• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concept Artwork For "Epic Mickey"

Status
Not open for further replies.

AniHawk

Aaron Strife said:
This seems to be in direct contradiction of most third parties' goal on Wii, which is to surpass Carnival Games.

I just mean in general. When was the last time a game sold over 8 million copies and had no one immediately try to replicate its success?

AniHawk

HUELEN10 said:
I still am optimistic though, I love platformers. :)
Yeah, me too. I hope it's a case of a lot of talented amateurs making something. ...Where the talent goes to the level design and jumping and not so much the animation or art design or music.

In the narwhal pic with Spaceship Earth (Epcot Center ball) and the Disney MGM Studios water tower you can see the Hollywood Tower (Twilight Zone Tower of Terror) because that is actaully the twilight Zone ride would there be a copyright issue? If they got permission I wonder if they got permission to use Star Tours (Star Wars) and the Indy dark ride as well that would be sweet!

Oh and they gotta have Roger Rabbit somewhere in there! :D

for the pussies in here whinning that its "too dark for Disney" I advise you to look up the following (All from Disney):

-Disney's World War 2 propoganda cartoons
-The Watcher in The Woods
-Return to Oz
-Fantasia
-Pinnochio
-Silly Symphonies
-The Great Brain Robery (mickey short from the 90s)
-The Nightmare before Christmas
-Walt Disney & Salvador Dali's Destino
-Snow White & The Seven Dwarfs

Man can you imagine if the internet was around in the 80s. HURRR Disney can't allow Nightmare before christmas to come out its tooooo dark and scary! ("and what did Santa bring you honey? *kid holds up severed head*)

TheExodu5

Banned
What were all the bans for in this thread? I'm scared. :(

Maybe I should just avoid this thread...right after I say those shots look awesome. <3

AniHawk said:
I just mean in general. When was the last time a game sold over 8 million copies and had no one immediately try to replicate its success?
Well, competing with Mario Galaxy would require a pretty significant investment. I'd imagine that this game has been in development for years, much like Rabbids Go Home.

That and 3D platformers are pretty much on life support at this point. There are still some, but they've mostly either gone downhill over the years, or have become more action oriented. It's a genre that's almost entirely dominated by Nintendo.

MisterHero

Anticitizen One said:
for the pussies in here whinning that its "too dark for Disney" I advise you to look up the following (All from Disney):

-Return to Oz
-Fantasia
-Pinnochio
-Silly Symphonies

Man can you imagine if the internet was around in the 80s. HURRR Disney can't allow Nightmare before christmas to come out its tooooo dark and scary! ("and what did Santa bring you honey? *kid holds up severed head*)
You forgot Bambi's invisible hunter!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Anticitizen One said:

-Return to Oz
-Fantasia
-Pinnochio
-Silly Symphonies

There were also Disney comics of Mickey Mouse trying to commit suicide. Still doesn't mean that today's Disney would be willing to go that dark.

SapientWolf said:
There were also Disney comics of Mickey Mouse trying to commit suicide. Still doesn't mean that today's Disney would be willing to go that dark.

Today's Disney is giving Tim Burton free reign to make whatever movies he would like at Disney (Starting with his dark version of Alice in Wonderland)

They also made the Kingdom Hearts games that did have some pretty dark elements (although nothing like this)

Today's Disney is run by Steve Jobs and the folks at Pixar and they are willing to be bold and take chances (thats why they went ahead and greenlit Tron 2 and they have all kinds of different animation projects in development.

TheExodu5 said:
What were all the bans for in this thread? I'm scared. :(

Maybe I should just avoid this thread...right after I say those shots look awesome. <3

Just don't "omg wii is shit/awesome" and you should be fine.

I really hope this project works out--I'd love to see what Spector can do with this universe.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
SnakeswithLasers said:
Just don't "omg wii is shit/awesome" and you should be fine.

I really hope this project works out--I'd love to see what Spector can do with this universe.

Ah, No wonder.. I saw like 6-7 banned people, and I was like wtf. >.>

Parham

Banned
The art direction looks interesting. I'm intrigued to see what Spector ultimately does with the project.

AniHawk said:

Pokemon

Would Yu-Gi-Oh or Digimon count?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Anticitizen One said:
Today's Disney is giving Tim Burton free reign to make whatever movies he would like at Disney (Starting with his dark version of Alice in Wonderland)

They also made the Kingdom Hearts games that did have some pretty dark elements (although nothing like this)

Today's Disney is run by Steve Jobs and the folks at Pixar and they are willing to be bold and take chances (thats why they went ahead and greenlit Tron 2 and they have all kinds of different animation projects in development.
I guess what gave me pause wasn't just the fact that the art was dark. It was the way that Disney's cherished icons were being portrayed as decaying monstrosities. I just don't think Disney's company culture would allow them to release something like that. They spend a considerable amount of resources lobbying congress to prevent this very thing from happening.

On a semi-related note, this made me want to listen to a GFW Radio show from GDC '08 that featured Warren Spector (Related to "Epic Mickey") and Paul Wedgewood (Splash Damage, dudes making Brink). Thankfully, 1UP archived and still hosts the mp3's.

I remember both Spector and Wedgewood having insightful things to say and interesting anecdotes. I also recall Spector making a few references to Epic Mickey, but mostly sidestepping most of their questions.

Still a great listen, though. I wholeheartedly recommend it. One of my favorite GFW's.

http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3?http://download.gamevideos.com/Podcasts/CGW/021908.mp3

squinters

astigmatic
Wow, I come back to this thread and see over 5 people banned. But enough about them, lets try to get some disscusion on the game. It seems like all signs are pointing to a platformer, but looking at the character artwork and the eviornments I'm guessing this we end up being more platformer-action (more action than Mario, less than Ratchet).

This looks like it'll creep the shit out of me, and probably rape some fond childhood memories, but damn if it doesn't look promising anyway.

My god... the carnage in this thread... when this game is officially announced we're going to need a disclaimer or else the body count will be even higher.

I can't wait to hear more about this game though :D I can feel myself getting hyped already, just on the potential of it.

Rpgmonkey

It's like there was a war between two groups, and a third group came in and nuked both of them. :lol

Though, technically that is kinda what happened...

And so I'll add more than my previous "eh...", I like the one of the boat...thing and the various locations, but I can't say I'm feeling the designs of the robot Disney characters and such.

Sadist

AniHawk said:
Third Parties: "WE CAN'T COMPETE WITH NINTENDO!!!

AniHawk said:
It's actually 27. I don't think I've seen a body count so high.
Ouch.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So, here is my Epic Mickey.
I've basically had him my entire life.
My sister was like 4 or 5 when I was born and according to family legend on her first trip to Disneyland after my mom got pregnant she picked this out for me.

It literally has been with me through everything. When I was like 5 or 6 and taking swim lesson I would not jump off the diving board without my Mickey.

As you can probably tell from the photo, his eyes are sharpied in, his mouth has been reconstructed, and nearly every seam on his body has been resewn.

This game looks fucking incredible but Mickey is epic no matter what he appears in.
acmea.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom