• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameXplain draw 7 Mario Odyssey details Nintendo wouldn't let them show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMkVaTj77o0&feature=youtu.be&a=
This is quite a way around the embargo!
7. Smoke clings to Mario in the Cap Kingdom
6. Charles Marinet tries to speak when Mario becomes a frog but it just comes out as "Ribbits"
5. 8 bit version of the Odyssey is used during a loading screen
4. Camera can be controlled during cut scenes to an extent
3. Opening cut scene has some pretty big changes compared to its debut. Mario missing his hat in a scene where he had it originally for instance.
2. Bowser talks to an extent. He'll say words like "Mario" and "Peach" during his growls
1. Opening cut scene begins in the Mushroom Kingdom. The castle however is slightly different to Mario 64's with it all being submerged in the moat and certain other aspects have been redesigned. Key details surrounding the castle are also different to 64.

Yukinari

Bowser said a few words in Inside Story so im glad theyre trying that idea again without going full on Sunshine.

SHOWTIIIME

Kouriozan

So much spoilers, tempted to click...
Nah, it's just one month away and I want to be extra surprised myself, since it appear it'll be big.

that was dumb but nintendo is not going to blacklist a youtube channel with almost a million subscribers that basically focuses on nintendo. yeah they don't really like other people making money of their stuff but this is different.

this is also minor stuff and i'm pretty sure you were allowed to talk about everything, just not capture it.

Camjo-Z

I don't understand why they risk being blacklisted just to reveal dumb stuff like this....

Lol that super wasn't worth it relative to the risk. Godspeed I guess

I think they'll be fine.

I'm guessing for legal purposes, Nintendo said you could talk about these elements, but not show the actual gameplay? I mean, if not, then you might get blacklisted by Nintendo, and I'd rather that not happen.

GameXplain
Yes, we can talk about then :) The headline makes it sound way more more defiant than it actually is lol, we just needed something for you to look at so decided to have Tom mock it up based on my descriptions

LQX

We don't need to know every damn thing before release. Some surprises can be be good. Hell, I wish some of the threads titles did not give so much away for those of us that sort of want to go in fresh.

Mariolee

We don't need to know every damn thing before release. Some surprises can be be good. Hell, I wish some of the threads titles did not give so much away for those of us that sort of want to go in fresh.

What thread titles are giving so much away?

I was on YouTube and some Youtuber put a spoiler for Mario Odyssey in the title and the thumbnail. It definitely made me kind of mad.

I was on YouTube and some Youtuber put a spoiler for Mario Odyssey in the title and the thumbnail. It definitely made me kind of mad.

not only people are being completely bonkers with actual spoilers, clickbait for this game has been really insane. I don't know if I just missed it for other games but it feels like only 1 in 10 discussion videos don't have some sort of lie in the title, it's super annoying :/

Some wonderful titles I've encountered (mentions a spoiler that's in the Gamexplain vid above):
- "SUPER LUIGI ODYSSEY!!!!! Luigi is playable in Odyssey? (Theory)", except you can only see the question mark and "Theory" after you click on the video.

- "ALL KINGDOMS IN MARIO ODYSSEY", except it's, y'know, 'so far' and the day after this vid was released they revealed two more.

- "FOOTAGE OF MUSHROOM KINGDOM", except it's the same goddamn painting we've already seen and there's ZERO footage of the Mushroom Kingdom.

- "MARIO ODYSSEY'S FILE SIZE REVEAL! AS BIG AS ZELDA???", no. It's 5.7 GB. It's not as big as Zelda, goddammit.

not only people are being completely bonkers with actual spoilers, clickbait for this game has been really insane. I don't know if I just missed it for other games but it feels like only 1 in 10 discussion videos don't have some sort of lie in the title, it's super annoying :/

Some wonderful titles I've encountered (mentions a spoiler that's in the Gamexplain vid above):
- "SUPER LUIGI ODYSSEY!!!!! Luigi is playable in Odyssey? (Theory)", except you can only see the question mark and "Theory" after you click on the video.

- "ALL KINGDOMS IN MARIO ODYSSEY", except it's, y'know, 'so far' and the day after this vid was released they revealed two more.

- "FOOTAGE OF MUSHROOM KINGDOM", except it's the same goddamn painting we've already seen and there's ZERO footage of the Mushroom Kingdom.

- "MARIO ODYSSEY'S FILE SIZE REVEAL! AS BIG AS ZELDA???", no. It's 5.7 GB. It's not as big as Zelda, goddammit.

Sounds like Switch Force videos lol

chemicals

as an oldschool Mario fan in the 80's (HOURS of Mario Bros and Donkey Kong on my Atari 5200) Then playing SMB in the arcades.. then actually playing the same game at home on the NES a year later...

I'm so excited that we get a major new Mario game this year. Kind of funny to look at how Mario (Odyssey) and Zelda (BOTW) are still two of the top franchises all of these years later. Nintendo magic.

Yeah that's Switchforce lol. They called out on it in their comments and they still do it. Some other Youtubers do it too to get the clicks like you said. They know this is a big game.

Mariolee

Frog suit etc., but I guess they probably already showed video of it.

Yeah exactly, that was in the second major E3 trailer. I personally think that for those on media blackout NeoGAF has been very good about not spoiling Odyssey in thread titles.

Sounds like Switch Force videos lol
Yeah that's Switchforce lol. They called out on it in their comments and they still do it. Some other Youtubers do it too to get the clicks like you said. They know this is a big game.
Yuuup, that's one of them. Another big name is 'Blocked Content', I think. I guess they'll keep doing it as long some people defend, saying it's not clickbait because "there's a question mark at the end" or some dumb shit.

And like, I'm pretty sure Youtube is now sorting shit based on "minutes watched", not just pure clicks? It's why some people try to stretch simple information like a photo of a new character to 4/5 minutes, and need to keep talking about 'questions of the day' and how their channel works and random opinions, or whatever, so the videos are long enough to make them anything. So I don't think clicking to check and then bailing out 30 seconds in after checking the comments even helps them? Still annoying though!

Nintendo being protective over stuff is making me worry about the quality of the game. I hope they send review copies out.

There was an event last week where Nintendo brought press from all over the globe and let them play each Kingdom for around one hour and a half. They're just being protective over secrets so not everything is spoiled for everyone lmao, they've been showing as much of the game as they can otherwise.

Yeah, nothing to major here, though nice to see Bowser getting the BIS treatment again, lol.
Liking that new castle design, looking forward to seeing the new interior.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
are they trying to get blacklisted or something?

Top Bottom