• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concept Artwork For "Epic Mickey"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ismaboof

Eteric Rice said:
I like it because it takes something that is normally bright and cheerfull, and turns it into something a bit creepy. Just from the concept art you can tell that something went horribly wrong in the Disney world.

I'm willing to bet that the player is going to have to restore the world. Similar to Okami.
That definatley sounds plausible. However, just based on these screenshots, I really hope after you restore said worlds, you can revert them back.

What's everyone's opinon on who the main character will be? If it is Mickey, I doubt the level of violence will match the setting. An original character?

Shiggy

Mashing said:
Someone is so getting fired for this (at Junction Point).

Both Fred Gambino and Gary Glover do not work there anymore and they will probably get no job at Disney anytime soon again.

Odyssey

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
I don't find the artwork to be juvenile. At first glance yes post-apocalyptic representations of iconic Disney imagery are bound to turn heads but to me at least it's pretty clear the direction the artists are going for is something more abstract and mysterious. It's dark certainly but it's also more than that. It shows change and adaptation to new surroundings while keeping the wonder we usually associate with the world of Disney.

If it was juvenile it would probably involve Mickey getting a shotgun and an eyepatch while Donald goes out seeking vengeance against Goofy for murdering Hewey, Dewey, and Louie. Oh and their outfits would probably be leather and maybe they'll even grow horns and spikes along their back.
It's pretty funny that a pretty good post like this ended up on the bottom of the page where it might be ignored.

At first glance it WAS intriguing, but what urks me is the idea behind the art. It feels like they're taking childhood icons and adding dark industrial themes, but for the sake of just that - a mashup that will turn heads because their childhood icons are now darker and sinister.

Shiggy

Odyssey said:
It's pretty funny that a pretty good post like this ended up on the bottom of the page where it might be ignored.

At first glance it was intriguing, but what urks me is the idea behind the art. It feels like they're taking childhood icons and adding dark industrial themes, but that's all it is - a mashup that's going to turn heads because their childhood icons now have dark industrial themes.

Why don't you simply wait until we know something about the game?

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Odyssey said:
Kinda agreed, but the artwork is pretty bad regardless.

It really depends. The sceneries are okay I think, but some of the characters, if not all, are really weird. Not in a "hey, that's original!" way but "hey, let's make the most outlandish thing ever".

The character art reminds of some of the older Blizzard art for some reason, especially the drawings in the Starcraft manual.

Vinci

Danish
For all we know, the actual game might look like Magical Quest. We have no idea at this point. I do appreciate that they're at least trying out some pretty insane ideas though for inspiration's sake.

A concept artist from Disney gave a lecture at my college once. They are seriously stringent in regards to releasing material like this. He wasn't even allowed to keep the work he produced, instead it got locked in some vault never to be touched or looked at again.

The only way he could show us his work was with some piss poor quality bootleg video which would of got him fired had they caught him filming. Their policy might have changed now however.

Odyssey

Banned
Vinci said:
For all we know, the actual game might look like Magical Quest. We have no idea at this point. I do appreciate that they're at least trying out some pretty insane ideas though for inspiration's sake.
Yeah, true. I should have faith in Spector.

Speaking of which, those mutated Disney blobs does make me think of System Shock. Maybe the storyline is that Disney created a SHODAN to manage their CGi department.

batbeg

I like it. It's an unusual mishmash of ideas, particularly one that's actually approved by Disney, but it seems relevant to take the steampunk era of modernity and industrialization into the world of Disney. It could serve as a great parallel to the company itself, though I doubt it will as that'd be just too much commentary on a company that would be, you know, publishing the game.

Been waiting to see more on this game forever. Hopefully we get a reveal by year end or so.

Odyssey said:

At first glance it WAS intriguing, but what urks me is the idea behind the art. It feels like they're taking childhood icons and adding dark industrial themes, but for the sake of just that - a mashup that will turn heads because their childhood icons are now darker and sinister.
Nothing wrong with that unless the execution is inarguably bad, which has not been the case so far, and it's Warrren Spector.

Linkup

Outside of the few pieces of art in the OP the rest of the art doesn't have much of a steampunk vibe, definitely not the space, town, and beach art.

Ramenman

WTF WTF why is this so ridiculously AWESOME ?

Oh my god D:

This looks like some crazy fan art of something that Disney would never allow to exist. Which scares me tbh.

I don't find the artwork to be juvenile. At first glance yes post-apocalyptic representations of iconic Disney imagery are bound to turn heads but to me at least it's pretty clear the direction the artists are going for is something more abstract and mysterious. It's dark certainly but it's also more than that. It shows change and adaptation to new surroundings while keeping the wonder we usually associate with the world of Disney.

If it was juvenile it would probably involve Mickey getting a shotgun and an eyepatch while Donald goes out seeking vengeance against Goofy for murdering Hewey, Dewey, and Louie. Oh and their outfits would probably be leather and maybe they'll even grow horns and spikes along their back.

Dead on.

It has a Burton-like "creepy but beautiful" style to it. It sure looks apocalyptic, but not teen-angst apocalyptic. More like "beautiful sunset in the post-apocalyptic".
Look, mutilated Dumbo is still smiling.

jay

Odyssey said:

Irks

monkey79

Reminds me a lot of the movie 9.

soldat7 said:
2e3u34x.jpg

I'm going to take a guess at the plot judging by the above pic. It looks like something really bad happened to Disney World. Nuclear bomb? Something escape from the haunted mansion? And the only thing left unchanged were the 1930's characters locked away in the vault.

If we play into the notion that all things must end after a certain period of time then it's only natural we'd see something like this happen to Disney World. The important question then is what happens next? How do the denizens of this world rise from the rubble and attempt some semblance of a normal life?

The perception here is that how would Disney World react if it was destroyed --or more likely the people who kept the world and its dreams alive disappeared for whatever reason-- and had to be rebuilt in the spirit of Disney? We look to Disney World as the actual interpretation of what we see in the various movies and cartoons Disney has produced over the years so what would it be like if all those characters got together and rebuilt what was once the closest we could ever get to living in Disney's World?

The Disney characters we know and love are not capable of creation. They are creations themselves and their thoughts were limited by what the artists and writers gave them. If everything else ended and they were all that remained what would they do? They're not familiar with the real world and how they developed new technology and means to solve the problems in life.

Why would that sea transport need giant arms and a large wheel for propulsion? Can't those Disney characters think of another way? Yet at the same time we have that maintenance creature. Hooks for feet? It's a minimalistic approach and probably the only sensible one considering gloved hands and shoes aren't exactly ideal for climbing straight up walls. The goofy-bot is held together with rope, wood, and essentially spare parts.

Yet despite it all the shining beacon of all things Disney remains untouched and out of reach. I am of course referring to the Castle. Maybe by reaching this castle a solution can be found to all the things that plague this world. This is why the Castle and the transport are bathed in light. They are by all accounts the remaining hopes and dreams of Disney World.

That's just my take on it though.

HUELEN10

monkey79 said:
I'm going to take a guess at the plot judging by the above pic. It looks like something really bad happened to Disney World. Nuclear bomb? Something escape from the haunted mansion? And the only thing left unchanged were the 1930's characters locked away in the vault.
:O That would be beyond, well EPIC!

Also, I like your avatar, but loathe the lossy artifact blurriness. Have another.

2pt3ssx.png

pulga

Banned
This looks so amazingly, fucking awesome. That Jafar, Goofy and other crap mixed together monstrosity will be the source of my nightmares.

soldat7

Odyssey said:
Anyone that thinks this is a risky investment is dumb, this is Disney targeting the same teenager market that bought into all that Nightmare Before Christmas sludge.

No, this is Disney doing something creative and mature. There is a very dark side to Disney if you pay close attention; this seems to be bringing it out to the forefront through the creative lens of Warren Spector and I'm personally very intrigued.

By the looks of it, I don't see how this would resonate well with the 'teenage crowd', at least, any more so than with an older crowd that also grew up with Disney in the background.

tenritsu

Banned
monkey79 said:
Reminds me a lot of the movie 9.

If I remember correctly, the original image file was named something to the effect of attack or whatever. So, it seems as if it's like a beach raid or something.

Gagaman

I'm not sure what to think of the concept art to be honest: some of it is really creative, and some of it, like the monster with all those Disney characters heads sticking out of it, are going a bit too far and will most likely never get approval from Disney. Take note that I love Runaway Brain, and that film is the reason I didn't have that much of a problem with Sonic turning into a Werehog (as a concept, not as how it played, though).

I feel the perfect Mickey Mouse game would be something that expands on the feel of the 'Castle/Land/World of Illusion' games, has simple Mario quality 3D platforming, and none of that pretentious Kingdom Hearts nonsense. You can make an 'epic' Disney game without having to alienate kids from it. Scary isn't a bad thing, but don't go overboard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_yaPTMLAuk

This. In 3D Mario Galaxy quality visuals. That's all I'd need.

