• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

Finished Dust yesterday. I felt it was too easy especially when like me you tend to stockpile early on items that give you luck (got that bad habit from Symphony of the Night D:). Also, there wasn't enough combos to keep the combat interesting throughout the whole game.
The game's great nonetheless, it was really unique and I haven't played a game that resembles it before. By the way I don't know if this was intended but the snowy mountain and especially the moving platforms reminded me a lot of the first Rayman.

If you're looking for a good action RPG with light metroidvania aspects during the Stern's summer seal Dust is a good pick. If you're a sadistic manly man with manly chesthair looking for pure metroidvania sadisticness you should pick La-Mulana.

Hahaha. Cheers for the impressions. Going to pick up both eventually. Dust looks gorgeous (that and the fact Noggy gave away enough copies here I feel compelled to pay for it). Though I've heard La-Mulana referenced as a 2D Dark Souls so many times it's certainly tickled my curiosity.

I just started playing Scribblenauts. French being my primary language I decided to play the game in English to improve my vocabulary a bit.

Tutorial level, I need to clean a pig in a mud puddle.

"Euh, mmmh. Which object do farmers use to do that ? Uhmmm. You know what fuck it, I'll summon a broom".

It worked. This game's gonna be awesome.

Hahaha. Cheers for the impressions. Going to pick up both eventually. Dust looks gorgeous (that and the fact Noggy gave away enough copies here I feel compelled to pay for it). Though I've heard La-Mulana referenced as a 2D Dark Souls so many times it's certainly tickled my curiosity.

You're welcome !

I just started playing Scribblenauts. French being my primary language I decided to play the game in English to improve my vocabulary a bit.

Tutorial level, I need to clean a pig in a mud puddle.

"Euh, mmmh. Which object do farmers use to do that ? Uhmmm. You know what fuck it, I'll summon a broom".

Yeah, most puzzles have a very broad solution.

It's nice to see Valve are being tough on publishers who refuse to maintain their games but it doesn't help those who already played the game. Perils of the backlog, hey?
The designer made the puzzles very easy on purpose and they don't get any harder, towards the end it becomes almost like Journey, just running around and watching what's happening. Liked it but yes, don't expect anything deep gameplay-wise, it's about everything else.
Welp I'm unlikely to bother with that game then.

Anyone have their entire collection running off a very large HDD? Currently I just install only the games I am currently playing on my SSD. I am starting to wonder if I should just have everything installed on a very large HDD. I have 333 games so I wonder if this would even be possible to install all of them on just one HDD. I probably would need a few.

louiedog

Anyone have their entire collection running off a very large HDD? Currently I just install only the games I am currently playing on my SSD. I am starting to wonder if I should just have everything installed on a very large HDD. I have 333 games so I wonder if this would even be possible to install all of them on just one HDD. I probably would need a few.

Some people keep (almost) everything installed to a large HDD and use Steam Mover to move the games they're actively playing to the SSD and then back when they finish. That way they still have instant access to their library when they want it while still getting that performance boost for the games they're most likely to be playing at that time.

Try to enjoy it while you can because after an hour of Scribblenauts I felt it got really boring and the slide down started early. The solutions being broad is double-edged: you aren't locked into a word-hunt but at the same time the game rarely does anything to encourage non-obvious answers. Putting a top hat on a caveman may solve the caveman's problem but ultimately all you're left with is a caveman wearing a top hat.

But since you're french you're also genetically inbuilt to like Jerry Lewis, so maybe repetitive, dull-minded point-and-laugh novelty will resonate for you.

I believe you on that. There was a living heart attacking people in a hospital. Didn't know what was the word for the case in which are contained organs waiting for transplants so instead I used a gatling gun.
The nurse didn't seem happy about that :').

Type "neogaf" and be amazed :p

I used it to take that thing out of the tree in the tutorial

Some people keep (almost) everything installed to a large HDD and use Steam Mover to move the games they're actively playing to the SSD and then back when they finish. That way they still have instant access to their library when they want it while still getting that performance boost for the games they're most likely to be playing at that time.
That is not a bad idea. I wish I had an estimate of how much HDD space I will need for my collection.

sprinkles

Paypal finally came through, so I bought DmC and Resident Evil 6 on Nuuvem before they went off sale. My wishlist for the summer sale suddenly got a lot smaller, I mainly want a few Indie games that did not have discounts yet (Ys I+II Chronicles, Dust, Fly'n, Dyad), and maybe the Steam version of Far Cry 3 will finally hit a price where I will bite.

