• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

SlCFBTO.jpg

I almost want to leave it like this. I will never see the inside with it on display.

The outside detail was more fun to build than I expected. The layers and angles are somehow very satisfying.

I kinda wish we would get a UCS Eclipse with both a "Empire at War" setup(where it wasn't finished) and a normal setup.

Going through that "LEGO sales dropped" thread looking at all the responses about creativity being lost and it being too expensive while getting together a thread for the MOC contest. But now feeling it would be far too petty to quote people in that.
Or to even name the contest, "We build out of spite."

Best to just keep it civil.

DonShula

Going through that "LEGO sales dropped" thread looking at all the responses about creativity being lost and it being too expensive while getting together a thread for the MOC contest. But now feeling it would be far too petty to quote people in that.
Or to even name the contest, "We build out of spite."

Best to just keep it civil.

I would just forget that thread ever existed.

Ninjago movie was at least on par with Batman, if not better, for me.

And I don’t know jack about Ninjago.

I thought it was... fine I guess. Not bad but not great either. I put it on par with the Batman one and the original, which I find interesting because so many of the reviews are calling it mediocre and saying it failed to live up to the last two. Maybe all three are the same and folks are just tired of seeing the same thing?

Garmadon was pretty much a clone of Lord Business with a tiny bit of Batman ego thrown in. Jackie Chan was charming as usual as Wu.

This one didn't have nearly as many mid-movie surprises as Batman though. The already released sets are pretty much the tentpoles of the movie.

Was a bit disappointed that Ninjago City doesn't appear as a set in the movie... the set seems to be a compilation of a bunch of stuff throughout the city. Makes me want it a little less than before.

Vyer

I would just forget that thread ever existed.

I thought it was... fine I guess. Not bad but not great either. I put it on par with the Batman one and the original, which I find interesting because so many of the reviews are calling it mediocre and saying it failed to live up to the last two. Maybe all three are the same and folks are just tired of seeing the same thing?

Garmadon was pretty much a clone of Lord Business with a tiny bit of Batman ego thrown in. Jackie Chan was charming as usual as Wu.

This one didn't have nearly as many mid-movie surprises as Batman though. The already released sets are pretty much the tentpoles of the movie.

Was a bit disappointed that Ninjago City doesn't appear as a set in the movie... the set seems to be a compilation of a bunch of stuff throughout the city. Makes me want it a little less than before.

I liked garmadon quite a bit. I think he was a little more complex than Business. Chan of course was good as expected.

I’d say the biggest weakness is that, outside of Lloyd, the rest of the team was kind of underutilized/background pieces.

DonShula

I liked garmadon quite a bit. I think he was a little more complex than Business. Chan of course was good as expected.

I’d say the biggest weakness is that, outside of Lloyd, the rest of the team was kind of underutilized/background pieces.

Very much so. There were some personalities that had zero time to develop. Maybe the audience is already supposed to know them, but I didn't. And with those voice actors I was disappointed we didn't get more.

Haines

Banned
A quick look at rotten tomatoes didnt really say the movie was bad at all, just that the novelty of a lego movie has worn off.

Which makes sense, but for kids that like lego these are still going to be big.

The problem in reality is we dont get the directors lord and miller. Unless they are returning for lego movie 2 which i didnt even know was a thing til last week

I think the only major problem with Ninjago Movie is that it's more specialized than Batman (or plain LEGO Movie) were.

I think you'd need a specific interest in the Ninjago stuff for that movie while everyone knows Batman (especially in these super comic movie times) or LEGO in general.

Jimrpg

Pretty much my exact thoughts that I gave in the review thread.

I spent the entire movie trying to find Ninjago City too. Haha.

Jimrpg

Doesn't the story take place in Ninjago City? :)

Was it confirmed that the Ninjago "City" set (AKA just a building) in the movie?

The movie is in Ninjago City, but its a real city with roads and overpasses and buildings and things.

The Lego Ninjago City set on sale is just one building but seems to take inspiration from bits and pieces from the movies and characters.

This is rare for LEGO Star Wars advent calendar. It's on sale for 13% off already.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071S29661/?tag=neogaf0e-20

After that one year that there was a huuuge surplus after Xmas and clearances of 50% or more, I don't recall seeing Star Wars advent calendars on sale. They even are pretty much sold out before end of year. The over produced set I think was the 2012 one with Darth Maul Santa.

This year's advent kinda sucks in terms of minifigs. Microbuilds look good though.

SlCFBTO.jpg

I almost want to leave it like this. I will never see the inside with it on display.

The outside detail was more fun to build than I expected. The layers and angles are somehow very satisfying.
Oooh, I like that unfinished cross-section look too.

A lot of Star Wars ships/vehicles I tend to skip because they end up looking fairly plain IMO. I love Star Destroyers, but they end up just looking like a grey triangle when all is said and done. Being able to see cool interior details adds a lot to me.

Vyer

I think the only major problem with Ninjago Movie is that it's more specialized than Batman (or plain LEGO Movie) were.

I think you'd need a specific interest in the Ninjago stuff for that movie while everyone knows Batman (especially in these super comic movie times) or LEGO in general.

For what it’s worth, I don’t know anything about Ninjago, and was fine. My son is familiar, but the movie did plenty to let me know what I needed to.

For what it’s worth, I don’t know anything about Ninjago, and was fine. My son is familiar, but the movie did plenty to let me know what I needed to.

Awesome :)

I didn't get a chance to see it yet (and like Ninjago), but I could definitely see that being a boundary from people going to see it.

As a personal example - My family KNOWS I love LEGO. My gram used to ask me constantly if I was going to see LEGO Batman when it came out (based off of the commercials), but hasn't mentioned Ninjago once, haha.

Bii

I liked the LEGO Ninjago Movie. I'd still put The LEGO Movie and The LEGO Batman Movie above it but it was still entertaining.

A small amusing thing the movie theater attendant did was how she was pronouncing Ninjago. I used to call it nin-jay-go but corrected my pronunciation when I found out it was nin-jah-go. She says ninja-go; which caught me off guard. hah

I liked the LEGO Ninjago Movie. I'd still put The LEGO Movie and The LEGO Batman Movie above it but it was still entertaining.

A small amusing thing the movie theater attendant did was how she was pronouncing Ninjago. I used to call it nin-jay-go but corrected my pronunciation when I found out it was nin-jah-go. She says ninja-go; which caught me off guard. hah

Nin-jah-go is the show, "Ninja Go!" is what they yell when they go do ninja things. It adds to the confusion, haha.

Finished the Palace Cinema this morning. First two sections were pretty boring but damn the third section with the roof and sign were really great builds. Definitely the weakest modular I own, but looks great. Caught up now, will grab Detective Office next year.

Finished the Palace Cinema this morning. First two sections were pretty boring but damn the third section with the roof and sign were really great builds. Definitely the weakest modular I own, but looks great. Caught up now, will grab Detective Office next year.
Detectives Office is so good. Dat water tower!
Brick Bank was a step backwards though. Still great, but not as good.

DBT85

Trooper/Speeder is complete.

Great build and fantastic final model. Kind of need either a) another one to sit side by side or b) a Leia/Luke one in the right outfit to chase/be chased.

2YrVnHV.jpg

EirX1lF.jpg

Qt940jQ.jpg

Currently building this bad boy as well :)

I was surprised by how damn huge it was. I guess since my only previous figure was Rey, and she was small to begin with, I hadn't realized how big the bike would get.

I haven't bought anything in a while since I ran out of cash (whoops), but I get paid tomorrow so here we go again. Oh, and Destiny's Bounty arrives on tuesday (which was what made me run out of cash) so there's that.

Detectives Office is so good. Dat water tower!
Brick Bank was a step backwards though. Still great, but not as good.

I don't have any modulars yet (still waiting for Palace Cinema) and I see this sentiment a lot, that Brick Bank is so-so. How come? From the pictures and videos I think it looks awesome with some inventive play features to boot. Is it lacking in fun techniques or is it the general look of it? I'm really curious!

I'm having to get a heat treatment for my house since my uncle (who lived in a group home) tracked in bed bugs without telling us. Worried about my legos getting damaged, found some Reddit threads and people are saying that Lego won't warp or lose its clutch power at temperatures below 140 degrees? I hope that's true. They said it would be 130 in the house.

iuuk

I'm having to get a heat treatment for my house since my uncle (who lived in a group home) tracked in bed bugs without telling us. Worried about my legos getting damaged, found some Reddit threads and people are saying that Lego won't warp or lose its clutch power at temperatures below 140 degrees? I hope that's true. They said it would be 130 in the house.
I have no clue how much the bricks can endure, but is there no possibility (too much LEGO?) for you to move your sets to another house for a while, or at least the big/important ones? I can't imagine that it'll be that great for your sets, definitely not for the stickers.

For my own LEGO news, with the Falcon still in its box, and me doubting whether or not to keep it I did manage to find room for my Destiny's Bounty (damn you Amazon discounts...):

What a great ship. I couldn't care less about Ninjago, but it looking like a real junker makes it a great addition to my window sill display. Ignored the stickers because I don't think constant sunlight is that good for them.

I don't have any modulars yet (still waiting for Palace Cinema) and I see this sentiment a lot, that Brick Bank is so-so. How come? From the pictures and videos I think it looks awesome with some inventive play features to boot. Is it lacking in fun techniques or is it the general look of it? I'm really curious!

It just looks kind of plain next to the other buildings, and while there were some cool techniques throughout it, nothing seemed to just jump out about it either.
I might go back and tear it down to rebuild it to see if that changes things. I haven't done that with a modular in years.
But sometimes disassembling something gives me a better appreciation for the set. An Unexpected Gathering set from The Hobbit was like that for me.

It just looks kind of plain next to the other buildings, and while there were some cool techniques throughout it, nothing seemed to just jump out about it either.
I might go back and tear it down to rebuild it to see if that changes things. I haven't done that with a modular in years.
But sometimes disassembling something gives me a better appreciation for the set. An Unexpected Gathering set from The Hobbit was like that for me.

Alright, makes sense since everyone's taste differ. I don't know how it looks sizewise next to the other modulars but by itself is has a certain grandeur that really tickles me in the right way.

Alright, makes sense since everyone's taste differ. I don't know how it looks sizewise next to the other modulars but by itself is has a certain grandeur that really tickles me in the right way.

If you like one modular, it's best to buy them ALL. :) I started with the Fire Brigade and skipped the Town Hall. Partly due to price (it was $50 more than previous modulars) and reviews that build experience/techniques were meh (until roof part). I regret not buying it. Reason I say buy them all if you can, is you can most likely sell it used later for close to same price you bought it or even make some money. Town Hall aftermarket price is very high due to low production amount and short shelf-life (low interest in the set in general).

I loved it in pictures, but once I built it it didn’t look as grand.
Meanwhile, Detrctives Office looked okay in pics but I love how it looks in person.

If you like one modular, it's best to buy them ALL. :) I started with the Fire Brigade and skipped the Town Hall. Partly due to price (it was $50 more than previous modulars) and reviews that build experience/techniques were meh (until roof part). I regret not buying it. Reason I say buy them all if you can, is you can most likely sell it used later for close to same price you bought it or even make some money. Town Hall aftermarket price is very high due to low production amount and short shelf-life (low interest in the set in general).

Yeah that is the plan. The idea is to pick up the available modulars, the old fishing store and some of the creator 3-1 sets to make a small city display.

I loved it in pictures, but once I built it it didn’t look as grand.
Meanwhile, Detrctives Office looked okay in pics but I love how it looks in person.

Ah okay, guess I will find out in time. The sucky part is that I can't really go on shopping spree so silently (and not so silently here on Gaf) I have to long for the sets in agony. If nothing else happens I probably won't have Assembly Square until earliest next winter for example.

Ponn

Banned
I have no clue how much the bricks can endure, but is there no possibility (too much LEGO?) for you to move your sets to another house for a while, or at least the big/important ones? I can't imagine that it'll be that great for your sets, definitely not for the stickers.

For my own LEGO news, with the Falcon still in its box, and me doubting whether or not to keep it I did manage to find room for my Destiny's Bounty (damn you Amazon discounts...):

What a great ship. I couldn't care less about Ninjago, but it looking like a real junker makes it a great addition to my window sill display. Ignored the stickers because I don't think constant sunlight is that good for them.

Imp Flagship is my white whale. Ive always been a salty dog i just missed it and all the PoTC ships.

Haines

Banned
Ucs tie is on discount on amazon.ca

Any reason this set needs grabbed like retirement soon and it will skyrocket in price on ebay after

Or can i just wait and watch

iuuk

Imp Flagship is my white whale. Ive always been a salty dog i just missed it and all the PoTC ships.
Imperial Flagship is actually the reason I got back into LEGO. It was one of those sets I always liked and pulled the trigger right after it went out of production and actually felt somewhat bad about paying €10 over RRP when it was on discount right before... Don't regret that anymore. It's also the reason i missed out on the PotC ships, because they really couldn't compare (not in the least because they lacked an elevated deck). I do somewhat regret not buying the Black Pearl, but there's no room for too many ships anyway and the Destiny's Bounty is brilliant/looks better than any of the PotC ships.

But if there's any set LEGO should just rerelease it's that one. I wouldn't even care about mine losing its resale value, because there's no way I'm ever going to sell it.

The Destiny's bounty may just be the next best thing though. It's lacking in size and the pirate/16th century ship appeal, but building techniques have improved and it's still a looker.

Ryuuroden

Falcon passed the durability test, 3 year old just slammed her fist on it like 6 times in succession. Barely any damage. I think she thought the exhaust ports were wack a mole.

Kayhan

I found some discounted sets (new, sealed, but damaged box) I might want to order from BrickLink.

Does BrickLink have a good reputation? Reliable seller?

Edit: Looks like BrickLink is just the go-between. The seller is UTINNI! Trading Company

Can the companies listed on BrickLink be trusted?

Top Bottom