• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unearthed: Trail of Ibn Battuta announced - It's Uncharted but in Arabic

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I actually don't have a problem with the head scarves. From what I know its not nearly as restrictive culturally as the full face veils that everyone hates. It can look good on some people and I like the female character's design.

Actually...I really like that female characters design, the more I look at it.

Kingsora said:
0624mvu1308934957386.jpg

I'm surprised that the "trail of Ign Battuta" goes through the American southwest.

ymmv

Banned
SouSouRocket said:
As a Muslim woman I'm delighted to see a character like that in a game, though I wish it was in a more original property. Headscarves are not a cliche. This may come as news to you but it's an important way of life for many people. Some people may be forced to wear it, but most are not (unless they live somewhere like Saudi Arabia).

I don't wear a scarf but my mom, cousin, and several of my relatives do. I'm sorry to go off like this but I always thought it would be great to include a strong Muslim woman in some of my work and to see this kind of reaction is incredibly disheartening :(.

Why not show strong Arab female characters without a headscarf? Real role-models for a young generation instead of a pious muslim girl in a headscarf so traditional/orthodox/fundamentalist muslim men won't be offended?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
ymmv said:
Why not show strong Arab female characters without a headscarf? Real role-models for a young generation instead of a pious muslim girl in a headscarf so traditional/orthodox/fundamentalist muslim men won't be offended?
Again, not necessarily that black and white. Head-scarf doesn't go hand in hand with oppression.

Malfunky

!ممتاز

Or not. Looks terrible!

ymmv said:

Because they'd rather show women in headscarves to offend atheists. And the religious right. Hijabi actually don't have to equate to piety at all. Could be the most liberal Muslima in the world and still choose to wear it.

But I understand your point. And you could be right. Because fundies are wack.

Seventy5

dragonelite said:
Could use some more Chloe ass never can get enough of that perfect ass. :p

dat ass junior derailing thread.
chloe27sassxd.jpg
QFDA

If this is a PSN title I would be willing to forgive some of the roughness. I'm glad they didn't ape Gears for inspiration though :lol

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
The_Technomancer said:
Again, not necessarily that black and white. Head-scarf doesn't go hand in hand with oppression.
Why bother? It was explained even in what he quoted. He chose to ignore it and push his own ignorant view as universal fact. It happens, online. Just laugh @ it. Lol.

HawksEye

They should have made a game where you played as Ibn Battuta, as an explorer in that time period! would have been a better choice for a game, although their biggest downfall is the quality rather then the concept.

Btw, the Hijab is becoming a fashion accessory to a lot of muslim women (I now many), its becoming like those English hats they were at the racers, all kind of colours and designs, could make a very interesting looking character with it.

tiff

Banned
hey_it's_that_dog said:
The problem with this game's existence is this: Why would anyone buy a low budget clone of an Uncharted game when Uncharted's primary appeal is the way it showcases incredible talent and effort backed by a big budget? A mechanically and artistically poor Uncharted is a shallow and unnecessary game.
I dunno. I'm sure there's an Avatar ripoff somewhere out there too. People see what's popular and want to do that, regardless of whether it's a good idea.

ymmv

Banned
Malfunky said:
!ممتاز

Or not. Looks terrible!

Because they'd rather show women in headscarves to offend atheists. And the religious right. Hijabi actually don't have to equate to piety at all. Could be the most liberal Muslima in the world and still choose to wear it.

But I understand your point. And you could be right. Because fundies are wack.

Women don't wear headscarves as a fashion statement, but because they think their religion tells them to, or because they'd get into trouble with their orthodox parents, family members or community who'll otherwise give them grief because of course, any girl who doesn't wear a headscarf is obviously a whore. Fundies are wack, but religion can also poison otherwise nice, moderate people.

HawksEye

ymmv said:
Women don't wear headscarves as a fashion statement, but because they think their religion tells them to, or because they'd get into trouble with their orthodox parents, family members or community who'll otherwise give them grief because of course, any girl who doesn't wear a headscarf is obviously a whore. Fundies are wack, but religion can also poison otherwise nice, moderate people.

So all girls who wear the Hijab did not chose too because you said so?

I just woke up and came into this thread, half asleep, and I was like - what the hell happened to Uncharted. LOL seriously one of the weirdest, most surreal GAF experiences ever.

I think this is pretty much as shameless a copy/paste job of a game, it's characters, style, gameplay ect as I have, and will, ever see. The fact it's Arabic, and looks it, is hilarious. Dear, oh dear...

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
headscarf is actually a good idea in a video game considering how horrible everyone seems to be at hair animation (cue alice gif), and the headscarf is a good look aesthetically so it's win win imo.

Malfunky

ymmv said:

I'm not one to dance around this issue and honestly, I do think you're right to an extent. But a narrow extent. You should add the qualifier some women. Because it's a very dangerous thing to generalize. There are women who are not forced to at all, nor do they feel compelled to at all. And I greatly respect the woman who chooses to wear the headscarf (and can justify her doing so) by choice. My ex-girlfriend told me she would probably wear it after making the Hajj and that her father is actually against the idea entirely.

mollipen

Does anybody have more experience / knowledge with the game development scene from that part of the world? I'm really fascinated by this, and thinking about maybe pitching it as a piece to do in EGM, but know absolutely nothing about how big (or small) game development over there is.

ymmv said:
Who gives a shit?

It's folks who kick up a fuss about headscarves who made it a flashpoint issue in the first place. Religious fundies in totalitarian shitholes force them to wear it and secularist fundies in the west force them to remove it. Really I ask, who gives a shit? Why bother? Let them do whatever the fuck they want. If someone wants to make a game featuring a woman with a headscarf, it's suddenly the worst thing in the world.Disregarding the fact that out of a billion Muslim adults in the world, half are women and many of those women choose to wear the stupid thing by their own volition as a sense of their identity. I hate people who make this a big issue and blow it out of proportion. I'm done with this thread derail. ymmv, please take your crap to the Islamic thread.

shidoshi said:
It's just a question of not understanding a different culture or way of life, and that's always going to happen. The way you change that is to feature those ways of life, not get disheartened by the reactions that it might get and no longer want to do so.

Video games can teach at the same time that they entertain, so if somebody in the West went into this game thinking "head scarves are a sign of dominance over women," but learned through the game that that might not necessarily be the case, that'd be a good thing, right?

I'm not saying I'd let it stop me, it's just sad. :(

ymmv said:

That's good as well, but I would like people to know that women who wear scarves aren't oppressed, sad little things who only do what men tell them to do. No one who sees me on the street gives me funny looks or makes insulting assumptions about me as an Arab woman. I basically look white to non-Arabs.

I think a woman wearing a head scarf can be a role model just as easily as one who doesn't wear one. The fact that you can say something like this reinforces the idea that we need characters like this so it won't be so jarring.

Edit: sorry to continue the derail. Honestly, as sad as it sounds I'm kind of proud of them because the stuff that comes out of Arabic studios is so crappy that it's kind of nice to see them sort of doing a little better? Next step is to start generating your own properties.

The two things that stand out the most are is the middle eastern equivilant 3 shot, and the ammo counter - which look nigh on identical in design. Sooo good.

I'd previously found Quantum Theory to be a very questionable copy of Gears, now there is a new champion in the realm of videogame - 'like for likeness'.

bdizzle said:
Elena sucked though. I hate her and hopes she gets killed in Uncharted 3. Chloe Defense Force reporting for duty!!!

_dementia said:
This. I really hate her voice too. Chloe for life.

I can't believe what I am reading. There really was nothing more enjoyable than killing Chloe, worst person in uncharted ever.

xbhaskarx said:
How many gamers know who Ibn Battuta was?

If there is a demo I will definitely check it out.
Diablo III's Abd Al-Hazir is loosely based on Ibn Battuta. Abd Al Hazir is a traveler much like Ibn Battuta and describes the foreign cultures and creatures in a peculiar fashion. He goes off to the furthest known lands. I doubt many people know about the travels of Ibn Battuta as well.

1. Its a shame that more cultures making games isn't bring more culture to games, The west is wasting enough of its own talent ripping off UC, TF, BF or GOW.

2. Giantbomb should do a Quicklook on it.

GrayFoxPL said:
I am sure Arabic devs can do a lot better then this. Probably they're faceplaming right now.
Well, they're just copying another popular game. Alot of developers do this, unfortunatly, whatever country thy come from.... just not usually this blatantly.

linko9

Reminds me of Garshasp (the scenario; Middle eastern developer rips off highly successful game inserting a character from their own culture). Unfortunately, this game doesn't even look as good as Garshasp.

Pimpbaa

BatmanBatmanBatman said:
I can't believe what I am reading. There really was nothing more enjoyable than killing Chloe, worst person in uncharted ever.

Chloe is sexy, Elena was boring.

Top Bottom