• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 5/12 - 5/18

hirokazu

Love the charts in these threads. Keep up the good work guys!

The PSP is unstoppable! It's like the DS and the PSP has swapped places from last year. Unbelievable given that there doesn't seem to be anything going for it apart from Slim&Lite and MHP.

Maybe that bunch of newer colours for the Slim&Lite too...

Innotech

Banned
PSPs performance is hardly unbelievable. Especially since it is playing catchup to a 13 million lead. the Ds is saturated and really needs a pricedrop in Japan.

D.Lo

Innotech said:
PSPs performance is hardly unbelievable. Especially since it is playing catchup to a 13 million lead. the Ds is saturated and really needs a pricedrop in Japan.
But it is. At least the DS numbers built up over time and had corresponding software sales.

There's also the idea that Nintendo grew/changed the market, and the DS' sales make sense of that.

But the PSP? It's 'old' style gaming (so no 'new idea' games to grow the market, and even for most old style games the DS has better support) and software sales in general are in the toilet. MH and PSP sales are just bizarre, which is why there are so many arguments about piracy/media player not games device/MH's actual popularity in these threads these days.

And the DS shouldn't be saturated, if even 1/4 of DS owners are new gamers, there are still a good few million PS2 owners who have yet to buy a DS.

Innotech

Banned
D.Lo said:
But it is. At least the DS numbers built up over time and had corresponding software sales.

There's also the idea that Nintendo grew/changed the market, and the DS' sales make sense of that.

But the PSP? It's 'old' style gaming (so no 'new idea' games to grow the market, and even for most old style games the DS has better support) and software sales in general are in the toilet. MH and PSP sales are just bizarre, which is why there are so many arguments about piracy/media player not games device/MH's actual popularity in these threads these days.

And the DS shouldn't be saturated, if even 1/4 of DS owners are new gamers, there are still a good few million PS2 owners who have yet to buy a DS.
its handheld. It is the right type of system to get an increase in sales. If it was the Ps3 I would be surprised, but the PSP has never done badly in Japan. It outsold DS when it first launched too. So this isnt exactly unprecedented for it.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Perhaps they should ... shock horror ... drop the price of the DS?

Saitou

Banned
Last time they released a new colour it didn't impact much. Sure, it'll top the charts for a few weeks, but then it'll return back to the now lower normal weekly sales.

Nintendo would much rather another hardware 'revision' than drop the actual price, methinks.

I think Nintendo are quite content to get all the royalties off DS software, while they create the credit card sized DS Nano in their secret Nintendo labs in North Korea.

D.Lo

Colours are a cheaters was of getting boosts, as it's just crazy collectors getting another system. At least re-designs offer new features.

To get back to the top, DS needs another big first party game. Even just a Nintendogs sequel (with new activities) would probabaly do it for a few months.

Pokemon Platinum
DQIX

I don't think NCL care that the PSP is doing well HW wise all too much. Besides, the west is still consuming DSs at crazy rates.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
D.Lo said:
Colours are a cheaters was of getting boosts, as it's just crazy collectors getting another system. At least re-designs offer new features.

To get back to the top, DS needs another big first party game. Even just a Nintendogs sequel (with new activities) would probabaly do it for a few months.

Saying this after PSP rode a wave of new colors to 8 weeks of high sales is pretty damn funny.

What the hell is Battalion Wars 2 doing up there? hopefully it won't be there next week. Dammit Japan, don't bulk buy every Wii game, especially no ones as boring as BWii.

The PSP is just crazy. People even resorted to buying the same game for a 5th time just for more reasons to play it!

and I am really curious to see how Monster Hunter 3 sells.

Man God said:
Saying this after PSP rode a wave of new colors to 8 weeks of high sales is pretty damn funny.
That's actually a pretty smart way of doing it. Once your Pokemon-scale title hits the system, pump out a bunch of limited edition colours and ride that snake to Valhalla.

Pachael

Man God said:

On the flip side, he's got a point - I've been surprised by the lack of colored Wiis. Then again Nintendo have enough trouble with supply...

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Mr. Pointy said:
That's actually a pretty smart way of doing it. Once your Pokemon-scale title hits the system, pump out a bunch of limited edition colours and ride that snake to Valhalla.

It really is! Nintendo did it a few times with the GBA and DS, and Sony had some luck with it and various PS2 colors and now with the PSP.

I'm also real interested in MH3's numbers. I think that the popularity rise from the recent portable games should put it past MH2 sales but I wonder if it can really grab people and get sales up in the range of the portable numbers. I'm thinking it probably won't but you never know.

Based on the latest Famitsu numbers...

PS3 comparisons: After 79 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 17.7 weeks (June 30, 2000), where PSP was at 49.6 weeks (November 17, 2005), where GCN was at 72.0 weeks (January 25, 2003), and where Wii was at 19.4 weeks (April 11, 2007).

Wii comparisons: After 76 weeks, Wii is where GBA was at 79.2 weeks, where DS was at 65.5 weeks (March 1, 2006), where PS2 was at 94.6 weeks (December 20, 2001), and where PSP was at 145.2 weeks (September 17, 2007).

Based on the latest Media Create numbers...

DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 33.1 / 66.9, bringing total shares to 70.7 / 29.3. At this week's rates, PSP catches up to DS in 370.3 weeks (June 24, 2015). If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 187.1 weeks (December 19, 2011).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 15.6 / 84.4, bringing total shares to 25.4 / 74.6. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 517.6 weeks (April 19, 2018).

Brofist

Innotech said:

PSP HW sales are still impressive though. Past sales trends have shown us that a product reaching the saturation point doesn't necessarily mean it's competition will start selling. Otherwise GCN and Xbox sales would have picked up dramatically which they never did. Same for the PS1's competition.

Obviously the PSP has some selling points that don't include "everyone already has a DS"

Brofist

BTW the same will go for PS3, they have to find selling points for it, just hoping Wii sales die off won't change anything.

That's quite a huge PSP hw discrepancy between Famitsu and MC. It'll be interesting to see where PS3 bottoms out in the next weeks.

Linkzg said:
What the hell is Battalion Wars 2 doing up there? hopefully it won't be there next week. Dammit Japan, don't bulk buy every Wii game, especially no ones as boring as BWii.

The PSP is just crazy. People even resorted to buying the same game for a 5th time just for more reasons to play it!

and I am really curious to see how Monster Hunter 3 sells.
Has been said a couple of times before in the thread but it opened up pretty much like the GC original.

Apart from that the game is awesome.

cvxfreak

Dragona Akehi said:
Why, when they can just release another colour and have it topping over 100k again?

The DS had new colors released around summer 2007 (the metallics and the two-tone red and black), and those didn't do much to DS sales, if I remember correctly.

Phife Dawg said:
Has been said a couple of times before in the thread but it opened up pretty much like the GC original.

Apart from that the game is awesome.

Oh, so the GC one also sold well? I guess it isn't that shocking then.

and I disagree about the game being awesome, but that really isn't worth bringing into this thread...past this one part of my post.

I also just noticed that the only console that sold better this week than the last was the 360. I guess The Darkness is to thank.

DC R1D3R

Banned
DAMN! It's like every week these media create threads get even more depressing for me
:[
The future is bright if you're a handheld gamer though.

nli10

Hammer24 said:
With no new games released this week, we´ll probably find out rather sooner than later.

I want to see PS2 > PS3 for one week, then they can start the inevitable comeback.

I think that the DS relaunch with the lifestyle software will come with new, more executive colours.

So I finally got my database updated with last week's Famitsu double-week as well as the new week's data from tonight. Just a few sequel comparisons to note:

SimCity DS 2 seems to be performing similarly to the first; a bit better
Taiko DS 2 started similarly to the first, but shortages aren't slowing its growth
Mario Kart Wii continues at an amazing pace for the franchise. Through its fifth week its sales are about where Mario Kart DS's were after its seventeenth.
Of course the same is true for Monster Hunter Portable 2G, except it's already surpassed every previous entry already.

nli10 said:
I want to see PS2 > PS3 for one week, then they can start the inevitable comeback.
This just happened in Famitsu, though Media Create disagreed.

Week of 2008-05-05

Media Create
PS2: 7,464
PS3: 8,054

Famitsu
PS2: 8,481
PS3: 7,983

RpgN

Innotech said:

I'm sorry, but this is getting a little pathetic. When the slim psp got released, everyone said it was because of the slim release and FF7CC. The sales would return to normal. Now we're a few months later, we're seeing MCS sales where the psp is still leading and now it's hardly unbelievable/unimpressive. When are the psp figures impressive to you anyway?

The ds being saturated is not an argument. If the psp was the leader and ds started to sell better, would the psp also have been ''saturated''?

It is okay to be impressed by a competitor once and a while you know.

That being said, ps3's sales are horrible and ds not really great. Wii is doing okay it seems.

hirokazu

JoshuaJSlone said:
PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 15.6 / 84.4, bringing total shares to 25.4 / 74.6. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 517.6 weeks (April 19, 2018).
PS3 10 year lifespan indeed! :p

Hammer24

Banned
nli10 said:

With no already released games buzzing around, and no releases this week, the question for next week will probably be if the number starts with a 6 or a 5. I mean, down in the sub10k XBOX grave in Japan it doesn´t really matter what order they come in. :p

EDarkness

DC R1D3R said:
DAMN! It's like every week these media create threads get even more depressing for me
:[
The future is bright if you're a handheld gamer though.

The sad thing is, there hasn't been much exciting stuff for the Wii and it's still selling well. The PS3 hasn't gotten much either, but there have been some high profile games in recent weeks. A shame that none of them have done that well.

I'm still waiting for third parties to announce cool Wii games....

Getting real tired of Family stuff.

jesusraz

JoshuaJSlone said:
So I finally got my database updated with last week's Famitsu double-week as well as the new week's data from tonight. Just a few sequel comparisons to note:

SimCity DS 2 seems to be performing similarly to the first; a bit better
Taiko DS 2 started similarly to the first, but shortages aren't slowing its growth
Mario Kart Wii continues at an amazing pace for the franchise. Through its fifth week its sales are about where Mario Kart DS's were after its seventeenth.
Of course the same is true for Monster Hunter Portable 2G, except it's already surpassed every previous entry already.
Do you have something similar comparing the new Harvest Moon with The Island I Grew Up On, please?

Considering just how populat Taiko's been on DS, it'll be interesting to see if that success can translate onto Wii as well.

DC R1D3R

Banned
EDarkness said:
The sad thing is, there hasn't been much exciting stuff for the Wii and it's still selling well. The PS3 hasn't gotten much either, but there have been some high profile games in recent weeks. A shame that none of them have done that well.

I'm still waiting for third parties to announce cool Wii games....

Getting real tired of Family stuff.

Yep, something's just not right!

Innotech said:
Well, I expect to original xbox to start doing amazing numbers in the near future too, cause it has to play catchup to a 21 million lead of the PS2.

Innotech said:
its handheld. It is the right type of system to get an increase in sales. If it was the Ps3 I would be surprised, but the PSP has never done badly in Japan. It outsold DS when it first launched too. So this isnt exactly unprecedented for it.
Launch numbers have never been indicative of lifetime sales. Come on, you know that. Sorry but both the arguments I quoted are a bit weak imo. :/

I think you're minimizing the success the PSP has had, and how uncommon it is. OK, it's been aided by quite a few things (big game, redesign, new colors, saturation of DS market), but it's still unusual to see a 4 year old console or handheld suddenly double or triple its sales numbers. Personally, I would've thought the PSP would never stay above the DS for more than one or two exceptional weeks, just like the GC never topped the PS2 later on in their lives, or how the N64 never topped the PS1 later on.

DC R1D3R said:
Yep, something's just not right!
It's the industry not wanting to deal with the fact that they probably should switch from console manufacturer again, especially because it's Nintendo. It looks like they're all in denial. Whether it be forecasts from developers, predictions from analysts, interviews with PR managers, articles from journalists, ... they all expect the Wii to suddenly plummet and the PS3 to suddenly rise from the ashes. It's like the regular gaming enthusiast is the only one to understand and/or having no problem with it.

jesusraz said:
Do you have something similar comparing the new Harvest Moon with The Island I Grew Up On, please?
I'll do beyond that. When making my first bunch of software groups Harvest Moon seemed an obvious choice, but some of the older games which I'd translated using Babelfish didn't have the Harvest Moon name and I figured it'd be tricky to find them. However, it just struck me that I should search using the Japanese name instead. So

Harvest Moon group.

It's a bit cluttered with so many titles, but the successful ones (read: DS ones) stick out. Looks like this year's game (black line) is doing noticeably worse than last year's game (red line), but also noticeably better than every other Harvest Moon game; not counting the SNES/PS1/GB/GBC entries which aren't included.

Souldriver said:
It outsold DS when it first launched too.
Not when it first launched, but from ~1 month after launch to ~3 months after launch.

Innotech

Banned
mabuza said:
innotech downplaying a sony system's sucess? gtfo.
Im not downplaying a damned thing. I just said that the system selling like it is for a few months is not unprecedented nor is it unbelievable. even Gamecube had sales spikes at times. It is dependent on game releases and in this case PSP got a game with Pokemon like legs. How is this a bad thing?

test_account

XP-39C²
Innotech said:
Didnt some people predict that the PSP would reach a LTD of about 6 million or something? Now its getting closer to 9.5 million and still counting. This prediction (if i remember right that it was a LTD on about 6 million) might have been made before the PSP Slim was known though, but still, it shows that PSP still had some potential in it left.

Rock_Man

famitsu-dspsp-080511.png

jarrod

Banned
Yeah, PSP's really turned it around stunningly (at least hardware wise). A year ago it had been basically written off for SS/N64 territory.

Sort of funny though, that it's surged when developers basically abandoned it, meanwhile it's first few years when the platform was getting AAA games from nearly every major developer it was floundering. Software sales still are really problem, but it doesn't seem like it's going to get much in terms of new support to really turn that around either. :/

Innotech said:
Im not downplaying a damned thing. I just said that the system selling like it is for a few months is not unprecedented nor is it unbelievable. even Gamecube had sales spikes at times. It is dependent on game releases and in this case PSP got a game with Pokemon like legs. How is this a bad thing?
Ehh, I dunno. If you can think of another time when a distant-second console started doing much better than it previously had for such a longer period of time, I'd be interested in hearing about it. Outside of the holidays, GameCube was lucky to reach 35K for a single week when a big game would hit.

luxe7

Neo Member
Souldriver said:
Well, I expect to original xbox to start doing amazing numbers in the near future too, cause it has to play catchup to a 21 million lead of the PS2.

I think you're minimizing the success the PSP has had, and how uncommon it is. OK, it's been aided by quite a few things (big game, redesign, new colors, saturation of DS market), but it's still unusual to see a 4 year old console or handheld suddenly double or triple its sales numbers. Personally, I would've thought the PSP would never stay above the DS for more than one or two exceptional weeks, just like the GC never topped the PS2 later on in their lives, or how the N64 never topped the PS1 later on.

but the GC and N64 didnt have redesigns, and for now we dont know if the boom in sales of the psp is because the handled is now the favorite system of japan or only is having massive rebuys, the clues in software say that the system is not now the leader system , so we cant talk now about a success story, is really the psp a success, or something like success?

luxe7 said:
but the GC and N64 didnt have redesigns, and for now we dont know if the boom in sales of the psp is because the handled is now the favorite system of japan or only is having massive rebuys, the clues in software say that the system is not now the leader system , so we cant talk now about a success story, is really the psp a success, or something like success?
I knew software was going to be brought up. But I wasn't talking about that. Was just stating that a distant second console suddenly pulling ahead of everything else by a large margin for 8 consecutive weeks is not "normal". I don't think it has ever happened.

luxe7

Neo Member
Souldriver said:
I knew software was going to be brought up. But I wasn't talking about that. Was just stating that a distant second console suddenly pulling ahead of everything else by a large margin for 8 consecutive weeks is not "normal". I don't think it has ever happened.

the psp has your merits, have very good strategies (psp slim,color ,mh2g, etc) and deserves this hw sales, but we cant ignore the ds situation, i think maybe the ds sold units very fast, and now need a new redesign or somenthing.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
luxe7 said:
but the GC and N64 didnt have redesigns

Didn't they have different colors released though? And I even remember a weird-looking Pokemon-branded N64 being released.

Top Bottom