Oh, and make it so when you beat the game you can play it again as black and white Mickey.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Holy crap that's some nice art! I hope this is still coming out...

I hope we get solid details soon, thanks for the recap of everything so far Eurogamer.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
yeah, and what people have to remember is that while "Epic Mickey" might still be in production, we don't know what specifically has been green-lit, or whether the project still resembles this at all.

HK-47 said:
Not to mention other adaptations did similar things. Its not some new trend. Hell, fantasy and fairy tale lit. have been twisting old tales forever.

Plus you are right. Alice was pretty bad in execution. But the concept wasnt a bad idea. It needed a better designer, since we've all seen that McGee just wants to twist things and not do or say anything interesting.

That's what I was fishing for in my head to describe this: McGee's brand of faux mature "edginess". That's all this is.

Haunted

GDGF said:
I don't think Disney would ever let them do this. Probably why it was leaked :lol
On the other hand, these were taken down relatively quickly after the leak, which might be good news!

This is awesome, as a huge Disney and DisneyWorld fan there is too much win here.

The machines with the seven dwarves and Alice's teacups rule.

Also Narwhals. What more could you want.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Rlan said:
>>Stuff<<

What Kingdom Hearts should've been IMO. (Hell, even CHAINSAW of HEARTS would've been better than Kingdom Hearts)

I'd buy it. Specter or not.

Wizpig

meme said:
EDIT: Just look at the Jimmy Neutron/Ant Bully ones, the game style may end up being nothing like these artworks.
This, and...
Rez said:
yeah, and what people have to remember is that while "Epic Mickey" might still be in production, we don't know what specifically has been green-lit, or whether the project still resembles this at all.
This.

wrowa

Rez said:
believe.png

I think what blizzardjesus said was pretty apt, that this could be a game based in the heritage of Disney's traditional animation, wherein the abandonment has allowed corruption to creep in and threaten the citizens. In one of the concepts the sky clearly looks like the "sun" is coming through the raised corner of a box of some sort. I see it as an Imagineer's forgotten tool chest of traditional design tools. Paint thinner, brushes, pencils, and armature for sculptures, architecture from the Disney theme parks, etc. We've seen all of that so far, and I see a world in which all of that material and history is coming to life and trying to fight for survival. If that's the direction they're going, and that's how I interpret the Beach Attack concept art, then I am truly thrilled.

Yes, to address Odyssey's concerns, some of the character designs do seem a little bit sophomoric, but as others have said, I believe they were trying to push the limits of what Disney would allow done with their IP. That's the role of concept art when you're working with somebody else's IP, you have to find the limits of the freedom you've been given. Once they've done that, they can go back in during the (much more extensive) modeling stage and temper the initial creations with better taste and judgment. So it is foolhardy at best to dismiss the game out of hand because of a few pieces of art.

mclem

Vinci said:
The Epcot Center in that one pic is haunting. That's my favorite of this batch.

That does make me wonder if we're looking at this from the wrong angle. I'm not sure this is set in 'the world of Disney', as such, the world of Mickey and Donald - Cinderella Castle exists in such a world, but Spaceship Earth and the Earffel Tower do not. They are real-world structures but not part of the fictional, er, Disneyscape (I'm making up words like crazy here trying to describe what I actually mean!)

I'm wondering if this is set in a future steampunk version of *this world*, instead, but happens to use Walt Disney World (as in the real theme park) as a setting. The 'zombies' could be some form of lifeform fused with and controlling the existing audio-animatronic robots which make up some of the theme park attractions.

If it *is* audio-animatronics, then logically there should be a zombie Ben Franklin stomping around the world somewhere (and climbing stairs!), and that would be awesome.

dukerayburn said:
I believe they were trying to push the limits of what Disney would allow done with their IP. That's the role of concept art when you're working with somebody else's IP, you have to find the limits of the freedom you've been given. Once they've done that, they can go back in during the (much more extensive) modeling stage and temper the initial creations with better taste and judgment.
That's a very interesting take on the seemingly disturbing changes that some characters (i.e. Goofy or Dumbo) have suffered in these art pieces. I got a bit lost in the thread, but if the art shown so far is not recent, there is a lot of chance that the current aesthetical approach might be more focused, tempered and a little (or a lot) less out of left field.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom