• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concept Artwork For "Epic Mickey"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinci

Danish

meme

Banned
Wow this is at the same time the one of the most strange and awesome things I've seen, hard to believe it's actually an official project and not fanmade.
Hope we get some news soon.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Isn't pretty jerky to hotlink images from someone's site without anything resembling their permission or knowledge & eat up their bandwidth?

tenritsu

Banned
cuyahoga said:
Isn't pretty jerky to hotlink images from someone's site without anything resembling their permission or knowledge & eat up their bandwidth?

Ehhh, I guess. I'll just link them then

Vinci said:
Dude, don't stress yourself out over it. It's going to happen for likely another two to three years given how long this gen might be. Just ignore it.

phantom_blot_infusion.jpg

WTF?!

Mice making blob creatures?
Hmm.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
you know, you can actually get a gun cheaper than a wii.

what you do with it is up to you, but. . . you have to admit not playing this game would be pretty depressing, and there's that whole "mother not really loving you" thing to consider. . .

Teasel

Wizpig said:
Not with Mickey and Goofy like... those artworks.
I mean... damn.

"Darkest" [which obviously WASN'T "dark"] Mickey we had was this

and it's not as creepy as some of those artworks.

Sorry, it's just that i still don't know if i like what i've seen.
Artworks are awesome, but why Mickey and Goofy? it seems they are trying too hard to please people that want a mature version of everything.

what movie is that?

So at best this seems like a late 2010 title? Hopefully they use the Disney characters better than Square-Enix did in the Kingdom Hearts series. This is definitely now on my radar, no matter which console it comes out for.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Noooooooo, is that Br'er Bear on the scorpion thing?

;_;

EDIT: Oh shit (again)! That first picture linked to (with the dripping guy surrounded by tentacles) is titled "Phantom Blot", which happens to be one of Mickey's oldest villains.

Whadafak!

Odyssey

Banned
Dever said:
Holy shit

Why can't other games be as imaginative as this?
What? This looks like something a teenager thought of. Wow! A franchise of children cartoons mixed with a mature setting? What a wacky combination!

SovanJedi said:
Noooooooo, is that Br'er Bear on the scorpion thing?

;_;

EDIT: Oh shit (again)! That first picture linked to (with the dripping guy surrounded by tentacles) is titled "Phantom Blot", which happens to be one of Mickey's oldest villains.

Whadafak!

PhantomBlot.gif

I had forgotten about him...

Vinci

Danish
Odyssey said:
What? This looks like something a teenager thought of. Wow! A franchise of children cartoons mixed with a mature setting? What a wacky combination! /sarcasm

Yeah, I'm not 100% sold on the concept art itself - but I'm amazed by the fact that it's part of an official project. That's just mind-boggling.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Odyssey said:
What? This looks like something a teenager thought of. Wow! A franchise of children cartoons mixed with a mature setting? What a wacky combination!

Hey doing that was wonderful in Fables...though most of the original tales and stories were quite dark.

And the setting was NYC as opposed to post apocaland.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Vinci said:
Yeah, I'm not 100% sold on the concept art itself - but I'm amazed by the fact that it's part of an official project. That's just mind-boggling.

Same here. They seem to go all out on the project, but er... I don't know.

NotSaturn

Banned
As good as it looks, it's still just concept art. Who knows what will end up actually in the game and how, or how it will look with the Wii rendering it. I don't get all the fuss over concept art - they usually look great, even for games who turn out to be mediocre.

Junction Point is better to deliver seeing the reception these illustrations got. People will be expecting for alot, from no pressure or hype - now they have to deliver.

Eteric Rice

Second said:
No, ofcourse not.

What makes those art desings so amazing is its scale. And that scale is doable with Ps360.
Look at Banjo 3. That scale will never be doable with the Wii hardware.

But I'm not complaining. This could be good anyway.

I dunno, have you looked at Monster Hunter 3 lately?

Saturn said:
As good as it looks, it's still just concept art. Who knows what will end up actually in the game and how, or how it will look with the Wii rendering it. I don't get all the fuss over concept art - they usually look great, even for games who turn out to be mediocre.

Junction Point is better to deliver seeing the reception these illustrations got. People will be expecting for alot, from no pressure or hype - now they have to deliver.

Because it's freaking zombie Goofy and some weird deformed Hefalump...

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Ralys said:
:D These have been in the back room at some of the cali offices at Disney for a while, glad they leaked :D
Hmm…any other details you can share with us?

Odyssey

Banned
Hey! Remember when everyone gave American McGee shit for doing the same thing? Not defending him-it was stupid, unimaginative, teen-baiting shock material before and it's the same now.
Cowie said:
Have you ever seen a teenager's deviantart account?
Yes, that's how I am able to make this judgment.

Odyssey said:
This literally looks like a teenager's deviantart account.

Pretty much! The environment stuff was semi-interesting, but these enemy/character designs are just really stupid "dark" shit. Just get Marilyn Manson to cover some well known Disney film ballads for the soundtrack and thats a wrap.

FoneBone said:
I can't believe that Disney would OK something with such dark art direction. Not that I'm complaining, mind you.

Disney green lighted Gargoyles. You know that epic fusion of Shakespearean lore with modern times that crossed the line into bestiality and cyborg fetishes. :|

Don't get me wrong. It still stands as one of my favorite TV shows of all time but it certainly moved into many places (I've only scrapped the surface) Disney shows normally don't go. Disney movies otoh have touched on very serious subject matters long before Gargoyles came along but were more careful to cover up the uncomfortable facts of their movies like "The Fox And The Hound" and "The Hunchback Of Notre Dame."

Mothlight

Banned
Odyssey said:
Hey! Remember when everyone gave American McGee shit for doing the same thing? Not defending him, it was stupid, unimaginative, teen-baiting shock material before and it's the same now.

Wha-? Judgments on concept art from someone that can't differentiate between too totally dissimilar aesthetics.

Yackie

It looks cool, but its MICKEY MOUSE! It just doesn't work for me.

I'm reminded of my problems with Kingdom Hearts. I just couldn't get past the weird juxtaposition of FF characters with Disney character. I mean, why? It did not make sense to me to the point where I couldn't get into the game. I might be the only one who had this problem :(

Ralys

Banned
cuyahoga said:
Hmm…any other details you can share with us?

No, i'm not involved with this, or even really know what it is, all I know is they've been plastered along the offices when I go into work.

Cowie

Odyssey said:
Hey! Remember when everyone gave American McGee shit for doing the same thing? Not defending him-it was stupid, unimaginative, teen-baiting shock material before and it's the same now.

There was something implied there, but I think it's lost on you.

Tell you what, you keep trolling this thread, and we'll keep listening to you. Honest.

I love how the 'Paint Thinner' scaffold is made out of pencils (in the collection of three images anyway)

It's a subtle touch but brings it all together and makes it believable that it's in the Disney Universe.

tenritsu

Banned
Ralys said:
No, i'm not involved with this, or even really know what it is, all I know is they've been plastered along the offices when I go into work.

Well, if anything, what your saying indicates to me that 1. it's a pretty big project 2. Some people are excited about it enough to be plastering it along offices and 3. There's a good amount of support for it from Disney so we won't have to be worrying bout this not seeing the light of day.

Odyssey

Banned
Anyone that thinks this is a risky investment is dumb, this is Disney targeting the same teenager market that bought into all that Nightmare Before Christmas sludge.

Odyssey said:
Anyone that thinks this is a risky investment is dumb, this is Disney targeting the same teenager market that bought into all that Nightmare Before Christmas sludge.

What crawled up your ass and died?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom