• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unearthed: Trail of Ibn Battuta announced - It's Uncharted but in Arabic

snoopeasystreet said:
Your move Naughty Dog.

Should this game come out, I'll play it. Mainly to support games from different places.
Why support lazy mimicking shit? I'll play good games with no care for where the originate, to support quality.

B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
Why support lazy mimicking shit? I'll play good games with no care for where the originate, to support quality.

It's the first game from a studio in a country that doesn't really develop games. Throwing them a few quid will hardly break my wallet and maybe their next game will be something cool and original. I don't think it's that strange to want to support game development in new regions.

Takao said:
They already bet the Saudis to it:

shadow-guardian-screenshot-03.jpg

Shadow Guardian Trailer

Are his pants on fire? Game looks like such a cheap fucking knock-off lol.

snoopeasystreet said:
It's the first game from a studio in a country that doesn't really develop games. Throwing them a few quid will hardly break my wallet and maybe their next game will be something cool and original. I don't think it's that strange to want to support game development in new regions.

You're basically rewarding them not for an original idea, but for making a cheap knock-off and completely ripping off another developer.

Pimpbaa

Appollowexx said:
Damn! That's embarassing.

What's even more embarassing is how poorly it runs. Near unplayable framerate on an ipad 1, and that was before the ipad 2 came out. So they only had to worry about optimizing it for one model of the ipad and they still fucked up.

Red

Stumpokapow said:
Provided that it actually gets released, which I'm not conceding it will, I'd be happy to try it. I love the idea of game development from atypical countries. :)
Same.

MalboroRed said:
You're basically rewarding them not for an original idea, but for making a cheap knock-off and completely ripping off another developer.
I can think of at least one big developer that started similarly. Does the game Gnop sound familiar?

Radogol

shidoshi said:
It's tough, because on the one hand I totally agree with you, on the other if you do support the game, then you support their belief that they can just be lazy and copy other properties.

I'd love to believe if something like this gets them noticed and some sales, they would then use that to launch into doing their own original projects.

There was a Polish game called The Terminator for Atari, I think. It was about a time-traveling cyborg and featured Arnie's likeness. It was also completely unlicensed.

The man who made it is now an art director at Techland. He was a project leader on Bound in Blood and Dead Island among other things.

Speaking of Techland, they started off as a single stand with pirated games. Then they began"publishing" shareware games downloaded off BBS. Now they're not only a publishing power, but also one of the big three major game development companies in Poland.

RavenFox

Banned
ymmv said:
Why not show strong Arab female characters without a headscarf? Real role-models for a young generation instead of a pious muslim girl in a headscarf so traditional/orthodox/fundamentalist muslim men won't be offended?
So strong Arab women cannot wear headscarfs? Real role models?
wtf is wrong with you? did you not read her post? Your post was very insulting. So it seems you live your life based on what other people think.

Trick_GSF

Banned
Honestly, I find this game rather adorable. To Naughty Dog It's flattering, I'm sure. It isn't going to damage the Uncharted series in any way.

It's like a child copying you, doing it horribly, but you pat them on the head anyway.

Bless em, I say.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
Trick_GSF said:
Honestly, I find this game rather adorable. To Naughty Dog It's flattering, I'm sure. It isn't going to damage the Uncharted series in any way.

It's like a child copying you, doing it horribly, but you pat them on the head anyway.

Bless em, I say.
Nice avatar :p

=HERO=

Neo Member
Seems nice compared to previous Saudi developed stuff. It reminds me, not so much of Chinese ripoff games, but more like how there was "Turkish Star Wars" and "Turkish Rambo", this is "Arabic Uncharted".

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
RustyNails said:
I hope we get Arne's reaction. :p
Yeah I really wonder what ND thinks of this. Nobody likes that their work is copied.

Lighting at the beginning brought a chortle and the game is a huge bite...still its a fledgling industry....they are not going to go far unless they inject some originality/quality though

Lesiroth

SouSouRocket said:
As a Muslim woman I'm delighted to see a character like that in a game, though I wish it was in a more original property. Headscarves are not a cliche. This may come as news to you but it's an important way of life for many people. Some people may be forced to wear it, but most are not (unless they live somewhere like Saudi Arabia).

I don't wear a scarf but my mom, cousin, and several of my relatives do. I'm sorry to go off like this but I always thought it would be great to include a strong Muslim woman in some of my work and to see this kind of reaction is incredibly disheartening :(.
Indeed, it's like a carnival in here.

Lesiroth

shidoshi said:
Does anybody have more experience / knowledge with the game development scene from that part of the world? I'm really fascinated by this, and thinking about maybe pitching it as a piece to do in EGM, but know absolutely nothing about how big (or small) game development over there is.
I can only speak for Egypt due to lack of experience from other areas (haven't been to anywhere in the Gulf since my father passed away), but here it is almost nonexistant. The first commercially released PC game came out a few years ago, and even that had some trouble. There are some indie projects on the side, but nothing major really. Excluding the university I'm in, there's only one or two other (all private) universities here whose CS Departments have courses remotely related to game development.

Crunched said:
Same.

I can think of at least one big developer that started similarly. Does the game Gnop sound familiar?

You're reaching. Let's not pretend these guys are going to be the next bungie.

Gravijah said:
Except she is horrible at making hand hearts. Horrible!

It's super adorable that she's even doing the hand heart.

Getting way more technical that you meant with your joke, it's an in-game model IIRC so it's probably limits Elena's ability to do the hand heart with complete accuracy.

corkscrewblow said:
I got your back bro. Chloe >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

My eyes must have blocked out this blasphemy the first time so I missed it. Elena is the best and don't you forget it. :mad:

Stabby McSter said:
Is there a Unearthed defense force yet?

If it is a good game why not. Haven't really seen a western oriented dev do something original. Hell i mean didn't the uncharted franchise in the beginning get called a Tomb raider and indiana jones rip off. Funny how Tomb Raider gets called a uncharted rip off by younger gamers.

Red

MalboroRed said:
You're reaching. Let's not pretend these guys are going to be the next bungie.
Haha, probably not. But I won't immediately discredit them just because their first big project is derivative.

fernoca

Interesting...
The site describes it as kind of Alan Wake too. Which chapters as episodes, ending with cliffhangers and new chapters starting with a recap of what happened in the previous one; plus mixed with Uncharted; could be nice.

And the main character is good looking and looks "normal", not all muscles. :)

zKRKt.jpg

Interested on seeing this released; since it's a digital release it will be easier to keep an eye out, try a demo and don't worry about they not shipping many copies.

There's a Facebook game too, downloading now.

EDIT:
The Facebook game seems quite nice. Is a multiplayer shooter, and 3D. Kinda looks like a PSP game, which was quite surprising for a "Facebook game".

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Crunched said:
Haha, probably not. But I won't immediately discredit them just because their first big project is derivative.

It's not just derivative. All games are derivative. This is plagiarism. And to be clear I'm not morally offended on behalf of Naughty Dog or anything like that. I don't care that they're copying something. I care that they are copying something to which they cannot compare favorably in the end. I admire their ambition, but I think their efforts are misguided, unless this turns out to be more different from Uncharted than it initially appears.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
tiff said:
Maybe, but it's hardly unique in that regard.

This kind of direct copying happens with a low enough frequency that it's still worth remarking about, especially on major console platforms. I know Gameloft does a ton of this but their games are not on my radar.

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Is there any anti-jewish messages in there? If so, we could see yet another videogame fight in the courts.
No, those ones tend to be done using the BUILD engine or something hilariously out of date. This just looks like what Italy did with Hollywood Plots (among other countries) or what Gameloft does all the time.

Orayn

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Is there any anti-jewish messages in there? If so, we could see yet another videogame fight in the courts.
What is this I don't even.

If that's not a joke post, you are jumping from the developers' location to a specific type of religious bigotry to another big video game debacle in court. That's pretty big stretch for a game we know so little about, don't you think?

So off topic, Elena is totally better than Chloe, and anyone who says different is insane. XD

On topic, the high res of the lead character is actually pretty darn respectable. But everything about this so far screams "trainwreck" to me. Hopefully it does its inspiration justice.

fuuuuuuck Elena. I feel obligated to say that in every Uncharted thread whenever she's mentioned. Annoying, whiny, annoying voice etc. She's like the digital world's jennifer aniston.

Team Chloe. Way better in every aspect (especially voice)

randomkid

shidoshi said:
Does anybody have more experience / knowledge with the game development scene from that part of the world? I'm really fascinated by this, and thinking about maybe pitching it as a piece to do in EGM, but know absolutely nothing about how big (or small) game development over there is.

Yeah I dunno about Arab countries but Iran has a decent bit of videogame output. You've been beaten to the punch a bit by some other outlets though.

http://www.slate.com/id/2255103/
http://trueslant.com/nealungerleider/2009/12/10/inside-irans-video-game-industry/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Video_games_developed_in_Iran

Also, this dude made some well-regarded indie games, he won some prizes and wanted to put the game on XBLIG but couldn't due to sanctions.

http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2010/10/indie_spotlight_mahdi_bahrami.php

Enosh

RyanardoDaVinci said:
Even Lazarevic agrees:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-42wRaeC5wKA/TCuRtbESGiI/AAAAAAAAACE/RZzGFBn_52A/Uncharted%2525202%25253A%252520Among%252520Thieves%2525E2%252584%2525A2.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
he stole her gun!

Top Bottom