• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Kurita

this sounds better than any track on &DNA

tumblr_otwdt2ytKt1t107ayo3_250.gif

Naaaaah

JYOCHO『グラスの底は、夜』
Gonna assume they've already been discussed in the thread since it's the new band by Uchu Conbini's leader, and it's already their second album but I just discovered them today. So freaking good. Peaceful, soothing sound. Loving it.

Kurita

DADARAY will make their major debut through unBORDE (like Gesu and indigo)

--
Formation for the new Keyakizaka46 single
Habu, Ozeki and Ishimori finally in front (I think every member has experienced the first line now). Hirate still center.
Also, Neru is now just a kanji team member, she's leaving the hiragana team (they're getting like 6 or 7 new members soon anyway so)
Hope they'll reveal the details about it this week, looking forward to the new uniform.

Creepy Nuts debut single 『高校デビュー、大学デビュー、全部失敗したけどメジャーデビュー。』 will release on November 8th.

broz0rs

Fantastic new track from Morning Musume 17

モーニング娘。'17 - 邪魔しないで Here We Go!
-------------------------------------

I used to be a huge fan of MM during the late 90's, and I skipped their music the past decade or so. I've caught up with some of their stuff recently and it's solid. They're great performers for a large idol group.

This medley that they performed during a concert blew me away. What gets me is how regular and dry they are at the start, and they are all fucking drenched by the end lol. I had legit chills by the end of this performance.

Morning Musume '14 - Medley
---------------------------------------

Lastly, here's a LINE LIVE stream broadcast of two Japanese actresses, the Chosen One Hirose Suzu, and ex-AKB member Paruru, being super cute for half an hour with English subs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcYXDAu7FKA

Formation for the new Keyakizaka46 single

Habu, Ozeki and Ishimori finally in front (I think every member has experienced the first line now). Hirate still center.
Also, Neru is now just a kanji team member, she's leaving the hiragana team (they're getting like 6 or 7 new members soon anyway so)
Hope they'll reveal the details about it this week, looking forward to the new uniform.

Looks like they're wearing suits in the next one:

oricon_2097880_0.jpg

Finished watching the 2nd Keyakizaka46 drama last night, 残酷な観客達.

I watched Who Killed Daigoro Tokuyama? with subs and loved every second of it. Watched this one in Japanese, and, while I know my Japanese is only mediocre, this was a big disappointment. I loved the concept at first but it just didn't seem to go anywhere or work.

Minor spoilers:
I was hoping for an ending that would bring things together but I just don't think the story made sense, and the reviews I've found on Japanese sites seem to agree. This also seemed to be a rush job cobbled together around issues like Imaizumi's absence (she just randomly disappears at one point), Hirate's voice issues (some serious dubbing near the end), and the group's schedule in general (a bunch of the girls just stop showing up in the episodes at some point). All of the stuff with the audience characters ultimately fell flat with no apparent purpose as well. I get the general idea regarding how cruel and detached the internet can be, but if this was the thesis it wasn't really fleshed out or transformed into anything more meaningful via the story.

Honestly the best thing about the show was getting to listen to "Eccentric" at the end of every episode.

I'm hoping the Hiragana Keyaki drama coming out later this year utilizes their relative availability to produce something better.

Slowdive

Banned
There's going to be a new WACK group called SAiNT SEX, members are Aina, Saki, Ayuni D, Pour Lui, Aya, Yua and Miki. First single is called WACK IS FXXK.

Peru

Fantastic new track from Morning Musume 17

モーニング娘。'17 - 邪魔しないで Here We Go!
-------------------------------------

I used to be a huge fan of MM during the late 90's, and I skipped their music the past decade or so. I've caught up with some of their stuff recently and it's solid. They're great performers for a large idol group.

Well the MM and Hello Project stuff in general has been mostly great to amazing the last five or so years. Underrated, I'd say, for a sound unique in j-pop and pop in general.

Zoe

MM is basically the only act I follow these days. Everybody else either isn't doing anything or are only doing things that can be followed in Japan.

It's time for them to cut their numbers though. They either need to bring back Otome/Sakura gumi or have more graduations. I don't want things to go back to when all lines were sung by only two girls, but there's not enough individuality right now.

Kurita

New KANA-BOON album released today, phew what a good ass 4th album. Reminds me a lot of their 2nd one, TIME, actually. From the very upbeat, fast first two tracks, to the emotional, "let's go forward" closing tune. Some groovy tunes in there too. They said that Origin (3rd album) was the one where they went back to their roots, but I actually feel like this one has even more old-school KANA-BOON elements. Actually... it might just be the most KANA-BOON album to date lol
I also kinda felt like the sound is more "raw"? They said they changed their recording environment and everything, looks like it had an influence.
The 3 singles also sound better surrounded by the new songs. They were all great to begin with, but they fit so well into that album.

Need a few more spins but yeah, I'm already in love. Good job.
--

おいしくるメロンパン「あの秋とスクールデイズ」

Myriadis

I'm planning to order some cds from Japan via Discogs and the seller I want to order from says that while the price for shipping is a bit expensive it is the same no matter how many cds I buy. And now I really want to make that one count.

So far I have four CDs:
Salyu x Salyu - soundbeams
Ringo Shiina - Kalk Samen Kuri no Hana
School food punishment - Air feel, Color Swim (especially the jazzy/prog parts!)
Fishmans - Long Season

Any idea what else I could like? About two or three more surely wouldn't hurt for me. I'm also thinking about getting one album from Sundays and Cybele. Anyways, suggestions are welcome!

Kurita

Full version of the new Keyakizaka46
https://twitter.com/hirahira0423/status/913766506646749184
Loving it so much

Damn, this is pretty good.

Gonna take the opportunity and ask, what are some idol groups that don't sound much like idols (like this and Especia) that you guys recomend?

They've already been mentioned but yeah : BiS, BiSH, Maison book girl, PassCode, Oyasumi Hologram, sora tob sakana are what I listen to outside of Keyakizaka46.
BiSH, PassCode and Maison Book girl are definitely my favorites of the bunch.

Kansoku

Wow thanks, some great stuff in there guys. Loved Hauptharmonie, フィロソフィーのダンス, ゆるめるモ!, ヤなことそっとミュート and sora tob sakana. And I was already familiar with ・・・・・・・・・ and 婦人倶楽部, they're great as well.

Kurita

Listening to the new KANA-BOON album right now and it’s great.
Yuuuup
Like I said I think it's the most KANA-BOONish album they did. Feels like the essence of the band is perfectly showcased.
Might be too safe in some way? But didn't prevent me from loving every second of it.
Especially love 涙, それでも僕らは願っている, way back no way back

The best part of being so late to the scene is finding all the good old stuff. I just learned about ART-SCHOOL thanks to their recent release スカ-トの色は青, and their old stuff is AMAZING. They're like the Japanese Get Up Kids. I especially love Miss World and FADE TO BLACK.

Meanwhile, Spotify just uploaded a new album to their profile today, but I'm pretty sure that is a different ART SCHOOL. The band name also makes them a little hard to google due to all the real art schools. A gentle reminder for all of us when we think of band names in the era of search engine optimization.

Top Bottom