• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo eShop update imminent on 3DS? (Minor UI update, Wii U games listing)

I swear I remember reading about introducing accounts past year. With updates to Mario Kart 7, but I didn't have a 3DS at the time.

If Nintendo gave us crossbuy for VC, what would happen? Would they lose a ton of money? Would they gain a ton of money? Why or why not?

I just don't get why Nintendo specifically doesn't give customers what they want.

If Nintendo finally added accounts, how are they gonna handle previous purchases? Synch account with devices that had purchases on?

WillyFive

If Nintendo finally added accounts, how are they gonna handle previous purchases? Synch account with devices that had purchases on?

Accounts and all your purchases are already registered and synced with Club Nintendo (assuming people have already made one). Nintendo just needs to allow you to download the games registered there (if they are available on the eshop).

eojoko

Accounts and all your purchases are already registered and synced with Club Nintendo (assuming people have already made one). Nintendo just needs to allow you to download the games registered there (if they are available on the eshop).

They can't do this because so many people trade codes and steal codes without actually buying the games.

wsippel

Banned
They can't do this because so many people trade codes and steal codes without actually buying the games.
You can't trade or steal codes for eShop games, though. They're automatically registered as soon as you purchase them. And Nintendo knows if you bought a game digitally or not - at least on Wii U.

Anteo

Not for digital games.

The problem is that games bought before linking the account to the 3ds are not registered automatically (or at all as it happened to me)

Also the CN account has nothing to do with the account system. You can unlink your 3ds and link a different one and still add those new digital games to your CN account. There is a nternal account for 3ds, as shown by people that have called nintendo and got problems solved just there. Or the Ambassador system, everyone got the games added to their story from far away with no need to do a thing.

El Sabroso

well WiiU eShop has been showing 3DS games in last months, so is just a campaign of selling one console from another showing you some games, but i hope soon we get Miiverse and hopefully crossbuy for 3DS

Javier

All your 3DS purchases are accounted for by the eShop's own account system, it's just that right now it's locked on console. Nintendo just needs to let you sync your 3DS with a NNID and everything should be properly registered. Club Nintendo is separate and not needed at all for this process.

joe1138

If we get a true account system and cross buy I promise I won't complain about Nintendo exploiting my gaming nostalgia with inflated prices on VC games ever again.

Cross my heart.

MrT-Tar

guys, maybe this was why 3DS games were included in the now infamous gaffer Miiverse leak

2502.miiverse-listed-games.jpg

katkombat

Banned
This could be accounts, though, it could be Earthbound in my pocket.

IF EARTHBOUND IS
legally
IN MY POCKET BY THE END OF THIS YEAR I WILL DIE GAF

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
This could be accounts, though, it could be Earthbound in my pocket.

IF EARTHBOUND IS
legally
IN MY POCKET BY THE END OF THIS YEAR I WILL DIE GAF

I'll go broader than that--I'd love SNES games on 3DS.

Just not many NES/GB/GBC etc. games I have interest in replaying. But I'd gladly eventually pick up and replay things like Super Metroid, LTTP etc. again to have them on the go rather than just emulators (no interest in a Wii U).

katkombat

Banned
I'll go broader than that--I'd love SNES games on 3DS.

Just not many NES/GB/GBC etc. games I have interest in replaying. But I'd gladly eventually pick up and replay things like Super Metroid, LTTP etc. again to have them on the go rather than just emulators (no interest in a Wii U).

i will agree with this. super metroid would be great.

It would make sense for SNES games to show up. It would be a good idea to start it off with A Link to the Past to hype up A Link Between Worlds.

Anyway, I hope theyre doing everything right and getting to Sony's level when it comes to online transactions but Im not holding my breath.

RedSwirl

Well...except what if the "use an existing ID" option relates more to purchasing a new Wii U (as a result of malfunction or theft) after you've already created an ID? That alternative wouldn't necessitate a 3DS NNID.

It would be cool if it happens, though, but I have no hopes either way.

As of now though your NNID is locked to ONE console. As far as I know you can't buy a new Wii U and instantly recover your account on it. If I can just get that kind of security for the 3DS, that's the minimum I want from Nintendo right now. If they guaranteed an account not locked to the system, I'd probably go all-digital for 3DS games.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
It would make sense for SNES games to show up. It would be a good idea to start it off with A Link to the Past to hype up A Link Between Worlds.

Definitely.

Hopefully it's something they can implement, and just haven't because they're hoping a more robust VC on Wii U will entice some sales. Which clearly isn't working, so why not expand it to the bigger 3DS market where they can sell more VC games?

RedSwirl

That would be annoying. I would have to pay money three times to make my game work on all platforms if I bought it originally on Wii. Better than what they do now, but still completely stupid.

Meanwhile the copy of FF7 I bought on PSP works on three different platforms with no issues.

This. We're at the bargaining phase with Nintendo at this point.

The only justification I think they could give is that Nintendo's emulation process with each game is a little bit more thorough and expensive than Sony's.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Free advertising on a captive audience?Promoting upcoming Wii U games on 3DS is an obvious thing to do.

jaz013

Banned
I have the impression that, if the account system get implemented in the WiiU/3DS e-shops, it would work like this: Log in using you NNID, you can download your games on either platform, BUT ONLY IN ONE OF EACH AT A TIME. This is, if you log in on another console, you lose access to your games on the previous console. So, in a way, the games would be still tied to the hardware, but it would be easier to move or restore your purchases.

And it would cause even more complains: "I went to my cousin Timmy's house, and I log in with my account, and then downloaded all these games and now:

* My cousin can't play because he logged in with its account
* My cousin changed the password and I'm clueless on how to recover it and I can't play
* My cousin is still playing my games because he no longer connects to the internet (and I think is unfair/fair and complain because <<Nintendo>>)
* My cousin can't play because he no longer connects to the internet.

Why is Nintendo not catering to my very specific needs!!!! WORST.COMPANY/CONSOLE/GAME.EVER!" Revert the roles, and the thread would be even more hilarious.

Anteo

When did they say Let's Plays were piracy? All they did was put ads on videos that featured their content, if I'm remembering this right.

It was mentioned in a gaf thread that they actually consider it like piracy at first. Don't remember which one and from were the info came. That's all I remember really, oh and that they wanted to shut down all of the videos at first.

Oersted

It was mentioned in a gaf thread that they actually consider it like piracy at first. Don't remember which one and from were the info came. That's all I remember really, oh and that they wanted to shut down all of the videos at first.

Erm no. They considered full length musicpieces as piracy. Like everyone else. And they didn´t intent to shut everything down.

starmud

I thought NNID on 3DS was confirmed? o.o

Cross buy would be dream level, not getting hopes up at all lol

Accounts, now if Nintendo would just do make a unified account system, (seems likely) and give me Wii U<->3DS VC "upgrade" charge per game, I'd be pretty happy. Now Ninty just needs to buy Sega from Sammy (My bet E3 2014 or fall 2014)

Ill join you on the crazy bet x) I don't think it's long until Sammy folds the amusement/toy business into sammy (already happening on the amusment side) and sells sega's consumer software side.

Top Bottom