• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

Planet

Thanks for the correction, but why do some people say there's no such thing as "2nd party"?
In the original definition of parties, the second one is you. Meaning there is some kind of relation between you and the console manufacturer, and then there are third party entities providing something for this ecosystem, too.

I'm not sure I follow. Do you mean a From game with the mixture of primitive tribe + robo-beasts aesthetic, or just mean their next game to have visuals as detailed as Horizon?
visuals as detailed, it could be whatever aesthetic the team wants, but man, it's kinda hard going back to finish up the DLC for BB after playing Horizon. They nailed the art, but the frame-rate is so clunky at times, it's weird they are running on the same machine.

In the original definition of parties, the second one is you. Meaning there is some kind of relation between you and the console manufacturer, and then there are third party entities providing something for this ecosystem, too.
This is true, but how it's used in the gaming industry is really false. I think someone stated in an interview the Kinda Funny staff used it with Yoshida and he didn't know what they were talking about.

It's just third party developers making first party games. Sony either owns the IP or doesn't. If they do, it's first party, simple as that.

visuals as detailed, it could be whatever aesthetic the team wants, but man, it's kinda hard going back to finish up the DLC for BB after playing Horizon. They nailed the art, but the frame-rate is so clunky at times, it's weird they are running on the same machine.

I think From produces some of the most beautiful games in the industry from an artistic perspective and although I'd like their games to have better visuals I don't think it's necessary. If they can just get their games to a stable 30fps I'd be happy, although overall I didn't have many issues with frame rate dips in my playthroughs.

ActWan

I for one think that this year, they're not going to announce that many exclusives, only the Sucker Punch one...but they're gonna show a lot of gameplay from previousley announced games, and we'll get a 3rd party announcment at the conference
DMC5 #Believe

dracula_x

I really think Gran Turismo's release date is going to drop out of nowhere and come out sooner than we expect. I wouldn't be shocked if it were something like July. It's in beta right now and all over Sony's marketing, it's also been looking great for months. I can see the date being announced well ahead of E3.

the same thoughts.

Y73xE4W.png

cornerman

Sony's has had a different vibe for their E3 presentation the last couple of years. I was thinking they should revisit a theme that they did back during the PS3 era, and use media molecule's game to present. Instead of sales figures, use Dreams as an intro into your game announcements. So say you open the conference with a demo/gameplay of Dreams. Here we see some depth of what the game is. Then, for example, it segues into a 5 to 10 second intro for Spiderman using Dreams' tools. Just some artistic way of capturing what lies ahead.. kinda of what you might see at MTV video awards when they announce the nominees. Maybe they go literal and create a scene where he's swinging or something;or go more abstract, and just show a spider on a web. The latter allows the audience a few minutes to kind of guess what's coming. You do this throughout the conference. Once folks kinda catch on, they'll be guessing what's next . And it'll really throw them for a loop when a new IP shows up as the clue will have no relevance to them. It gives Sony a twist on their conference and its a nice way of showcasing Dreams. Just an idea...Was going to make a thread about it but I didn't think a thread of some random idea I had was thread-worthy.

FelipeMGM

Fill me in, what is the not so secret stuff coming from XDev this year? WipEout Collection is one of them?

WipEout Collection, WiLD, Matterfall. They used to be the producers of the Quantic Dream games for Sony as well, but Im not sure they are doing that for Detroit too

Sony's has had a different vibe for their E3 presentation the last couple of years. I was thinking they should revisit a theme that they did back during the PS3 era, and use media molecule's game to present. Instead of sales figures, use Dreams as an intro into your game announcements. So say you open the conference with a demo/gameplay of Dreams. Here we see some depth of what the game is. Then, for example, it segues into a 5 to 10 second intro for Spiderman using Dreams' tools. Just some artistic way of capturing what lies ahead.. kinda of what you might see at MTV video awards when they announce the nominees. Maybe they go literal and create a scene where he's swinging or something;or go more abstract, and just show a spider on a web. The latter allows the audience a few minutes to kind of guess what's coming. You do this throughout the conference. Once folks kinda catch on, they'll be guessing what's next . And it'll really throw them for a loop when a new IP shows up as the clue will have no relevance to them. It gives Sony a twist on their conference and its a nice way of showcasing Dreams. Just an idea...Was going to make a thread about it but I didn't think a thread of some random idea I had was thread-worthy.
Maybe not thread worthy, but a really good idea. It reminds me of the first time they demo'ed Until Dawn at an event and the audience was screaming which choice to make. I would love a Dreamed based E3, where in-engine they preview the next trailer, I bet the audience would be guessing after the first one like you said. I'll tweet it to Shu.

Once it was announced I long since said they should bait and switch with a dreams trailer. Have it be a bunch of Sony ips and have ppl not really into dreams wondering what the hell is going on. It would blow minds

It would be creative but they would have to nail it. Otherwise, people will just shit on it. Heck, people would probably shit on it regardless lol. It would probably put respek on Dreams' name though.

cornerman

Maybe not thread worthy, but a really good idea. It reminds me of the first time they demo'ed Until Dawn at an event and the audience was screaming which choice to make. I would love a Dreamed based E3, where in-engine they preview the next trailer, I bet the audience would be guessing after the first one like you said. I'll tweet it to Shu.
Hey cool..I don't use Twitter, so that's really nice of you.

cornerman

Once it was announced I long since said they should bait and switch with a dreams trailer. Have it be a bunch of Sony ips and have ppl not really into dreams wondering what the hell is going on. It would blow minds

I wonder how long that would take them. Recreating another game within a game has to be difficult...And to really have it pass as something else...Tall order.

cornerman

It would be creative but they would have to nail it. Otherwise, people will just shit on it. Heck, people would probably shit on it regardless lol. It would probably put respek on Dreams' name though.

Yeah. Everything you do on that E3 stage needs to be executed well...Whenever you're putting your product(s) out there, you need to have your best foot forward.

Skeeter49

The Dreams idea sounds really good if executed well, but worse than an EA conference if something doesn't go right. Seems too risky.

Might be more appropriate for a PSX.

I've said this before, but I really hope Sony opens their conference with an orchestra again. Just imagine a re-interpretation of the Bloodborne theme for a sequel announcement <3

farisr

I've said this before, but I really hope Sony opens their conference with an orchestra again. Just imagine a re-interpretation of the Bloodborne theme for a sequel announcement <3
Yeah, I'm hoping for an orchestra too.

Also, if this music randomly came up in the middle, it would be super hype for me. Even though it'd be for a remaster.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Can anyone remember any teases or something from PSX that could be expanded on at E3? Seems like they've had clues in December then megatons in June that were related to each other:

PSX 2014 - FF7 bait'n'switch
E3 2015 - FF7 Remake announced

PSX2015 - Crash Bandicoot t-shirt
E3 2016 - Crash remakes announced

PSX2016 - ?

Maybe a brand new Wipeout?

This is true, but how it's used in the gaming industry is really false. I think someone stated in an interview the Kinda Funny staff used it with Yoshida and he didn't know what they were talking about.

It's just third party developers making first party games. Sony either owns the IP or doesn't. If they do, it's first party, simple as that.

So you don't think Spider-Man is a Sony first party game then?

I'd argue that if a first party owns the IP OR the publishing rights, it's a first party game. So Microsoft may not own the Sunset Overdrive IP but it's still a first party game because Microsoft owns the publishing rights to that game. Insomniac can't even port it to PC without Microsoft's permission. Same thing goes with Sony and the original Crash and Spyro trilogies on PS1.

Dabi

Can anyone remember any teases or something from PSX that could be expanded on at E3? Seems like they've had clues in December then megatons in June that were related to each other:

PSX2016 - ?

PSX2016 - Japan Studios logo flashes on screen only for Knack 2 to be revealed

E32017 - Japan Studios logo flashes on screen but this time a AAA JRPG is announced.

farisr

PSX2016 - ?

It seemed like they just stopped doing that cycle (tease at PSX, reveal at E3) and skipped directly to revealing the Wipeout remaster at PSX. I don't think a new Wipeout game is going to be happening. Unless the remaster sells really well.

I for one think that this year, they're not going to announce that many exclusives, only the Sucker Punch one...but they're gonna show a lot of gameplay from previousley announced games, and we'll get a 3rd party announcment at the conference
DMC5 #Believe

They are going to announce more than one new big exclusive. When has output ever been that low?

Tagavaka

Neo Member
Sony choosing to reveal The Last Of Us Part 2 at PSX is telling imo

They know people are expecting another megaton year of dreams from them and having the TLOU Part 2 announcement at E3 would have helped with that tremendously.

But they revealed it at PSX instead.

I think it's because they are already confident they have enough megatons at E3 to blow people away and that is very exciting.

It's not proof obviously but it seems likely the reason they didn't save TLOU Part 2 for E3

Sony choosing to reveal The Last Of Us Part 2 at PSX is telling imo

They know people are expecting another megaton year of dreams from them and having the TLOU Part 2 announcement at E3 would have helped with that tremendously.

But they revealed it at PSX instead.

I think it's because they are already confident they have enough megatons at E3 to blow people away and that is very exciting.

It's not proof obviously but it seems likely the reason they didn't save TLOU Part 2 for E3
I think it is was that and because they wanted to legitimize PSX. The event can't be passed off as minor anymore. E3 will obviously be the place where the majority of the big announcements happen but I think PSX is relevant in that regard as well.

But yeah, Sony got enough ammo to go around for both events. Sony gonna bring that hype.

FelipeMGM

Oh I wish. Would be perfect as cartoonish goofy souls

But at this point I hardly believe. They had pitches and tried to make original MediEvil games for PS2, PS3 and even PS4 but they never went to full production, so Im not getting any hopes up for it sadly...

So you don't think Spider-Man is a Sony first party game then?

I'd argue that if a first party owns the IP OR the publishing rights, it's a first party game. So Microsoft may not own the Sunset Overdrive IP but it's still a first party game because Microsoft owns the publishing rights to that game. Insomniac can't even port it to PC without Microsoft's permission. Same thing goes with Sony and the original Crash and Spyro trilogies on PS1.
Yeah, I would just add that clause in, own the IP or publishing rights. It gets tricky with business, but the point is second party isn't really a thing at all.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Well, new announcement or not...without a doubt, its going to be another mind blowing conference.

Agreed. I get the excitement for new announcements but just based on what we know about, there's enough to keep a PS4 owner happy through the end of 2018.

Good point, but they just announced so many games that I can't imagine what else they could announce. New Supermassive exclusive? Agent revival?
FROM exclusive
Agreed. I get the excitement for new announcements but just based on what we know about, there's enough to keep a PS4 owner happy through the end of 2018.
Don't worry Sucker Punch will show that there's still great stuff coming beyond 2018

Top Bottom