Chronoja

Does anyone know why the steam library only tracks game time played in integer hours now? As in it used to track say 5.5 hours so you knew 5 hours 30 minutes. Even on the profile pages it will only track non integer time until you hit double figures (10h) after which it only reports again in full integers hours.

It's troublesome since even external sites like wastedonsteam are reporting all times played as solid XX.0hrs played. Most of you probably don't care but when you want to input accurate data into sites like howlongtobeat it becomes annoying when time is getting cut.

edit: The store pages still report times in decimal under "my activity". It will do for now but hopefully they'll return it to the full program.

Zia

Finally finished my gargantuan Summer Sale shopping list:

Skyrim
Dishonored (if it gets down to $15)

Whew. That was a task.

Megasoum

Banned
I wish Steam would change its install process. Right now it checks how much freespace you have before checking if the install files are already there. So, for example, if I have 20gigs free on my SSD and I want to install a 18gigs game, I can't copy my backup to my SSD because Steam will think I only have 2gigs free when in fact the game files are already there and it could just validate them.

I have these coupons if anyone wants them:

50% off Duken Nukem 3D
66% off Galactic Civilizations II: Ultimate Edition
50% off Galactic Civilizations II: Ultimate Edition
50% off Euro Truck Simulator 2
50% off Dawn of Fantasy: Kingdom Wars
50% off Majesty 2 Collection
50% off Triple Town

Baha

50% off Duken Nukem 3D
50% off Triple Town

Can I get 50% off Euro Truck 2?

Finally finished my gargantuan Summer Sale shopping list:

Skyrim
Dishonored (if it gets down to $15)

Whew. That was a task.

that getgamesgo deal (which I missed :/ ) where you could get the bold and another game for $15 basically spoiled the pricing expectations of this game for me right now.

Hilti92

50% off Duken Nukem 3D
50% off Triple Town

galactic civ 2? Can I claim it? Please and thank-you!

Wok

I wish Steam would change its install process. Right now it checks how much freespace you have before checking if the install files are already there. So, for example, if I have 20gigs free on my SSD and I want to install a 18gigs game, I can't copy my backup to my SSD because Steam will think I only have 2gigs free when in fact the game files are already there and it could just validate them.

Launch the install, pause the download, copy the files, the files will be checked and the download will be finished instantly.

Wok

And still no sale.

At first, I thought the sale would start on Monday, but Horizon and Dark will be released next week. If no new release is added for July to the "Coming soon" section on the Steam store, the sale would start between July 13 and July 15 and end on July 22.

Fletcher

Sale last year happened kind of late, right? I remember it was during comic-con, because I was buying games from my phone.

Comic-Con is in two and a half weeks.

edit: I would expect an Amazon sale before the Steam sale, though.

Grief.exe

I like the end result a bit better and you have more choice over what to include since you're doing it manually, but it takes a hell of a lot more time to set up. Also a few of his links are borked as he hasn't got round to updating it for a while.

You have to search for them manually on Morrowind Nexus to find some of the mods with broken links.

It takes forever, but the end result is amazing.

At first, I thought the sale would start on Monday, but Horizon and Dark will be released next week. If no new release is added for July to the "Coming soon" section on the Steam store, the sale would start between July 13 and July 15 and end on July 22.

That's been the current theory.

Just hit the winter months in my Skyrim playtrough, and decided to install Climates of Tamriel - Winter Edition and the corresponding city mods.

72850_2013-06-29_00000os5n.png

Skyrim in the throes of winter looks amazing. I got caught in a blizzard, and suddenly a team of Thalmor assassins and a blood dragon ambushed me. I ended up getting seperated from my horse and my dog and now I'm trekking through snow-covered Falkreath by myself.

Can't believe I didn't start playing on PC sooner.

Megasoum

Banned
Launch the install, pause the download, copy the files, the files will be checked and the download will be finished instantly.

The thing is, when you start the download it reserves the space on the drive so I can't copy the files over. I tried replacing all the placeholder files in the download folder with the actual game files but it doesn't work. I tried putting the folder in the common folder and validate the gamefiles but every case, steam will still try to download the whole thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom