• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As a Wii-U owner, what is my motivation to Switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seik

Banned
The games are going to come out on this console from now on so if you want new Nintendo games, logically, you gotta Switch™. Wii U is officially dead right after the launch of Zelda.

Portability factor is a neat plus as well.

Lilo_D

So obvious, future Nintendo output for both home and handheld
It's the true value and you can't buy them else where
I already have a 1070 pc, I don't think I really care 3rd party or `graphics` on console

entremet

New games? Like any new console.

What a weird thread premise honestly. Unless you're fine replaying the Wii U library for ages, I don't get your point.

I love retro gaming and while the Wii U is far from that being that, the conceit with any new consoles is always new games.

You like Splatoon? Well you can't play the sequel on the Wii U.

ElNino

Eventually, the Switch will have games I want to play, but not in the foreseeable future, so I have no incentive to "upgrade" to the Switch at this time.

How do other Wii-U owners feel?
This is my stance right now as well. I was all ready to get a pre-order in, but when they said that Mario was a holiday 2017 game (we'll see) that pushed me off for now.

I'm generally all in as an early adopter on new tech/platforms, but spending $500+ just to play slightly better versions of games I already own (Mario Kart 8, Splatoon) or games I will own (Zelda) doesn't make much sense. When Mario comes out, we'll see though. Would make a decent Christmas present for my kids.

TheMoon

Remember that there is no law that says that even if you hang out on GAF, you have to buy any and all things day one or otherwise forever abstain.

As someone who didn't own a Wii U I think getting the Switch now makes more sense than if I did. Particularly because of Zelda and Odyssey, but also because they are porting over Mario Kart (And presumably Smash). Nintendo hardware/software also tends to keep its price points over pretty long periods of time (Just look at how much the Wii U's cost when they took them off shelves), so I'm not expecting any meaningful price drops for the foreseeable future outside of maybe an added in game at some point. So I don't know, if I owned a Wii U I probably wouldn't be getting one now, but for those that don't I think it makes sense.

Kacho

If you're happy playing games you already have then stick to those. Give the Switch library time to fill out and eventually jumping over will make more sense.

Gartooth

The main reason to buy this in the first few months is either for future support or because you really want a portable Zelda/Mario Kart.

I'm a Wii U owner and I am perfectly fine getting Zelda for it and missing out on Mario Kart 8 battle mode.

I think the smart consumer move is to just wait out the first year and see how Nintendo reacts to the market. Waiting until Christmas for Mario Odyssey is my plan, although admittedly it would be better for me to hold out until 2018.

fabprems

You can't do this on the Wii U

source.gif

I know you quote this picture because of the milking meme, but man, this picture show people having a pretty good time goofing around while you're seem so serious and bitter trolling the internet quoting this picture...

I think the Switch is just gonna have a really slow start like some other consoles in the past. I guarantee a lot of ppl hating on it will end up owning one in 2 years as the software lineup continues to build

I'll get one eventually, but whereas I previously planned on buying it at launch, I'm now reconsidering.

Zelda is the only launch game I care about, and I can get that on Wii U. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe looks great, but I have the regular version on Wii U, and so it's not worth buying a new console for. Splatoon 2 would be the first must-have game for me, but it's not enough.

It's clear that Nintendo are banking the success of the Switch on people who don't already have a Wii U. Which as a Wii U owner is a bit irritating to be honest.

Hattori

Banned
It seems like you already know the answer. It's not our job to convince you, it's Nintendo's. If you don't feel it's justified then just wait. It's not rocket science :)

Parapraxis

For all it's faults, the Wii-U is looking pretty great right now:

1. I can continue to play Splatoon and Mario Kart online for FREE.
  2. I can share screenshots and communicate with friends via miiverse, without using an external device and Facebook.
  3. I can play local multi-player with 4 people without spending $240 or more on controllers.
  4. I can continue to play all my virtual console games that I purchased during the Wii years.
  5. And I can play Zelda Breath of the Wild, on the system it was originally designed for, and presumably move the map and other UI elements to the Gamepad, for a more immersive experience.
Eventually, the Switch will have games I want to play, but not in the foreseeable future, so I have no incentive to "upgrade" to the Switch at this time.

As a WiiU owner I will wait until at least 2018 before considering buying the Switch. The games need to be there, i'm not getting burned again. And honestly i'm skeptical that the games will arrive. They certainly won't be from 3rd parties if the Switch presentation was any indication.

EDIT: I believe the gamepad features for BotW were ditched.

sora87

I'm fine with sticking with my Wii U for now, Switch already has pretty big droughts software wise (i don't see e3 fixing that this year) and I doubt Xenoblade hits this year. I might make the switch in 2018 but for now Breath of the Wild is fine on Wii U.

I hear you. I'm getting it only because of the aggressive trade in offer GameStop has.

I have no nolstagia for the Wii U. I hardly ever played it but I want the new Zelda and Mario and I've been wanting a portable console experience for a long time since I travel a lot.

I honestly hope MS and Sony try something like this within the next couple of years with much better hardware for current gen ports that isn't bogged down with expensive, unnecessary gimmicks.

zoukka

My personal motivation is the fact that Wii U was a piece of shit hardware. A nightmare of different control methods, slow user interface, ancient online features, non-existent range on the gamepad so the dream of playing games on my bedroom never came to be.

Oh and there is literally nothing being developed on Wii U except the new Zelda so it's officially a dead platform in that regard.

Klotera

Until Mario, very little. Since BotW is the only compelling launch title, Wii U owners have little reason to jump early.

Mario will be the first time, in my opinion, that the Switch will have something compelling for existing Wii U owners.

I have a switch pre-ordered, but also have the Wii U version of BotW pre-ordered. So, may cancel Switch pre-order. If Mario had been a launch title, I'd be more likely to keep it.

As a Wii U and 3DS owner, my motivation is to continue playing upcoming and future Nintendo titles. Such as Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2 and Arms.

Bgamer90

Banned
I am getting the Switch since I like the concept of home + portable (even though Nintendo is seemingly doing everything they can to hurt it) and I want new Nintendo console titles -- the Wii U will be pretty much dead after Zelda.

JohngPR

It leaves me not wanting it at launch. I'm ok playing BotW on my Wii U for now.

The earliest I see entertaining a purchase is when Splatoon 2 comes out. That way I can play it while the online is still free and the community isn't fragmented yet.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

2. I can share screenshots and communicate with friends via miiverse, without using an external device and Facebook.
  3. I can play local multi-player with 4 people without spending $240 or more on controllers.
  4. I can continue to play all my virtual console games that I purchased during the Wii years.
  5. And I can play Zelda Breath of the Wild, on the system it was originally designed for, and presumably move the map and other UI elements to the Gamepad, for a more immersive experience.

1. Eventually the online player base will move on, and depending on how well the console does, those games may have more people playing them on Switch out of the gate.
2. Miiverse is great, but eventually Switch will have better capture capabilities.
3. You can only play local multiplayer because you already shelled out for Wii U compatible controllers earlier. This is the same problem you'd run into at literally any system launch.
4. Fair point on the VC stuff, though I'm not sure we know what the Switch VC will look like yet.
5. There's nothing about the Breath of the Wild controls that won't work on the Switch, as far as I know.

That said, I think buying systems on launch is a dicey proposition no matter what, if only because you're buying based on the promise of future games, rather than what's already there. I won't be buying at launch either, because there simply aren't enough games for it yet.

Patch13

My god that gif is in every damn thread. Good lord people

Weirdly, the moment in that gif is what sold me on 1 2 Switch. It's not just Johann Sebastian Joust without pushing; it's a deeply ridiculous game that is actually going to be a lot of fun to play with my kid, and with guests.

That said, my motivation is a full on Splatoon sequel, most likely with a new campaign, that I can play upstairs or in my office or otherwise outside of the gamepad's range. Plus, I can play Splatfests with the other members of my household, without having to trade off who gets the console & TV (yes, we are going to wind up buying multiple Switches over the summer -- hooray for blowing money on silly gadgets!)

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
I can't play Mario Oddysey, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, No More Heroes 3 etc. on my Wii U.

But you can't play any of those on the Switch either, at least for another 6-12 months. And it may be hard to believe, but I actually have a backlog of Wii-U games that I've never played (thanks to Humble Bundles and eshop fire sales).

I will definitely reevaluate once more Nintendo games are on the market, but for now, all the Switch reveal has done is given me more incentive to buy a PS4.

13ruce

Banned
Well people complain about price but before i needed a handheld and console so i spended 500+ with wii u and 3ds to enjoy all Nintendo games now i need 1 device.

Price will be cut by holidays anyway (to 249,99 probably) and there will be Zelda, Mariokart and Splatoon 2 bundles and 1 2 Switch LOL.

So the best thing is wait till holidays because then Xenoblade 2, Mario and more will be out.

It feels like they rushed Switch because of investors moaning and higher ups. (march is the last month of nintendo's fiscal year)

I bet they are gonna do their best for the holiday season thats their second chance basicly.

I'll add that my Wii U will remain hooked up as there are still games on it I want to play.

But by summer, I'll want Splatoon 2 so I might as well.... Make the Switch.

mr_chun

I pre-ordered because:

1) Supply constrain scares me (it worked Nintendo, ya bastards)
2) I prefer portables, yay portable Zelda!
3) Bomberman, PuyoxTetris
4) I really hate the WiiU gamepad

But you can't play any of those on the Switch either, at least for another 6-12 months. And it may be hard to believe, but I actually have a backlog of Wii-U games that I've never played (thanks to Humble Bundles and eshop fire sales).

I will definitely reevaluate once more Nintendo games are on the market, but for now, all the Switch reveal has done is given me more incentive to buy a PS4.
See my last post.

Btw every game I mentioned except NMH3 is supposed to be out this year.

StereoVsn

I have no motivation to get the Switch. Once Xenoblade 2, new SMT, EO, that retro SE RPG and so on hit, might pick it up then for less money and a pack in game.

It is the first Nintendo handheld with a good screen (and it's back to being region free after 3DS), it will have future Pokémon games and it has Splatoon 2, a great looking Mario game and a version of BOTW that can be played on a handheld. That (along with other Nintendo games that will inevitably come) is enough to justify a £250 purchase for me.

Trago

I am getting the Switch since I like the concept of home + portable (even though Nintendo is seemingly doing everything they can to hurt it) and I want new Nintendo console titles -- the Wii U will be pretty much dead after Zelda.

It's not as if the Switch is coming out swinging though. The lineup mapped out to us for this year is weak.

noshten

As a person who continues to spend a huge amount of time on Splatoon, Splatoon 2 is my motivation for Switch.
Portability, polished games like Zelda/MK8(with more content and on the go), big handheld titles I haven't played because I haven't had a handheld since the DS and new local multiplayer are my other reasons.

I have a PC and frankly outside of Witcher Expansion, Civ and DS3 I haven't bought any big titles in 2016 . I considered Overwatch but though I'm already getting my online multiplayer fix with Splatoon and frankly it would be difficult for Overwatch to top it at this current time.

zeexlash

Pretty much the same reason I got the Wii U at launch - I'm going to buy it anyway so might as well be there day one.

Bgamer90

Banned
It's not as if the Switch is coming out swinging though. The lineup mapped out to us for this year is weak.

I disagree. I think it's solid for its first year. Decent amount of major releases.

The Wii U's first year was FAR worse in my opinion.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Nintendo should have provided more incentive to buy this system at launch, for sure. However I do find it funny at the people that say "Don't buy a console at launch" then proceed to get upset when 3rd parties refuse to make games for the system.

The only way a publisher will even glance at the Switch is if sells a buttload at launch. Shit even then they probably won't give a shit, but the Switch bombing won't help.

If you plan on buying a system and want to see it succeed, buy it when it launches. If you no longer like it, sell it.

I didn't buy my Wii U until it had ten games I wanted, took about 2 years. I'm very happy with it and didn't need to suffer the droughts of software. I'll be doing the same for Switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom