• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concept Artwork For "Epic Mickey"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acosta

Odyssey said:
Hey! Remember when everyone gave American McGee shit for doing the same thing? Not defending him-it was stupid, unimaginative, teen-baiting shock material before and it's the same now.

Yes, that's how I am able to make this judgment.

Alice in Wonderland (and the sequel) was already dark and twisted from its source. Disney's properties are not dark and twisted, so this is more shocking.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Acosta said:
Alice in Wonderland (and the sequel) was already dark and twisted from its source. Disney's properties are not dark and twisted, so this is more shocking.

Not to mention other adaptations did similar things. Its not some new trend. Hell, fantasy and fairy tale lit. have been twisting old tales forever.

Plus you are right. Alice was pretty bad in execution. But the concept wasnt a bad idea. It needed a better designer, since we've all seen that McGee just wants to twist things and not do or say anything interesting.

HK-47 said:
Isnt that being unfair? Have you seen the average deviantart page? You are both crazy.
Yes, I have. There are a lot of very talented teenage artists who pretty much just lack creativity. They go on to work in the video game industry, where creativity is not welcome. It all works out well.

For what it's worth, I think that Phantom Blot design sucks. "Oh, it would be so EDGY and X-TREME to take a Mickey villain who's just a guy in a black sheet and redesign him as though he were a boss in an M-rated horror game!"

Nearly everything else is amazing, though.

Vinci

Danish
Segata Sanshiro said:
Yes, I have. There are a lot of very talented teenage artists who pretty much just lack creativity. They go on to work in the video game industry, where creativity is not welcome. It all works out well.

:lol :lol

Odyssey

Banned
Hey guys, I found a concept drawing of Pluto!

2vxrd7c.png

AceBandage said:
You're just trying to get your time on this site shortened, aren't you?
This post is much more worse than anything I've said in this topic. How about you try to defend the art rather than threaten people?

Mashing

Well, it definitely looks like the game is going to incorporate a lot of the lesser known Disney characters (Briar Bear--I think that's his name--Oswald, etc...). Very interesting.

meme

Banned
Odyssey said:
Why are you laughing? He's completely right.

Dude, if you don't like it, why are you still posting here? Everyone knows you don't like it, congratulations, now GTFO

wsippel

Banned
Mashing said:
Well, it definitely looks like the game is going to incorporate a lot of the lesser known Disney characters (Briar Bear--I think that's his name--Oswald, etc...). Very interesting.
And we've mostly seen very old IPs and a retro style. The strange thing is that Pixar is also somehow involved in this project. I guess they'll only help out doing 3D models and cutscenes or something, because having Oswald next to, say, Wall-E would make this project even more weird...

Yackie

I'm not a fan of steampunk, it usually irritates me. Or really, its the fans of steampunk that irritate me I guess. < <.....> >

BUT, I can see how this could be cool, if only they would have used original characters and settings, NOT Disney related. Or maybe some kind of Return to Oz-type crazy world. As I said in my previous post, it just doesn't seem to fit with Disney.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Bah... the more I look at this, the worse it looks.

Turning your entire universe of "characters" into generic zombie-bots would be insane.

Something has to be going on with this, but this stuff just plain doesn't -work- for the characters involved. You can do "dark", you can do "epic" -- you can't do Mickey + Goofy and crudely dissolving masses.

Yackie said:
BUT, I can see how this could be cool, if only they would have used original characters and settings, NOT Disney related. Or maybe some kind of Return to Oz-type crazy world. As I said in my previous post, it just doesn't seem to fit with Disney.
Yah. This just doesn't make much sense at the moment...

wrowa

Yackie said:
It doesn't fit with Disney, right. And you now what? That's exactly why people are excited for this game.

Acosta

It´s just conceptual art, if you want to try to figure the story, setting and the end of the game with some pics, do it, but don't think that will lead to any accurate opinion of what is going on.

Yackie

wrowa said:
It doesn't fit with Disney, right. And you now what? That's exactly why ironic emo teens are excited for this game.
Fixed.

But in all seriousness, I guess I can see the appeal, but its not for me. That's just, like, my opinion man.

Korey

DavidDayton said:
Bah... the more I look at this, the worse it looks.

Turning your entire universe of "characters" into generic zombie-bots would be insane.

Something has to be going on with this, but this stuff just plain doesn't -work- for the characters involved. You can do "dark", you can do "epic" -- you can't do Mickey + Goofy and crudely dissolving masses.
Yea, but I doubt this is the case. The player's gonna need heroes and characters to relate to, I doubt any of them are zombie-bots. Someone said earlier that the goofy could be an animatronic of some sort. In any case, we really can't tell from just ten or so concept arts. Also, if disney is greenlighting this, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt. They're much more invested in the integrity of their properties than any of us are (I'd say most of us aren't, at all...other than KH).

wsippel

Banned
meme said:
This CAN'T be official, how the hell Disney would make this, they never made anything remotely similar.
Most (all?) of the images are by Al Columbia, not by Disney. They look old, but Al Columbia was actually born in 1970. Fantagraphics published some of his books.

wsippel

Banned
SteelAttack said:
Those last ones are far more disturbing than decaying mecha-Goofy. They're not related with this projet, aren't they?
They are not. They have nothing to do with Disney, either. They are not even remotely old.

The feeling I'm getting from all this that its a mix between dark and whimsy(obviously). But it also looks like the story might involve a look back at the art(universe) that was forgotten and abandoned after the move to color(classic disney era). All those old characters left alone to fester and create their own twisted society. Their out for revenge of sorts, capture Minney or hold the world for ransom, and Micky has to save her and stop them.

I'm merely thinking out loud, but the images do make the gears turn in you head and imagine.

HK-47 said:
Plus you are right. Alice was pretty bad in execution. But the concept wasnt a bad idea. It needed a better designer, since we've all seen that McGee just wants to twist things and not do or say anything interesting.

So true. I like Alice, but it was a big disappointment in that regard.

blizzardjesus said:
The feeling I'm getting from all this that its a mix between dark and whimsy(obviously). But it also looks like the story might involve a look back at the art(universe) that was forgotten and abandoned after the move to color(classic disney era). All those old characters left alone to fester and create their own twisted society. Their out for revenge of sorts, capture Minney or hold the world for ransom, and Micky has to save her and stop them.

I'm merely thinking out loud, but the images do make the gears turn in you head and imagine.

Makes enough sense to me.

A thread filled with striking and even wonderful art nearly ruined by whiners and tear-drinkers...the concept changes but the results are the same. Blech.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom