• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance demo is up on Xbox Live and PSN US. PSN EU whenever.

Badass boss, even more badass boss music!

Based on what I played, this game just might turn out good. I enjoy cutting things into little bitty pieces.

jett

D-Member
What does Raiden say when snatching the cores? GEDDAN! GETTAL? Get out?

GET ON

dumb. I hope that mechanic has been greatly altered for the final game. For something that you'll be doing constantly, it goes on for too long.

Damn I love this game. Got the hang of the parrying and also I found using the buttons in blade mode work better and is faster when trying to do Zandatsu.

goddamn, those rocket enemies are kicking my ass from offscreen x_x

easier to play MGS style and stealth kill those guys before getting noticed.

If that doesnt help ninja run and slide into them

For those having a hard time finding the demo

side bar: Games -> Ps3 Demoes -> new Ps3 demoes -> MGR R

(when I tried searching it didnt come up for some reason)

Sophia

And the award for "Amazing game with awful tutorial" goes to...

Actually, I take that back, the world "awful" cannot be applied to a demo that practically doesn't have a tutorial

ezekial45

Banned
I don't get this game at all; ai mean, anytime I go into blade mode, the camera has me looking down to the ground or up in the sky not to mention is just kills the pace. I get that this is Vanquish with a blade, but it isn't clicking yet. Had no problems getting through the demo bu the forced gimmick, if you will, felt out of place.

Yeah, that's one thing that bugs me. It goes into blade mode relative to what you're facing. If the enemy isn't directly in front of you, then you have to move the camera over while in blade mode to attack the enemy.

It's extremely jarring have to move the camera and "aim" around like that.

Card Boy

Banned
I don't understand, i thought Raiden had a synthetic body with living limbs going by ending in MGS4. Or is he just wearing a suit in Rising?

yo6F2.png

I don't get this game at all; ai mean, anytime I go into blade mode, the camera has me looking down to the ground or up in the sky not to mention is just kills the pace. I get that this is Vanquish with a blade, but it isn't clicking yet. Had no problems getting through the demo bu the forced gimmick, if you will, felt out of place.

to speed things up you can flick the right stick in the direction you want to slice. Once you get used to it you can try to be more precise.

(if you go into blade mode left stick controls camera so becareful not to push forward)

There is a learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, it gets better.

Gez said:
I don't understand, i thought Raiden had a synthetic body with living limbs going by ending in MGS4 with Rose and his son. Or is he just wearing a suit in Rising?

guess will have to wait til Feb21 to find out ;)

Sparse

I don't know if this is old but I just received this press mail from Konami - it seems like we are getting a whole bunch of merchandise early next year, including the following:

"We are constantly inspired by our fans' great enthusiasm for the METAL GEAR franchise and are thrilled to work with our talented licensing partners to bring them this amazing collection of METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE memorabilia early next year," said Careen Yapp, Vice President of Acquisitions and Franchise Development for Konami Digital Entertainment, Inc.
Yep, right now Forbidden Planet has the mini-sword, candy, and USB-sword available to preorder among other things.

Revven

Yo, this demo feels super good. I'm gonna play around more with the combat tomorrow but even from playing it for the first time, I LOVE the feel of it. Blade mode is going to take some getting used to but I really like how freeform the combat is, being able to mix it up between heavy and light attacks is awesome.

And dat slide, ooh dat slide. Parry also feels really rewarding and satisfying.

kewlmyc

Just got back home. Is there a 360 vs PS3 comparison out yet? Which version is better so far? Platinum games usually are better on 360, but the 360 version isn't even being released in Japan. Not sure which one to get (only have time to download one demo tonight).

Kusano123

Neo Member
Just got the demo and man, I can't believe how smooth the game looks. Wish more games on consoles could be like this :/.

I don't understand, i thought Raiden had a synthetic body with living limbs going by ending in MGS4. Or is he just wearing a suit in Rising?

yo6F2.png

At the end of MGS4 he just got his body replaced with a more "civilian" looking one. He's still a cyborg.

As in I didn't like how I didn't have control over the fights and what moves I used. Pressing the X/Square button seems to have him go out and do a variety of different moves with much input from me. I don't know, it just doesn't feel right for me.

It seems like he randomly picks one of about three moves when you hit attack, and I wonder if they have different hit properties. Luckily, there are tons of command normals, and once you get a combo started it's not random at all. It would be cool to see a combo list.

I loved the demo though. Zandatsu doesn't bother me at all - it looks and feels awesome, I just hope it's balanced to where it's not ridiculously overpowered. I never realized you could have an inventory of health nanomachines that automatically replenish you, so if you're going through like three nanomachines in a hard fight anyway, refilling your main health won't be such a huge thing.

I shouldn't have played the demo though since I know I'm getting this game.

Yeah aiming and taking swipes felt like i was trying to pay my head while simultaneously rub my belly. I can't imagine what this does in a packed action scene with heavy enemies.

Will try it on the ps3 demo; thanks for heads up

np
not sure if you saw my stealth edit above

make sure you arent pressing on the movement (left stick) when you enter blade mode

in blade mode the left stick controls the camera so if you are pressing forward you will look downward

ezekial45

Banned
It seems like he randomly picks one of about three moves when you hit attack, and I wonder if they have different hit properties. Luckily, there are tons of command normals, and once you get a combo started it's not random at all. It would be cool to see a combo list.

I loved the demo though. Zandatsu doesn't bother me at all - it looks and feels awesome, I just hope it's balanced to where it's not ridiculously overpowered. I never realized you could have an inventory of health nanomachines that automatically replenish you, so if you're going through like three nanomachines in a hard fight anyway, refilling your main health won't be such a huge thing.

I shouldn't have played the demo though since I know I'm getting this game.
It feels extremely weird. When you fight multiple enemies that are bunched up, he breaks out into moves that I didn't intend to do at all. Honestly, I just want complete control of over the basic flow of combat. I don't want to do rolls or dashes when I'm just pressing the X button. All this visual flair and showy elements feel unnecessary.

I played through it three times already, and it gets weirder each time. o_O

Not to troll or anything, but the demo was kind of meh. I'm a big fan of third person hack n' slash (DMC, Ninja Gaiden, etc) - so I will give my 2 cents.

Can't judge a game based on 10 min of gameplay, but here is what I found:

The good:
- swordplay and animations are well done
- cutting system is quite cool
- raiden's character handles well

The bad:
- story sniplets were just poor. bad voice acting, bad jokes, etc. I hope this is not telling of the final game.
- game gave me a granade...why? why would I use a granade when I am a badass sword wielding ninja...
- stealth? seems like I can run and do what I want and enemies won't notice me unless I face them. this is quite stupid. either fix it or get rid of it.
- graphics are just poor. I know it's not about graphics, but honestly this game has some boring and uninspired environments. If you are going to showcase your game and get people interested, why not put in an environment that is actually awesome and not so bland
- bladewolf was kind of interesting to fight - except for the bits where he feels like he needs to howl and call his friends to fight you.
- regular enemies are kind of stupid and generic to fight. the geckos are more interesting for sure.

Overall this demo has convinced me not to get it day 1 and perhaps wait for a PC version that will potentially have improved graphics and additional content.

Sophia

ahuahuahuhua at the tutorial

why even bother making one if it's that pointless

CUT THESE WATERMELONS THAT YOU WON'T BOTHER WITH LATER ON. SAVE THESE HOSTAGES THAT AREN'T EVEN IN THE DEMO PROPER. OKAY YOU'RE GOOD TO GO RAIDEN.

I should have trusted my instincts and just skipped the tutorial, then I could compliment on how the amazing the game is once you get the hang of it instead of mocking how bad the tutorial is. :\

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Demo owned. Awful for teaching you the nuances of the mechanics, but still owned. Can't wait.

EDIT: It was also super easy on Normal, and I don't really think I'm all that good at these kinds of games, as much as I enjoy them. Managed to clear the demo without dying once. I'll try hard. Parry really is a game changer in terms of difficulty.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Am I the only one that was disappointed that the demo boss wasn't a giant watermelon?

Or even better, a regular sized watermelon?

remz

If you kill everyone in the first stealthy bit without being seen you can save the civilian. Doesn't appear to do anything tho :D

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, that's one thing that bugs me. It goes into blade mode relative to what you're facing. If the enemy isn't directly in front of you, then you have to move the camera over while in blade mode to attack the enemy.

It's extremely jarring have to move the camera and "aim" around like that.

I think you're doing it wrong if you're going into blade mode with no lead in attack.

Game has so many attacks that lead into blade mode follow ups that perfectly align you with enemies in cutting position that it really makes no sense to just do it by itself. Unless you're cutting projectiles or something

but even then it's just something you adapt to really.

brinstar

Oh man, definitely started to click the third time around. Once I got the parrying down and figured out the Stinger-like move I destroyed the boss.

Lovin' this, wish the tutorial wasn't so obtuse because I have a feeling people aren't going to be so patient when they try the demo :(

CUT THESE WATERMELONS THAT YOU WON'T BOTHER WITH LATER ON. SAVE THESE HOSTAGES THAT AREN'T EVEN IN THE DEMO PROPER. OKAY YOU'RE GOOD TO GO RAIDEN.

I should have trusted my instincts and just skipped the tutorial, then I could compliment on how the amazing the game is once you get the hang of it instead of mocking how bad the tutorial is. :\

But you can get a box in the tutorial...

Oh God the Blade mode is tied to character view and not camera. That is terrible.

yeah takes some adjustment.

practice by flicking the right stick in the direction you want to slice for quick cuts.

Once you get used to that then start messing with controlling the camera(left stick) in blade mode

The problem is the switch... pressing forward to move then switching to blade mode with the left stick still pressing forward will cause the camera to face down

I think you're doing it wrong if you're going into blade mode with no lead in attack.

Game has so many attacks that lead into blade mode follow ups that perfectly align you with enemies in cutting position that it really makes no sense to just do it by itself. Unless you're cutting projectiles or something

but even then it's just something you adapt to really.

This. You aren't supposed to be going into blade mode at random to mash out attacks. There are very specific slow motion moments where the game gives you a nudge if you want to use blade mode and Raiden will be placed exactly where you need to be. I have a hard time understanding how people find it disorienting.

And once you get into Blade Mode, get off the left stick unless you need to adjust your aim. That's why some of you find your aim drifting up/downwards.

Top Bottom