but Xbox needs to dot all the Is and cross all the Ts a little more carefully.

Performance Summary:
-Everything else is the same as the Series X version.

Personal opinion:
One thing that stands out about this review to me, is that they lumped it in with "The story so far" which comes across as an attempt to damage control the current state of optimization on Series X across several multi-platform titles, going so far as to pull scenes from other games where the Series X wins in the head-to-head.

PS5 has 2X the depth ROPS as Xbox Series X

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I really love this game, one of those titles that really has stayed with me since I beat it, and I sometimes go back and play the extra modes just for fun.

Wasting air on discussion of shadow maps kind of misses the point. Play this game.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Absolutely insane video. At times, chastising MS and straight up demanding equivalent performance and then other times bringing up old releases like plague's tale and re village to show its not all bad. (MEMORABLE EXAMPLE Re Village!!! shows 3-4 fps boost. LMAO)

Insane tone from DF here. Like its one thing to bring up the shadow discrepancy, and another thing altogether to go on a soap box demanding blood like a disgruntled fanboy would. I got shades of timdog, bryank and entitled karens here. DO THIS FOR ME OR ELSE.

I wish i had time to pull up some of the quotes towards the end but wow. I dont mind DF holding devs to a higher standards but this is a ranting of a fanboy. nothing more.
He's right though. Microsoft should be embarrassed. They market the console as the most powerful console ever, only to drop that and say most powerful Xbox ever (duh). Then after years of failures in porting their games Day 1 to PC which was already surprising, they're also porting them to PS5 and they have a small advantage there too. Ghostwire Tokyo had 1 year of extra development time on Xbox but still runs much better on PS5. Hi-Fi Rush is nowhere as egregious, but still.

This is an L across the board for Microsoft. You'd think their own studios would squeeze out the most out of their hardware but they can't even manage that.

>Market most powerful console, fail to deliver
>Market Series S as the 1440p alternative when it's actually the 720p-900p alternative
>Port your exclusives to your biggest rival's platform and they look and run better there

Just throw in the towel already. This is almost painful to watch.

Last edited:

GHG

He's right though. Microsoft should be embarrassed. They market the console as the most powerful console ever, only to drop that level to most powerful Xbox ever (duh). Then after years of failures, they port their games Day 1 to PC which was already surprising, but now they're also porting them to PS5 and they have a small advantage there too. Ghstowire Tokoy had 1 year of extra development time on Xbox but still runs much better on PS5. Hi-Fi Rush is nowhere as egregious, but still.

This is an L across the board for Microsoft. You'd think their own studios would squeeze out the most out of their hardware but they can't even manage that.

>Market most powerful console, fails to deliver
>Market Series S as the 1440p alternative when it's actually the 720p-900p alternative
>Port your exclusives to your biggest rival's platform and they look and run better there

Just throw in the towel already. This is almost painful to watch.

They have been porting all their games to PC day one since 2016 dude.

Last edited:

It’s not like the Xbox version looks bad either.

Who the frick cares honestly? Cool that ps5 looks better but Xbox fans played it last year and was just fine

PS5 is just better hardware, we see this on most multiplatform games

Last edited:

Chukhopops

I really love this game, one of those titles that really has stayed with me since I beat it, and I sometimes go back and play the extra modes just for fun.

Wasting air on discussion of shadow maps kind of misses the point. Play this game.
Yeah it’s just a really good game. Can’t say it felt like shadows were an issue back then.

Darsxx82

Absolutely insane video. At times, chastising MS and straight up demanding equivalent performance

He is not demanding equivalent performance per se, he is demanding better QA, and greater attention in its first party games to the version of its own console. That is, situations where the XSX version (even the PC version) lacks even the same graphical and playable options as compared to PS5.

and then other times bringing up old releases like plague's tale and re village to show its not all bad. (MEMORABLE EXAMPLE Re Village!!! shows 3-4 fps boost. LMAO)

I give you the reason that he could have gone to other more current examples. In fact I could have gone to many recent multi-platform cases (these don't have more than 1 or 2 pages of discussion). where XSX has had better performance But I don't know where that would change the context.

The context is that games from MS's first party Studios are incomprehensibly exposing the version of their own console with results that are not understandable. Ghost Wire Tokyo is not understandable, what happened with Pentiment is not understandable and neither is it understandable with Hifi. MS's level of negligence when it comes to avoiding unnecessary controversy is incomprehensible.

PS5 has 2X the depth ROPS as Xbox Series X
It's funny, where was yours typical Rops reason in Suicide Squad, The Finals, Banishers,Brother a tale Of two, Tekken 8, Skull and Bones , Ápex Legends 120hz mode....in their threads of less than 2 discussion pages 🤔

Top Bottom