• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concept Artwork For "Epic Mickey"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scribble

Wow. This is pretty inspirational. This is what games should be about!

And this should be what Kingdom Hearts was. That game stripped all the charm and soul of Disney (And I'm not just talking about the Final Fantasy bits)

Wowowowowowowowowow

soldat7 said:
From their website:

nn2jh4.jpg

Nice!

Nunchucks, remotes, sensor bars, component cables... I feel the Wii love! :D

Wow. Such amazing concept art. Hopefully the developer team is allowed to see this through completion, because this looks outstanding. The way many iconic characters and places in the Disney universe are being handled in these remarkable pieces of art is nothing short of breathtaking. Looking forward to more info about this game.

Shiggy

SirPenguin said:
Was this portion always on their website?

The bolded part, that is. Seems to be a direct response to the internet itself!

It's been there since 2007 according to archive.org.

Darkpen

Banned
Scribble said:
Wow. This is pretty inspirational. This is what games should be about!

And this should be what Kingdom Hearts was. That game stripped all the charm and soul of Disney (And I'm not just talking about the Final Fantasy bits)

Wowowowowowowowowow
Really? I admit that I would have appreciated more inclusion of classic disney songs, particularly during the Lion King level, but I imagine that was due to some sort of legal issue with the musician, and their budget couldn't afford it or something. I think they gave all of the characters from each Disney universe fair play as well.

As for something as subjective as "charm and soul," Goldfarmer would seemingly argue that this is not what a Disney game should be about.

Vinci said:
Wait. What??!

I ... that ... since when did Disney make good decisions outside of Pixar?

Well, they do own the studio, and I guess they just said "Hey, Warren, make a Mickey game. Go crazy."

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
firex said:
wrong. the game is still awesome today but it isn't for everybody. it also takes a little time to really get good, just like most RPGs.

I'm not saying it's perfect, but it's still a pretty unique experience and very satisfying, even with the old 2000-ish UT1 graphics, physics and so on. but again, it's not for everybody.

yeah, i mean, my statement obviously came from my unique perspective or whatever, but i've been more satisfied with shooter/rpg hybrids that are a bit less impenetrable in recent years (BIOSHOCK, FALLOUT 3 come to mind). i tried SYSTEM SHOCK 2 and had a similar reaction to it, which is a real shame, since i was extremely into the settings of both DEUS EX and SS2.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Vinci said:
Wait. What??!

I ... that ... since when did Disney make good decisions outside of Pixar?

Dont get too excite just yet. He also helped fuck up those franchises with Invisible War and Deadly Shadows.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
beelzebozo said:
yeah, i mean, my statement obviously came from my unique perspective or whatever, but i've been more satisfied with shooter/rpg hybrids that are a bit less impenetrable in recent years (BIOSHOCK, FALLOUT 3 come to mind). i tried SYSTEM SHOCK 2 and had a similar reaction to it, which is a real shame, since i was extremely into the settings of both DEUS EX and SS2.

How are they impenetrable? Because your stat choices actually affect what you can and cannot do? Because they have actual RPG systems unlike Bioshock, which isnt even a RPG?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
beelzebozo said:
i think games like MARIO GALAXY and even older stuff like WIND WAKER or (if you prefer) OKAMI prove that art direction is a far more important aspect than processing power.
Look at the concept art, that's all we have to judge by.
The game will never look like that, or anything close.

We may get a really cool and fun game, but it will be different.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
HK-47 said:
How are they impenetrable? Because your stat choices actually affect what you can and cannot do? Because they have actual RPG systems unlike Bioshock, which isnt even a RPG?

yes, and because the games are not that fun to me.

I can't believe we wasted so many pages arguing with that user who thought this should be PC only. Yikes, still? That ship has sailed, and then it sunk, because the Venn diagram of people who would buy a Disney license game and the people who are willing to deal with the drudgery of building and installing drivers on a gaming PC couldn't look more like two distinct spheres.

This looks phenomenal. Imaginative, daring, completely surprising. The concept art (currently) on this page shows that the giant paint thinner bottle is to scale, since the scaffolding is made of pencils. And the "sky" above the spire castle in the second piece of art reveals light coming in through the corner of a box, so this world is miniaturized.

As for the bickering about the Wii, that little box does wonderful things under the right developers. No More Heroes, Mad World, Red Steel 2, these are all Wii games that look breathtaking. And if there is a WiiHD down the road, these games will probably be able to be upscaled there. Remember the HD Galaxy pics from a while back at 720p? Epic Mickey could eventually be given the same treatment from a later Wii console.

Oh, and as for why this is darker than Fantasia, this is treasured Disney IP, usually considered to be sacrosanct, being twisted and contorted and destroyed and paint thinned and on and on. It's incredibly dark because they're risking all the good will earned by their theme parks, characters, rides, on and on, with these (frankly) nightmarish visions. It's incredibly exciting.

This looks amazing. This will be my most wanted game if it is still coming. I gotta say, Wii and PC would be the two best consoles for this game. After playing some of the better games on the Wii, I'm slowly not wanting to go back to regular controllers.

Can someone rehost the concept art that was on post #109? Or at least give their original source? Missed them the first time around.

Anyways, this is definitely a title I'll keep an eye on...

edit: beaten by a minute :(

sonicmj1

The concept art looks very interesting. I'd love to see more.

I have no doubt this can work on the Wii, but they're definitely taking a risky direction, and while a dark tone in Disney isn't exactly without precedent, this is pretty extreme. I'm not fully sold that they'll pull it off yet.

While dark, dystopian steampunk can work to some degree here, it can't be the entire project. I can imagine this being really, really cool if done right, but a lot depends on how Mickey is handled. If this becomes just another adolescent power fantasy, they're grossly misusing the property.

Shiggy

Father_Brain said:
Can someone please repost the rest of the art from Post #109? Hosting it on Photobucket wasn't the best idea, apparently.

He deleted it because he was afraid of Disney. Still, the guy posted a link to where he found it, didn't he?

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
sonicmj1 said:
If this becomes just another adolescent power fantasy, they're grossly misusing the property.

That's my fear as well, but in the end we don't know anything about the game, so we'll see. I don't understand why some people are saying that they'll have to buy a Wii for this game and that it looks great. Not a single screenshot has been released so far. No info about the gameplay either. A bit too soon to call it a day 1 purchase, isn't it?

wsippel

Banned
It looks like a lot of the staff are former Ion Storm, Origin and Digital Anvil guys. Not surprising, but there definitely seems to be a lot of talent at Junction Point.

Majmun

It's a Mickey game. A Wii release is pretty obvious.

But a Wii release can never reach the "epicness" of those designs, though.

Opiate

WS: Let's make a Mickey Mouse game!
Some Guy: But Warren... the "core" gamers won't like it.
WS: Let's make it a post apocalyptic Mickey Mouse game!
SG: Excellent.

Majmun

Vinnk said:
No current gen system can.

No, ofcourse not.

What makes those art desings so amazing is its scale. And that scale is doable with Ps360.
Look at Banjo 3. That scale will never be doable with the Wii hardware.

But I'm not complaining. This could be good anyway.

Here's the concept artist's site, at least for the character and environment concepts. The stuff before the edit in the Kotaku article wasn't by him, but he did the Landing one.

There's a cloaked figure in the additional concept art on the developer site that could match up with the (very terrifying) cloaked figure in the Character section. And that character has a toon glove atop his staff, so he's almost certainly part of the world.

dukerayburn said:
Here's the concept artist's site, at least for the character and environment concepts. The stuff before the edit in the Kotaku article wasn't by him, but he did the Landing one.

There's a cloaked figure in the additional concept art on the developer site that could match up with the (very terrifying) cloaked figure in the Character section. And that character has a toon glove atop his staff, so he's almost certainly part of the world.

Walt Disney himself?!

wc0f10.jpg

tenritsu

Banned
dukerayburn said:

city.scape_1-filtered.jpg
mean-street-2-filtered.jpg

tomorrowland-filtered.jpg

There are some other really neat stuff in his site.

gerg

I think it's quite clear that this project is so unashamedly epic that to put it on any of our filthy current-gen consoles would be a waste. In fact, the game's design is so gloriously mind-blowing that to even consider putting it on a PC would be a sin against the game's true worth. In fact, these designs are far too epic to be a game at all! Rather, they shall be screened onto sky scrapers from the sky in the highest of high-definitions! This will be no game nor movie, but an event crafted by those Gods up on Mount Olympus! It shall last forty days and forty nights. People shall die! Angels will weep! It will be epic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom