• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MoviePass (Unlimited Films in Theaters) Drops to $9.95 a Month

Arttemis

Did you try to buy an e-ticket at a theater not in your area in the first week? That should be the only way you got charged, triggering an e-ticket (even if you didn't use it), otherwise you shouldn't be charged until you actually you first use the moviepass card.
That's false. Their billing system is inconsistent. My girlfriend and I were both billed hours after ordering. I ordered on the evening of the 16th and was billed on the 17th. I didn't even download the app until almost two weeks later. A month later, I clicked e-tickets once and was denied the ability to even use it due to not even having the last 4 digits.

I honestly expect to receive the card after the October 8th deadline that the CEO promised.

Clawww

Think I'm gonna catch Mulan tomorrow. Hopefully it's not totally full of kids, but it should be worth the potential awkwardness.

Ric Flair

Banned
Seriously, how is this company staying afloat right now? If someone uses the thing twice a month they're taking a loss, hell even once in some theaters

louiedog

Seriously, how is this company staying afloat right now? If someone uses the thing twice a month they're taking a loss, hell even once in some theaters

Investors gave them a bunch of money which they're using for growth at the moment. They'd never be profitable without plenty of customers so they're taking that investment and using it to grow their users and will worry about profitability later.

Sean

Banned

Yep, the very first ticket I got with my MoviePass cost $13.56. And so far during my first billing month I've seen 8 movies for a total of $107.23 in tickets.

It's hard to imagine this lasting more than a few months.

They are getting money from investors, money from selling data to companies, and money from subscriptions. A part of their business model no doubt banks on people paying for the subscription and forgetting to use it. And they have been running this service for a few years at a higher price point, so they probably have a decent amount of data on how many people actually match that behavior pattern.

Although even with all of this I full expect them to pull a price increase within six months.

Chris1

Yep, the very first ticket I got with my MoviePass cost $13.56. And so far during my first billing month I've seen 8 movies for a total of $107.23 in tickets.

It's hard to imagine this lasting more than a few months.

People would have said the same thing about Netflix when it was first starting out though, I think it's just easier to say it now because you know how much you're costing them. But Netflix was like $7? for hundreds of movies and TV shows that no doubt cost them hundreds of millions and that still worked out pretty good for them.

I honestly think somehow this will work out, not sure how but I think it's gonna work out in the end. I'm from the UK and we don't even have it yet so I don't have any experience with it or anything clouding my judgement.

I don't know how exactly they will keep it going but I believe they will. But if it does come to the UK I'd be in the cinemas pretty much every day so I'm part of the problem lol

But I agree with a price increase, not sure about within 6 months but definitely at some point "soon". However it won't be up to like $50 a month again, probably like $15-$20 which is still a steal

Kimawolf

So i used this to see Kingsman. I admit I felt kinda like i was getting something over lol. But i really like it. I just saw American Assassin today and will probably go see something else wed or so.

gatti-man

It's a pump and dump. HMNY owns movie pass and they are pumping investors full of nonsense to inflate their stock price. Then they will issue new stock at a high price which will get them to IPO for MP as it's own company with HMNY majority stake holder and take in the cash before ever turning a profit. Investors are totally falling for it too.

Sean

Banned
People would have said the same thing about Netflix when it was first starting out though, I think it's just easier to say it now because you know how much you're costing them. But Netflix was like $7? for hundreds of movies and TV shows that no doubt cost them hundreds of millions and that still worked out pretty good for them.

I honestly think somehow this will work out, not sure how but I think it's gonna work out in the end. I'm from the UK and we don't even have it yet so I don't have any experience with it or anything clouding my judgement.

I don't know how exactly they will keep it going but I believe they will. But if it does come to the UK I'd be in the cinemas pretty much every day so I'm part of the problem lol

But I agree with a price increase, not sure about within 6 months but definitely at some point "soon". However it won't be up to like $50 a month again, probably like $15-$20 which is still a steal

Netflix is primarily back catalog stuff though, they're not streaming first-run movies that are currently in theaters. It's a lot easier and cheaper to license streaming rights to old episodes of Malcolm in the Middle or whatever and then pay the minimal bandwidth costs to stream those. They also have the benefit of dealing with the studios directly rather than a middle man (the movie theaters).

And even Netflix realized very early on (when Starz pulled all their stuff) that they can't have the survival of their company rely on others, so they shifted their strategy to focus more on producing original content. Which was very smart on their part because now we're seeing things like Disney pulling their catalog to create their own competing streaming service.

I'd love for MoviePass to stick around, the service is absolutely amazing and a steal in the current form. But when you hear their CEO discuss his business plans and his hopes that theater chains will give MoviePass cheaper tickets and cut them in on profits, none of it sounds realistic at all. What's going to ultimately happen is that movie theaters will introduce their own monthly subscription services which might cost more but offer better perks and more convenience features (online ordering, reserved seating, etc) that MoviePass can't.

gcubed

Used this yesterday finally and it was so easy. Actually worked out in my favor, got full price on my card during a matinee. The difference covered most of my sons ticket (Ninjago Movie).

Actually going to be using this a lot in the upcoming weeks. I'll see more movies in the next 3 months then I did in the last 3 years

Ordered this a month ago. No card. Still says processing.

Girlfriend is in the same boat. We ordered the same day and I finished the order about 5-10 minutes before her.

I got my card 3 weeks ago and she's still waiting for hers. It's a complete luck of the draw, really. Looks like there is no rhyme or reason to these things.

lush

It's the 40 day mark for me, Informed Delivery is a big negative for today. Caved and went to see mother! on Friday evening which ended up being a fun watch so I'm glad I didn't miss the chance to see it in theaters.

I didn't receive the newest mass email people received but thankfully like most communications from MoviePass it doesn't seem to really mean anything.

skybald

Pay $15 to be a Stubs Premeire member with AMC and watch as the points for free concessions come rolling in.

In fact, if you belong to any Loyalty program at a theater, you are making out with movie pass

My AMC guy reminded me to use it as much as possible before they ban it.
Man even at 9:30 last night the place was hopping. I think MP is really helping and they'll change their mind.

Compbros

Trying to get an eticket and it keeps telling me it can't reserve my seat. I see it's available, I select it, it says it couldn't lock it/can't reserve it, I see the seat is unavailable, select another, process repeats. Even chose a front row seat that no one would pick to make sure I wasbt just getting sniped unluckily.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Used this yesterday finally and it was so easy. Actually worked out in my favor, got full price on my card during a matinee. The difference covered most of my sons ticket (Ninjago Movie).
Yeah, I saw Kingsman with my girlfriend on Friday, and the card covered about $2 more than one ticket, so I paid less for hers than I should have.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I activated on September 11th and I've gone to seven movies so far.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I'm still waiting for my damn card to show up...been like 2 weeks now. I paid for a movie like a fucking commoner yesterday, too.

sinonobu

Banned
Wait so does this actually work? I'm on the verge of getting it right now.

Edit : If it does can I use this on special showings like Ghibli?

I'm still waiting for my damn card to show up...been like 2 weeks now. I paid for a movie like a fucking commoner yesterday, too.

2 weeks?! you complaining about 2 weeks?

I am now a month and 1 week deep in waiting. It said it shipped for a month, and then a week ago changed to processing and I still don't have my fucking card.

do not cry about 2 fucking weeks

dickroach

If it does can I use this on special showings like Ghibli?

nope
but theaters (like smaller art house theaters) that change up their movies daily are fine

it's stupid because the Ghibli tickets at the theater by me are $12, at a theater where everything else is like $15

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
2 weeks?! you complaining about 2 weeks?

I am now a month and 1 week deep in waiting. It said it shipped for a month, and then a week ago changed to processing and I still don't have my fucking card.

do not cry about 2 fucking weeks

Oh I'm going to cry about it, because I'm an impatient little bitch, but your story is making my tears feel less justified.

TI82

Banned
Finally got it today, was gonna watch MNF and do homework but maybe I should test this out :)

Hopefully they streamline the process since my girlfriend still hasn't ordered....!

Edit: you'll get a shipping email when it actually ships so that is your key to knowing. I ordered August 16 btw

Havok1313

Finally got mine as well; ordered August 17th. Now to see what movies are actually still in theaters. I haven't seen any all summer..

Brooklyn_Mood

Neo Member
I love this so much, being from NYC, a movie ticket for me costs 16.29 at the AMC in Times Sq so this paid for itself the first time I used it, and even so, I'm still on my 2 week trial lol.

And the even better thing is that you can use your AMC stubs account and accumulate points too and then use that for concessions, so damn good lol. I've already used about 20 bucks in AMC money for popcorn and drinks so sometimes all I'm paying for might be like 3 bucks for the whole movie experience lol!

Top Bottom